Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
venus
Posts: 312
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:48 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby venus » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:30 pm

Belly wrote:On status checker:

"Congratulations, and welcome to the Class of 2016! Your Penn Portfolio, containing information about the Law School and Philadelphia, will be sent in mid-January. Please save the date for our Admitted Students Weekend which will be held on Friday, March 22 and Saturday, March 23, 2013. You are also welcome to contact our office to arrange an individual visit to the Law School at any time by emailing admissionsrsvp@law.upenn.edu. As noted below, a deposit of $500 will be due by May 1, 2013 to secure your seat."

O_O

Damn it Penn. Just when I'd given up on you.

No phone call or email?

spyke123
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 2:41 am

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby spyke123 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:39 pm

Does UR2 usually mean youre going to get a decision soon?

User avatar
elterrible78
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:09 am

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby elterrible78 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:50 pm

spyke123 wrote:Does UR2 usually mean youre going to get a decision soon?


It really depends. I have been UR2 since December 1.

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby Nelson » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:59 am

orbotop wrote:anyone have a sense for whether the essay for Wilson or other scholarship is sort of pro forma in sense of ensuring candidate's interest in Penn, or if there's fairly stiff competition for these scholarships based on quality of the essay?

They're seem to be handed out pretty much based on numbers so I would guess mostly the former. It's a way to YP the scholarship money a little. I would do a good job but not stress too much.

az21833
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby az21833 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:03 am

just curious - how long after your admit call did you guys get these wilson invites? and they were email right?

User avatar
LSATSCORES2012
Posts: 770
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:12 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:16 am

az21833 wrote:just curious - how long after your admit call did you guys get these wilson invites? and they were email right?

five days later by email... had 10 days to write the essay

ETA: and they never confirmed that they had received the essay, which still worries me a bit

Belly
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:23 am

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby Belly » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:33 am

Mrrizza,

That's where the whole "given up" thing comes in I guess, haha. I had my heart set on Penn, but I was hoping for a little better on the December LSAT (I applied before receiving the score), so I'd already pretty much let go of the dream.

Venus,

I think I missed the phone call (I'm assuming 215 is their area code), but I haven't gotten an email yet. Also, I noticed after I posted that the note on my status checker said the packet would be sent mid-January. I assume by this they actually meant mid-February, unless they are using the pony express - a slow version of the pony express? Or maybe the status update really was a mistake after all...

All,

Best of luck to those still waiting! My numbers really aren't stellar for Penn (so there is hope!), and I'll probably be freeing up a spot for someone wealthier/less debt-averse on the waitlist once the reality of cost sets in.

Also, FYI, I did not write their version of a "Why Penn?" I guess the whole "dean's core values" or whatever threw me off. However, at the end of my personal statement I included my reasons for applying to Penn, and I had a fair amount of heartfelt stuff to say based on the research I'd done on the school (can't say this for every school I applied to).

User avatar
risa
Posts: 466
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:03 am

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby risa » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:09 am

Nelson wrote:
orbotop wrote:anyone have a sense for whether the essay for Wilson or other scholarship is sort of pro forma in sense of ensuring candidate's interest in Penn, or if there's fairly stiff competition for these scholarships based on quality of the essay?

They're seem to be handed out pretty much based on numbers so I would guess mostly the former. It's a way to YP the scholarship money a little. I would do a good job but not stress too much.

I assume y'all do not think this is the case for those of us invited to apply for the Toll Public Interest Scholarships? I am still assuming that is a long shot...

I suppose I could continue to avoid writing my short answers for the Toll Scholarship by reading last year's thread to try to get a sense.... nah, too lazy.

lxhyss
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:36 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby lxhyss » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:55 am

Anyone has an idea about how many people got admitted from the wait list, typically? Do they really wait until mid-may to review your materials again and render the final decision even later than that? Plan to call the adcom a few days later, any tips?

Sorry for the machine-gun of questions but I really have no clue what to do now.

And congratulations to the admitted and good luck to those who are still checking their status checkers every 5min :D

lovelyx09
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:53 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby lovelyx09 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:27 pm

In on 2/8. 170 LSAT, 3.8x.

Sorry if this has already been answered, but when do we get our login information for the admitted students website? Does it come via email?

CMC88
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:38 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby CMC88 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:43 pm

lovelyx09 wrote:In on 2/8. 170 LSAT, 3.8x.

Sorry if this has already been answered, but when do we get our login information for the admitted students website? Does it come via email?


I received the information via e-mail.

User avatar
JamesDean1955
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby JamesDean1955 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:49 pm

lovelyx09 wrote:In on 2/8. 170 LSAT, 3.8x.

Sorry if this has already been answered, but when do we get our login information for the admitted students website? Does it come via email?


I received mine 3 days after acceptance (was accepted within two weeks of your acceptance date).

EDIT: Edited for grammar and also to say it came via email as well.

az21833
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby az21833 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:01 pm

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:
az21833 wrote:just curious - how long after your admit call did you guys get these wilson invites? and they were email right?

five days later by email... had 10 days to write the essay

ETA: and they never confirmed that they had received the essay, which still worries me a bit


praying for a phone call and wilson invite. i much prefer penn to its peers

User avatar
02889
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:21 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby 02889 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:34 pm

az21833 wrote:praying for a phone call and wilson invite. i much prefer penn to its peers

Would the Wilson (20-25/yr) really sway you from Columbia? I guess it's a hard choice between Penn with $$ and Columbia maybe at sticker, but you'll probably snag some $ there too. I envy your position!

az21833
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby az21833 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:49 pm

very doubtful i get any $ at Columbia i think, their official word seems to be only merit aid comes with admission and the rest is need. Understand that need usually means need/merit blend but my lack-of-financial-need is so outrageous that i can't give any school giving me any money under the "need-aid" banner.

and yes penn 50% off would certainly put it contention with cls at sticker, for me. im relatively debt averse and know that both schools will allow me to accomplish my career goals.

User avatar
02889
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:21 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby 02889 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:54 pm

az21833 wrote:very doubtful i get any $ at Columbia i think, their official word seems to be only merit aid comes with admission and the rest is need. Understand that need usually means need/merit blend but my lack-of-financial-need is so outrageous that i can't give any school giving me any money under the "need-aid" banner.

and yes penn 50% off would certainly put it contention with cls at sticker, for me. im relatively debt averse and know that both schools will allow me to accomplish my career goals.

I still have trouble believing that Penn's highest scholarship award (besides the Toll) is $25,000/year. Even in years when applications are super high, how does Penn ever compete with CCN or VM when it comes to wooing students? UVA and Michigan will always apparently outbid them, and I think plenty of students with great numbers would choose Columbia or NYU at sticker or close to it over Penn, if all they got was max 20k/year.

Be more generous, Penn!

az21833
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby az21833 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:59 pm

i think there is also the levy which not PI-related at all and is a full-ride

spyke123
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 2:41 am

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby spyke123 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:01 pm

02889 wrote:
az21833 wrote:very doubtful i get any $ at Columbia i think, their official word seems to be only merit aid comes with admission and the rest is need. Understand that need usually means need/merit blend but my lack-of-financial-need is so outrageous that i can't give any school giving me any money under the "need-aid" banner.

and yes penn 50% off would certainly put it contention with cls at sticker, for me. im relatively debt averse and know that both schools will allow me to accomplish my career goals.

I still have trouble believing that Penn's highest scholarship award (besides the Toll) is $25,000/year. Even in years when applications are super high, how does Penn ever compete with CCN or VM when it comes to wooing students? UVA and Michigan will always apparently outbid them, and I think plenty of students with great numbers would choose Columbia or NYU at sticker or close to it over Penn, if all they got was max 20k/year.

Be more generous, Penn!


cuz crazy people (like me) would pay sticker at penn over $$ from its peers..

User avatar
banjo
Posts: 1345
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:00 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby banjo » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:02 pm

Sent a LOCI and additional two-page essay. Hoping to get off hold!

az21833 wrote:very doubtful i get any $ at Columbia i think, their official word seems to be only merit aid comes with admission and the rest is need. Understand that need usually means need/merit blend but my lack-of-financial-need is so outrageous that i can't give any school giving me any money under the "need-aid" banner.

and yes penn 50% off would certainly put it contention with cls at sticker, for me. im relatively debt averse and know that both schools will allow me to accomplish my career goals.


They do give out merit aid later, but it is typically less than a Butler (half-tuition). I think you might get 40k?


Penn's LSAT split is 164-171 or something like that. I don't think they try to compete for CCN students -- in fact, they often YP them. They do offer fantastic placement relative to MVB, and savvy applicants will pay for that advantage.

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby Rahviveh » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:10 pm

banjo wrote:Sent a LOCI and additional two-page essay. Hoping to get off hold!

az21833 wrote:very doubtful i get any $ at Columbia i think, their official word seems to be only merit aid comes with admission and the rest is need. Understand that need usually means need/merit blend but my lack-of-financial-need is so outrageous that i can't give any school giving me any money under the "need-aid" banner.

and yes penn 50% off would certainly put it contention with cls at sticker, for me. im relatively debt averse and know that both schools will allow me to accomplish my career goals.


They do give out merit aid later, but it is typically less than a Butler (half-tuition). I think you might get 40k?


Penn's LSAT split is 164-171 or something like that. I don't think they try to compete for CCN students -- in fact, they often YP them. They do offer fantastic placement relative to MVB, and savvy applicants will pay for that advantage.


Plus, they have a smaller class to fill. Plenty of people will pay a premium for Penn over MVB

LRGhost
Posts: 1869
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby LRGhost » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:12 pm

"Need" doesn't really mean anything, fwiw. Just because you're loaded doesn't mean you won't get "need" based aid.

az21833
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby az21833 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:16 pm

LRGhost wrote:"Need" doesn't really mean anything, fwiw. Just because you're loaded doesn't mean you won't get "need" based aid.


so they make us fill out how much we spent at the dentist last year and mail in all of our tax forms and parents tax forms for nothing?

RE: Penn premium. they have a smaller class, much stronger brand name, superior location and significantly better biglaw placement than MVB. makes sense that they are stingier as a result. they view themselves on the CCN level i bet.

LRGhost
Posts: 1869
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby LRGhost » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:03 pm

az21833 wrote:
LRGhost wrote:"Need" doesn't really mean anything, fwiw. Just because you're loaded doesn't mean you won't get "need" based aid.


so they make us fill out how much we spent at the dentist last year and mail in all of our tax forms and parents tax forms for nothing?


No, but yes. If you have good scores, didn't get 'merit', but won't qualify for need, you can still get aid. Call it what you want.

User avatar
RSterling
Posts: 358
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby RSterling » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:01 pm

I was a first round admit and I still have not heard anything regarding merit-aid. Is it safe to say that it's not coming my way? Should I e-mail to see if I'm still being considered for merit-aid?

User avatar
02889
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:21 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby 02889 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:08 pm

RSterling wrote:I was a first round admit and I still have not heard anything regarding merit-aid. Is it safe to say that it's not coming my way? Should I e-mail to see if I'm still being considered for merit-aid?

Outside of name scholarships, they send out need/merit combined awards starting in March. That said, it's up for debate whether you should email them beforehand.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dojodawg, joezze, patrickkpaul, RictusErectus and 7 guests