az21833 wrote: Nelson wrote:
az21833 wrote:thanks for the advice man, so they arent considerate of other schools deadlines at all? and unless you get levy/wilson/toll you are SOL? i need to wait to see if i get in but if i do i will start houding them right away for sure.
They basically waited until a few days before my Deadlines for other schools. The initial offers for people who didn't get named scholarships were pretty low (def don't count on MV size offers). They did negotiate but results were mixed (some got decent boosts, some just nominal bumps). Dunno how things will be different this year given how much apps are down. Good luck and remember to negotiate hard since you only get one shot at it. My only regret from my cycle is not starting earlier and being more demanding about money.
thanks do you mind just giving your two cents on the actual logistics of negotiating merit aid? is it better to send emails or hard letters and who should we reach out to specifically at respective schools? should we send documentation of other offers or is that overkill? does our request need to be couched in a why X type essay?
very much appreciate your guidance here - you seem to know how this goes on haha. and theres nothing you can do until you get in right
I think emails should be your start. Just send everything you've got and see what they do. Focus on whoever the financial aid contact is since they're just going to route everything through the same process anyway.
After you get your offer, follow up, even if you don't have new offers. Id probably call too. I know a guy who was visiting and just walked by admissions and asked for more money. That's a little extreme but they upped his scholarship.
It feels ridiculous to beg if you have no leverage but just remember you have nothing to lose, they need you more than you need them. Penn has tons of cash and sticker tuition is insanely expensive. Better to go all out now then regret not asking for more next year when your GradPlus interest is capitalizing.