Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
WalkingPlato

Bronze

Re: Penn C/O 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 Cycle)

Post by WalkingPlato » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:43 pm

Nooo.. I see that some received acceptances, waitlists, and holds, but no one received a rejection, though all had their UR2s around my time (late Dec/Early Jan).... I bet they didn't respond to me yet because the only other category left is..... rejection.

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:45 pm

harveyfan wrote:Penn sent me an email asking for my fall grades. Good sign? UCR2 01/09.
On behalf of the Admissions Committee, I want to thank you for your application to the University of Pennsylvania Law School. Your accomplishments to date are impressive and your evident commitment to our institution is not easily matched.

The Admissions Committee has completed its preliminary review of your application and has requested a copy of your Fall 2012 grades.

We request that you email (contactadmissions@law.upenn.edu) which is the preferred method or fax (215.898.9606) a copy of your transcript reflecting your Fall grades directly to the Office of Admissions once it is available. We must subsequently receive the official transcript from LSAC. Therefore, please also submit an updated transcript with your most recent grades to LSAC. Upon receipt of your transcript, LSAC will automatically send us an updated report.

The admissions process at Penn Law is a deliberative process in the truest sense of the word. Every file is read by numerous members of the Admissions Committee. As of this date, your file has been reviewed by at least two members of the Committee, and we are very impressed with your credentials.

Please do not hesitate to contact me with any question or remark. I sincerely hope to hear from you soon.

Warm Regards,

Renee C. Post
Associate Dean
I think so. It looks like you're above one median and below the other - they probably want to be sure that you're going to stay above the GPA median.

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:50 pm

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:
harveyfan wrote:Penn sent me an email asking for my fall grades. Good sign? UCR2 01/09.
On behalf of the Admissions Committee, I want to thank you for your application to the University of Pennsylvania Law School. Your accomplishments to date are impressive and your evident commitment to our institution is not easily matched.

The Admissions Committee has completed its preliminary review of your application and has requested a copy of your Fall 2012 grades.

We request that you email (contactadmissions@law.upenn.edu) which is the preferred method or fax (215.898.9606) a copy of your transcript reflecting your Fall grades directly to the Office of Admissions once it is available. We must subsequently receive the official transcript from LSAC. Therefore, please also submit an updated transcript with your most recent grades to LSAC. Upon receipt of your transcript, LSAC will automatically send us an updated report.

The admissions process at Penn Law is a deliberative process in the truest sense of the word. Every file is read by numerous members of the Admissions Committee. As of this date, your file has been reviewed by at least two members of the Committee, and we are very impressed with your credentials.

Please do not hesitate to contact me with any question or remark. I sincerely hope to hear from you soon.

Warm Regards,

Renee C. Post
Associate Dean
I think so. It looks like you're above one median and below the other - they probably want to be sure that you're going to stay above the GPA median.
That theory doesn't really make any sense because if he's currently above the GPA median then he could stay there for reporting purposes irrespective of his next set of grades, all they would be doing is jeopardizing that. Perhaps if he were just below where they want the GPA median to be and are hoping he could reach that, they may want his grades.

facile princeps

Bronze

Post by facile princeps » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:52 pm

I received the same email and I've since updated my transcript with LSAC. Still no word from Penn, though. I have no idea where I stand as of now.

gingerbreadsmouse

Bronze

Post by gingerbreadsmouse » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:54 pm

WaitingandHopeful wrote:Held

UCR2 1/15
Same, UCR2 12/17 though

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WalkingPlato

Bronze

Post by WalkingPlato » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:57 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:
LSATSCORES2012 wrote:

Warm Regards,

Renee C. Post
Associate Dean
That theory doesn't really make any sense because if he's currently above the GPA median then he could stay there for reporting purposes irrespective of his next set of grades, all they would be doing is jeopardizing that. Perhaps if he were just below where they want the GPA median to be and are hoping he could reach that, they may want his grades.
Yea I think this is right. I think your GPA is really close to what they're looking for and they want to see if you can get there with the current grades..

facile princeps

Bronze

Post by facile princeps » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:00 pm

WalkingPlato wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote: That theory doesn't really make any sense because if he's currently above the GPA median then he could stay there for reporting purposes irrespective of his next set of grades, all they would be doing is jeopardizing that. Perhaps if he were just below where they want the GPA median to be and are hoping he could reach that, they may want his grades.
Yea I think this is right. I think your GPA is really close to what they're looking for and they want to see if you can get there with the current grades..
Definitely not the case for me. My GPA was above 4.0 when I applied and I received the same email.

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:06 pm

facile princeps wrote:
WalkingPlato wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote: That theory doesn't really make any sense because if he's currently above the GPA median then he could stay there for reporting purposes irrespective of his next set of grades, all they would be doing is jeopardizing that. Perhaps if he were just below where they want the GPA median to be and are hoping he could reach that, they may want his grades.
Definitely not the case for me. My GPA was above 4.0 when I applied and I received the same email.
Or maybe they were actually be holistic haha I know it's hard to believe. Maybe they still had questions because of the courses taken or number of credits or whatever (plus in your case they wouldn't have been risking dropping below median anyways).

housebro13

Bronze

Post by housebro13 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:10 pm

facile princeps wrote:
WalkingPlato wrote:
But I didn't get the email. I'm UR2 1/4 with a 3.93......Wtf is going on lol. Should I be worried?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

facile princeps

Bronze

Post by facile princeps » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:15 pm

housebro13 wrote:
facile princeps wrote:
WalkingPlato wrote:
But I didn't get the email. I'm UR2 1/4 with a 3.93......Wtf is going on lol. Should I be worried?
I have no idea what's going on. I don't think you should be worried, though. For me, I'm guessing they're just waiting to see how their class is filling out before they make a decision (165/URM).

bobr

New

Post by bobr » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:31 pm

In! Call about noonish.

Very excited. Absolutely loved the campus when visited this summer. Good luck to everyone else still waiting!

harveyfan

New

Post by harveyfan » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:22 pm

facile princeps wrote:
facile princeps wrote:
WalkingPlato wrote:
I have no idea what's going on. I don't think you should be worried, though. For me, I'm guessing they're just waiting to see how their class is filling out before they make a decision (165/URM).
Question - if you send an updated transcript to LSAC, do they automatically generate a new report and send it to all the schools or is there something I need to do? I'm sending in an unofficial copy to UPenn now. My GPA went up from a 3.83 to a 3.88 this semester, so with a 169, hopefully, I get in!

Klerris

New

Post by Klerris » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:49 pm

waitlisted today via email

3.0x 176- it was a stretch?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:54 pm

Klerris wrote:waitlisted today via email

3.0x 176- it was a stretch?
god damnit

twinkletoes16

Silver

Post by twinkletoes16 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:07 pm

UR1 as of today.

facile princeps

Bronze

Post by facile princeps » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:11 pm

harveyfan wrote:
Question - if you send an updated transcript to LSAC, do they automatically generate a new report and send it to all the schools
Seems like they will.
If you have a current LSAC Credential Assembly Service file, LSAC will routinely send report updates to law schools to which you have applied at no additional charge

whenever you repeat the LSAT within the same admission year;

when LSAC receives an updated transcript within the same admission year;

when an error in a transcript or its summarization is reported and corrected within the same admission year. A revised official transcript clearly marked as “corrected copy” is necessary to correct transcript errors; and

when LSAC receives an additional letter of recommendation/evaluation within the same admission year up to the limit set by the law school. (Each law school can specify at what point in its admission process it will receive letters/evaluations. Therefore, if you apply to multiple schools, some may receive your letters/evaluations sooner than others.)
Source

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:54 am

bobr wrote:In! Call about noonish.

Very excited. Absolutely loved the campus when visited this summer. Good luck to everyone else still waiting!
Congratulations!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fallingup

Bronze

Post by fallingup » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:21 pm

slack_academic wrote:
jessicayaaay wrote:
slack_academic wrote:Waitlisted today via e-mail. Traditional splitter.

ETA: wrote a "why Penn" but also took a riskier approach with my application there than I did at many schools. Oh well.
Sorry to hear. Would you mind sharing your UR dates? Thanks!
UR1 was around 11/20.
Not sure I had a UR2 but if I did, it was mid-december.
LRGhost wrote:What did you do that was riskier?
Addressed my background, including some C&F issues and personal struggles, in more depth than for some of my other apps. The only other schools I did this for were Chicago, Columbia, and Berkeley, all of which are huge reaches for me. Perhaps ill-advised, but I don't regret it.
i did the same thing, though for berkeley, duke, and stanford, not penn, chicago, or columbia. i do regret it, but i wasn't going to get into stanford anyway. and duke is my undergrad and my logic was that i didn't want to gloss over info that duke law could easily get their hands on anyway. (which isn't to say i was dishonest on any of my other apps - i had my dean review and approve my more limited C&F addendums.) i'm curious to see how it goes.

bluecouch

Bronze

Post by bluecouch » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:31 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:UR1 as of today.
+1 It is nice to finally see some movement!

harveyfan

New

Post by harveyfan » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:41 pm

Thanks for the help facile and worm!

Is there another form I need to print to give my registrar from LSAC?

Sorry for being a newb.

pedestrian

Bronze

Post by pedestrian » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:46 pm

harveyfan wrote:Thanks for the help facile and worm!

Is there another form I need to print to give my registrar from LSAC?

Sorry for being a newb.
You go to your transcripts page at Apply--> Credentials--> Transcripts

Under your degree-granting institution is a "Transcript Request Form"

You will want to check "Updated Copy" and submit it to be included with your transcript.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

drh_104

New

Post by drh_104 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:48 pm

INNN!!!!!!!

(I'm pretty sure haha). Got a call from 215 and they left a message but it is all garbled. I know I heard "Penn" and "congratulations" but I called back and am waiting to hear!

Can't believe this Penn's my first choice!!!!!

jessicayaaay

New

Post by jessicayaaay » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:51 pm

drh_104 wrote:INNN!!!!!!!

(I'm pretty sure haha). Got a call from 215 and they left a message but it is all garbled. I know I heard "Penn" and "congratulations" but I called back and am waiting to hear!

Congrats!! Did you apply ED? What are your #s/UCR dates, if you don't mind my asking?

pedestrian

Bronze

Post by pedestrian » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:51 pm

drh_104 wrote:INNN!!!!!!!

Congratulations!

Odds are certainly in your favor, but heavy dark comic potential weighs against you.

drh_104

New

Post by drh_104 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:53 pm

3.8x

Sent 11/6
UCR1 12/17
UCR2 1/15

One potential reason I may have heard back so quickly after my UCR2 is that I sent a LOCI on that day re-iterating that they are my top choice

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”