NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
facile princeps

Bronze

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Post by facile princeps » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:55 pm

ph5354a wrote:
kertz wrote:Wait, so they send rejection letters for the named scholarships if you're not chosen for an interview?
If you get a financial aid offer w/o an interview, that's sort of like a rejection letter, but yeah, at least last year once they sent out all interview requests they sent an email to the rest of the people saying that all the finalists have been contacted [and you weren't one of them].
Good to know. Well, until I receive such an email, I shall remain as optimistic as ever. Who's with me?

Bronze

Post by 02889 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:57 pm

facile princeps wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
kertz wrote:Wait, so they send rejection letters for the named scholarships if you're not chosen for an interview?
If you get a financial aid offer w/o an interview, that's sort of like a rejection letter, but yeah, at least last year once they sent out all interview requests they sent an email to the rest of the people saying that all the finalists have been contacted [and you weren't one of them].
Good to know. Well, until I receive such an email, I shall remain as optimistic as ever. Who's with me?

WAIT FUN FACT I'M APPARENTLY RELATED TO WILLIAM WALLACE!

Also yeah, optimistic 'til the end.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:57 pm

facile princeps wrote:
ph5354a wrote:they sent an email to the rest of the people saying that all the finalists have been contacted [and you weren't one of them].
Agreed! Despite the fact that numerous finalists for my scholarship have already been contacted bahaha. I think it's kind of nice that they do that so you're not left wondering.

Audeamus

Bronze

Post by Audeamus » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:00 pm

ph5354a wrote:
facile princeps wrote:
ph5354a wrote:they sent an email to the rest of the people saying that all the finalists have been contacted [and you weren't one of them].
Agreed! Despite the fact that numerous finalists for my scholarship have already been contacted bahaha. I think it's kind of nice that they do that so you're not left wondering.
which scholly?

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:03 pm

Audeamus wrote:
which scholly?
IILJ. There's an informal interview/not an interview on the Wednesday before the March ASW that a few people (at least 3 or 4 on TLS) have already been contacted for.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

facile princeps

Bronze

Post by facile princeps » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:04 pm

Audeamus wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
facile princeps wrote:
which scholly?
AnBryce hopeful here.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:16 pm

moonman157 wrote:Also, do people know how willing NYU is to negotiate scholarships, and what offers they'll consider?
I honestly have no idea, but I would think that your Michigan offer would be compelling. They probably wouldn't match it, but it could spur them to bump yours up to $20k.

facile princeps

Bronze

Post by facile princeps » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:21 pm

ph5354a wrote:
moonman157 wrote:Also, do people know how willing NYU is to negotiate scholarships, and what offers they'll consider?
I honestly have no idea, but I would think that your Michigan offer would be compelling. They probably wouldn't match it, but it could spur them to bump yours up to $20k.
Interesting. I'm sitting on a $135K offer from UVA. Do you think I'd have some bargaining power with that?

On that note, has anyone had any success in recent years with NYU 'matching' the likes of a UVA offer? Please PM me if you feel more comfortable.

risa

Bronze

Post by risa » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:43 pm

For those who have received financial aid offers: does it come via email?

Like some others, I am foolishly getting my hopes up that this means I'm still in consideration for RTK...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:44 pm

risa wrote:For those who have received financial aid offers: does it come via email?

Like some others, I am foolishly getting my hopes up that this means I'm still in consideration for RTK...
:wink:

Trogdorburninator

New

Post by Trogdorburninator » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:27 pm

Okay, NYU just sent an email about the ASW next week suing it was full, but on my phone all I saw was the subject "Important information" and the text of the email "I am delighted..."

Recovering from mini-panic attack.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:27 pm

Trogdorburninator wrote:Okay, NYU just sent an email about the ASW next week suing it was full, but on my phone all I saw was the subject "Important information" and the text of the email "I am delighted..."

Recovering from mini-panic attack.
I swear to god they do these things intentionally. Deep breaths.

aredhello

Bronze

Post by aredhello » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:33 pm

How are we reading the fact that only one TLSer (as far as I know) has received a RTK invite? Is it indicative of a deathly slow interview notification process, or (sadly, more likely) indicative of the fact that folks who tend to be invited to interview aren't the types to go on TLS?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FlowBro

Bronze

Post by FlowBro » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:36 pm

I assume that most who have not heard back and been UR1 since January are being soft held, likely waitlisted?

maggielizer

New

Post by maggielizer » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:56 pm

risa wrote:For those who have received financial aid offers: does it come via email?

Yep, via email.

WalkingPlato

Bronze

Post by WalkingPlato » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:55 pm

FlowBro wrote:I assume that most who have not heard back and been UR1 since January are being soft held, likely waitlisted?
I completed early January and I don't think I had a UR1 or UR2 (just says under review). I'll check again. Can't believe the deadline for the applications for many schools is February 1st (some in March) and yet they accept most of their students before Jan even hits...

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:05 pm

FlowBro wrote:I assume that most who have not heard back and been UR1 since January are being soft held, likely waitlisted?
was complete/ur1 1/9 and just went ur2 2/25, so there is still some movement happening.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sokomofo

Bronze

Post by sokomofo » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:10 pm

Last edited by sokomofo on Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:02 am

facile princeps wrote:
Audeamus wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
facile princeps wrote: Good to know. Well, until I receive such an email, I shall remain as optimistic as ever. Who's with me?
which scholly?
AnBryce hopeful here.
They don't send out these letters every year. Heads up on that. Sorry to increase anxiety, but its only fair to let you know.

Bronze

Post by 02889 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:46 am

Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:They don't send out these letters every year. Heads up on that. Sorry to increase anxiety, but its only fair to let you know.
Wow, so the only way you know you're out of consideration is if you receive notice of your financial aid package instead of an interview invitation? Do you know if this is NYU's general named scholarship policy this year or just AnBryce?

titansfan

New

Post by titansfan » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:18 pm

aredhello wrote:How are we reading the fact that only one TLSer (as far as I know) has received a RTK invite? Is it indicative of a deathly slow interview notification process, or (sadly, more likely) indicative of the fact that folks who tend to be invited to interview aren't the types to go on TLS?
For what it's worth, I got the RTK invite call this week. I have no idea whether the calls are going out all at once or gradually. A single large panel is interviewing each candidate on one day so it seems like they could also call additional people anytime someone turns down an interview slot.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

risa

Bronze

Post by risa » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:40 pm

titansfan wrote:
aredhello wrote:How are we reading the fact that only one TLSer (as far as I know) has received a RTK invite? Is it indicative of a deathly slow interview notification process, or (sadly, more likely) indicative of the fact that folks who tend to be invited to interview aren't the types to go on TLS?
For what it's worth, I got the RTK invite call this week. I have no idea whether the calls are going out all at once or gradually. A single large panel is interviewing each candidate on one day so it seems like they could also call additional people anytime someone turns down an interview slot.
Congrats! Quite the cycle, my friend. Are you planning to interview for RTK?

... so that makes 3 TLS RTK invites reported so far, by my count. Gulp.

titansfan

New

Post by titansfan » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:05 pm

risa wrote:
titansfan wrote:
Congrats! Quite the cycle, my friend. Are you planning to interview for RTK?

... so that makes 3 TLS RTK invites reported so far, by my count. Gulp.
Thanks! I'm planning to interview. Also crunching the numbers I think maybe I misspoke earlier. I thought it was a single interview panel interviewing on a single day (since offers are made the day of or day after the interviews), but I don't see how they could do enough 30-minute interviews on one day to select 20 recipients. Sorry for the misinformation.
Last edited by titansfan on Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

risa

Bronze

Post by risa » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:23 pm

Yeah, there are definitely multiple panels interviewing that day. From the selection process info on the RTK site:
Each interview panel is chaired by a federal judge, and consists of a faculty member, distinguished alumni, and current Root-Tilden-Kern scholars. Based upon the recommendation of these panels, the program directors name the Root-Tilden-Kern scholars.
ETA: Also, I'm a little unclear. Is it 20 total, including all the named ones (D'Agostino, Jacobson, Sinsheimer, etc.) or is it 20 plain RTK + all of those ones?

titansfan

New

Post by titansfan » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:30 pm

risa wrote:Yeah, there are definitely multiple panels interviewing that day. From the selection process info on the RTK site:
Each interview panel is chaired by a federal judge, and consists of a faculty member, distinguished alumni, and current Root-Tilden-Kern scholars. Based upon the recommendation of these panels, the program directors name the Root-Tilden-Kern scholars.
ETA: Also, I'm a little unclear. Is it 20 total, including all the named ones (D'Agostino, Jacobson, Sinsheimer, etc.) or is it 20 plain RTK + all of those ones?
Thanks, risa! (I'm also confused about the total number of scholarships available.)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”