Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Jaqen
Posts: 949
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:23 am

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby Jaqen » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:53 pm

lsacqueen wrote:Oooh man, I can't take these trickling emails... Can people who got merit offers please post the date you went complete?


I'm not entirely sure when I went complete, but I submitted the first week of November and was accepted in mid-January.

User avatar
JamesDean1955
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby JamesDean1955 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:07 pm

$60k in need based aid!!!!

OMG YES I LOVE YOU PENN :D

It doesn't specifically say anything about not getting any merit aid, so maybe that's still a possibility, but frankly I am more than content with this offer!

Very, very strong possibility of heading to Penn in the Fall now 8)

:mrgreen:

User avatar
helix23
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby helix23 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:10 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:$60k in need based aid!!!!

OMG YES I LOVE YOU PENN :D

It doesn't specifically say anything about not getting any merit aid, so maybe that's still a possibility, but frankly I am more than content with this offer!

Very, very strong possibility of heading to Penn in the Fall now 8)

:mrgreen:


BULLSHIT!

Congrats!

User avatar
JamesDean1955
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby JamesDean1955 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:11 pm

helix23 wrote:
JamesDean1955 wrote:$60k in need based aid!!!!

OMG YES I LOVE YOU PENN :D

It doesn't specifically say anything about not getting any merit aid, so maybe that's still a possibility, but frankly I am more than content with this offer!

Very, very strong possibility of heading to Penn in the Fall now 8)

:mrgreen:


BULLSHIT!

Congrats!


Lol..Thanks!

User avatar
RSterling
Posts: 358
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby RSterling » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:27 pm

Wait, so are people getting a seperate e-mail with merit info or is everyone showing merit info just now checking their original finaid email for the first time?

User avatar
JamesDean1955
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby JamesDean1955 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:31 pm

RSterling wrote:Wait, so are people getting a seperate e-mail with merit info or is everyone showing merit info just now checking their original finaid email for the first time?


I believe it is the same for people who are getting merit or need, it is a separate email sent this afternoon:

Subject: Penn Law: Financial Aid Decision

Monday, February 25, 2013 ____ PM

Dear _________,

The University of Pennsylvania Law School has received and reviewed your application for financial aid assistance. Please go to Penn Law's Financial Aid Counselor On-Line to access your financial aid award decision.

LINK TO WEBPORTAL GOES HERE

Your login and password is as follows:

Login: something
Password: something

If you encounter any problems with this website, please notify us at 215-898-7743. We welcome any feedback you might have about this product.

User avatar
Jaqen
Posts: 949
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:23 am

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby Jaqen » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:38 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:I believe it is the same for people who are getting merit or need, it is a separate email sent this afternoon:

Subject: Penn Law: Financial Aid Decision

Monday, February 25, 2013 ____ PM

Dear _________,

The University of Pennsylvania Law School has received and reviewed your application for financial aid assistance. Please go to Penn Law's Financial Aid Counselor On-Line to access your financial aid award decision.

LINK TO WEBPORTAL GOES HERE

Your login and password is as follows:

Login: something
Password: something

If you encounter any problems with this website, please notify us at 215-898-7743. We welcome any feedback you might have about this product.


+1

User avatar
lsacqueen
Posts: 255
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:03 am

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby lsacqueen » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:48 pm

Congrats, JD! Unfortunately I have a feeling that those of us who got the "your financial aid info has been processed" email won't be getting any merit aid, since both need and merit aid should be there.

az21833
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby az21833 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:53 pm

did any of you submit essays for named scholarships?

CMC88
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:38 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby CMC88 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:21 pm

az21833 wrote:did any of you submit essays for named scholarships?


Yes, I did for the Toll Public Interest Scholarship.

User avatar
JamesDean1955
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby JamesDean1955 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:29 pm

lsacqueen wrote:Congrats, JD! Unfortunately I have a feeling that those of us who got the "your financial aid info has been processed" email won't be getting any merit aid, since both need and merit aid should be there.


You received need based aid today as well? I wasn't sure by your post, if so congrats to you as well!

User avatar
Lighthouseman
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:20 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby Lighthouseman » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:35 pm

Complete 1/18, still not UR. Bad sign?

User avatar
JamesDean1955
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby JamesDean1955 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:58 pm

az21833 wrote:did any of you submit essays for named scholarships?


Nope.

User avatar
Jaqen
Posts: 949
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:23 am

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby Jaqen » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:03 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:
az21833 wrote:did any of you submit essays for named scholarships?


Nope.


+1

User avatar
risa
Posts: 466
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:03 am

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby risa » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:11 pm

Ok... so did anyone who submitted an essay for a named scholarship/Toll get merit aid decisions today? (fingers crossed the answer is no)

cgw
Posts: 134
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:06 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby cgw » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:11 pm

Congrats on the awards today! When did everyone who heard back submit their FASA/NeedAccess stuff? I only just did mine today.

User avatar
02889
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:21 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby 02889 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:28 pm

risa wrote:Ok... so did anyone who submitted an essay for a named scholarship/Toll get merit aid decisions today? (fingers crossed the answer is no)

I got need, no merit. I'm positive it's meaningless in relation to our chances at getting an interview in a couple weeks.

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby Nelson » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:35 pm

shntn wrote:
Jaqen wrote:I'm the only person reporting merit aid? If so, I wouldn't be worried.

1239152 wrote:Offered $60k merit also!

-_-

But congrats to you all. I think $60k is the max Penn offers for merit aside from named schollies, so well done indeed!

Just FYI to prospective students, Penn says this, but I have pretty decent confirmation (multiple people I trust) that it's either not true at all or only true of initial offers. I know people who negotiated more than this without getting named scholarships. So make sure to negotiate regardless.

I also know of plenty of people (including myself) who were offered nothing in the initial offers with the "need based" packages but negotiated sizable scholarships later.

User avatar
JamesDean1955
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby JamesDean1955 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:45 pm

^ Nelson, do you know of people who received initial need based awards and then subsequently received a merit award?

I don't want to come across as ungrateful at all here (thank you Penn :D ), just curious because I thought my numbers would be competitive for some merit aid.

User avatar
dsn32
Posts: 435
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby dsn32 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:29 pm

Received 56k need today (no indication of merit aid). Pumped about the lending program at Penn too, which cuts down on interest a decent amount. This all makes Penn look really enticing.

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby Nelson » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:35 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:^ Nelson, do you know of people who received initial need based awards and then subsequently received a merit award?

I don't want to come across as ungrateful at all here (thank you Penn :D ), just curious because I thought my numbers would be competitive for some merit aid.

I think they're probably one and the same though I don't really know. I don't know much about how they decide whether to call awards need or merit based since the fin aid people are cagey and I've never really bothered to ask people how their scholarship was categorized. It seems like even the awards they call need based have a numbers component (maybe it's based on what pool of donor money they're pulling your scholarship from?). You could always just call and ask, or add it into a negotiation email.

User avatar
megagnarley
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:58 am

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby megagnarley » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:30 am

bzzingbee wrote:
bob loblaw11 wrote:UR2 2/13 and not a damn word. Penn, I can take it. Lay it on me.


And by I can take it, I know you mean that acceptance. Because I'm hoping all of us 2/13 are destined for admits.


Please. Yes.

User avatar
bluecouch
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:53 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby bluecouch » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:08 am

megagnarley wrote:
bzzingbee wrote:
bob loblaw11 wrote:UR2 2/13 and not a damn word. Penn, I can take it. Lay it on me.


And by I can take it, I know you mean that acceptance. Because I'm hoping all of us 2/13 are destined for admits.


Please. Yes.


+1, although my hopes are dimming...

User avatar
WokeUpInACar
Posts: 5513
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:11 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby WokeUpInACar » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:57 pm

I'm wondering if Penn is ever going to review my app :?

marshal26
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:11 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby marshal26 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:03 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:I'm wondering if Penn is ever going to review my app :?


+1




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: A Lutt, asuddenarborealstop, dannyswo, Google [Bot], liuwenyu, mse2020, potatocowpower, Why???, XUMickeal, zot1 and 21 guests