Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby 02889 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:01 pm

az21833 wrote:wait your planning on negotiating before you even have a merit aid offer from them? you wont even know their starting point...

I might as well. I doubt their starting point will be higher than UVA or Michigan, and I doubt I could do any better than having them match anyway.
az21833 wrote:When does penn merit aid non-named come out? With financial aid or prior or later? March?

If you want to let them know ab an offer, do you just email the general admissions address or is there a better way?

I think they started in late March, and some people were waiting into mid-April, despite notifying Penn of deposit deadlines at other schools. Probably email the general admissions address, yeah.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:25 am

02889 wrote:
az21833 wrote:wait your planning on negotiating before you even have a merit aid offer from them? you wont even know their starting point...

I might as well. I doubt their starting point will be higher than UVA or Michigan, and I doubt I could do any better than having them match anyway.
az21833 wrote:When does penn merit aid non-named come out? With financial aid or prior or later? March?

If you want to let them know ab an offer, do you just email the general admissions address or is there a better way?

I think they started in late March, and some people were waiting into mid-April, despite notifying Penn of deposit deadlines at other schools. Probably email the general admissions address, yeah.

They were huge dicks last year about negotiating and odeadlines for other schools. And stingy with their first offers to people who weren't invited to named scholarships. I would send everything you've got now and then keep the pressure on.

az21833

Postby az21833 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:17 am

thanks for the advice man, so they arent considerate of other schools deadlines at all? and unless you get levy/wilson/toll you are SOL? i need to wait to see if i get in but if i do i will start houding them right away for sure.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:32 am

az21833 wrote:thanks for the advice man, so they arent considerate of other schools deadlines at all? and unless you get levy/wilson/toll you are SOL? i need to wait to see if i get in but if i do i will start houding them right away for sure.

They basically waited until a few days before my Deadlines for other schools. The initial offers for people who didn't get named scholarships were pretty low (def don't count on MV size offers). They did negotiate but results were mixed (some got decent boosts, some just nominal bumps). Dunno how things will be different this year given how much apps are down. Good luck and remember to negotiate hard since you only get one shot at it. My only regret from my cycle is not starting earlier and being more demanding about money.

az21833

Postby az21833 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:35 am

Nelson wrote:
az21833 wrote:thanks for the advice man, so they arent considerate of other schools deadlines at all? and unless you get levy/wilson/toll you are SOL? i need to wait to see if i get in but if i do i will start houding them right away for sure.

They basically waited until a few days before my Deadlines for other schools. The initial offers for people who didn't get named scholarships were pretty low (def don't count on MV size offers). They did negotiate but results were mixed (some got decent boosts, some just nominal bumps). Dunno how things will be different this year given how much apps are down. Good luck and remember to negotiate hard since you only get one shot at it. My only regret from my cycle is not starting earlier and being more demanding about money.

thanks do you mind just giving your two cents on the actual logistics of negotiating merit aid? is it better to send emails or hard letters and who should we reach out to specifically at respective schools? should we send documentation of other offers or is that overkill? does our request need to be couched in a why X type essay?

very much appreciate your guidance here - you seem to know how this goes on haha. and theres nothing you can do until you get in right

venus

Postby venus » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:37 am

So I was held back in December but I keep refreshing my status checker, since a hold means no decision so far... But I was wondering if anyone has maybe checked last year's thread or somehow knows when the people who have been held typically hear something. Could it be pretty much any time, or is it more likely to hear back later in the cycle (like April)...

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:45 am

az21833 wrote:
Nelson wrote:

thanks do you mind just giving your two cents on the actual logistics of negotiating merit aid? is it better to send emails or hard letters and who should we reach out to specifically at respective schools? should we send documentation of other offers or is that overkill? does our request need to be couched in a why X type essay?

very much appreciate your guidance here - you seem to know how this goes on haha. and theres nothing you can do until you get in right

I think emails should be your start. Just send everything you've got and see what they do. Focus on whoever the financial aid contact is since they're just going to route everything through the same process anyway.

After you get your offer, follow up, even if you don't have new offers. Id probably call too. I know a guy who was visiting and just walked by admissions and asked for more money. That's a little extreme but they upped his scholarship.

It feels ridiculous to beg if you have no leverage but just remember you have nothing to lose, they need you more than you need them. Penn has tons of cash and sticker tuition is insanely expensive. Better to go all out now then regret not asking for more next year when your GradPlus interest is capitalizing.

JohnMarshall17

Postby JohnMarshall17 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:43 am

I'm having trouble finding the travel reimbursement policy for ASW on the admitted students website. Does anyone know where to find it? Thanks!

Nickg415

Postby Nickg415 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:47 am

JohnMarshall17 wrote:I'm having trouble finding the travel reimbursement policy for ASW on the admitted students website. Does anyone know where to find it? Thanks!

I found it a few weeks back but have since lost the tab it was on. Maybe I'll try and find it again and give you the link. Basically they give you up to 200$ for travel (not driving) you turn in the form while you are there with the your receipts (I think you can get the form while you are there) and they reimburse you in about 2 weeks.

I just spent a few minutes trying to find it but couldn't find it again. Guess they don't want it to be too easy to get money back.

Also LOL at the idea of finding a means of getting to Philly from out of state for under 200$. Cheapest I could find was 500$.

az21833

Postby az21833 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:12 am

Nelson wrote:
az21833 wrote:
Nelson wrote:

I think emails should be your start. Just send everything you've got and see what they do. Focus on whoever the financial aid contact is since they're just going to route everything through the same process anyway.

After you get your offer, follow up, even if you don't have new offers. Id probably call too. I know a guy who was visiting and just walked by admissions and asked for more money. That's a little extreme but they upped his scholarship.

It feels ridiculous to beg if you have no leverage but just remember you have nothing to lose, they need you more than you need them. Penn has tons of cash and sticker tuition is insanely expensive. Better to go all out now then regret not asking for more next year when your GradPlus interest is capitalizing.

this is perfect. il be sure to reach out tot he fin aid director via email right after admission if im lucky enough to get in. this is extremely helpful - thank you

UCR1 2/5

curious66

Postby curious66 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:19 am

venus wrote:So I was held back in December but I keep refreshing my status checker, since a hold means no decision so far... But I was wondering if anyone has maybe checked last year's thread or somehow knows when the people who have been held typically hear something. Could it be pretty much any time, or is it more likely to hear back later in the cycle (like April)...

Hey, same boat here. I heard most that are held get WL in the late Feb/March timeframe. Again, that was last year. This year, with the applicant drop, maybe Penn will do something different. There is a "held at Penn?" thread you might want to post this in, but best I can tell, no one has heard yet after being "held".

venus

Postby venus » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:56 pm

curious66 wrote:
venus wrote:So I was held back in December but I keep refreshing my status checker, since a hold means no decision so far... But I was wondering if anyone has maybe checked last year's thread or somehow knows when the people who have been held typically hear something. Could it be pretty much any time, or is it more likely to hear back later in the cycle (like April)...

Hey, same boat here. I heard most that are held get WL in the late Feb/March timeframe. Again, that was last year. This year, with the applicant drop, maybe Penn will do something different. There is a "held at Penn?" thread you might want to post this in, but best I can tell, no one has heard yet after being "held".

I scrolled through February and March of last year's thread last night and couldn't find anything about holds, so I though maybe they weren't formally holding people last year, even though it could just be that when people reported their decisions, they didn't say anything about being held. At the same time, some people said they didn't get a decision for over 16 weeks. I guess we should just sit tight :)

JamesDean1955

Postby JamesDean1955 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:56 pm

Nickg415 wrote:
JohnMarshall17 wrote:I'm having trouble finding the travel reimbursement policy for ASW on the admitted students website. Does anyone know where to find it? Thanks!

I found it a few weeks back but have since lost the tab it was on. Maybe I'll try and find it again and give you the link. Basically they give you up to 200$ for travel (not driving) you turn in the form while you are there with the your receipts (I think you can get the form while you are there) and they reimburse you in about 2 weeks.

I just spent a few minutes trying to find it but couldn't find it again. Guess they don't want it to be too easy to get money back.

Also LOL at the idea of finding a means of getting to Philly from out of state for under 200$. Cheapest I could find was 500$.

So when they say reimbursement for "mileage", that doesn't include driving?

Nickg415

Postby Nickg415 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:01 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:
Nickg415 wrote:

So when they say reimbursement for "mileage", that doesn't include driving?

If that's what it says on the form I would assume that driving would be included. I don't recall seeing that and it seems most schools don't cover driving costs.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:07 pm

az21833 wrote:
GoIggles wrote:We had two reports of Levy invitations on the previous page. From thumbing around through old threads it seems like, in previous years, they've gone out in big waves. If that were the case this year though, I'd expect more people here to be receiving them. Did anybody else get one or are we potentially looking at a more staggered invite schedule than in years past?

+1

is it email or snail mail? how long after admission?

Mine was over email, one week after acceptance

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:37 pm

Withdrew my application today, goodluck everyone!

ht2988

Postby ht2988 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:46 pm

Anyone want to trade Penn-specific LOCI's? I applied mid-November and was held on 1/25 (LGBT & extreme splitter: GPA below 25th and LSAT above 75th)...

Jaqen

Postby Jaqen » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:19 pm

ht2988 wrote:Anyone want to trade Penn-specific LOCI's? I applied mid-November and was held on 1/25 (LGBT & extreme splitter: GPA below 25th and LSAT above 75th)...

I'll take a look.

ht2988

Postby ht2988 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:38 pm

Jaqen wrote:
ht2988 wrote:Anyone want to trade Penn-specific LOCI's? I applied mid-November and was held on 1/25 (LGBT & extreme splitter: GPA below 25th and LSAT above 75th)...

I'll take a look.

Great - thanks... I should have it done by noon tomorrow. PM me yours whenever you'd like!

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:08 pm

ht2988 wrote:
Jaqen wrote:

I'll take a look.

Great - thanks... I should have it done by noon tomorrow. PM me yours whenever you'd like!

We effectively have similar numbers though I think your GPA is going to get you better results. I submitted a Why UPenn? which kind of read like a LOCI, I guess. I'd be happy to read it, though.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:32 pm

Does it make any sense to write a LOCI if you still don't have a decision yet? It's been 11 weeks since I first went under review, and something like 18 or 19 since my application went complete. I know LOCIs are usually for people who have been WLed, but might it be appropriate now? It just seems like an abnormally long time to be UR.

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:49 pm

I wouldn't. Save it for a WL.

curious66

Postby curious66 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:51 am

elterrible78 wrote:Does it make any sense to write a LOCI if you still don't have a decision yet? It's been 11 weeks since I first went under review, and something like 18 or 19 since my application went complete. I know LOCIs are usually for people who have been WLed, but might it be appropriate now? It just seems like an abnormally long time to be UR.

General advice here on TLS has been to wait until you have a decision. I'm in a similar boat with few other peer schools and the wait is frustrating.

banjo

Postby banjo » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:55 am

elterrible78 wrote:Does it make any sense to write a LOCI if you still don't have a decision yet? It's been 11 weeks since I first went under review, and something like 18 or 19 since my application went complete. I know LOCIs are usually for people who have been WLed, but might it be appropriate now? It just seems like an abnormally long time to be UR.

I wrote a LOCI a few months after sending my app and it might have been what got me a hold instead of a WL (unless they're the same thing?). I plan to write an additional essay to get off the hold.

curious66

Postby curious66 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:56 am

banjo wrote:

I wrote a LOCI a few months after sending my app and it might have been what got me a hold instead of a WL (unless they're the same thing?). I plan to write an additional essay to get off the hold.

Hold is apparently different from the WL. But only Penn knows what that means.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”