Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby 02889 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:49 pm

one_by_one wrote:Also, I was looking through last year's thread and some RD applicants heard back without getting a 2nd UCR date..

Definitely hoping this happens again! It seems like there was a big batch of people who first went UCR on 11/20 (when I did) and then had their date updated to 12/1 (which did not happen to me). I felt like I got left behind, and I seriously hope that it wasn't because the admissions people lost interest. I can be cool! I can be fun! WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT FROM ME?*

*Yes, I know, a higher GPA and/or higher LSAT is the obvious answer.

dsn32

Postby dsn32 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:12 pm

02889 wrote:
one_by_one wrote:Also, I was looking through last year's thread and some RD applicants heard back without getting a 2nd UCR date..

Definitely hoping this happens again! It seems like there was a big batch of people who first went UCR on 11/20 (when I did) and then had their date updated to 12/1 (which did not happen to me). I felt like I got left behind, and I seriously hope that it wasn't because the admissions people lost interest. I can be cool! I can be fun! WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT FROM ME?*

This. I agree completely with this.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:16 pm

cusenation wrote:I went UCR 2 on 11/20, no call. Penn traditionally only takes like 15-30 kids from an ED pool. And it's probably gonna be on the lower end for this ED cycle because they have, for the first time, another ED cycle next month. And I'm doubtful that Penn will double the number of spots they give out to ED candidates.

Personally I think it's likely that all of the ED acceptances were distributed on Friday..I think I counted 5-8 ED admits in this thread? (could be wrong, don't remember, too lazy to count). That's a significant number when you consider that not every Penn ED applicant uses or posts on TLS. But hopefully I'm wrong =(

Your post pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter as well. Also, while historically most who don't get in ED get dinged, some do get held. But I'm not feeling too confident about that happening this year either because of the 2nd ED round.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:34 pm

Crowing wrote:
cusenation wrote:I went UCR 2 on 11/20, no call. Penn traditionally only takes like 15-30 kids from an ED pool. And it's probably gonna be on the lower end for this ED cycle because they have, for the first time, another ED cycle next month. And I'm doubtful that Penn will double the number of spots they give out to ED candidates.

Personally I think it's likely that all of the ED acceptances were distributed on Friday..I think I counted 5-8 ED admits in this thread? (could be wrong, don't remember, too lazy to count). That's a significant number when you consider that not every Penn ED applicant uses or posts on TLS. But hopefully I'm wrong =(

Your post pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter as well. Also, while historically most who don't get in ED get dinged, some do get held. But I'm not feeling too confident about that happening this year either because of the 2nd ED round.

That's certainly a possibility. But we need to remember that Penn needed to make a decision about the ED1 apps BEFORE they saw the ED2 apps. Because the ED2 deadline isn't until later this month (if i remember correctly).

So it could certainly go the way you're predicting, that Penn reduces its waitlists/holds for the ED1 crop because they have the ED2 card up their sleeve. But it's also very possible that they were more generous with the ED1 Waitlists/holds because they want to protect themselves from a mediocre ED2 crop.

Do they discard ED1 applicants who've demonstrated a willingness to commit because they're confident that the ED2 pool will be of a similar quality? Or will they be cautious and keep the ED1 applicants on the table in case they get screwed by the ED2 pool? Personally, considering the declining quality/number of applications, I think they'll opt for the latter option. It makes more sense to me...they lose nothing by waitlisting/holding more ED1 applicants. But they stand to lose a lot if they ding a bunch of us only to discover that the ED2 pool isn't as great as they needed it to be. Just my two cents =)

moneyball026

Postby moneyball026 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:37 pm

dsn32 wrote:
02889 wrote:

Yep, I'm also in the exact same boat and feeling the same way. I am RD, UCR 11/20 and was conspicuously left out of the UCR2 party in early december. If I do not get a status change tomorrow or Tuesday, I am not going to hold out hope on a Friday call. My stats are decent (at/above 50th % overall), but my fear is they are just going to hold off on that 2nd review until they get a clearer sense of the applicant pool (aka Hold/Waitlist). I want Penn to want me like I want them....

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:45 pm

moneyball026 wrote:
dsn32 wrote:
02889 wrote:

Yep, I'm also in the exact same boat and feeling the same way. I am RD, UCR 11/20 and was conspicuously left out of the UCR2 party in early december. If I do not get a status change tomorrow or Tuesday, I am not going to hold out hope on a Friday call. My stats are decent (at/above 50th % overall), but my fear is they are just going to hold off on that 2nd review until they get a clearer sense of the applicant pool (aka Hold/Waitlist). I want Penn to want me like I want them....

Just a guess here. But the ED2 pool might be part of the reason why certain RD candidates aren't going into UCR2. The committee is obligated to release ED2 decisions by a certain date, so they might be prioritizing those applications. I'm almost positive that ED2 apps are starting to trickle in as kids get rejected from other ED programs like UVA.

I would be surprised if the ED2 pool didn't have ANY impact on the release of RD decisions. I feel like it would be in the adcomm's best interest to make the ED2 decisions before making any major RD decisions. It would let them lock-in as much of their class as possible, and provide time for RD candidates who are admitted into other schools via ED to withdraw. It would definitely help their yield rate.

Postby 02889 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:56 pm

cusenation wrote:Just a guess here. But the ED2 pool might be part of the reason why certain RD candidates aren't going into UCR2. The committee is obligated to release ED2 decisions by a certain date, so they might be prioritizing those applications. I'm almost positive that ED2 apps are starting to trickle in as kids get rejected from other ED programs like UVA.

I would be surprised if the ED2 pool didn't have ANY impact on the release of RD decisions. I feel like it would be in the adcomm's best interest to make the ED2 decisions before making any major RD decisions. It would let them lock-in as much of their class as possible, and provide time for RD candidates who are admitted into other schools via ED to withdraw. It would definitely help their yield rate.

I hope this isn't totally correct. Given that they don't even know if anyone will apply for the new ED2 (considering it's brand new and nobody knows if there's a benefit to doing it), I would hope they'd play it a little more conservatively and accept people they would normally otherwise accept. Though it does seem like Penn will WL just about anybody, so maybe they'll just continue that trend.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:57 pm

02889 wrote:
cusenation wrote:Just a guess here. But the ED2 pool might be part of the reason why certain RD candidates aren't going into UCR2. The committee is obligated to release ED2 decisions by a certain date, so they might be prioritizing those applications. I'm almost positive that ED2 apps are starting to trickle in as kids get rejected from other ED programs like UVA.

I hope this isn't totally correct. Given that they don't even know if anyone will apply for the new ED2 (considering it's brand new and nobody knows if there's a benefit to doing it), I would hope they'd play it a little more conservatively and accept people they would normally otherwise accept. Though it does seem like Penn will WL just about anybody, so maybe they'll just continue that trend.

Yeah hahaha i'm with you...I could be completely wrong =), just trying to guess on what's going on lol

oneshot_90

Postby oneshot_90 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:53 am

mine changed date as of Current Status Date: 12/7/2012 (Friday).... does that mean anything?

bobr

Postby bobr » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:09 am

moneyball026 wrote:
dsn32 wrote:
02889 wrote:

Exact words out of my mouth. I'm at - or near - medians and would love Penn after visiting the school. Excited for some news this week.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:49 am

cusenation wrote:
Crowing wrote:

That's certainly a possibility. But we need to remember that Penn needed to make a decision about the ED1 apps BEFORE they saw the ED2 apps. Because the ED2 deadline isn't until later this month (if i remember correctly).

So it could certainly go the way you're predicting, that Penn reduces its waitlists/holds for the ED1 crop because they have the ED2 card up their sleeve. But it's also very possible that they were more generous with the ED1 Waitlists/holds because they want to protect themselves from a mediocre ED2 crop.

Do they discard ED1 applicants who've demonstrated a willingness to commit because they're confident that the ED2 pool will be of a similar quality? Or will they be cautious and keep the ED1 applicants on the table in case they get screwed by the ED2 pool? Personally, considering the declining quality/number of applications, I think they'll opt for the latter option. It makes more sense to me...they lose nothing by waitlisting/holding more ED1 applicants. But they stand to lose a lot if they ding a bunch of us only to discover that the ED2 pool isn't as great as they needed it to be. Just my two cents =)

Logically that's a good point, but for whatever reason Penn has historically been much more liberal with the ding button than peers like NYU which will do no worse than a WL for people above certain numbers.

Michigan has a reputation for being holistic, but iirc statistically Penn places just as little emphasis on numbers. I went for ED because it seems like at least for ED Penn is more willing to play the numbers game which lends a little more certainty, but neither of us got in so clearly something else is still at play here.

I hope you're right though; perhaps the uncertainty of this cycle will influence Penn to be more conservative and hold EDers instead of rejecting as many as in the past. I imagine having applied ED must be of at least some consideration in the RD process provided we can make it that far.

Mdenis1

Postby Mdenis1 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:02 am

My status changed on Dec 6th to UCR :) (RD). Am I too hopeful for hoping for a decision before Christmas?

Congrats to all ED admits!

whuntington3

Postby whuntington3 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:14 am

senorhosh wrote:
bobr wrote:Did everyone who is ED with a ucr 1 or 2 date of 11/20 get accepted? Maybe I'm looking too deep into all of this..

It seems like most people accepted were UCR 11/20 (or 21). This is from the small sample in this thread so it's not very reliable.

I have yet to seen a UCR 11/15 get accepted. Maybe I'm wrong? Anybody out there?
I'm UCR 11/15 and I'm terrified of tomorrow.

I was UCR 11/15 and accepted.

VasaVasori

Post removed...

Postby VasaVasori » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:17 am

Post removed...
Last edited by VasaVasori on Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:23 pm, edited 15 times in total.

Postby 02889 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:57 am

Has anyone noticed trends in what time of day Penn updates its status checker? Michigan is always first thing in the morning, and NYU seems to be mid/late afternoon. Does Penn just do it whenever they get to it?

senorhosh

Postby senorhosh » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:24 pm

Any ED movement? Dings or calls? Slow day at work just got slower...

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:43 pm

senorhosh wrote:Any ED movement? Dings or calls? Slow day at work just got slower...

+1

If there is movement today..I'm guessing it won't start until 3ish. Unless they're delaying sending out dings/waitlists until later in the week for some unknown/cruel reason.

Ph297

Postby Ph297 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:45 pm

Have RD decisions been made yet? File just went complete. Above lsat median. When should I hear?

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:00 pm

Ph297 wrote:Have RD decisions been made yet? File just went complete. Above lsat median. When should I hear?

Let me look into my crystal ball!

Seriously though it will be a little while if you just went complete. ED people haven't heard yet I don't think.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:38 pm

Ph297 wrote:Have RD decisions been made yet? File just went complete. Above lsat median. When should I hear?

No one knows...but if you just went complete then maybe around mid-to-late January? Maybe even early February depending on how many apps are ahead of you =/

Postby 02889 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:22 pm

The NYU thread is too full of good news, so I'm going to slink over to the Penn thread for a while.

How are we all doing?!

Oh, and in case anyone was even remotely thinking of watching Revenge to kill time while they wait for decisions -- please, please, please do not watch it. Don't. Just don't do it.

comeonletsgo

Postby comeonletsgo » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:26 pm

02889 wrote:The NYU thread is too full of good news, so I'm going to slink over to the Penn thread for a while.

How are we all doing?!

Oh, and in case anyone was even remotely thinking of watching Revenge to kill time while they wait for decisions -- please, please, please do not watch it. Don't. Just don't do it.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

spyke123

Postby spyke123 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:26 pm

Maybe we should've all Ed to nyu instead? Sigh...

comeonletsgo

Postby comeonletsgo » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:30 pm

spyke123 wrote:Maybe we should've all Ed to nyu instead? Sigh...

Probs.

WHY, PENN, WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS?

hume85

Postby hume85 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:31 pm

spyke123 wrote:Maybe we should've all Ed to nyu instead? Sigh...

But then you would have had to attend NYU.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”