Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby 04102014 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:44 am

I've found that the admissions office doesn't usually reply to emails unless you ask them a question/ask them to do something specific. So, for example, if you just send a LOCI, no response. If you send a LOCI asking them to add it to your file, they will respond.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:52 am

What's all this LOCI stuff? No one has been waitlisted yet. Of course you are still continually interested, you haven't withdrawn yet. As long as you don't Worm out on them they know you still want to be considered. I would save LOCIs for waitlists and waitlists only.

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:57 am

BigZuck wrote:What's all this LOCI stuff? No one has been waitlisted yet. Of course you are still continually interested, you haven't withdrawn yet. As long as you don't Worm out on them they know you still want to be considered. I would save LOCIs for waitlists and waitlists only.

This! I have been thinking that ever since people started posting about it. Chill out folks!

Postby 04102014 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:44 am

Does anyone ever wish they could just straight up beg a school to let them in? Obviously not an effective strategy, but still.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:22 pm

ohpobrecito wrote:Does anyone ever wish they could just straight up beg a school to let them in? Obviously not an effective strategy, but still.

What do you think my PS is... its one, drawn out, grovelling beg for pity

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:28 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
ohpobrecito wrote:Does anyone ever wish they could just straight up beg a school to let them in? Obviously not an effective strategy, but still.

I thought you got in to Stanford?

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:30 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:

Then you, sir, put George Costanza to shame with that S acceptance. Truly a master.

Postby 04102014 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:33 pm

mrizza wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote:

Then you, sir, put George Costanza to shame with that S acceptance. Truly a master.

The things I would do for a Stanford acceptance are so classless I can't even post them anonymously on the internet.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:36 pm

ohpobrecito wrote:
mrizza wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote:

The things I would do for a Stanford acceptance are so classless I can't even post them anonymously on the internet.

+1
I'll just say everything George has done in Seinfeld, plus everything Larry has done in Curb are all on the table.

curious66

Postby curious66 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:39 pm

djwjddl wrote:just to be safe, though, i'd ask UVA for an extension

Except that UVA probably has no incentive to do so.. they are giving out tons of $$ to folks this year and trying to get a lock early (April 4th) to get their class finalized. Personally, I think it is the other schools (not just Berkeley although this is the Berkeley thread) that are going to lose out on some great candidates to UVA and others because of the delays.

BitterSplitter

Postby BitterSplitter » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:23 pm

Last edited by BitterSplitter on Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

risa

Postby risa » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:01 pm

LSN doesn't show a single admit since two weeks ago on 1/22/13 (except one futuristic 2/20/13 admit) ... maybe they'll throw another Tuesday afternoon bone at us?

JamesDean1955

Postby JamesDean1955 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:20 pm

Has anyone gone through Berkeley's matching scholarship process? If so, did you email or call, what was the result, and how long did it take?

Much appreciated, thanks! :)

Audeamus

Postby Audeamus » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:01 pm

risa wrote:LSN doesn't show a single admit since two weeks ago on 1/22/13 (except one futuristic 2/20/13 admit) ... maybe they'll throw another Tuesday afternoon bone at us?

Have acceptance calls ever come after 8pm pst that we know of?

az21833

Postby az21833 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:42 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:Has anyone gone through Berkeley's matching scholarship process? If so, did you email or call, what was the result, and how long did it take?

You can't call. There's a form through asw you fill out and submit. Do this asap with UVA offers. Has anybody heard back? Is it dependent on need based?

wbrother

Postby wbrother » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:13 am

Currently under FR. I recently appeared in my school's newspaper and in University Relations (Staff/Facult/Alumni newsletter that's also featured on school website homepage) for two different Extracurricular groups I'm involved with. Both of the groups appeared on my resume, but I guess the publicity legitimizes them and my role in them?

Send a LOCI with links, or wait until I'm WL'd. I already sent a LOCI sometime last month.

texas1990

Postby texas1990 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:24 am

wbrother wrote:Currently under FR. I recently appeared in my school's newspaper and in University Relations (Staff/Facult/Alumni newsletter that's also featured on school website homepage) for two different Extracurricular groups I'm involved with. Both of the groups appeared on my resume, but I guess the publicity legitimizes them and my role in them?

Send a LOCI with links, or wait until I'm WL'd. I already sent a LOCI sometime last month.

dude, you guys submitting LOCIs before waitlists even come out are being a little ridiculous. Not tryin to be rude, but after speaking to a family friend who is an ad comm member at a t20 school, unnecessary LOCIs end up being more of an annoyance to read than anything else. Committees will make a decision based really on the application you initially sent it (barring test scores, GPA changes, etc.). Sending an LOCI just makes them feel like you're not confident in your initial application.

that being said: if you've already sent an LOCI, please jesus don't send another one for your own sake.

may the odds ever be in your favor.

WhatOurBodiesAreFor

Postby WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:42 am

texas1990 wrote:
wbrother wrote:Currently under FR. I recently appeared in my school's newspaper and in University Relations (Staff/Facult/Alumni newsletter that's also featured on school website homepage) for two different Extracurricular groups I'm involved with. Both of the groups appeared on my resume, but I guess the publicity legitimizes them and my role in them?

dude, you guys submitting LOCIs before waitlists even come out are being a little ridiculous. Not tryin to be rude, but after speaking to a family friend who is an ad comm member at a t20 school, unnecessary LOCIs end up being more of an annoyance to read than anything else. Committees will make a decision based really on the application you initially sent it (barring test scores, GPA changes, etc.). Sending an LOCI just makes them feel like you're not confident in your initial application.

that being said: if you've already sent an LOCI, please jesus don't send another one for your own sake.

may the odds ever be in your favor.

Just no. You're giving the guy the right advice but you are communicating this horribly.

wbrother, don't send the LOCI. You send LOCIs like once every few months or when something significant happens (your circumstances are not significant). Just use your common sense and, most importantly, put yourself in their shoes. If it still sounds like a good idea, then do it.

But this:

Sending an LOCI just makes them feel like you're not confident in your initial application.

is wrong. LOCIs can greatly help your application and certainly do not only show a lack of confidence. I sent an update to Michigan when I get the "sorry we're taking so long" email and it almost certainly helped me get accepted. I was not waitlisted, nor had it even been over three months since I submitted. But they contacted me regarding my app and I had something significant to say. It made sense and I can guarantee it didn't hurt me.

Anyway, to your specific case, the reason you gave does not warrant another LOCI. Sit on your app as is and hope for the best. If you get waitlisted, then maybe you should include the piece you mentioned, but only then.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:15 am

LOCIs work in situations like with Boalt, where different people are now viewing applications (FR instead of Dean Tom). 0L advice is not good. Don't care if you know someone on an admissions committee.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:59 am

Bodies, do you have actual evidence that your LOCI helped you get accepted? Like, did Dean Z tell you or something. I get that you submitted on and got in, but why does that signal that it definitely helped? Correlation does not necessarily mean causation.

Kronk- evidence for your assertion. He offered up an anecdote and your response essentially boils down to "lolno." I am amenable to what you are saying but you need to do better than "no he's wrong and I am right." Again, provide evidence.

WhatOurBodiesAreFor

Postby WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:39 am

BigZuck wrote:Bodies, do you have actual evidence that your LOCI helped you get accepted? Like, did Dean Z tell you or something. I get that you submitted on and got in, but why does that signal that it definitely helped? Correlation does not necessarily mean causation.

Really? Thank you for pointing this out. Don't mean to be a cunt, but let's not assume everyone is an idiot.

My main piece of evidence is that she referenced my update in the personalized note. Also, there is only one person with similar numbers who has gotten in so far; everyone else seems bound for WL/ding. What speaks clearly to this issue of the LOCI is that this other applicant was accepted outright back in December after submitting in early November or something. I was accepted a few weeks after sending them an update.

But I'm also just using common sense. If you have something to add and you are genuinely interested in attending the school, the readers will no doubt want to read this. While they are probably sick of reading apps at this point, that doesn't mean providing them something else to read will automatically hurt you.

Now, I will admit that I can't get into the minds of the readers. I'll also admit that there's a time and place for an LOCI and that you can certainly mess up a LOCI. But the case for a concise, no-bullshit update every once in a while is strong.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:57 am

WhatOurBodiesAreFor wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Bodies, do you have actual evidence that your LOCI helped you get accepted? Like, did Dean Z tell you or something. I get that you submitted on and got in, but why does that signal that it definitely helped? Correlation does not necessarily mean causation.

Really? Thank you for pointing this out. Don't mean to be a cunt, but let's not assume everyone is an idiot.

My main piece of evidence is that she referenced my update in the personalized note. Also, there is only one person with similar numbers who has gotten in so far; everyone else seems bound for WL/ding. What speaks clearly to this issue of the LOCI is that this other applicant was accepted outright back in December after submitting in early November or something. I was accepted a few weeks after sending them an update.

But I'm also just using common sense. If you have something to add and you are genuinely interested in attending the school, the readers will no doubt want to read this. While they are probably sick of reading apps at this point, that doesn't mean providing them something else to read will automatically hurt you.

Now, I will admit that I can't get into the minds of the readers. I'll also admit that there's a time and place for an LOCI and that you can certainly mess up a LOCI. But the case for a concise, no-bullshit update every once in a while is strong.

Chill out brobro. I was asking for something concrete which you didn't provide in your long response initially. Instead you provided something that seemed like it was based on potentially faulty logic. Now you are saying something concrete. That is helpful and thank you for that.

Maybe now you can help us other Forgotten and share what is an example of a useful thing to include in a LOCI. What can a working stiff who has no fancy new grades or accomplishments do if they have already professed their love in a "Why X" statement? Anything?

WhatOurBodiesAreFor

Postby WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:19 pm

BigZuck wrote:
WhatOurBodiesAreFor wrote:

Chill out brobro. I was asking for something concrete which you didn't provide in your long response initially. Instead you provided something that seemed like it was based on potentially faulty logic. Now you are saying something concrete. That is helpful and thank you for that.

Maybe now you can help us other Forgotten and share what is an example of a useful thing to include in a LOCI. What can a working stiff who has no fancy new grades or accomplishments do if they have already professed their love in a "Why X" statement? Anything?

Your response was a little chotchy, that's all.

In regards to your question, well, first you should keep in mind that I haven't truly reached beyond my numbers yet and I haven't had any adcomm member tell me all of this. I have just applied for a lot of different positions and watched and heard from people who read applications. From this and TLS I base my opinion, so take this as you may.

In your case, I would say send in a brief LOCI if you get WL'd. And because you don't really have much to add, I would make it very concise and I would probably wait until they say they start evaluating WLers again before you send it. It is true, if you don't have anything to add, why send in something all the time to reiterate the same thing?

Now, in cases like mine, I truly think two different updates are warranted. I submitted in early November, at which point I didn't know what I would be doing until the fall. But in January, when I received the email from Berkeley, I did and this position definitely helps my application. So, I sent this information along with a few brief words right before we went under FR. If I get WL'd, I'll send them another update in like March or something, telling them how psyched I'd be to attend their school, maybe update my contact info, and tell them a little about my job - like three paragraphs, and I'll feel great about it.

I should add that I did not send any Why X's, so it gives me a little more to talk about in an LOCI.

In general, I agree with the sentiment here against sending updates all the time, it's just that there are plenty of cases where sending updates makes sense.

Audeamus

Postby Audeamus » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:29 pm

I strongly advise you not to send a second LOCI. BigZuck was spot on with his assessment. There is a point when LOCIs become an annoyance. It seems like you have a solid application and have expressed your interest clearly. In my opinion, professional etiquette dictates that you ride it out for now.

JamesDean1955

Postby JamesDean1955 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:59 pm

az21833 wrote:
JamesDean1955 wrote:Has anyone gone through Berkeley's matching scholarship process? If so, did you email or call, what was the result, and how long did it take?

You can't call. There's a form through asw you fill out and submit. Do this asap with UVA offers. Has anybody heard back? Is it dependent on need based?

Bumping this...so...no one has heard back yet? Anyone waiting on a response for the matching scholarship?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”