NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
francesfarmer

Silver

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Post by francesfarmer » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:13 pm

alex.feuerman wrote:DAMN IT I was sending an email because I needed to give them my permanent resident number and the ONE TIME it's actually something important the email somehow sent itself before 1. I could actually write the number and 2. I spellchecked.

I HATE MY COMPUTER.
WHY.
The person receiving your email is probably a temp who will input your information on a spreadsheet and never think about you again. Don't worry.

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:13 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
moonman157 wrote: Aside from not smoking or shopping, any other bits of advice for keeping COL down as much as possible in NYC?
My biggest piece of advice is this: SUBLET. Sublets are so much cheaper than signing a lease because real estate developers in the city are fucking assholes and they jack the prices up in any building they can get their hands on and renovate. For example: a friend of mine signed a lease for a two bedroom apartment three blocks from my apartment in an up-and-coming neighborhood in Brooklyn and he and his roommate each pay $1200 a piece. I live in a cockroach-free, large 3-bedroom and I pay $700. We are equidistant from the subway.

Other than that, sneak bottles of booze into bars and then top-off your free soda with cheap whiskey? I don't know. Don't take cabs.
Well this won't be a big adjustment for me, so thanks! :lol:

comeonletsgo

Bronze

Post by comeonletsgo » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:14 pm

alex.feuerman wrote:DAMN IT I was sending an email because I needed to give them my permanent resident number and the ONE TIME it's actually something important the email somehow sent itself before 1. I could actually write the number and 2. I spellchecked.

I HATE MY COMPUTER.
WHY.
it'll be okay!!

teiswei

Silver

Post by teiswei » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:15 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
teiswei wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:
helix23 wrote:Aren't cigarettes in NY like 15 bucks a pack?
$12. I don't smoke that much and I get cartons from friends who travel out of the state/country pretty regularly so its not that bad for me...
This will, perhaps, be the most difficult part of law school for me. I have worked full time since high school and I have made really good money. I purchased two $40k sports cars before my nineteenth birthday and could always buy pretty much anything I wanted. Unfortunately, I did spend most of what I earned and although I have a pretty solid savings, it's nowhere near enough to cover tuition and COL. Transitioning from a fairly lucrative lifestyle to being a poor college student for the first time ain't going to be easy.
Lol. Humblebrag?
Haha, not my intention. I just was trying to relate to francesfarmer giving up cigs. It's going to be a major lifestyle change for myself and I am sure several of you. Just wanted to let everyone know we are in this together even coming from various backgrounds.

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:17 pm

Its going to be an adjustment for me too going back to living cheaply...I still refuse to pay more than $700 for rent but now I take cabs a bunch and buy myself whatever the hell I want all the time. I pretend like I'm trying to get it out of my system but that's not how luxuries work...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:19 pm

NYU site is back up and nothing has moved for me.

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:20 pm

teiswei wrote:
Haha, not my intention. I just was trying to relate to francesfarmer giving up cigs. It's going to be a major lifestyle change for myself and I am sure several of you. Just wanted to let everyone know we are in this together even coming from various backgrounds.
Fair enough. I'm probably going to end up in the dorms (hopefully the cheapest one I can find) if I go here. I am from CA and I will get eaten alive by the NY real estate market if I try to find a place without actually living there first.

alex.feuerman

Bronze

Post by alex.feuerman » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:20 pm

moonman157 wrote:Aside from not smoking or shopping, any other bits of advice for keeping COL down as much as possible in NYC?
Food is so expensive here and after a few weeks you will realize people eat out ALL THE TIME. (it's kind of what people do here...eat....because there's so many restaurants.) So learn to cook and get a COSTCO membership (apparently there is one somewhere in Harlem) is the best advice I can give you. Even grocery stores are INSANE, think soap.com and amazon.com for other toiletry needs.

WhiteyCakes

Silver

Post by WhiteyCakes » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:21 pm

francesfarmer wrote:NYU site is back up and nothing has moved for me.
Status checker site still down for me

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

alex.feuerman

Bronze

Post by alex.feuerman » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:22 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
moonman157 wrote: Aside from not smoking or shopping, any other bits of advice for keeping COL down as much as possible in NYC?
Other than that, sneak bottles of booze into bars and then top-off your free soda with cheap whiskey? I don't know. Don't take cabs.
Def. NEVER NEVER take cabs

Swimp

Bronze

Post by Swimp » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:22 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:
Me too.

teiswei

Silver

Post by teiswei » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:23 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
teiswei wrote:
Fair enough. I'm probably going to end up in the dorms (hopefully the cheapest one I can find) if I go here. I am from CA and I will get eaten alive by the NY real estate market if I try to find a place without actually living there first.
I live in downtown Chicago so I have an idea of what it will be like but still wary (My 1br apartment would likely be twice as much in the NYU area). I have a few friends that are from NYC so I will likely leverage those relationships if it's where I end up.
Last edited by teiswei on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:25 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
teiswei wrote:
:( Champagne Papi, I will be your friend and help you find a sublet, because those dorms are HELLA expensive and no one in their right mind should live in them. Not even if your grandparents have bequethed you a bank account called "Waste this money on living in Greenwich Village."

I'm from California too, get ready to have everybody think you are the most laid-back person in the world.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:30 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:
teiswei wrote:
:( Champagne Papi, I will be your friend and help you find a sublet, because those dorms are HELLA expensive and no one in their right mind should live in them. Not even if your grandparents have bequethed you a bank account called "Waste this money on living in Greenwich Village."

I'm from California too, get ready to have everybody think you are the most laid-back person in the world.
:D Yes I heard those dorms are ridiculously priced. Only thing is I have my own 1BD here and I really am not looking forward to having roommates again. Gotta make sacrifices though...

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:32 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:
teiswei wrote:

:D Yes I heard those dorms are ridiculously priced. Only thing is I have my own 1BD here and I really am not looking forward to having roommates again. Gotta make sacrifices though...
Drop the 1 bedroom dream... its a hard pill to swallow, but I don't anticipate being able to live by myself until I'm well into my 30s.

Swimp

Bronze

Post by Swimp » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:33 pm

Swimp wrote:
WhiteyCakes wrote:
Me too.
Okay, it's back now. No change. Argh.

WhiteyCakes

Silver

Post by WhiteyCakes » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:38 pm

Big fat "Service Unavailable" when I look at it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chickpea

Bronze

Post by chickpea » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:39 pm

still can't access the nyu status check site. looks like it's going down, back up, down again... i think this means some kind of news is on the way (though probably not for me since I'm RD). crossing my fingers for all you EDers!

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:40 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:Big fat "Service Unavailable" when I look at it.
+1

Maybe the law school saw the LSAT administration stats for October and decided to go out of business

Swimp

Bronze

Post by Swimp » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:43 pm

chickpea wrote:still can't access the nyu status check site. looks like it's going down, back up, down again... i think this means some kind of news is on the way (though probably not for me since I'm RD). crossing my fingers for all you EDers!
I currently have all of my fingers and toes crossed and it's making it really hard to type. I'm getting some looks from people in my office.

alex.feuerman

Bronze

Post by alex.feuerman » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:46 pm

francesfarmer wrote:

I HATE MY COMPUTER.
WHY.
The person receiving your email is probably a temp who will input your information on a spreadsheet and never think about you again. Don't worry.
You're most likely right. Thank you, it's a long shot anyway lol

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chickpea

Bronze

Post by chickpea » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:12 pm

status checker back up now with no change.

part of me wishes law schools didn't even have status checkers - way too much time wasted checking statuses that i know full well will not be updated for weeks to come. *sigh*

WhiteyCakes

Silver

Post by WhiteyCakes » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:16 pm

chickpea wrote:status checker back up now with no change.

part of me wishes law schools didn't even have status checkers - way too much time wasted checking statuses that i know full well will not be updated for weeks to come. *sigh*
Blasphemy. I can only spend so much time on reddit everyday...I have to take status-check breaks

chickpea

Bronze

Post by chickpea » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:17 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:
chickpea wrote:status checker back up now with no change.

Blasphemy. I can only spend so much time on reddit everyday...I have to take status-check breaks
haha you're probably right. i will inevitably waste a certain number of hours each day accumulating highly unnecessary information/pointlessly refreshing pages no matter what :)

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:06 pm

We're gonna create a taking questions thread after finals, but for now I'll say DO NOT LIVE IN THE VILLAGE. I have a 25 min commute and have a 1br for under 1800. I know that's not a great price, but I'm married so it's really a pretty good scenario. Only a couple hundred more than I would have paid if I'd ended up in Chicago (albeit for a bit larger of a place).

Also, smokers/drinkers - this is why we have New Hampshire.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”