NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
oscar11cheelsea

New

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Post by oscar11cheelsea » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:49 pm

171/3.8 just submitted today very much sweating it, when can i reasonably expect an answer?!

soccer88

Bronze

Post by soccer88 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:54 pm

Swimp wrote:
maggielizer wrote:So, is it credited that the first batch of ED applicants receives their admissions decision sometime in the first week of December?
Even if that's historically been true, the hurricane may have set them back this year. NYU was without power for about a week.
Actually, it's my understanding that NYU was not without power because it has its own network of backup generators. There were outages at NYU affiliated buildings--NYU Medical Center for example--but only when backup generators failed.

venus

Bronze

Post by venus » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:29 pm

soccer88 wrote:
Swimp wrote:
maggielizer wrote:So, is it credited that the first batch of ED applicants receives their admissions decision sometime in the first week of December?
Even if that's historically been true, the hurricane may have set them back this year. NYU was without power for about a week.
Actually, it's my understanding that NYU was not without power because it has its own network of backup generators. There were outages at NYU affiliated buildings--NYU Medical Center for example--but only when backup generators failed.
The whole subway system was closed for days though, bridges was closed, etc., so maybe their office wasn't open.

soccer88

Bronze

Post by soccer88 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:41 pm

venus wrote:
soccer88 wrote:
Swimp wrote:
The whole subway system was closed for days though, bridges was closed, etc., so maybe their office wasn't open.
Fair, but one can hope.

one_by_one

Bronze

Post by one_by_one » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:22 pm

venus wrote:
soccer88 wrote:
Swimp wrote:
https://twitter.com/nyulawreview/status ... 5007805440

The University was closed for the entirety of that week, which I assume means that the Admissions Office was too..

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mr. Elshal

Silver

Post by Mr. Elshal » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:03 pm

soccer88 wrote:
Swimp wrote:
I'm a student there. Trust me, the school was closed lol.
We have a cogeneration plant that powers a few buildings (like 4 or 5) but those were used for shelter and providing food for the people staying there. Also, because of the transportation system, it is doubtful that anyone was even able to make it to the office.
NYU was completely out for that entire week.

EDIT: The school did start regaining power during the week, but what I mean is that the offices were closed.

Mdenis1

Bronze

Post by Mdenis1 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:15 pm

Thank you for the info! Yup, pretty sure too we can't expect anything before January due to that.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:50 pm

one_by_one wrote:
venus wrote:
soccer88 wrote:
Swimp wrote: Even if that's historically been true, the hurricane may have set them back this year. NYU was without power for about a week.
https://twitter.com/nyulawreview/status ... 5007805440

The University was closed for the entirety of that week, which I assume means that the Admissions Office was too..
yeah, all the nonessential parts were closed. Kleinrock was at home. In bed.

one_by_one

Bronze

Post by one_by_one » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:12 pm

Last edited by one_by_one on Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Swimp

Bronze

Post by Swimp » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:30 am

Mdenis1 wrote:Thank you for the info! Yup, pretty sure too we can't expect anything before January due to that.
I don't know whether this is legally binding, but the ED contract that early applicants signed says that all early applicants will receive a decision by the end of December.

ht2988

Bronze

Post by ht2988 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:41 am

Submitted on Saturday. Haven't received anything from them acknowledging my submission. About how long does it take for folks to receive a status checker??

Update: just received my status checker, which says I'm under review!

maggielizer

New

Post by maggielizer » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:40 pm

Ugh, I keep refreshing my status checker even though I know it'll be at least a few more weeks before we hear anything.

And going through those LSN graphs makes me nervous. It seems like for the past few years nearly everyone with my stats (3.9/169) was either waitlisted or straight-up rejected.

Does anybody know where I could find a chart or graph of acceptance rates for ED applicants? (I don't even know if there's an ED boost with NYU -- their website says no, but other posters on TLS have suggested there may be a slight one).

_corsair

New

Post by _corsair » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:48 pm

maggielizer wrote:Ugh, I keep refreshing my status checker even though I know it'll be at least a few more weeks before we hear anything.

And going through those LSN graphs makes me nervous. It seems like for the past few years nearly everyone with my stats (3.9/169) was either waitlisted or straight-up rejected.

Does anybody know where I could find a chart or graph of acceptance rates for ED applicants? (I don't even know if there's an ED boost with NYU -- their website says no, but other posters on TLS have suggested there may be a slight one).
On LSN, an ED applicant with 169/3.9 was accepted last year. And in 2010, a 169/3.88 ED was accepted. The same year, a 169/3.85 ED was WL-Accepted. I think your high GPA should give you at least a bit of optimism!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:57 pm

maggielizer wrote:Ugh, I keep refreshing my status checker even though I know it'll be at least a few more weeks before we hear anything.

On LSN, ED applicants at and below your numbers have a 100% acceptance rate, so don't worry too much. :)

http://myLSN.info/j77q3p

maggielizer

New

Post by maggielizer » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:35 pm

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:

On LSN, ED applicants at and below your numbers have a 100% acceptance rate, so don't worry too much. :)

http://myLSN.info/j77q3p
Thanks, that's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for! Makes me feel a lot better. :)

ETA: Looks like a few of them got scholarship $, too!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:00 pm

Swimp wrote:
Mdenis1 wrote:Thank you for the info! Yup, pretty sure too we can't expect anything before January due to that.
I don't know whether this is legally binding, but the ED contract that early applicants signed says that all early applicants will receive a decision by the end of December.
Binding on both parties. You're promise to not go to another school if accepted under your ED contract is consideration for theirs to notify you one way or the other by the deadline.

Mdenis1

Bronze

Post by Mdenis1 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:03 pm

Swimp wrote:
True! Sorry i was referring to RD devisions but forgot to mention it :) ED should hear back in time and us RD in January (that's my guess, I could be wrong)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

amitty1019

Bronze

Post by amitty1019 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:00 am

Got an update today! Submitted 10/19, UR 10/25, and now UR at 11/21. Maybe decisions are coming out soon?

domori

New

Post by domori » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:10 am

amitty1019 wrote:Got an update today! Submitted 10/19, UR 10/25, and now UR at 11/21. Maybe decisions are coming out soon?
same here. submitted 10/25, UR 10/26, updated UR 11/21

_corsair

New

Post by _corsair » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:55 am

+1 on the status update. UR, 10/23 -> 11/21. I applied ED, and I'm really hoping they're still on track for early December decisions, but given the Sandypocalypse I can't really hold it against them if it's delayed by a week or two.

Swimp

Bronze

Post by Swimp » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:18 pm

No status update for me beyond the first UR one. I'm going to interpret that to mean that they were so impressed by my application when they first looked at it that they decided immediately to admit me.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

karina

New

Post by karina » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:21 pm

_corsair

New

Post by _corsair » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:24 pm

karina wrote:Help! Does this mean anything? http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=198575
I don't have anything listed in that section, but the fact that it says something like "Deposit Received" and "Confirmation Received," when obviously you have not paid a deposit or given them confirmation of attendance, makes me think it's a glitch or something. Perhaps call today or next week to ask about it.

edit. Just noticed that in my status checker in the Requirements List section, it says, for example, Application Received, and there's a check mark next to it indicating that it was actually received. Do you have check marks next to Tuition Deposit Received and the others? If so, definitely a glitch. If not, perhaps you're super lucky and you got in weeks before anyone else!

Swimp

Bronze

Post by Swimp » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:13 pm

Swimp wrote:No status update for me beyond the first UR one. I'm going to interpret that to mean that they were so impressed by my application when they first looked at it that they decided immediately to admit me.
Scratch that rationalization. Just updated to 11/21. So suspenseful, you guys.

maggielizer

New

Post by maggielizer » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:10 pm

Chiming in with an 11/21 update.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”