Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
porch
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:43 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby porch » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:54 pm

And now the email for faculty review

User avatar
Rory19
Posts: 299
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:14 am

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Rory19 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:55 pm

venus wrote:
FallingHigher wrote:
risa wrote:Someone remind me of the scary percentage of apps that get in off FR? I know I read it somewhere. And is that a "stat" Berkeley gave at some point or just wild speculation?


I think, according to an interview with Dean Tom its like 1 in 8 get in off faculty review.

And FR1... Well i think this may be the end of the road for us...

Is their overall acceptance rate much higher? 1 in 8 doesn't sound too bad I think. Unless I guess some people don't make it to FR. Sorry, not too familiar with Berkeley's admissions process but was curious.


Roughly 5,000 apply and 1400-1600 of those are sent to FR. Around 500 are accepted without a FR.

lampshade0520
Posts: 78
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:57 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby lampshade0520 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:56 pm

porch wrote:And now the email for faculty review



faculty review for me too! has anyone reached a consensus on whether this is good or bad? i've creeped this forum for a bit and i think it's really up in the air - could be good or bad news, right?

** edit: just read the above. yikes
Last edited by lampshade0520 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amonthofsundays
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:36 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby amonthofsundays » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:56 pm

Rory19 wrote:
venus wrote:
FallingHigher wrote:
risa wrote:Someone remind me of the scary percentage of apps that get in off FR? I know I read it somewhere. And is that a "stat" Berkeley gave at some point or just wild speculation?


I think, according to an interview with Dean Tom its like 1 in 8 get in off faculty review.

And FR1... Well i think this may be the end of the road for us...

Is their overall acceptance rate much higher? 1 in 8 doesn't sound too bad I think. Unless I guess some people don't make it to FR. Sorry, not too familiar with Berkeley's admissions process but was curious.


Roughly 5,000 apply and 1400-1600 of those are sent to FR. Around 500 are accepted without a FR.


Those odds seem decent. ABA report says they made 920 offers.

User avatar
Rory19
Posts: 299
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:14 am

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Rory19 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:56 pm

How late into the evening should we anticipate FR1 calls going?

WhatOurBodiesAreFor
Posts: 369
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:58 pm

venus wrote:
FallingHigher wrote:
risa wrote:Someone remind me of the scary percentage of apps that get in off FR? I know I read it somewhere. And is that a "stat" Berkeley gave at some point or just wild speculation?


I think, according to an interview with Dean Tom its like 1 in 8 get in off faculty review.

And FR1... Well i think this may be the end of the road for us...

Is their overall acceptance rate much higher? 1 in 8 doesn't sound too bad I think. Unless I guess some people don't make it to FR. Sorry, not too familiar with Berkeley's admissions process but was curious.


TLS will say there's no good way to predict your chances, that it's like a lottery. Think about it, they've already rejected the worst candidates and accepted the best, and now you're in the pool of "maybe" applicants. Worse, TLS will also say numbers matter significantly less.

In sum, if you've done everything right in your application and your softs are above average, you probably have a better chance of getting in off FR. But be careful to put your chances too high, you can't really predict what they're looking for in you.

User avatar
Rory19
Posts: 299
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:14 am

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Rory19 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:59 pm

I think that ABA figure may be high. This is the stats I was referring to:
"Dean Tom: “Yeah. But it’s structured this way because I know what I’m looking for. And, if my staff finds an applicant whom they want to admit, they have to bring the file to me for a final review. Concurrent to this review process we also identify about 1400 to 1600 other applications that are very competitive, and these we send to our faculty admissions committee, comprised of 6 faculty and 12 students. Students serve in an advising capacity on the committee. I admit roughly 550 people through what I call the administrative review process, and the admissions committee (the faculty committee) admits about another 200 or so. So, we end up admitting about 700 to 750 people. The admissions committee also structures a waiting list, and then everyone else is denied, either administratively or by the Committee.

This year for example, we received approximately 7100 applications. We admitted roughly 750, and we’re going to enroll a class of about 270. The applications go up and down a little bit from year to year, but in terms of admission, the number of people we offer admission to, and the size of the class, that’s about the same.”
http://www.top-law-schools.com/tom-interview.html

amonthofsundays
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:36 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby amonthofsundays » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:03 pm

Rory19 wrote:I think that ABA figure may be high. This is the stats I was referring to:
"Dean Tom: “Yeah. But it’s structured this way because I know what I’m looking for. And, if my staff finds an applicant whom they want to admit, they have to bring the file to me for a final review. Concurrent to this review process we also identify about 1400 to 1600 other applications that are very competitive, and these we send to our faculty admissions committee, comprised of 6 faculty and 12 students. Students serve in an advising capacity on the committee. I admit roughly 550 people through what I call the administrative review process, and the admissions committee (the faculty committee) admits about another 200 or so. So, we end up admitting about 700 to 750 people. The admissions committee also structures a waiting list, and then everyone else is denied, either administratively or by the Committee.

This year for example, we received approximately 7100 applications. We admitted roughly 750, and we’re going to enroll a class of about 270. The applications go up and down a little bit from year to year, but in terms of admission, the number of people we offer admission to, and the size of the class, that’s about the same.”
http://www.top-law-schools.com/tom-interview.html


Hopefully they have had to pad their yield a bit since 2009. *wishful thinking*

User avatar
mac35352
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:17 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby mac35352 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:08 pm

Now I'm even more confused. I thought that if I didn't get FR I was done. UR 1/25.

sonny
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:17 am

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby sonny » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:28 pm

Great. No FR today.

UR 11/13 w/no movement. Any URs left? Is this the rejection or waitlist train?

marcelo09
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:52 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby marcelo09 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:30 pm

sonny wrote:Great. No FR today.

UR 11/13 w/no movement. Any URs left? Is this the rejection or waitlist train?


I'm still at UR no movement from 12/5 :/

User avatar
uconjak
Posts: 357
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:20 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby uconjak » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:30 pm

sonny wrote:Great. No FR today.

UR 11/13 w/no movement. Any URs left? Is this the rejection or waitlist train?



I am still UR since early Jan.. I sit here in quiet desperation

FlowBro
Posts: 334
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby FlowBro » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:51 pm

Welp, is it time for us FR1's to say "it has been a good run" and move on with our lives?

Chances of acceptance seem dismal after being passed over in this afternoon's wave of acceptances.

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby shntn » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:53 pm

FlowBro wrote:Welp, is it time for us FR1's to say "it has been a good run" and move on with our lives?

Chances of acceptance seem dismal after being passed over in this afternoon's wave of acceptances.

Yeah LOLno, I'm assuming it's looking like a WL for me in the absolute best case scenario.

It's been really unnecessarily lengthy and excruciating, Berk.

User avatar
06102016
Posts: 13466
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:29 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby 06102016 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:56 pm

..

User avatar
ManOfTheMinute
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 am

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:02 pm

We have the March 8th decision date, what was the decision date for FR1? (I know I should just search the thread but I'm tired from trying to plan v-day shit)

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby shntn » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:02 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:We have the March 8th decision date, what was the decision date for FR1? (I know I should just search the thread but I'm tired from trying to plan v-day shit)

On or around tomorrow, per the e-mail.

User avatar
Rory19
Posts: 299
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:14 am

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Rory19 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:09 pm

FlowBro wrote:Welp, is it time for us FR1's to say "it has been a good run" and move on with our lives?

Chances of acceptance seem dismal after being passed over in this afternoon's wave of acceptances.


I may still be optimistic that Dean Tom got tired of making callas today and there are a batch of acceptances to be e-mailed tomorrow. I have seen that type of activity on twitter before--something along the lines of too busy for calls e-mail acceptances going out this week.

WhatOurBodiesAreFor
Posts: 369
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:23 pm

If 20% of T14 admits actively post on TLS, that would mean at least 40 people should post on here that they've received the acceptance call off of FR. So far I'm counting ~20.

These are very imprecise and speculative numbers here, but it does seem that there are some more FR acceptances to be had.

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby shntn » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:24 pm

WhatOurBodiesAreFor wrote:If 20% of T14 admits actively post on TLS, that would mean at least 40 people should post on here that they've received the acceptance call off of FR. So far I'm counting ~20.

These are very imprecise and speculative numbers here, but it does seem that there are some more FR acceptances to be had.

Stop it. Hope is poison.

User avatar
eav1277
Posts: 375
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:58 am

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby eav1277 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:30 pm

So does it seem that FR1 has no hope at this point? Or maybe calls tomorrow?

Would a last minute update letter do any good(if there are actually some new developments)? Or no point now?

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby shntn » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:32 pm

eav1277 wrote:So does it seem that FR1 has no hope at this point? Or maybe calls tomorrow?

Would a last minute update letter do any good(if there are actually some new developments)? Or no point now?

I somehow doubt they haven't already decided for all of us and are just going to sleep on it.

User avatar
b123
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:32 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby b123 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:45 pm

sonny wrote:Great. No FR today.

UR 11/13 w/no movement. Any URs left? Is this the rejection or waitlist train?


11/25 :(

User avatar
ManOfTheMinute
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 am

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:48 pm

shntn wrote:
eav1277 wrote:So does it seem that FR1 has no hope at this point? Or maybe calls tomorrow?

Would a last minute update letter do any good(if there are actually some new developments)? Or no point now?

I somehow doubt they haven't already decided for all of us and are just going to sleep on it.


They could be holding over a handful depending on how they respond to FR2's applicants

User avatar
eav1277
Posts: 375
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:58 am

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby eav1277 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:04 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
shntn wrote:
eav1277 wrote:So does it seem that FR1 has no hope at this point? Or maybe calls tomorrow?

Would a last minute update letter do any good(if there are actually some new developments)? Or no point now?

I somehow doubt they haven't already decided for all of us and are just going to sleep on it.


They could be holding over a handful depending on how they respond to FR2's applicants


Thanks for the input. I have been checking my email and status checker all day. I had a two hour seminar class where the professor is super antiphones so I couldn't check/have my phone on.

This is waiting is stressing me out :((




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful, Assasindowntheavenue, Bing [Bot], Ferrisjso, Jellypyoo, potterotter, Yahoo [Bot] and 36 guests