NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kcam1991

Bronze

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Post by kcam1991 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:50 pm

Just awarded the Vanderbilt full-tuition scholly by snailmail!! AA URM. Stats in profile

Bronze

Post by 02889 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:51 pm

Congrats to all the Vanderbilt & merit scholarship recipients! It seems like NYU is trying hard to make a play for all you HYS types.

alldabest13

New

Post by alldabest13 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:20 pm

Surprisingly I received some scholly money even though I applied ED. But now I am wondering if I should appeal and ask for more money. Is there any chance they would actually decrease my original scholly and what do you think I should say.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:23 pm

alldabest13 wrote:Surprisingly I received some scholly money even though I applied ED. But now I am wondering if I should appeal and ask for more money. Is there any chance they would actually decrease my original scholly and what do you think I should say.
99% sure they wouldn't decrease.

If you need more money ask soon and say that NYU remains your top choice but with scholly offers from other schools (if you have none, you really have no leverage tbqh) you're unsure if you can bear the financial burden but remain committed to attend NYU if it would more affordable..

alldabest13

New

Post by alldabest13 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:30 pm

toothbrush wrote:
alldabest13 wrote:Surprisingly I received some scholly money even though I applied ED. But now I am wondering if I should appeal and ask for more money. Is there any chance they would actually decrease my original scholly and what do you think I should say.

If you need more money ask soon and say that NYU remains your top choice but with scholly offers from other schools (if you have none, you really have no leverage tbqh) you're unsure if you can bear the financial burden but remain committed to attend NYU if it would more affordable..

I ED'd so basically have no other option other than attending NYU, thats why I'm confused they gave me any money, but now that they did I am curious if I can negotiate (without any leverage) for some more $$

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

trojandave

Bronze

Post by trojandave » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:39 pm

alldabest13 wrote:
toothbrush wrote:

I ED'd so basically have no other option other than attending NYU, thats why I'm confused they gave me any money, but now that they did I am curious if I can negotiate (without any leverage) for some more $$
Heh, it's not really negotiating, it's asking. But you've got nothing to lose so why not?

alldabest13

New

Post by alldabest13 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:45 pm

trojandave wrote:
alldabest13 wrote:
toothbrush wrote:

Heh, it's not really negotiating, it's asking. But you've got nothing to lose so why not?
Ha yea more like begging, but there's no way they'll decrease their offer right?

bbsg

Bronze

Post by bbsg » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:12 pm

I still haven't got my original admission letter (admitted 1/17). Stupid postal system.

trojandave

Bronze

Post by trojandave » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:42 pm

alldabest13 wrote:
trojandave wrote:
alldabest13 wrote:

Ha yea more like begging, but there's no way they'll decrease their offer right?
I guess it's possible but that's a pretty dick way for them to start you on a 3 year journey and they want you to be excited to attend. It seems like bad faith and they'd potentially risk huge negative fallout. Just be humble and thankful and likeable, don't demand or expect anything, and I think you'll be fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

az21833

Silver

Post by az21833 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:03 am

maybe they are only giving money to ed this early?

GertrudeR

New

Post by GertrudeR » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:28 am

I didn't ED... I think it just happens pretty quickly after you do FAFSA and need access.

mcb0902

New

Post by mcb0902 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:13 pm

GertrudeR wrote:I didn't ED... I think it just happens pretty quickly after you do FAFSA and need access.
+1

I submitted FAFSA and Need Access approx three weeks ago and received a fairly sizable Dean's on Friday. Apparently NYU manages a fast turn around on just about everything they do, which I for one am a fan of.

az21833

Silver

Post by az21833 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:37 pm

nice. im gona get my need in asap and hope i get some of this $$$ before it runs out! just did fafsa yesterday. nothing else right

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

joiedevivre18

New

Post by joiedevivre18 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:28 pm

Are both FAFSA and Need Access necessary?

mcb0902

New

Post by mcb0902 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:39 pm

joiedevivre18 wrote:Are both FAFSA and Need Access necessary?
Yes. By the schools that use Need Access (of which NYU is one), FAFSA is used only for calculating federal loan eligibility, as I understand it. Need Access is exclusively used for determining need/merit based grants. NYU doesn't require any further school-specific forms for non-named grants.

wisteria

Bronze

Post by wisteria » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:43 pm

Ugh.. I've never dealt with things like Need Access before, so I think I may have made a mistake. When I submitted the Need Access application, I submitted it to every school on its list that I've applied to, even though I haven't been accepted by most of them yet. Now I feel stupid. Is this something I should worry about? I honestly have no idea how this system works.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:48 pm

wisteria wrote:Ugh.. I've never dealt with things like Need Access before, so I think I may have made a mistake. When I submitted the Need Access application, I submitted it to every school on its list that I've applied to, even though I haven't been accepted by most of them yet. Now I feel stupid. Is this something I should worry about? I honestly have no idea how this system works.
Don't worry about it, I think I did that too. I believe the way it works is schools request your files when they're deciding on your financial aid package. It's better to send it to schools now then be late or have to worry about it down the road once you do get in.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

wisteria

Bronze

Post by wisteria » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:55 pm

ph5354a wrote:
wisteria wrote:Ugh.. I've never dealt with things like Need Access before, so I think I may have made a mistake. When I submitted the Need Access application, I submitted it to every school on its list that I've applied to, even though I haven't been accepted by most of them yet. Now I feel stupid. Is this something I should worry about? I honestly have no idea how this system works.
Don't worry about it, I think I did that too. I believe the way it works is schools request your files when they're deciding on your financial aid package. It's better to send it to schools now then be late or have to worry about it down the road once you do get in.
That's good to hear!

I actually don't intend to apply for any need-based aid because I do have savings (I'm 30+) so I won't qualify anyway. Now that I've sent my financial info to every school, I'm worried that it will negatively affect the merit-based scholarships I might get. Ah well, there's nothing I can do now.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:59 pm

wisteria wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
That's good to hear!

I actually don't intend to apply for any need-based aid because I do have savings (I'm 30+) so I won't qualify anyway. Now that I've sent my financial info to every school, I'm worried that it will negatively affect the merit-based scholarships I might get. Ah well, there's nothing I can do now.
I know for some schools (NYU included) you aren't eligible for any institutional aid until you give them the right forms, whether its Need Access or their own school-specific form, so I think you would've had to submit it either way. Congrats on getting Need Access out of the way. That bitch was a pain in the ass.

wisteria

Bronze

Post by wisteria » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:04 pm

ph5354a wrote: I know for some schools (NYU included) you aren't eligible for any institutional aid until you give them the right forms, whether its Need Access or their own school-specific form, so I think you would've had to submit it either way. Congrats on getting Need Access out of the way. That bitch was a pain in the ass.
Ha, thanks!

I didn't think it was that much of a pain, though. Maybe I did it the wrong way? It's pretty much just a simplified 1040 + your bank account info + some guesstimates of your future expenses/earnings, no? I guess my finances was rather straightforward. People with other assets like houses might have a lot more trouble.

ksd2138

New

Post by ksd2138 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:27 am

Congrats to everyone who's gotten the call!

I'm 175/3.56 and UR since 11/12.

I've got some good material for a LOCI, but not sure whether to send now, or just wait 'til the inevitable waitlist notification.

Thoughts?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:41 am

ksd2138 wrote:Congrats to everyone who's gotten the call!

I'm 175/3.56 and UR since 11/12.

I've got some good material for a LOCI, but not sure whether to send now, or just wait 'til the inevitable waitlist notification.

Thoughts?
I don't think it could hurt to send something small now. Just a quick "hey, I still love you (here's why), do you love me?" kind of letter. But I would hold off on the big guns if/when you are waitlisted. You can take some solace in the fact that on LSN, NYU has a lot of waitlist action for your kind of stats (high LSAT, below median GPA). Good luck!!

Jacq2212

Bronze

Post by Jacq2212 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:48 pm

It's been a month since my app went under review, I'm guessing its normal to have such a long time where they aren't reviewing your file? Should I consider sending in an LOCI? I've been accepted at Northwestern but haven't heard back from any of the top ten yet...I <3 New York!

hhockberger

Bronze

Post by hhockberger » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:51 pm

Jacq2212 wrote:It's been a month since my app went under review, I'm guessing its normal to have such a long time where they aren't reviewing your file? Should I consider sending in an LOCI? I've been accepted at Northwestern but haven't heard back from any of the top ten yet...I <3 New York!
Read the post directly above yours

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:53 pm

Jacq2212 wrote:It's been a month since my app went under review, I'm guessing its normal to have such a long time where they aren't reviewing your file? Should I consider sending in an LOCI? I've been accepted at Northwestern but haven't heard back from any of the top ten yet...I <3 New York!
Based on last year, we probably shouldn't except too many more outright acceptances since they seem to start waitlisting people soon. I would save your LOCI for that.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”