NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
alex.feuerman

Bronze

Re: NYU C/O 2016 Applicants Thread!!! (Woooooo!!!!!)

Post by alex.feuerman » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:58 am

alex.feuerman wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:Alex, enjoy NYU. Your stats aren't low for a URM!

Also don't panic if you can't get into ASW yet. Most people weren't able to log in right away last year - it usually happened later in the day.
I am not taking anything for granted...but I'll post when I get/read the letter. I'm going for a run now.
Guys got a voicemail saying I'm in, also can access ASW. This is insane. I'm in shock. Thank you all so much! You were an indiscribable source of comfort during the past few months. And I hope to give some hope to fellow URM's. You can do it too!

WhiteyCakes

Silver

Post by WhiteyCakes » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:00 pm

Congrats to the ED admits!

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:03 pm

alex.feuerman wrote:
alex.feuerman wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:Alex, enjoy NYU. Your stats aren't low for a URM!

Also don't panic if you can't get into ASW yet. Most people weren't able to log in right away last year - it usually happened later in the day.
I am not taking anything for granted...but I'll post when I get/read the letter. I'm going for a run now.
Guys got a voicemail saying I'm in, also can access ASW. This is insane. I'm in shock. Thank you all so much! You were an indiscribable source of comfort during the past few months. And I hope to give some hope to fellow URM's. You can do it too!
Congratulations!!!

maggielizer

New

Post by maggielizer » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:09 pm

No call or email yet, but I can access ASW!!! :D :D :D

You guys are the best. Without TLS it would so not have occurred to me to attempt to access the admitted students section before being officially admitted...

maggielizer

New

Post by maggielizer » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:12 pm

02889 wrote:
Since I have nothing else to do but wait and hope, I looked at the tiny sample for ED apps last year on LSN. Here's my simplified takeaway, if anyone is interested in the results breakdown:

172+ LSAT: any GPA will do, so long as it isn't too low (so above 3.3, perhaps).
171: a GPA above 25th percentile will do the trick.
169-70: a GPA above the 75th is seemingly needed.

People with those LSATs who didn't meet the GPA conditions were waitlisted, and people with LSATs below 169 were either outright denied or waitlisted with a high enough GPA.

This doesn't bode well for me if the standards haven't changed, but I'm still trying to be optimistic that NYU will be crushed by a down cycle and forced to accept me.
Anecdotally, I can confirm the last bit: 169, GPA above the 75th, and admitted ED.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:20 pm

Congrats to all the ED accepted candidates! Fingers crossed that I'll be seeing you next year :)

Since ED acceptances seemed to be on times in terms of previous cycles, is it safe to assume that the first batch of RD acceptances will go out sometime in the middle of next week?

yellowbliss

New

Post by yellowbliss » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:37 pm

maggielizer wrote:
02889 wrote:
Since I have nothing else to do but wait and hope, I looked at the tiny sample for ED apps last year on LSN. Here's my simplified takeaway, if anyone is interested in the results breakdown:

172+ LSAT: any GPA will do, so long as it isn't too low (so above 3.3, perhaps).

People with those LSATs who didn't meet the GPA conditions were waitlisted, and people with LSATs below 169 were either outright denied or waitlisted with a high enough GPA.

This doesn't bode well for me if the standards haven't changed, but I'm still trying to be optimistic that NYU will be crushed by a down cycle and forced to accept me.
Anecdotally, I can confirm the last bit: 169, GPA above the 75th, and admitted ED.

this is, like, my fourth post but i really wanted to chime in here. I have sub-169 and above 75th GPA (non-URM) and I got in ED. Nobody should lose hope yet - LSN is really way too small of a sample size to rely on for ED predictions/calculations. If you have not heard yet, don't start worrying. and also, congrats to all! see you next year!

jns66

New

Post by jns66 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:40 pm

Thanks for the encouragement. Pretty sure my hands are cramping from the excessive refreshing that I'm doing over here... :/

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:43 pm

yellowbliss wrote:
maggielizer wrote:
02889 wrote:

this is, like, my fourth post but i really wanted to chime in here. I have sub-169 and above 75th GPA (non-URM) and I got in ED. Nobody should lose hope yet - LSN is really way too small of a sample size to rely on for ED predictions/calculations. If you have not heard yet, don't start worrying. and also, congrats to all! see you next year!

Huh? LSN predicts that anyone with those numbers will get in with ED, and about a 50% chance for RD (if you count WL as denials, which is dubious).

Anyways, congrats admits!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

yellowbliss

New

Post by yellowbliss » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:48 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
yellowbliss wrote:
maggielizer wrote:
02889 wrote:

Huh? LSN predicts that anyone with those numbers will get in with ED, and about a 50% chance for RD (if you count WL as denials, which is dubious).

Anyways, congrats admits!

I was specifically replying to this - "People with those LSATs who didn't meet the GPA conditions were waitlisted, and people with LSATs below 169 were either outright denied or waitlisted with a high enough GPA."
and thanks!

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:53 pm

yellowbliss wrote: If you have not heard yet, don't start worrying.
LOLOLOL you're right though.

alldabest13

New

Post by alldabest13 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:52 pm

Can access ASW!!! Im in right? still no call though-- shaking still in shock

Goodluck to everyone

lawschoolboundfuture

Bronze

Post by lawschoolboundfuture » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:59 pm

When are we thinking people will hear that applied RD?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Swimp

Bronze

Post by Swimp » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:03 pm

alldabest13 wrote:Can access ASW!!! Im in right? still no call though-- shaking still in shock

Goodluck to everyone
Yeah, you're in. I got into the ASW this morning and just got the call a couple minutes ago.

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:05 pm

lawschoolboundfuture wrote:When are we thinking people will hear that applied RD?
I read next week.

nashlakers

New

Post by nashlakers » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:06 pm

alldabest13 wrote:Can access ASW!!! Im in right? still no call though-- shaking still in shock

Goodluck to everyone

same here!!

bsf2344

New

Post by bsf2344 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:28 pm

Wow congrats to all the admits so far!

So what's the read on those of us ed'rs who haven't heard yet? Waiting for a ding? Since all of the Ed apps are in and they've presumably reviewed them all( since they've admitted a few that went complete after 11/15), what's are they waiting for? I guess i just don't get the releasing the decisions in waves idea... What's the differences between the Ed candidate admitted on 12/5 and the one on 12/15? And 12/30?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:35 pm

bsf2344 wrote:Wow congrats to all the admits so far!

So what's the read on those of us ed'rs who haven't heard yet? Waiting for a ding? Since all of the Ed apps are in and they've presumably reviewed them all( since they've admitted a few that went complete after 11/15), what's are they waiting for? I guess i just don't get the releasing the decisions in waves idea... What's the differences between the Ed candidate admitted on 12/5 and the one on 12/15? And 12/30?
I don't think it means anything as of yet. They definitely release decisions in waves. I've been trying to find a pattern and unfortunately nobody with stats lower than mine has gotten in ED yet...

Swimp

Bronze

Post by Swimp » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:37 pm

bsf2344 wrote:Wow congrats to all the admits so far!

The order in which applications get reviewed isn't primarily based on the order of submission. Apparently applications with higher admissions indexes (some calculation involving GPA and LSAT) get read first. Remember, they don't have to respond to ED applicants until the end of the month, so there's still plenty of time for them to weigh their options.

hopingforgold

New

Post by hopingforgold » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:54 pm

So, what if you applied ed, your lsat is below 169, but your GPA is at the norm, and you still haven't heard yet...and your status says UR 11/21...if I was going to be flat out rejected, wouldn't that have happened already?

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:57 pm

hopingforgold wrote:So, what if you applied ed, your lsat is below 169, but your GPA is at the norm, and you still haven't heard yet...and your status says UR 11/21...if I was going to be flat out rejected, wouldn't that have happened already?
No. The first wave is acceptances - nobody has been rejected by NYU yet.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:58 pm

hopingforgold wrote:So, what if you applied ed, your lsat is below 169, but your GPA is at the norm, and you still haven't heard yet...and your status says UR 11/21...if I was going to be flat out rejected, wouldn't that have happened already?
ED rejections go out after ED acceptances start. So if you're going to be rejected it will happen next week or later, I think.

Bronze

Post by 02889 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:58 pm

No. Some people who apply ED are outright rejected in December, but many more get a deferral to the regular decision pool, followed by a lot of waiting, a spot on the waitlist, a lot more waiting, and hopefully, finally, an acceptance.

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:01 pm

02889 wrote:
No. Some people who apply ED are outright rejected in December, but many more get a deferral to the regular decision pool, followed by a lot of waiting, a spot on the waitlist, a lot more waiting, and hopefully, finally, an acceptance.
But with a sub-169 LSAT?

T14urm

New

Post by T14urm » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:03 pm

Congrats Admitted EDers!!! ....But enough about ya'll. Does anyone know when decisions for RDers are expected to go out? Next week maybe? lol

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”