Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
drosth
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:01 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby drosth » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:54 pm

WhatOurBodiesAreFor wrote:
drosth wrote:Blegh, WL off FR1.

Don't most other law schools expect a reply by April or something? At least before June, right? So does Berk expect us to gamble on them, or is there something I'm missing?

Thanks much!


It's not a matter of Berkeley wanting us to gamble on them. It's just that, because they don't require a deposit from their admitted students, they can't start pulling people off the waitlist until June.

At this time they'll know about how many they can take, because admitted students will have withdrawn already, having paid their deposits at other schools. Last year they also had a policy requiring admitted students to give them a binding commitment if they accept the merit scholarship Boalt awards them. If you look at last year's thread, there were a lot of people pissed that they didn't or hardly got anything, so a lot of people withdrew.

FYI, Last year someone got in off the second quartile in (apparently) the first wave of WL acceptances


Ah, okay, thanks. So can we pay our deposit to hold our seat at another school while waiting for Berk to let us know in June?

mambar
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:11 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby mambar » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:55 pm

FlowBro wrote:Dinged from FR1 with 170/3.8...wow slightly disappointed.

Almost the same stats and the same result :?

shawn11h
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:46 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby shawn11h » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:57 pm

diver88 wrote:also dinged, re-applicant, berkeley undergrad and had an LOR from a boalt professor, no FR, UR since 11/13



Wow. I am also a Berkeley undergrad and have an LOR from a Boalt professor as well. This doesn't give me hope. Sorry about the denial :/

ltezen
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby ltezen » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:02 pm

dinged via email

WhatOurBodiesAreFor
Posts: 369
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:03 pm

drosth wrote:
WhatOurBodiesAreFor wrote:
drosth wrote:Blegh, WL off FR1.

Don't most other law schools expect a reply by April or something? At least before June, right? So does Berk expect us to gamble on them, or is there something I'm missing?

Thanks much!


It's not a matter of Berkeley wanting us to gamble on them. It's just that, because they don't require a deposit from their admitted students, they can't start pulling people off the waitlist until June.

At this time they'll know about how many they can take, because admitted students will have withdrawn already, having paid their deposits at other schools. Last year they also had a policy requiring admitted students to give them a binding commitment if they accept the merit scholarship Boalt awards them. If you look at last year's thread, there were a lot of people pissed that they didn't or hardly got anything, so a lot of people withdrew.

FYI, Last year someone got in off the second quartile in (apparently) the first wave of WL acceptances


Ah, okay, thanks. So can we pay our deposit to hold our seat at another school while waiting for Berk to let us know in June?


That's what I'm doing. Berkeley's my dream.

elee
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:57 am

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby elee » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:05 pm

shntn wrote:
WhiteyCakes wrote:
elee wrote:That was an amazing rejection letter though


No such thing

You be the judge:

After reviewing thoroughly your application for admission to UC Berkeley School of Law, the Admissions Committee has decided, with regret, not to offer you a place in the Class of 2016.

Our decision was not easy. The majority of our applicants are well-qualified to pursue the study of law, and indeed many of them are qualified to pursue that study at Berkeley. But with more than twenty applicants competing for each place in the class, our choices must be highly selective. Although our review process is thorough, it is also human, fallible, and in part subjective.



You are to be congratulated on your accomplishments, and I hope that you will be admitted at other law schools. If Berkeley Law remains your first choice you may wish to consider applying to transfer at the end of your first year at another ABA-approved law school. Transfer applicants are evaluated primarily on their first-year performance, and we offer advanced standing admission to 40-45 students annually from an applicant pool of approximately 250-300 candidates.



I am sorry that this letter must convey disappointing news. We wish you all the best in your applications to other law schools and in your career. Thank you very much for your interest in Berkeley Law and for entrusting us with your application.



Yea I guess there's no such thing as a "good" rejection...

but I at least thought there was some skill in the execution (compared to the amount of effort I'm sure other schools might put in). I think it's a fine example of effective business communication if any of us ever have to deliver bad news

1. It was very clear/firm and defended its decision as being thorough. We can't be angry or feel slighted that they didn't give us a chance (some of us may still feel that) yet, they offer us "it is also human, fallible, and in part subjective". So while the jury deliberated for hours and the verdict was bad, it was still a jury not an infallible sorting hat, and we should not lose confidence in ourselves.

2. They don't leave you hanging, and elaborate on (realistic?) next steps. Yea telling us to go elsewhere or try again next year may feel like a slap in the face but its better than "we're dumping you...peace out!"

I dunno maybe my body's response to this news is to search for a glimpse of sunlight in between the clouds lol...


Chin up everyone I hope everyone gets in at their next choice over Berkeley!

cheymao
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:17 am

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby cheymao » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:06 pm

FR1 WL

lebronjames
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:26 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby lebronjames » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:07 pm

Dinged. 168/3.2, 5 yrs WE, BS Eng, MS in Eng Mgmt, NBA championship.
Okay, everything but the last part.

Also went to CAL for undergrad. This one hurt. Really loved going there.

User avatar
Eichörnchen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Eichörnchen » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:08 pm

My first ding. I'm above both 75ths, but applied kinda late and used my generic 2 pager as a PS. No why Berk or LOCIs. I thought my résumé which makes me look like a giant hippie might make them see past my lukewarm efforts. ;)

User avatar
syr1990
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:49 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby syr1990 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:08 pm

Waitlisted off of FR1. Berkeley's my top choice, I might ride this wait list until the end

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby shntn » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:10 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:My first ding. I'm above both 75ths, but applied kinda late and used my generic 2 pager as a PS. No why Berk or LOCIs. I thought my résumé which makes me look like a giant hippie might make them see past my lukewarm efforts. ;)

*brofist*

User avatar
boblawlob
Posts: 524
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby boblawlob » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:11 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:My first ding. I'm above both 75ths, but applied kinda late and used my generic 2 pager as a PS. No why Berk or LOCIs. I thought my résumé which makes me look like a giant hippie might make them see past my lukewarm efforts. ;)

When did you submit your app?

User avatar
Eichörnchen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Eichörnchen » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:22 pm

boblawlob wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:My first ding. I'm above both 75ths, but applied kinda late and used my generic 2 pager as a PS. No why Berk or LOCIs. I thought my résumé which makes me look like a giant hippie might make them see past my lukewarm efforts. ;)

When did you submit your app?

I think it was around December first, so maybe just late in comparison to my other apps. I languished for a while because I didn't want to send my generic PS because I thought that would be an obvious "I can't even be bothered to write another page or two because I can't see myself moving to CA unless it's for your hot neighbor SLS". I also thought a PS about the fact that I lived out of my van and traveled/interned on an organic farm might be more up Berkeley's alley. :lol: Turns out I couldn't be bothered, and now I can see that they can't either.

It wasn't meant to be.

shntn wrote:*brofist*

Thank you
*mannish half hug/backslap*

User avatar
99.9luft
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby 99.9luft » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:23 pm

lebronjames wrote:Dinged. 168/3.2, 5 yrs WE, BS Eng, MS in Eng Mgmt, NBA championship.
Okay, everything but the last part.

Also went to CAL for undergrad. This one hurt. Really loved going there.


sorry to hear, man. i will soon know exactly how you feel...I'm also waiting for Cal's hurtful alma mater ding.

User avatar
99.9luft
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby 99.9luft » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:24 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:My first ding. I'm above both 75ths, but applied kinda late and used my generic 2 pager as a PS. No why Berk or LOCIs. I thought my résumé which makes me look like a giant hippie might make them see past my lukewarm efforts. ;)


Eich, no worries, you're going places this cycle!

User avatar
applemaroon
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby applemaroon » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:27 pm

.
Last edited by applemaroon on Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
boblawlob
Posts: 524
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby boblawlob » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:33 pm

applemaroon wrote:dinged!

Apple! You're getting into T6! Berkeley will rue the day!

User avatar
Eichörnchen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Eichörnchen » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:38 pm

99.9luft wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:My first ding. I'm above both 75ths, but applied kinda late and used my generic 2 pager as a PS. No why Berk or LOCIs. I thought my résumé which makes me look like a giant hippie might make them see past my lukewarm efforts. ;)


Eich, no worries, you're going places this cycle!

99! I've missedyour tar you! Thanks man. I just got my ratified lease for a place in VA this morning so I'm not too bummed despite Berk being a really awesome school. My SLS rejection will certainly smart though.

User avatar
abcde12345
Posts: 255
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:41 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby abcde12345 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:42 pm

Ding. 173/4.
Last edited by abcde12345 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
VeeD101
Posts: 333
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:49 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby VeeD101 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:42 pm

abcde12345 wrote:Ding. 173/4


Woah. That's crazy. I'm sorry :(

User avatar
abcde12345
Posts: 255
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:41 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby abcde12345 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:44 pm

VeeD101 wrote:
abcde12345 wrote:Ding. 173/4


Woah. That's crazy. I'm sorry :(


Haha thanks. I'm having a terrible cycle. I think it's because of lack of WE/internship experience. I've pretty much been bracing myself for the inevitable the past few weeks.

User avatar
99.9luft
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby 99.9luft » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:50 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:
99.9luft wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:My first ding. I'm above both 75ths, but applied kinda late and used my generic 2 pager as a PS. No why Berk or LOCIs. I thought my résumé which makes me look like a giant hippie might make them see past my lukewarm efforts. ;)


Eich, no worries, you're going places this cycle!

99! I've missedyour tar you! Thanks man. I just got my ratified lease for a place in VA this morning so I'm not too bummed despite Berk being a really awesome school. My SLS rejection will certainly smart though.


:)

*'tar blushing* well, I've missed your .GIFted poasts. Congrats on the lease, Eich. Wait so you're thinking UVA or what?

User avatar
VeeD101
Posts: 333
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:49 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby VeeD101 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:52 pm

abcde12345 wrote:
VeeD101 wrote:
abcde12345 wrote:Ding. 173/4


Woah. That's crazy. I'm sorry :(


Haha thanks. I'm having a terrible cycle. I think it's because of lack of WE/internship experience. I've pretty much been bracing myself for the inevitable the past few weeks.


That sucks. Good Luck, I'm sure things will turn around in the next 2-3 weeks.

User avatar
abcde12345
Posts: 255
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:41 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby abcde12345 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:52 pm

VeeD101 wrote:That sucks. Good Luck, I'm sure things will turn around in the next 2-3 weeks.


I certainly hope so. Good luck to you too :)

diver88
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:38 am

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby diver88 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:02 pm

shawn11h wrote:
diver88 wrote:also dinged, re-applicant, berkeley undergrad and had an LOR from a boalt professor, no FR, UR since 11/13



Wow. I am also a Berkeley undergrad and have an LOR from a Boalt professor as well. This doesn't give me hope. Sorry about the denial :/



yeah no love for us golden bears today. good luck at vandy/wherever else you might go!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful, Aquinas, Automotomayor, brinicolec, elcamino4, Google Adsense [Bot], hwwong, Keilz, mccracal, tinafeyclone, Yitzhak26 and 21 guests