NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
amsong

Bronze

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Post by amsong » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:42 pm

Ye who have confirmed a spot on the waitlist: did you get an email back? I haven't. I can't tell if NYU is just super slow about this.

KanyeShrug

Silver

Post by KanyeShrug » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:25 pm

Also replied to the email, confirming I'd like to remain on the wait list. Also have not gotten an email back. No worries.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:24 pm

KanyeShrug wrote:Also replied to the email, confirming I'd like to remain on the wait list. Also have not gotten an email back. No worries.
ty for posting this. i forgot to respond to the email. i just did now. i hope they dont take that as a sign i dont want it,.,

Jaqen

Silver

Post by Jaqen » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:52 pm

toothbrush wrote:
KanyeShrug wrote:Also replied to the email, confirming I'd like to remain on the wait list. Also have not gotten an email back. No worries.
ty for posting this. i forgot to respond to the email. i just did now. i hope they dont take that as a sign i dont want it,.,
Same here actually.

ana.pal

New

Post by ana.pal » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:44 am

Can WLs go to ASW? Does visiting make a difference for getting off the WL?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GoldHattedGatsby

Bronze

Post by GoldHattedGatsby » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:52 am

ana.pal wrote:Can WLs go to ASW? Does visiting make a difference for getting off the WL?
No, and not really—very little difference if any, maybe just fodder for an LOCI.

sd1234

Bronze

Post by sd1234 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:19 am

Quick question for you all...I wrote to the financial aid office appealing my aid decision and telling them about my Chicago, Duke, and potential money from Penn (among others lower ranked schools). It's been a week and a half and I haven't heard a word. Is that normal and should I be patient?

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:22 am

sd1234 wrote:Quick question for you all...I wrote to the financial aid office appealing my aid decision and telling them about my Chicago, Duke, and potential money from Penn (among others lower ranked schools). It's been a week and a half and I haven't heard a word. Is that normal and should I be patient?
1) Did you email, or did you submit this via the financial aid portal? If they haven't yet activated the My Appeal tab on your portal, then definitely call. From what I know, that has to happen for them to formally consider your appeal.

2) Did you get an offer from NYU initially or no? If you're working with the April 22 deadline, I would definitely call. If you're working with the May 3 deadline AND you've already submitted your appeal via faaps, I would hold off.

sd1234

Bronze

Post by sd1234 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:26 am

ph5354a wrote:
sd1234 wrote:Quick question for you all...I wrote to the financial aid office appealing my aid decision and telling them about my Chicago, Duke, and potential money from Penn (among others lower ranked schools). It's been a week and a half and I haven't heard a word. Is that normal and should I be patient?
1) Did you email, or did you submit this via the financial aid portal? If they haven't yet activated the My Appeal tab on your portal, then definitely call. From what I know, that has to happen for them to formally consider your appeal.

2) Did you get an offer from NYU initially or no? If you're working with the April 22 deadline, I would definitely call. If you're working with the May 3 deadline AND you've already submitted your appeal via faaps, I would hold off.
I got diddly to begin with. and I e-mailed because I couldn't find a My Appeal tab on my portal. I live abroad so I'm not sure if I'll be able to call but will definitely try at least with Skype. Thanks for the advice!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:29 am

sd1234 wrote:
ph5354a wrote:

I got diddly to begin with. and I e-mailed because I couldn't find a My Appeal tab on my portal. I live abroad so I'm not sure if I'll be able to call but will definitely try at least with Skype. Thanks for the advice!
Okay. Yeah, the way it has worked is that once you initially email, they respond back saying that they've activated the My Appeal section (it's not there originally) and asking you to upload your statement/supporting documents in that section. If they haven't responded back with those instructions yet, I would definitely follow-up or try to call, because it probably means they haven't really evaluated your appeal yet. Good luck!

sd1234

Bronze

Post by sd1234 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:36 am

ph5354a wrote:
sd1234 wrote:
ph5354a wrote:

Okay. Yeah, the way it has worked is that once you initially email, they respond back saying that they've activated the My Appeal section (it's not there originally) and asking you to upload your statement/supporting documents in that section. If they haven't responded back with those instructions yet, I would definitely follow-up or try to call, because it probably means they haven't really evaluated your appeal yet. Good luck!
Wow they were very helpful. Activated it within a minute of me calling. Thanks!

rosietheriveter

New

Post by rosietheriveter » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:22 pm

DLS just now.

Sorry to repeat a question that I'm sure has been asked and answered hundreds of times, but does this necessarily mean WL/ding or could it be admit?

rosietheriveter

New

Post by rosietheriveter » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:34 pm

rosietheriveter wrote:DLS just now.

Sorry to repeat a question that I'm sure has been asked and answered hundreds of times, but does this necessarily mean WL/ding or could it be admit?
I'm an arse, sorry. Just read back and figured it out. Anyone else DLS?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:39 pm

rosietheriveter wrote:

But you redeemed yourself by using the word "arse" :D Good luck!

cheerios16

New

Post by cheerios16 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:02 pm

ph5354a wrote:
rosietheriveter wrote:

But you redeemed yourself by using the word "arse" :D Good luck!
I am DLS too. Good luck!

rosietheriveter

New

Post by rosietheriveter » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:05 pm

WL by email just now

cheerios16

New

Post by cheerios16 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:10 pm

rosietheriveter wrote:WL by email just now
+1 was expected

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

GoldHattedGatsby

Bronze

Post by GoldHattedGatsby » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:53 pm

Is NYU's waitlist known for being especially large (in proportion to class size) or particularly difficult to get in off of?

gbelle

Bronze

Post by gbelle » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:11 pm

GoldHattedGatsby wrote:Is NYU's waitlist known for being especially large (in proportion to class size) or particularly difficult to get in off of?
I actually just spoke with someone in the admissions department today. They didn't want to give me details about the size of the waitlist, but he did inform me that some years they take no one off the waitlist, while others they take many.

Not sure if that helps...

GoldHattedGatsby

Bronze

Post by GoldHattedGatsby » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:37 pm

gbelle wrote:
GoldHattedGatsby wrote:Is NYU's waitlist known for being especially large (in proportion to class size) or particularly difficult to get in off of?
I actually just spoke with someone in the admissions department today. They didn't want to give me details about the size of the waitlist, but he did inform me that some years they take no one off the waitlist, while others they take many.

Not sure if that helps...

That's pretty much the standard line every school gives every year.

chadbrochill

Bronze

Post by chadbrochill » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:08 pm

I hope this is not one of the years they take no one :|

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

amsong

Bronze

Post by amsong » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:32 pm

No email confirmation, but status checker confirms that I accepted a spot on the waitlist.

atomist

New

Post by atomist » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:18 am

first time posting. I'm in for the long haul as well.

I looked up last year's cycle on LSN and apparently they admitted at least 29 students off the waitlist. about 20 had at scores at or above at least one median. a handful were URM and about 5 had scores under both medians. this reflects the fact that there were a number of acceptances reported on last year's WL thread.

also, the email we got says that a few hundred applicants are put on the WL and around 20 to 40% eventually remove themselves. so assuming 300ish are WL'd and 30% decline, we should expect that the active pool will be just over 200. if last year is any indication, it's possible they'll admit several dozen off the WL. so 50 students?

anyone think my math is crazy? a one in four shot isn't that bad.

chadbrochill

Bronze

Post by chadbrochill » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:37 am

Wow, so I'm not big on comparing direct #'s of last year to this year given the "historic" drop in applicants, but the LSN results were interesting.

Last year:
Admitted: 341
Denied: 108
WL: 98
WL-admits: 30

This year:
Admitted: 318
Denied: 105
WL:65
WL-admits:??

I figured they were utilizing WL super heavily this year since the only people they've let in the past 4 months have been mostly superstars. The number admitted hasn't been that different, especially considering they might want to cut class size. Not sure what any of this means given LSN is self-reported but just throwing it out there for you guys.

GoldHattedGatsby

Bronze

Post by GoldHattedGatsby » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:19 am

chadbrochill wrote:Wow, so I'm not big on comparing direct #'s of last year to this year given the "historic" drop in applicants, but the LSN results were interesting.

Last year:
Admitted: 341
Denied: 108
WL: 98
WL-admits: 30

This year:
Admitted: 318
Denied: 105
WL:65
WL-admits:??

I figured they were utilizing WL super heavily this year since the only people they've let in the past 4 months have been mostly superstars. The number admitted hasn't been that different, especially considering they might want to cut class size. Not sure what any of this means given LSN is self-reported but just throwing it out there for you guys.
Did you compile those stats by hand from LSN?

Also, love the username. It's quite apropos considering Donald Glover & co. created that video while at NYU!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”