NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Rahviveh

Gold

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Post by Rahviveh » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:42 pm

pastapplicant wrote:
02889 wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:What does everyone think about EDing and paying sticker for NYU?
It's what I'm aiming for. I guess there's an extremely slim chance I could score an RTK, but for me I think the real hurdle with a median GPA and 1-point-below-median LSAT is just getting in at all.
I know the consensus here is that ED = sticker, but I myself and a few of my classmates EDed to NYU last year and received generous scholarships so don't count out financial aid completely.
Need or merit based? Would you want to share how much we are talking? (PM if you want)

cruelestgame

Bronze

Post by cruelestgame » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:47 pm

Hey everyone. Don't wanna derail the thread but I'm a current 2L and more than happy to help if anyone has any questions about applying or the school.

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:50 pm

cruelestgame wrote:Hey everyone. Don't wanna derail the thread but I'm a current 2L and more than happy to help if anyone has any questions about applying or the school.
Favorite and least favorite things about the school? How did you end up at NYU/what factors went into your decision? Are you happy with your decision?

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:57 pm

cruelestgame wrote:Hey everyone. Don't wanna derail the thread but I'm a current 2L and more than happy to help if anyone has any questions about applying or the school.
- your thoughts on how OCI went?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:28 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
also, we could use your input on EIW over here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=164059

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Aeronomie

New

Post by Aeronomie » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:35 am

Checking in! Good luck to everyone!

VasaVasori

Silver

Post removed.

Post by VasaVasori » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:00 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by VasaVasori on Sun May 10, 2015 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pastapplicant

New

Post by pastapplicant » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:24 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
pastapplicant wrote:
02889 wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:What does everyone think about EDing and paying sticker for NYU?
It's what I'm aiming for. I guess there's an extremely slim chance I could score an RTK, but for me I think the real hurdle with a median GPA and 1-point-below-median LSAT is just getting in at all.
I know the consensus here is that ED = sticker, but I myself and a few of my classmates EDed to NYU last year and received generous scholarships so don't count out financial aid completely.
Need or merit based? Would you want to share how much we are talking? (PM if you want)
Need based scholarship is largely a myth for law schools, but I felt NYU actually did take into account need based even a little bit. I know at least 3 ED ppl here including myself who received Dean Scholarships which usually range from 50K-75K.

cruelestgame

Bronze

Post by cruelestgame » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:34 pm

moonman157 wrote:
Favorite and least favorite things about the school? How did you end up at NYU/what factors went into your decision? Are you happy with your decision?
sorry for the delay...things are a little crazy with the power out and all.

i suppose currently that's my least favorite thing :) but seriously, it's probably the lack of feedback at any point during the semester for some classes. i think this is not really an nyu thing but rather a law school thing...but i definitely know of other schools that have at least a midterm or some type of other formalized (or even informal) process in place....that and the fact that dean ricky just stepped down. (not that it's really something to worry about, he was just a cool guy)

favorite thing is definitely the people. hard to beat. sure there are some people who think they are the smartest thing, but most are laid back and just looking to have fun and understand we are all in it together. not having lawyering be graded is also HUGE, don't underestimate that. and career services is actually really helpful and good about trying to find something for everyone.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cruelestgame

Bronze

Post by cruelestgame » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:36 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
um obviously anecdotal, but i'd say that it was probably around the same as last year. although i feel like it may have been a little bit harder securing as many cb's and offers from those cb's than last year. most of the people who wanted something got something out of eiw, but obviously there are a couple who were not so lucky. i don't think it's reflective on the school at all, and just pure speculation, but i'd say at least 3 out of every 4 go something (at least)

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:23 am

App is in! Here we go!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:52 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:App is in! Here we go!
hell yes!

alldabest13

New

Post by alldabest13 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:08 pm

171 lsat 3.53 gpa what are my chances regular decision and would it drastically help to ED

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:21 pm

cruelestgame wrote:
moonman157 wrote:
sorry for the delay...things are a little crazy with the power out and all.

i suppose currently that's my least favorite thing :) but seriously, it's probably the lack of feedback at any point during the semester for some classes. i think this is not really an nyu thing but rather a law school thing...but i definitely know of other schools that have at least a midterm or some type of other formalized (or even informal) process in place....that and the fact that dean ricky just stepped down. (not that it's really something to worry about, he was just a cool guy)

favorite thing is definitely the people. hard to beat. sure there are some people who think they are the smartest thing, but most are laid back and just looking to have fun and understand we are all in it together. not having lawyering be graded is also HUGE, don't underestimate that. and career services is actually really helpful and good about trying to find something for everyone.
Sorry for the dumb question, but is this Legal Research and Writing? And what in particular is great about it not being graded? Thanks!

Bronze

Post by 02889 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:22 pm

alldabest13 wrote:171 lsat 3.53 gpa what are my chances regular decision and would it drastically help to ED
Data from lawschoolnumbers.com is pretty limited for your numbers, but someone with a 3.58/171 was accepted ED last year, and the RD folks with those numbers (of which there were like 3) tended to be WL'd. A 3.6/171 ultimately got accepted off the WL. However, the sample size is so low it's hard to know. An ED app would likely help, but how much isn't possible to say.

pastapplicant

New

Post by pastapplicant » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:24 pm

It is great because first of all you will that much less stress when you have to juggle other classes as well. Second, writing can be arbitrarily graded so you don't have to deal with that too. If you are thinking, "but it will be an extra opportunity to differentiate myself!", it really isn't since you are not special especially if you go to a top school.

Bronze

Post by 02889 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:48 pm

pastapplicant wrote:you are not special
That pretty much sums up what this application process has taught me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:07 pm

02889 wrote:
pastapplicant wrote:you are not special
That pretty much sums up what this application process has taught me.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:47 pm

pastapplicant wrote:It is great because first of all you will that much less stress when you have to juggle other classes as well. Second, writing can be arbitrarily graded so you don't have to deal with that too. If you are thinking, "but it will be an extra opportunity to differentiate myself!", it really isn't since you are not special especially if you go to a top school.
Trust me, the good outweighs the bad. At schools with graded, the point is to just get a P, rather than an LP or whatever. HPs are fairly tough to get, and lawyering grading is fucking silly sometimes and the profs all have drastically different standards. For instance, I've written things that would be just fine in several other lawyering (legal writing) classes but my prof is very picky. I probably wouldn't be doing great if it were graded.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:48 pm

alldabest13 wrote:171 lsat 3.53 gpa what are my chances regular decision and would it drastically help to ED
WL RD. ED, I'll give you 75% chance as long as our median didn't get back to 172 (which I'm sure it didn't).

chickpea

Bronze

Post by chickpea » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:01 pm

hi! so i'm considering applying ED to NYU but i can't seem to quite make up my mind. i would really love your advice!

My GPA is 3.9 (I went to an ivy) and I scored a 166 on the LSAT (blah) but will be retaking in December. My softs are really strong. I was scoring around 172 on my practice tests so I'm pretty confident confident I'll be able to hit at least 170 on the December test if I don't freak out like i did during the October test. There's never a guarantee though, and I do get pretty nervous during these tests.

Anyways, i'm considering applying to NYU ED since my LSAT score is way below their median and ED might give some kind of shot at getting in. I would be ecstatic if I did get in but then again I know that if I score above 170 in December and somehow get into NYU ED I'll be kicking myself and wondering if I could have had a shot at HYS.

Of course, the most likely outcome is that I will be rejected or waitlisted by NYU ED. In some ways that would be the ideal outcome for me since I'll know I gave getting into NYU my best shot but still have to the opportunity to improve my LSAT score and, if that works out, take my shot at HYS. Oh, and I won't be applying for financial aid.

What do you guys think?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

permapress

New

Post by permapress » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:16 pm

checking in! so excited to finally send in my app today. good luck everybody!

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:47 pm

chickpea wrote:hi! so i'm considering applying ED to NYU but i can't seem to quite make up my mind. i would really love your advice!

My GPA is 3.9 (I went to an ivy) and I scored a 166 on the LSAT (blah) but will be retaking in December. My softs are really strong. I was scoring around 172 on my practice tests so I'm pretty confident confident I'll be able to hit at least 170 on the December test if I don't freak out like i did during the October test. There's never a guarantee though, and I do get pretty nervous during these tests.

Anyways, i'm considering applying to NYU ED since my LSAT score is way below their median and ED might give some kind of shot at getting in. I would be ecstatic if I did get in but then again I know that if I score above 170 in December and somehow get into NYU ED I'll be kicking myself and wondering if I could have had a shot at HYS.

Of course, the most likely outcome is that I will be rejected or waitlisted by NYU ED. In some ways that would be the ideal outcome for me since I'll know I gave getting into NYU my best shot but still have to the opportunity to improve my LSAT score and, if that works out, take my shot at HYS. Oh, and I won't be applying for financial aid.

What do you guys think?
Don't ED. You wont get into NYU with your current score anyways (even with ED) and if you score higher you almost certainly wouldnt want to ED. Good luck in December!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:57 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
chickpea wrote:hi! so i'm considering applying ED to NYU but i can't seem to quite make up my mind. i would really love your advice!

What do you guys think?
Don't ED. You wont get into NYU with your current score anyways (even with ED) and if you score higher you almost certainly wouldnt want to ED. Good luck in December!
On the flipside, depending on chickpea's desire to attend NYU and how strongly (s)he believes (s)he will get a significantly better score, it might make sense to ED. Your score won't come out until well after the ED deadline, so if you don't get in and you get a much better score, you won't be bound to NYU, while if you do get in and think that the improvement would have been minimal, you've made the right call. I think I side with Papi on this, but there is definitely an argument that EDing would make sense.

chickpea

Bronze

Post by chickpea » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:59 pm

wait, won't NYU make a decision about my ED application before my December LSAT score becomes available? if not you're probably right that I shouldn't apply ED. thanks for the good luck wishes!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”