Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
tyler.durden
Posts: 287
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:12 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby tyler.durden » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:02 pm

RSterling wrote:"Your financial aid application has been received and reviewed by the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid. Unfortunately, you do not qualify for need-based financial assistance (grant) from the Law School. Our review indicates that your financial need can be met through a combination of your personal resources and federal/private student loans."

My review indicates that I will not be attending penn next year, unless merit comes some other way.



+1... Unfortunately

User avatar
lsacqueen
Posts: 255
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:03 am

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby lsacqueen » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:04 pm

tyler.durden wrote:
RSterling wrote:"Your financial aid application has been received and reviewed by the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid. Unfortunately, you do not qualify for need-based financial assistance (grant) from the Law School. Our review indicates that your financial need can be met through a combination of your personal resources and federal/private student loans."

My review indicates that I will not be attending penn next year, unless merit comes some other way.



+1... Unfortunately


:(

I hope Penn sees this and reconsiders their fin aid decisions.

User avatar
RSterling
Posts: 358
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby RSterling » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:05 pm

Your financial aid application has been received and reviewed by the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid. Unfortunately, you do not qualify for need-based financial assistance (grant) from the Law School. Our review indicates that your financial need can be met through a combination of your personal resources and federal/private student loans.

The bolded seems to suggest that this is for need-based only.

curious66
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby curious66 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:06 pm

clasico2012 wrote:Waitlisted today. UR2 2/15. I was slightly surprised as my numbers were within their ranges AND I wrote (what I thought) was a fairly good "Why Penn?"... Well, good luck everyone, I will probably be withdrawing to pursue other offers.


WL here as well. I heard though that most WL never see any $$ from Penn. Is that true? If so, this is depressing.

User avatar
02889
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:21 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby 02889 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:13 pm

Like the email today, it's not explicit that merit aid will come later, but here is the full text of the email I got in response to me sending them scholarship offers from UVA and Michigan a couple of weeks ago:

Thank you for keeping us updated as you go through your decision making process. To complete your need file, we do ask that you forward along your and your parent’s tax returns and W2 forms. You may do so by email to finaid@law.upenn.edu, fax to (215)898-9606, or through the mail. Once we receive all of your materials, we will begin our analysis in early March. You will find out about your need-based package around this time.

The Admissions Office is also in the process of reviewing files for merit scholarships. We do not have a matching policy, but your awards will be placed in your file for consideration by our Merit Scholarship Committee. Merit scholarship decisions are made on a rolling basis, and we will be making selections all the way up to our deposit deadline. We hope to have the bulk of our selections made in March. We are reviewing files as quickly as possible, but feel free to contact us if you require an update before this time.

The two bolded parts made me think that the awards would be decided and sent out separately.

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby shntn » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:25 pm

02889 wrote:Like the email today, it's not explicit that merit aid will come later, but here is the full text of the email I got in response to me sending them scholarship offers from UVA and Michigan a couple of weeks ago:

Thank you for keeping us updated as you go through your decision making process. To complete your need file, we do ask that you forward along your and your parent’s tax returns and W2 forms. You may do so by email to finaid@law.upenn.edu, fax to (215)898-9606, or through the mail. Once we receive all of your materials, we will begin our analysis in early March. You will find out about your need-based package around this time.

The Admissions Office is also in the process of reviewing files for merit scholarships. We do not have a matching policy, but your awards will be placed in your file for consideration by our Merit Scholarship Committee. Merit scholarship decisions are made on a rolling basis, and we will be making selections all the way up to our deposit deadline. We hope to have the bulk of our selections made in March. We are reviewing files as quickly as possible, but feel free to contact us if you require an update before this time.

The two bolded parts made me think that the awards would be decided and sent out separately.

Confirmed.
Last edited by shntn on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

icanbeohyes
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:52 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby icanbeohyes » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:25 pm

In the wait list affirmation email, it says this

"We will begin evaluating the wait list in mid-May. You may send additional materials, such as an updated resume, an additional two page essay on a topic of your choice, and/or one additional letter of recommendation."

Does this mean the LOCI for Penn can be more than one page??

User avatar
Jaqen
Posts: 949
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:23 am

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby Jaqen » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:31 pm

I got a $60k merit scholarship. :D

User avatar
helix23
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby helix23 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:32 pm

Parent endowment: $6 billion

Still needier than me :roll:

curious66
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby curious66 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:33 pm

icanbeohyes wrote:In the wait list affirmation email, it says this

"We will begin evaluating the wait list in mid-May. You may send additional materials, such as an updated resume, an additional two page essay on a topic of your choice, and/or one additional letter of recommendation."

Does this mean the LOCI for Penn can be more than one page??


Probably.. but I already sent one LOCI .. not sure I have enough more to fill 2 pages.

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby shntn » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:34 pm

Jaqen wrote:I got a $60k merit scholarship. :D

Wait, it specifically said merit?

Also, congrats! That's amazing!

User avatar
Jaqen
Posts: 949
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:23 am

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby Jaqen » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:36 pm

shntn wrote:
Jaqen wrote:I got a $60k merit scholarship. :D

Wait, it specifically said merit?

Also, congrats! That's amazing!


Ty!

Here's what it said:

In recognition of your outstanding academic record and personal and professional accomplishments, I am pleased to inform you that you have been selected as a Dean’s Fellow. As a Dean’s Fellow you will receive a merit scholarship in the amount of $60000. Your Dean’s scholarship will be disbursed in three equal installments over your three years of study at Penn Law. The Work Sheet Tab reflects the first year of this award only.


In addition, your financial aid application has been received and reviewed by the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid. Unfortunately, you do not qualify for need based financial assistance (Grant) from the Law School.

User avatar
lsacqueen
Posts: 255
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:03 am

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby lsacqueen » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:39 pm

Jaqen, was your merit offer in the email they sent you? If so, does that mean that if we got an email containing only a link for need-based aid, we didn't get any merit aid?

Hmph...

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby shntn » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:39 pm

Well I'm both glad for the confirmation that the two are considered separately and disappointed that I haven't heard anything on the merit front. Alas.

And congrats again!

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby shntn » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:39 pm

lsacqueen wrote:Jaqen, was your merit offer in the email they sent you? If so, does that mean that if we got an email containing only a link for need-based aid, we didn't get any merit aid?

Hmph...

They're still working on merit, apparently, and will continue to do so until the deposit deadline. It might be a long wait for some of us.

User avatar
02889
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:21 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby 02889 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:41 pm

Jaqen wrote:I got a $60k merit scholarship. :D

Congrats!

Though, if 172/3.9 gets $20k a year, I don't have high hopes for much merit scholarship coming my way.

User avatar
Jaqen
Posts: 949
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:23 am

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby Jaqen » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:43 pm

lsacqueen wrote:Jaqen, was your merit offer in the email they sent you? If so, does that mean that if we got an email containing only a link for need-based aid, we didn't get any merit aid?

Hmph...


I had to log in to the link they sent me, then it showed a letter saying I got $60k merit and $0 need.

I'm the only person reporting merit aid? If so, I wouldn't be worried.

User avatar
Jaqen
Posts: 949
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:23 am

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby Jaqen » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:45 pm

02889 wrote:
Jaqen wrote:I got a $60k merit scholarship. :D

Congrats!

Though, if 172/3.9 gets $20k a year, I don't have high hopes for much merit scholarship coming my way.


http://penn.lawschoolnumbers.com/applic ... cholarship

Seems kind of random.

User avatar
bob loblaw11
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:14 am

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby bob loblaw11 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:45 pm

UR2 2/13 and not a damn word. Penn, I can take it. Lay it on me.

1239152
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:49 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby 1239152 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:46 pm

Offered $60k merit also!

User avatar
lsacqueen
Posts: 255
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:03 am

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby lsacqueen » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:48 pm

Oooh man, I can't take these trickling emails... Can people who got merit offers please post the date you went complete?

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby shntn » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:49 pm

Jaqen wrote:I'm the only person reporting merit aid? If so, I wouldn't be worried.

1239152 wrote:Offered $60k merit also!

-_-

But congrats to you all. I think $60k is the max Penn offers for merit aside from named schollies, so well done indeed!

bzzingbee
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:58 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby bzzingbee » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:51 pm

bob loblaw11 wrote:UR2 2/13 and not a damn word. Penn, I can take it. Lay it on me.


And by I can take it, I know you mean that acceptance. Because I'm hoping all of us 2/13 are destined for admits.

User avatar
lsacqueen
Posts: 255
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:03 am

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby lsacqueen » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:52 pm

Yes, congrats!!! Don't mean to sound bitter. Just anxious.


Also, does anyone know how to search LSN for a specific user?

User avatar
Nickg415
Posts: 290
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby Nickg415 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:52 pm

lsacqueen wrote:Oooh man, I can't take these trickling emails... Can people who got merit offers please post the date you went complete?


I dot think the comp date matters as much as when you submitted the required fin aid apps. I'm guessing that those of us that have heard anything were among the first to submit all of the apps and what not. Either way thu review them on a rolling basis.
Last edited by Nickg415 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], YoungSimba and 9 guests