NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jubee

Bronze

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Post by jubee » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:24 pm

elterrible78 wrote:
shntn wrote:
jubee wrote: how long ago did you guys submit your fafsa/need access? wondering what the turn around time typically is.
FAFSA last week, Need Access on Monday.
Need Access a couple weeks ago, FAFSA on Monday. Pretty quick turnaround, I'm impressed. I was an early December admit.
thanks for the responses guys! I have a random question about need access....did any of you say yes to the sections asking if they are allowed to disclose your/parental info for purpose of reporting as recipient of funds and/or to outside parties for scholarship consideration. It just seemed vague to me but I didn't want to say no if that somehow affected my chances at $...

Audeamus

Bronze

Post by Audeamus » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:26 pm

just out of curiosity, did anyone on here apply for RTK?

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:27 pm

jubee wrote:did any of you say yes to the sections asking if they are allowed to disclose your/parental info for purpose of reporting as recipient of funds and/or to outside parties for scholarship consideration. It just seemed vague to me but I didn't want to say no if that somehow affected my chances at $$...
I said yes, though I doubt it'll make a difference. I'm guessing it's for organizations/foundations that offer specific scholarships (X ethnicity from X state with X background, etc.) so they would ask schools if they have anyone that matches their criteria and if you said yes, schools would be able to release info to them for consideration. It can't hurt, but you're probably not missing out on a whole lot if you're uncomfortable with it.

clouded.memory

Bronze

Post by clouded.memory » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:28 pm

ph5354a wrote:Congrats to all of those of you with scholarships! For those who heard today, are any of you January admits? Trying to figure out if admit-date is correlated to when you get your scholarship package or not. Also, did any of you also apply to a named scholarship or no? Thanks!
Not a January admit, but I did apply for the RTK scholarship. No word on that yet, though.
ph5354a wrote:
jubee wrote:did any of you say yes to the sections asking if they are allowed to disclose your/parental info for purpose of reporting as recipient of funds and/or to outside parties for scholarship consideration. It just seemed vague to me but I didn't want to say no if that somehow affected my chances at $$...
I said yes, though I doubt it'll make a difference. I'm guessing it's for organizations/foundations that offer specific scholarships (X ethnicity from X state with X background, etc.) so they would ask schools if they have anyone that matches their criteria and if you said yes, schools would be able to release info to them for consideration. It can't hurt, but you're probably not missing out on a whole lot if you're uncomfortable with it.
I said yes for this, as well.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:28 pm

shntn wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Congrats Shntn, that's an awesome offer!

It seems like just yesterday Sunny was telling me that I "suck at life" when I pointed out how amusing it was that CCN w/ money locks where sweating out getting into the Vandys and the Michigans of the law school world. This cycle has been a trying and stressful one for us all but I am glad to have suffered through it with this group. I mean that sincerely.

Congrats bro, you deserve it!
Thanks, it's definitely an interesting offer that I honestly wasn't expecting. And +1 to the stressful cycle. The past months have been...very trying indeed.

And yeah, that was sunny being a bit protective of me. :lol:
I don't blame him, it can be hard to hear that one of your friends is going to go to one of the top 6 law schools in this country on a good scholarship. :)

Congrats on all the scholarships guys!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hyjintherye

New

Post by hyjintherye » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:52 pm

hi everyone, checking in here

submitted: 1/30/13
received: 1/31/13
complete&UR1: 2/1/13 (I believe this was UR1)
UR2: 2/7/13

fingers crossed!

az21833

Silver

Post by az21833 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:32 pm

it sounds like a lot of people have heard back on $$$ already. For those of you that have, did any of you apply for a named scholarship?

If so, does your dean scholly mean you arent getting named scholarship?
If not, does that mean they are waiting to interview you first?

and are all of these coming via email?

vincanity1

Silver

Post by vincanity1 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:43 pm

az21833 wrote:it sounds like a lot of people have heard back on $$$ already. For those of you that have, did any of you apply for a named scholarship?

If so, does your dean scholly mean you arent getting named scholarship?
If not, does that mean they are waiting to interview you first?

and are all of these coming via email?
Yeah. if I remember correctly, getting a Dean's scholarship before named scholarships were announced meant you didn't make the finalist cut

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:46 pm

vincanity1 wrote:
Yeah. if I remember correctly, getting a Dean's scholarship before named scholarships were announced meant you didn't make the finalist cut
This is good to know, thanks. I guess at least for now, no news is good news.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

believe77

New

Post by believe77 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:53 pm

Checking in as well!

Applied: 2/4 (at like 1am)
Completed: 2/4
UR 1: 2/4
UR 2: 2/6

moneyball026

Bronze

Post by moneyball026 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:53 pm

ph5354a wrote:
vincanity1 wrote:
if getting 50k from a t-6 is bad news ill take bad news any day.

az21833

Silver

Post by az21833 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:57 pm

did anybody else apply for the jacobson or hear back for anything named yet

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:58 pm

moneyball026 wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
vincanity1 wrote:
if getting 50k from a t-6 is bad news ill take bad news any day.
Haha, I didn't mean to say that getting a scholly now was bad news, but, getting a financial aid email now and finding out that not only did I not get any money, but I'm also not a finalist for the named scholarship, would be very bad news. If NYU throws a dime my way under any circumstances I will be ecstatic.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wisteria

Bronze

Post by wisteria » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:08 pm

Got a 50K + 10K (PI conditional) offer from NYU today. Don't know what to think of it as I don't have many other offers to compare it with. Still waiting for that elusive NCE from columbia, but my hope is dwindling as everyday goes by.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:14 pm

wisteria wrote:Got a 50K + 10K (PI conditional) offer from NYU today. Don't know what to think of it as I don't have many other offers to compare it with. Still waiting for that elusive NCE from columbia, but my hope is dwindling as everyday goes by.
Congrats! I'm still waiting on Columbia too...hope also dwindling. When did you get admitted to NYU?

wisteria

Bronze

Post by wisteria » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:17 pm

ph5354a wrote:
wisteria wrote:Got a 50K + 10K (PI conditional) offer from NYU today. Don't know what to think of it as I don't have many other offers to compare it with. Still waiting for that elusive NCE from columbia, but my hope is dwindling as everyday goes by.
Congrats! I'm still waiting on Columbia too...hope also dwindling. When did you get admitted to NYU?
Early in December. The finaid decision came about 4 business days after I submitted my Need Access.

orbotop

New

Post by orbotop » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:03 pm

RSterling wrote:
az21833 wrote:
RSterling wrote:After getting zilch in merit aid from NYU and 75k from UVA, I'm not considering e-mailing NYU to see if they'd be willing to reconsider my offer. What are y'all's opinion on this? I'm below median on LSAT and above 75th on GPA for NYU if that matters at this point. Is it better to start negotiating now or wait until the end of the cycle (April-ish)?
how do you know you got 0 already? unless you are anticipating getting something better, i dont think it hurts to send your uva offer and ask for something, anything. itll proabbly be like 25k
I was a December admit, and got word last friday.

ETA: Should I e-mail admissions or financial aid?
RSterling, you send that email yet? get any response?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

risa

Bronze

Post by risa » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:17 pm

is that total or per year?
did you apply for RTK?

jychun412

Bronze

Post by jychun412 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:31 pm

I got 62k (75k if PI).
I'd love to go to NYU but can I justify choosing NYU over UVA's $135k?

Audeamus

Bronze

Post by Audeamus » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:40 pm

jychun412 wrote:I got 62k (75k if PI).
depends. if i were you, i would consider the following:

(1) will I be significantly happier at NYU? if yes, you may be better off going there because you will do better, increasing your odds of long-term success.
(2) do I want to live/work in NY or VA?
(3) what do I want to get involved with in ls? are those programs/organizations/curricula comparable?
(4) will the kind of law I want to practice allow me the opportunity to pay off my debt or will I struggle with the financial burden?

also, I would definitely attend the ASWs if you can.
Last edited by Audeamus on Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wisteria

Bronze

Post by wisteria » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:42 pm

risa wrote:
is that total or per year?
did you apply for RTK?
Total. I didn't apply for any named scholarship.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jychun412

Bronze

Post by jychun412 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:06 pm

Audeamus wrote:
jychun412 wrote:I got 62k (75k if PI).
depends. if i were you, i would consider the following:

(1) will I be significantly happier at NYU? if yes, you may be better off going there because you will do better, increasing your odds of long-term success.
(2) do I want to live/work in NY or VA?
(3) what do I want to get involved with in ls? are those programs/organizations/curricula comparable?
(4) will the kind of law I want to practice allow me the opportunity to pay off my debt or will I struggle with the financial burden?

also, I would definitely attend the ASWs if you can.

Thank you Audeamus! Considering these questions, I think NYU wouldn't be a bad choice after all..

basil8

New

Post by basil8 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:50 am

went complete & UR1 1/7 and have had no movement since then in spite of an LOCI sent last week. 178/3.8 from a T5 school. i really want to be in new york but it's not looking good for either columbia or NYU. anyone have any thoughts about anything else i could do?

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:16 am

You'll be fine.

medievahe

New

Post by medievahe » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:00 pm

A quick question! I have read through parts of the thread and tried the search function but I can't seem to find the email address where I should send a LOCI. Or is that something I should snail mail?

Could anyone help me out? :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”