Help! GW Scholarship

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mshao3

Help! GW Scholarship

Postby mshao3 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:23 am

I was admitted by GW w/ 5k/yr. Then I got in at BU w/ 10K/yr. I tried to negotiate with GW and they told me to wait for the Scholarship Committee to decide. The next day I got an email saying that my scholarship offer had been modified and that I need to accept it on my Myweb. The system showed 15K/yr. I was truly very happy to accept it. Then I withdrew from BU. Then the next day I got another email telling me to log on Myweb again. I did, the amount was modified back to 5K/yr. I was told by the financial aid office that this was an error...

What should I do? I turned down BU's offer only because GW's system informed me that I would get 15K at GW...
After arguing, they increased 5K/yr to 7K/yr, but I feel at least they should match with BU's 10K.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

FlanSolo

Re: Help! GW Scholarship

Postby FlanSolo » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:33 am

Sue for damages? Is this a Contracts hypo?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:35 am

If you're full debt financing, GW with ever 10k/yr is way too fucking expensive for the mediocre job prospects, so I'd retake.

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:36 am

wow. Do not accept 10k per year. 15K per year or nothing. And maybe don't even go with that depending on your debt level / post-grad. situation

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:39 am

Thats messed up

mshao3

Postby mshao3 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:40 am

rad lulz wrote:If you're full debt financing, GW with ever 10k/yr is way too fucking expensive for the mediocre job prospects, so I'd retake.

Retake isn't an option for me...I can't believe they only make up $2,000 for the stupid mistake. Do you think that I am justified to ask for more?

FlanSolo

Postby FlanSolo » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:40 am

justonemoregame wrote:wow. Do not accept 10k per year. 15K per year or nothing. And maybe don't even go with that depending on your debt level / post-grad. situation

In all seriousness, GW has supposedly been making it rain. The fact that they made a "mistake" is unacceptable - they owe you what they offered you. Did you explain to them that you withdrew from BU because of their better offer?

mshao3

Postby mshao3 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:47 am

FlanSolo wrote:
justonemoregame wrote:wow. Do not accept 10k per year. 15K per year or nothing. And maybe don't even go with that depending on your debt level / post-grad. situation

In all seriousness, GW has supposedly been making it rain. The fact that they made a "mistake" is unacceptable - they owe you what they offered you. Did you explain to them that you withdrew from BU because of their better offer?

I did. The second time I log on Myweb, it shows "web accepted" besides the 5K...however it was 15K when I hit the button web accept...
I don't want this sound too money-oriented. Can someone help me draft another email?

YankeesFan

Postby YankeesFan » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:50 am

That is fucking absurd. Was it a low level admissions person you spoke with who said it was a mistake? If so you need to talk to an administrator (Dear or Assistant Dean) for Admissions and/or Financial Aid to get this figured out.

FlanSolo

Postby FlanSolo » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:56 am

YankeesFan wrote:That is fucking absurd. Was it a low level admissions person you spoke with who said it was a mistake? If so you need to talk to an administrator (Dear or Assistant Dean) for Admissions and/or Financial Aid to get this figured out.

Yep, write the Dean and CC the Assistant Dean and explain that after receiving a better offer from BU, you negotiated with GW. You then received an email notifying you your award was increased. When you logged in, it showed a $15K/year award, which you accepted and which you relied on in withdrawing from BU. Tell them that whether or not they made a mistake is not your problem, and that you expect the situation to be rectified or you will take the issue to the Dean.

The money is probably not worth the fight for them, and they will give it to you. I'm sure whoever you were talking to just didn't want to get in trouble for screwing it up.

mshao3

Postby mshao3 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:59 am

YankeesFan wrote:That is fucking absurd. Was it a low level admissions person you spoke with who said it was a mistake? If so you need to talk to an administrator (Dear or Assistant Dean) for Admissions and/or Financial Aid to get this figured out.

The whole thing was communicated through a "scholarship coordinator". I guess I will email the Dean directly.

Postby 2014 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:17 pm

Even 15k/year for GW is probably too low, is your reason for not retaking that you have already taken it 3 times or that you for whatever reason you think you have no alternative for the year?

I know it isn't what you want to hear but a ton of users on this site sat out a year after they convinced themselves that sitting out was the worst idea, and I have yet to hear anyone regret the decision.

Nammertat

Postby Nammertat » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:59 pm

mshao3 wrote:

The whole thing was communicated through a "scholarship coordinator". I guess I will email the Dean directly.

You need to call and talk with Matt Dillard first thing tomorrow morning. If you're level headed, but persistent you'll have a decent chance of them honoring the initial offer.

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:51 pm

if they are unwilling to honor the 15k, you should e-mail prof campos and shame them publicly for being TTT about it

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:54 pm

emails are easy to ignore. pick up the phone or go see them in person.

Verity

Postby Verity » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:55 pm

If they offer you $7K/year, you can sue for $3K/year damages. Although I think this is a mailbox rule hypo, so they have to stick with the $15K/year offer. Don't let them get away with this bullshit.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:56 pm

Verity wrote:If they offer you $7K/year, you can sue for $3K/year damages. Although I think this is a mailbox rule hypo, so they have to stick with the $15K/year offer. Don't let them get away with this bullshit.

twist: there was no $15k/year offer

Verity

Postby Verity » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:16 pm

fatduck wrote:
Verity wrote:If they offer you $7K/year, you can sue for $3K/year damages. Although I think this is a mailbox rule hypo, so they have to stick with the $15K/year offer. Don't let them get away with this bullshit.

twist: there was no $15k/year offer

Then I say OP should head down to GW's admission office, give everyone back massages, then present them with bills for it, officious intermeddler-style.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”