Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
gonnaknow
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:30 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby gonnaknow » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:30 am

shntn wrote:
gonnaknow wrote:Question here: if us ED2 got waitlisted, is it still binding or just like RD?

Not binding at that point.



Thanks.

salad456
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:04 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby salad456 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:09 am

chickpea wrote:
risa wrote:
chickpea wrote:
risa wrote:Can anyone apply to the toll public interest scholars program or is it invite only? I just got an email about applying and just wondering if it is a good sign or an email that went to all admits (or anyone who checked a public interest box or something).


I think the email was the invitation to apply.


Thanks. I just didn't know if the email went out to everyone like the public interest application emails I got from BC or Texas. I answered my own question by reading the email more carefully (I was on my phone before and just skimmed it!) Its by invite.


Cool, I got the email as well. I'm wondering how many people are invited to apply for the scholarship? Looks like there are only six spots available.


I was admitted Friday, and in the phone call Dean Post said she was nominating me for the Toll PI Scholars Program. (however, I have not received an email inviting me to apply). Not sure what the difference is between being nominated vs. invited to apply...

User avatar
02889
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:21 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby 02889 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:30 am

salad456 wrote:I was admitted Friday, and in the phone call Dean Post said she was nominating me for the Toll PI Scholars Program. (however, I have not received an email inviting me to apply). Not sure what the difference is between being nominated vs. invited to apply...

Congrats! I got the email invite on Friday. I think that makes 4 in this thread. I was a little surprised that the essay questions are so generic, since I pretty much covered all of this in my personal statement, but I guess it never hurts to say it all over again when there's a chance at a hefty scholarship.

CMC88
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:38 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby CMC88 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:58 am

02889 wrote:
salad456 wrote:I was admitted Friday, and in the phone call Dean Post said she was nominating me for the Toll PI Scholars Program. (however, I have not received an email inviting me to apply). Not sure what the difference is between being nominated vs. invited to apply...

Congrats! I got the email invite on Friday. I think that makes 4 in this thread. I was a little surprised that the essay questions are so generic, since I pretty much covered all of this in my personal statement, but I guess it never hurts to say it all over again when there's a chance at a hefty scholarship.


I also got the e-mail on Friday for the Toll Public Interest Scholarship. Planning to work on the questions some time this week!

az21833
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby az21833 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:54 pm

have levy or wilson invites gone out? or just toll.

User avatar
risa
Posts: 466
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:03 am

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby risa » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:42 pm

salad456 wrote:I was admitted Friday, and in the phone call Dean Post said she was nominating me for the Toll PI Scholars Program. (however, I have not received an email inviting me to apply). Not sure what the difference is between being nominated vs. invited to apply...

I don't think there is a difference. The email i received said the adcom nominated me so I was receiving this invite.

So so far in this thread it looks like me, chickpea, salad456, CMC88 and 02889 got invites for Toll. I have to imagine that a ton of invites went out if that many of us have already piped up in this thread.

User avatar
chickpea
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby chickpea » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:55 pm

risa wrote:
salad456 wrote:I was admitted Friday, and in the phone call Dean Post said she was nominating me for the Toll PI Scholars Program. (however, I have not received an email inviting me to apply). Not sure what the difference is between being nominated vs. invited to apply...

I don't think there is a difference. The email i received said the adcom nominated me so I was receiving this invite.

So so far in this thread it looks like me, chickpea, salad456, CMC88 and 02889 got invites for Toll. I have to imagine that a ton of invites went out if that many of us have already piped up in this thread.


Yeah, I guess the odds aren't looking too great.

Gisney
Posts: 403
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:32 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby Gisney » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:24 pm

chickpea wrote:
risa wrote:
salad456 wrote:I was admitted Friday, and in the phone call Dean Post said she was nominating me for the Toll PI Scholars Program. (however, I have not received an email inviting me to apply). Not sure what the difference is between being nominated vs. invited to apply...

I don't think there is a difference. The email i received said the adcom nominated me so I was receiving this invite.

So so far in this thread it looks like me, chickpea, salad456, CMC88 and 02889 got invites for Toll. I have to imagine that a ton of invites went out if that many of us have already piped up in this thread.


Yeah, I guess the odds aren't looking too great.


I got the invite last week too.

Lexie_M_89
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:17 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby Lexie_M_89 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:29 am

complete 1/9
URC1 1/16
URC2 1/28

Wish all ED2ers good luck by the end of this week~

drh_104
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:09 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby drh_104 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:34 pm

Has anyone heard about money/heard when they will be sending out scholarship offers? I got great offers from UVA and Mich and I'm wondering if I should go ahead and tell Penn or wait to hear from them first. I don't wanna jump the gun..

jfrasch
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:14 am

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby jfrasch » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:41 pm

drh_104 wrote:Has anyone heard about money/heard when they will be sending out scholarship offers? I got great offers from UVA and Mich and I'm wondering if I should go ahead and tell Penn or wait to hear from them first. I don't wanna jump the gun..



Same here

curious66
Posts: 381
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby curious66 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:47 pm

drh_104 wrote:Has anyone heard about money/heard when they will be sending out scholarship offers? I got great offers from UVA and Mich and I'm wondering if I should go ahead and tell Penn or wait to hear from them first. I don't wanna jump the gun..


General advice on this forum has been to wait it out. You never know, Penn may offer you more than Mich or UVA so, why show your hand now? You can always negotiate up when they have given you a number.

az21833
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby az21833 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:59 pm

curious66 wrote:
drh_104 wrote:Has anyone heard about money/heard when they will be sending out scholarship offers? I got great offers from UVA and Mich and I'm wondering if I should go ahead and tell Penn or wait to hear from them first. I don't wanna jump the gun..


General advice on this forum has been to wait it out. You never know, Penn may offer you more than Mich or UVA so, why show your hand now? You can always negotiate up when they have given you a number.


lol @ penn offering more than uva and um. but yes, wait until you actually knwo what your starting point is going into the negotiation. tcr

User avatar
02889
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:21 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby 02889 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:08 pm

az21833 wrote:
curious66 wrote:
drh_104 wrote:Has anyone heard about money/heard when they will be sending out scholarship offers? I got great offers from UVA and Mich and I'm wondering if I should go ahead and tell Penn or wait to hear from them first. I don't wanna jump the gun..


General advice on this forum has been to wait it out. You never know, Penn may offer you more than Mich or UVA so, why show your hand now? You can always negotiate up when they have given you a number.


lol @ penn offering more than uva and um. but yes, wait until you actually knwo what your starting point is going into the negotiation. tcr

I wonder if that's really as true this year. UVA and Michigan have given way, way more than in past cycles and if Penn doesn't fully grasp what they're competing against, it's possible they'll give everyone the standard amount (which in my case might be close to nothing), and then they'll be overwhelmed by everyone saying "But UVA and Michigan both gave me a billion dollars!!!" which will have unpredictable results. Bringing to their attention now that UVA and Michigan are seriously trying to outbid them might make them have more generous offers in March (not more generous than V or M, but more generous than the usual Penn offer).

az21833
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby az21833 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:16 pm

02889 wrote:
az21833 wrote:
curious66 wrote:
drh_104 wrote:Has anyone heard about money/heard when they will be sending out scholarship offers? I got great offers from UVA and Mich and I'm wondering if I should go ahead and tell Penn or wait to hear from them first. I don't wanna jump the gun..


General advice on this forum has been to wait it out. You never know, Penn may offer you more than Mich or UVA so, why show your hand now? You can always negotiate up when they have given you a number.


lol @ penn offering more than uva and um. but yes, wait until you actually knwo what your starting point is going into the negotiation. tcr

I wonder if that's really as true this year. UVA and Michigan have given way, way more than in past cycles and if Penn doesn't fully grasp what they're competing against, it's possible they'll give everyone the standard amount (which in my case might be close to nothing), and then they'll be overwhelmed by everyone saying "But UVA and Michigan both gave me a billion dollars!!!" which will have unpredictable results. Bringing to their attention now that UVA and Michigan are seriously trying to outbid them might make them have more generous offers in March (not more generous than V or M, but more generous than the usual Penn offer).


sense i get is Penn cares about cls, chicago, nyu, boalt. not uva or um.

User avatar
02889
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:21 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby 02889 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:59 pm

az21833 wrote:sense i get is Penn cares about cls, chicago, nyu, boalt. not uva or um.

That could be true, but I can't see Penn only caring about matching scholarships from CCN or B. That would be totally misunderstanding who their peers are. If someone has $$ from Columbia, a matching amount from Penn probably won't convince them that Philly is where they should be (not always true, but I'd guess most of the time). $45k from Penn could totally grab someone who has $60k from V or M, though. It'd be weird if Penn just didn't engage with their peers, particularly UVA, when UVA is trying to maintain identical medians as Penn.

[edit] Apologies for briefly turning this thread into a scholarship discussion. I know there are more appropriate places for that.

aprilvu
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:51 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby aprilvu » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:36 pm

Went under committee review for the second time just a minute ago. Hopefully a call soon? Maybe?

UMich11
Posts: 409
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:34 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby UMich11 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:43 pm

aprilvu wrote:Went under committee review for the second time just a minute ago. Hopefully a call soon? Maybe?


Just went UCR2 as well. surprised b/c i submitted 1/10ish and my numbers are horrible. I was ED but i switched to RD like the day i went under UCR1 (1/12ish). Let's see what happens!!!

az21833
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby az21833 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:18 pm

UMich11 wrote:
aprilvu wrote:Went under committee review for the second time just a minute ago. Hopefully a call soon? Maybe?


Just went UCR2 as well. surprised b/c i submitted 1/10ish and my numbers are horrible. I was ED but i switched to RD like the day i went under UCR1 (1/12ish). Let's see what happens!!!


uhh i submitted way before that and am not even UCR1. looks like the taht ed-rd move pushed up to the front of the line

ArizonaSecrets
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:31 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby ArizonaSecrets » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:59 pm

I'm ED2 and haven't been paying as close attention to when my status checker updated the UCR. I'm a longshot to begin with, but I'm really hoping for the best this week. Also, it's kinda awkward that I'm registered for the tour this Friday but I'll probably be dinged by then.

User avatar
bananasplit19
Posts: 686
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:53 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby bananasplit19 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:58 pm

This ED2 just got a status update. Status checker now says:

Thank you for your application to the University of Pennsylvania Law School. The Admissions Committee has completed its preliminary review of your application and has decided to hold your file for further review. The admissions process at Penn Law is a deliberative process. Every file is read by numerous members of the Admissions Committee. As of this date, your file has been reviewed by at least two members of the Committee and we are impressed with your credentials. We are continuing our review of your file however, and thus have not yet rendered a decision. Thank you for your patience during this time and best wishes in the coming months.


I'm sure there will be an official "held" e-mail coming my way, but in the meantime, does this mean I get rolled over to the RD crowd? I read earlier in the thread that "held" is not "waitlist."

ETA: nvm, found some discussion in this thread ~Dec 17 and ~Jan 10.
Last edited by bananasplit19 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LRGhost
Posts: 1869
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby LRGhost » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:02 pm

Yes, you're rolled over.

ArizonaSecrets
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:31 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby ArizonaSecrets » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:07 pm

How do you know if it is UCR1 or UCR2? Does it make the distinction on your status or does the status date just change?

aprilvu
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:51 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby aprilvu » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:09 pm

ArizonaSecrets wrote:How do you know if it is UCR1 or UCR2? Does it make the distinction on your status or does the status date just change?


The status date changes.

ArizonaSecrets
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:31 pm

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby ArizonaSecrets » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:16 pm

aprilvu wrote:
ArizonaSecrets wrote:How do you know if it is UCR1 or UCR2? Does it make the distinction on your status or does the status date just change?


The status date changes.


Thank you. So I guess my last update was the 24th and then again today (28th). Hmmm....we shall see.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], canafsa, Cjsanders2, cocozhang9950, Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], mse2020, smashbash and 9 guests