Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby shntn » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:37 pm

sd1234 wrote:
UMich11 wrote:Is it a call if admitted, email if WL/rejected? what's the deal?


And is it the same for international applicants?

Also, is UCR 2 a necessary condition for admission?

Sorry for the twenty questions...

I went from UCR1 to admitted.

User avatar
Jpreece59
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:26 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby Jpreece59 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:54 pm

shntn wrote:
sd1234 wrote:
UMich11 wrote:Is it a call if admitted, email if WL/rejected? what's the deal?


And is it the same for international applicants?

Also, is UCR 2 a necessary condition for admission?

Sorry for the twenty questions...

I went from UCR1 to admitted.


How long after UR1 until a decision?

icanbeohyes
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:52 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby icanbeohyes » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:56 pm

So basically there is no pattern in admits? I went UCR 1/17, UCR2 2/5. This can mean anything, correct?

LRGhost
Posts: 1869
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby LRGhost » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:03 pm

icanbeohyes wrote:So basically there is no pattern in admits? I went UCR 1/17, UCR2 2/5. This can mean anything, correct?


argh im still at ucr 1/17 :(

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby Micdiddy » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:04 pm

LRGhost wrote:
icanbeohyes wrote:So basically there is no pattern in admits? I went UCR 1/17, UCR2 2/5. This can mean anything, correct?


argh im still at ucr 1/17 :(


I'm still at complete 1/28

User avatar
JamesDean1955
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby JamesDean1955 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:23 pm

icanbeohyes wrote:So basically there is no pattern in admits? I went UCR 1/17, UCR2 2/5. This can mean anything, correct?


No real pattern, but after your second UCR it seems most likely you will get a decision within the next 3 weeks, most people seem to have gotten it within two weeks of their UCR2. Just my observation anyways.

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby shntn » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:25 pm

Jpreece59 wrote:
How long after UR1 until a decision?

In my case, UCR1 was 11/20, decision was 12/20.

User avatar
jcan91
Posts: 224
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:24 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby jcan91 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:27 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:
icanbeohyes wrote:So basically there is no pattern in admits? I went UCR 1/17, UCR2 2/5. This can mean anything, correct?


No real pattern, but after your second UCR it seems most likely you will get a decision within the next 3 weeks, most people seem to have gotten it within two weeks of their UCR2. Just my observation anyways.


Today marks 2 weeks for me to a tee since UCR 2...

User avatar
JamesDean1955
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby JamesDean1955 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:27 pm

02889 wrote:The LSAC data (which I believe includes the classes of 2012, 2013, and 2014) states that, of 803 students, 351 or 43.7% receive grants of any kind, and the majority of those students (278 or 79%) received grants for less than 1/2 tuition.

I think Penn will be more generous this year, though. I just can't see how they can afford not to be. NYU even invented a new full-tuition scholarship (it had previously been a named scholarship for LLM students) to give to people, presumably just to be more competitive this year.


Hope this is the case. There are many people with big scholarships at UVA and Michigan (seriously, where does all their money come from, and it seems like they accept a ridiculous amount of people), and I find it hard to believe Penn won't take these into consideration. Matching scholarships from UVA and Mich are unlikely, but I could seem them matching portions.

User avatar
02889
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:21 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby 02889 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:29 pm

Jpreece59 wrote:
shntn wrote:
sd1234 wrote:
UMich11 wrote:Is it a call if admitted, email if WL/rejected? what's the deal?


And is it the same for international applicants?

Also, is UCR 2 a necessary condition for admission?

Sorry for the twenty questions...

I went from UCR1 to admitted.


How long after UR1 until a decision?

UCR1 on 11/20, no UCR2, admitted 12/17. I think there's been wide variability. The 11/20 date is also less helpful since I believe that's the first date that most early RD applicants went UCR, but I might be mistaken on that.

User avatar
JamesDean1955
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby JamesDean1955 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:29 pm

jcan91 wrote:
JamesDean1955 wrote:
icanbeohyes wrote:So basically there is no pattern in admits? I went UCR 1/17, UCR2 2/5. This can mean anything, correct?


No real pattern, but after your second UCR it seems most likely you will get a decision within the next 3 weeks, most people seem to have gotten it within two weeks of their UCR2. Just my observation anyways.


Today marks 2 weeks for me to a tee since UCR 2...


Penn seems to have a preference for (1) admitting people later in the week (Thurs or Fri), and (2) releasing decisions later in the day (around 5pm until later). So I'd be on the lookout for a decision towards the end of the day this Thursday or Friday, if not same times next week!

User avatar
02889
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:21 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby 02889 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:31 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:
02889 wrote:The LSAC data (which I believe includes the classes of 2012, 2013, and 2014) states that, of 803 students, 351 or 43.7% receive grants of any kind, and the majority of those students (278 or 79%) received grants for less than 1/2 tuition.

I think Penn will be more generous this year, though. I just can't see how they can afford not to be. NYU even invented a new full-tuition scholarship (it had previously been a named scholarship for LLM students) to give to people, presumably just to be more competitive this year.


Hope this is the case. There are many people with big scholarships at UVA and Michigan (seriously, where does all their money come from, and it seems like they accept a ridiculous amount of people), and I find it hard to believe Penn won't take these into consideration. Matching scholarships from UVA and Mich are unlikely, but I could seem them matching portions.

I don't understand how Penn wouldn't try to match UVA's offers. UVA and Penn have identical medians - 170/3.85. Michigan is sitting at 169/3.73 so I'd (sort of) understand why Penn wouldn't entertain them as a peer for matching purposes, but UVA is trying to protect identical medians. I can't imagine Penn wants to be outplayed and slip to a 169 median while UVA maintains its 170.

User avatar
JamesDean1955
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby JamesDean1955 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:37 pm

02889 wrote:
JamesDean1955 wrote:
02889 wrote:The LSAC data (which I believe includes the classes of 2012, 2013, and 2014) states that, of 803 students, 351 or 43.7% receive grants of any kind, and the majority of those students (278 or 79%) received grants for less than 1/2 tuition.

I think Penn will be more generous this year, though. I just can't see how they can afford not to be. NYU even invented a new full-tuition scholarship (it had previously been a named scholarship for LLM students) to give to people, presumably just to be more competitive this year.


Hope this is the case. There are many people with big scholarships at UVA and Michigan (seriously, where does all their money come from, and it seems like they accept a ridiculous amount of people), and I find it hard to believe Penn won't take these into consideration. Matching scholarships from UVA and Mich are unlikely, but I could seem them matching portions.

I don't understand how Penn wouldn't try to match UVA's offers. UVA and Penn have identical medians - 170/3.85. Michigan is sitting at 169/3.73 so I'd (sort of) understand why Penn wouldn't entertain them as a peer for matching purposes, but UVA is trying to protect identical medians. I can't imagine Penn wants to be outplayed and slip to a 169 median while UVA maintains its 170.


Isn't Penn's median 3.745? Going by the 25th/75th on their website, which are 3.55/3.94, the midpoint would be 3.745. Idk if you're using lsn info, which I would say is unrepresentative of the whole applicant pool. Idc either way, just curious. It also seems VERY unlikely that UVA has a 3.85 median this cycle.

I agree about them being more likely to match UVA than Michigan though (which sucks for me, because I have a large scholarship at the latter but not the former)

User avatar
LSATSCORES2012
Posts: 770
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:12 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:42 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:Isn't Penn's median 3.745? Going by the 25th/75th on their website, which are 3.55/3.94, the midpoint would be 3.745. Idk if you're using lsn info, which I would say is unrepresentative of the whole applicant pool. Idc either way, just curious. It also seems VERY unlikely that UVA has a 3.85 median this cycle.

I agree about them being more likely to match UVA than Michigan though (which sucks for me, because I have a large scholarship at the latter but not the former)

Last year their median was 3.87. keep in mind that medians are generally much closer to 75th percentiles than 25th percentiles. (Remember the general TLS wisdom that an LSAT score 1 point below median and 10 points below median look the same to AdComm's? I believe this somewhat explains the observation.)

User avatar
JamesDean1955
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby JamesDean1955 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:43 pm

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:
JamesDean1955 wrote:Isn't Penn's median 3.745? Going by the 25th/75th on their website, which are 3.55/3.94, the midpoint would be 3.745. Idk if you're using lsn info, which I would say is unrepresentative of the whole applicant pool. Idc either way, just curious. It also seems VERY unlikely that UVA has a 3.85 median this cycle.

I agree about them being more likely to match UVA than Michigan though (which sucks for me, because I have a large scholarship at the latter but not the former)

Last year their median was 3.87. keep in mind that medians are generally much closer to 75th percentiles than 25th percentiles. (Remember the general TLS wisdom that an LSAT score 1 point below median and 10 points below median look the same to AdComm's? I believe this somewhat explains the observation.)


Gotcha, it's been awhile since I've used any sort of statistics, or math for that matter :oops:

curious66
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby curious66 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:46 pm

02889 wrote:
JamesDean1955 wrote:
02889 wrote:The LSAC data (which I believe includes the classes of 2012, 2013, and 2014) states that, of 803 students, 351 or 43.7% receive grants of any kind, and the majority of those students (278 or 79%) received grants for less than 1/2 tuition.

I think Penn will be more generous this year, though. I just can't see how they can afford not to be. NYU even invented a new full-tuition scholarship (it had previously been a named scholarship for LLM students) to give to people, presumably just to be more competitive this year.


Hope this is the case. There are many people with big scholarships at UVA and Michigan (seriously, where does all their money come from, and it seems like they accept a ridiculous amount of people), and I find it hard to believe Penn won't take these into consideration. Matching scholarships from UVA and Mich are unlikely, but I could seem them matching portions.

I don't understand how Penn wouldn't try to match UVA's offers. UVA and Penn have identical medians - 170/3.85. Michigan is sitting at 169/3.73 so I'd (sort of) understand why Penn wouldn't entertain them as a peer for matching purposes, but UVA is trying to protect identical medians. I can't imagine Penn wants to be outplayed and slip to a 169 median while UVA maintains its 170.


agreed. I would not discount Michigan's clout though --even with the 169 vs. 170 median discussion.

User avatar
02889
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:21 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby 02889 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:53 pm

curious66 wrote:
02889 wrote:I don't understand how Penn wouldn't try to match UVA's offers. UVA and Penn have identical medians - 170/3.85. Michigan is sitting at 169/3.73 so I'd (sort of) understand why Penn wouldn't entertain them as a peer for matching purposes, but UVA is trying to protect identical medians. I can't imagine Penn wants to be outplayed and slip to a 169 median while UVA maintains its 170.


agreed. I would not discount Michigan's clout though --even with the 169 vs. 170 median discussion.

Yeah, I'm hoping Michigan's offers are seen as competitive to Penn also, especially when Michigan's and UVA's offers have been so similar this year. I just don't see it happening that people with $$ from M and V get little to nothing from P. I'm just really really hoping that we all get $$ (and for those still waiting, get acceptances) from P and don't get crushed by debt for choosing to live in Philly.

User avatar
JamesDean1955
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby JamesDean1955 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:06 pm

Since we're on the topic of scholarship negotiations, what is everyone planning with regards to timing: Are you planning to wait until March/April when you have all of your offers and acceptances (assume it takes that long, seems to be the case for most people), or will you negotiate as soon as you have a decent offer somewhere?

User avatar
02889
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:21 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby 02889 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:11 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:Since we're on the topic of scholarship negotiations, what is everyone planning with regards to timing: Are you planning to wait until March/April when you have all of your offers and acceptances (assume it takes that long, seems to be the case for most people), or will you negotiate as soon as you have a decent offer somewhere?

I'm thinking of sending them an email soon, since I have offers from UVA and Michigan, and if Penn came close I'd be thrilled. So I don't get a standard "Please submit FAFSA and Need Access first" response, I plan to submit all that stuff before I reach out to them. If I thought there was a chance Penn would offer more than V or M, I'd wait, but that seems so unlikely.

GoIggles
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:55 am

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby GoIggles » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:49 pm

We had two reports of Levy invitations on the previous page. From thumbing around through old threads it seems like, in previous years, they've gone out in big waves. If that were the case this year though, I'd expect more people here to be receiving them. Did anybody else get one or are we potentially looking at a more staggered invite schedule than in years past?

az21833
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby az21833 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:22 pm

GoIggles wrote:We had two reports of Levy invitations on the previous page. From thumbing around through old threads it seems like, in previous years, they've gone out in big waves. If that were the case this year though, I'd expect more people here to be receiving them. Did anybody else get one or are we potentially looking at a more staggered invite schedule than in years past?


+1

is it email or snail mail? how long after admission?

az21833
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby az21833 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:23 pm

02889 wrote:
JamesDean1955 wrote:Since we're on the topic of scholarship negotiations, what is everyone planning with regards to timing: Are you planning to wait until March/April when you have all of your offers and acceptances (assume it takes that long, seems to be the case for most people), or will you negotiate as soon as you have a decent offer somewhere?

I'm thinking of sending them an email soon, since I have offers from UVA and Michigan, and if Penn came close I'd be thrilled. So I don't get a standard "Please submit FAFSA and Need Access first" response, I plan to submit all that stuff before I reach out to them. If I thought there was a chance Penn would offer more than V or M, I'd wait, but that seems so unlikely.


wait your planning on negotiating before you even have a merit aid offer from them? you wont even know their starting point...

SportsFan
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby SportsFan » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:55 pm

02889 wrote:
JamesDean1955 wrote:
02889 wrote:The LSAC data (which I believe includes the classes of 2012, 2013, and 2014) states that, of 803 students, 351 or 43.7% receive grants of any kind, and the majority of those students (278 or 79%) received grants for less than 1/2 tuition.

I think Penn will be more generous this year, though. I just can't see how they can afford not to be. NYU even invented a new full-tuition scholarship (it had previously been a named scholarship for LLM students) to give to people, presumably just to be more competitive this year.


Hope this is the case. There are many people with big scholarships at UVA and Michigan (seriously, where does all their money come from, and it seems like they accept a ridiculous amount of people), and I find it hard to believe Penn won't take these into consideration. Matching scholarships from UVA and Mich are unlikely, but I could seem them matching portions.

I don't understand how Penn wouldn't try to match UVA's offers. UVA and Penn have identical medians - 170/3.85. Michigan is sitting at 169/3.73 so I'd (sort of) understand why Penn wouldn't entertain them as a peer for matching purposes, but UVA is trying to protect identical medians. I can't imagine Penn wants to be outplayed and slip to a 169 median while UVA maintains its 170.

FWIW, I think Penn sees their main competitors as the NY schools (Columbia and NYU) because the geography means a lot of people (well, non-TLSers) who go to Penn want to work in NYC (or the northeast in general) so they may not be considering MV much compared to CN. I remember meeting a ton of people at ASW last year who were choosing between Penn and NYU, just as a personal anecdote.

spyke123
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 2:41 am

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby spyke123 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:00 pm

When does penn usually give out decisions? Wed/Fri right?

az21833
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby az21833 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:52 pm

When does penn merit aid non-named come out? With financial aid or prior or later? March?

If you want to let them know ab an offer, do you just email the general admissions address or is there a better way?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: carlos_danger, genjustice, jstans and 17 guests