Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
megagnarley
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:58 am

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby megagnarley » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:53 pm

Wormfather wrote:
WhiskeynCoke wrote:
Yep, that's exactly how my PS about not starting starting college until i was in my late twenties because I had to help out with my family came across. Perhaps it was my DS about how my being AA doesnt mean that I have some sort of monopoly on struggle and hardship...

Guess I'll never know.


Any ties to California? Did you tailor your PS to Berkeley? I feel like Berkeley wants to know why you specifically like them. They're touchy-feely like that. Their admissions process is largely a big question mark (*holistic*), but evidence certainly suggests that numbers don't even come close to being predictive of results. I doubt you were YP'd based on your numbers. If anything, they might've found you unlikely to attend for other reasons. Based on your unwillingness to tolerate faculty review whatsoever, I'd say they were right.

You're already having an awesome cycle, I bet you get some serious T6 money. Come on, you didn't want Berkeley anyway.



You're right, I just didnt like being called entitled. I'm not entitled to be free from being called entitled, but I am entitled to feel some displeasure at being called such.


I'll stay neutral but when you're in a thread where people are dying to even get FR and you start saying how you are incredulous at the fact that they would FR you I mean....you can't expect people to take too kindly to that...

ETA: I know it was probably unintentional. These are just testy times, and people mince words when they're anxious.

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Cobretti » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:56 pm

Worm, you were probably YP because you sent in a 2 page ps. The 4 pager acts as a why Berkeley. But anyway I've seen you drinking scotch and smoking fine cigars, so clearly you are an entitled snob 8)

User avatar
gingerbreadsmouse
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:51 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby gingerbreadsmouse » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:58 pm

Wormfather wrote:
mrizza wrote:Worm, you were probably YP because you sent in a 2 page ps. The 4 pager acts as a why Berkeley. But anyway I've seen you drinking scotch and smoking fine cigars, so clearly you are an entitled snob 8)


Probably right.


Scotch can't be THAT snobby ::cries::

User avatar
cwid1391
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:41 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby cwid1391 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:02 pm

mrizza wrote:Worm, you were probably YP because you sent in a 2 page ps. The 4 pager acts as a why Berkeley. But anyway I've seen you drinking scotch and smoking fine cigars, so clearly you are an entitled snob 8)


My PS was a 2-pager only kind of tailored to Berkeley. But I also wrote a Why Berk too, so that might have helped. Nevertheless, I don't think page count is a definitely plus or minus.

User avatar
iMisto
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby iMisto » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:03 pm

Does everybody who isn't selected by the dean get FR?

User avatar
mac35352
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:17 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby mac35352 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:05 pm

I came to this thread yesterday and I walked into an alternate universe. Is there a regular review and then a faculty review? I submitted on the 18, went complete on the 22 and got an under review email today. Now I wait for a ding or a faculty review email? Is that the drill? I wish all schools were as efficient. It took me almost a month to go complete at other schools.
Anyways, with my numbers the school is a dream but I'm OK dreaming. Considering it only cost me 21$.

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Cobretti » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:06 pm

cwid1391 wrote:
mrizza wrote:Worm, you were probably YP because you sent in a 2 page ps. The 4 pager acts as a why Berkeley. But anyway I've seen you drinking scotch and smoking fine cigars, so clearly you are an entitled snob 8)


My PS was a 2-pager only kind of tailored to Berkeley. But I also wrote a Why Berk too, so that might have helped. Nevertheless, I don't think page count is a definitely plus or minus.

On my phone so can't find the link... But the dean has been very explicit about wanting more than the standard 2 pager. With how black box they are, I'd imagine it has some positive impact (probably small though)

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby JayJones78 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:07 pm

iMisto wrote:Does everybody who isn't selected by the dean get FR?


I'm wondering something else: do everyone "processed successfully" to UR or do some get dinged from complete?

User avatar
wert3813
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby wert3813 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:09 pm

mrizza wrote:
cwid1391 wrote:
mrizza wrote:Worm, you were probably YP because you sent in a 2 page ps. The 4 pager acts as a why Berkeley. But anyway I've seen you drinking scotch and smoking fine cigars, so clearly you are an entitled snob 8)


My PS was a 2-pager only kind of tailored to Berkeley. But I also wrote a Why Berk too, so that might have helped. Nevertheless, I don't think page count is a definitely plus or minus.

On my phone so can't find the link... But the dean has been very explicit about wanting more than the standard 2 pager. With how black box they are, I'd imagine it has some positive impact (probably small though)


In the profile on this site the dean says he thinks students "miss an opportunity" if they don't.

But I submitted a 2 and a quarter pages (it was the exact same as my other ones) no why Berkeley and got in.

User avatar
ManOfTheMinute
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 am

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:12 pm

mrizza wrote:
ValerOn1820 wrote:
nba101790 wrote:Strange, my status checker has said UR since 1/15 but I just got an email stating that I'm now under review.

the same situation. Under review 1/15 and just got an email: thank you for submitting an application to the U.C. Berkeley School of Law (Boalt Hall). We write to inform you that it was processed successfully and is now under review.

Me too, status checker still says the 15th too


+1

Also, for the record, I share in worm's amazement

User avatar
99.9luft
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby 99.9luft » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:39 pm

sent on 1/11, UR as of 1/25

User avatar
jselson
Posts: 6337
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:51 am

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby jselson » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:25 pm

wert3813 wrote:
mrizza wrote:
cwid1391 wrote:
mrizza wrote:Worm, you were probably YP because you sent in a 2 page ps. The 4 pager acts as a why Berkeley. But anyway I've seen you drinking scotch and smoking fine cigars, so clearly you are an entitled snob 8)


My PS was a 2-pager only kind of tailored to Berkeley. But I also wrote a Why Berk too, so that might have helped. Nevertheless, I don't think page count is a definitely plus or minus.

On my phone so can't find the link... But the dean has been very explicit about wanting more than the standard 2 pager. With how black box they are, I'd imagine it has some positive impact (probably small though)


In the profile on this site the dean says he thinks students "miss an opportunity" if they don't.

But I submitted a 2 and a quarter pages (it was the exact same as my other ones) no why Berkeley and got in.


Very similar here, same exact 2-page, 11-font PS as everywhere else and no Why Berk? and got in. I thought there was a chance of being YP'd, but I've also attended both Grad and UG in California, so I thought that might've been an influence.

User avatar
djwjddl
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:50 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby djwjddl » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:35 pm

FWIW...Wrote 2 page 11 point font PS that was not tailored to Berkeley. No why berkeley either. Not an auto admit either.

User avatar
Audeamus
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:28 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Audeamus » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:40 pm

Does anyone know when WLs/dings are typically sent out and/or when acceptance calls are typically made? Also, have acceptance calls ever been made after 5pm PST? Thanks :D

User avatar
ManOfTheMinute
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 am

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:45 pm

Audeamus wrote:Does anyone know when WLs/dings are typically sent out and/or when acceptance calls are typically made? Also, have acceptance calls ever been made after 5pm PST? Thanks :D


Not sure about Cal, but I heard of some east coast school calling as late as 8pm

User avatar
teiswei
Posts: 695
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:50 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby teiswei » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:48 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
Audeamus wrote:Does anyone know when WLs/dings are typically sent out and/or when acceptance calls are typically made? Also, have acceptance calls ever been made after 5pm PST? Thanks :D


Not sure about Cal, but I heard of some east coast school calling as late as 8pm

Or 5pm PST? Hahaha :D

User avatar
cwid1391
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:41 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby cwid1391 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:56 pm

Was there some speculation earlier today that a wave of dings were coming out at 5PST?

User avatar
ManOfTheMinute
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 am

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:04 pm

cwid1391 wrote:Was there some speculation earlier today that a wave of dings were coming out at 5PST?


Indeed there was...

Image

elblufer
Posts: 245
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:53 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby elblufer » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:06 pm

Another day without a decision. Come on Berkeley, let me in!!! You know you want me. Oh, and let the rest of TLS in, too, of course.

gonnaknow
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:30 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby gonnaknow » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:23 pm

mrizza wrote:
ValerOn1820 wrote:
nba101790 wrote:Strange, my status checker has said UR since 1/15 but I just got an email stating that I'm now under review.

the same situation. Under review 1/15 and just got an email: thank you for submitting an application to the U.C. Berkeley School of Law (Boalt Hall). We write to inform you that it was processed successfully and is now under review.

Me too, status checker still says the 15th too

Me too.

lijun
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:06 am

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby lijun » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:58 am

gonnaknow wrote:
mrizza wrote:
ValerOn1820 wrote:
nba101790 wrote:Strange, my status checker has said UR since 1/15 but I just got an email stating that I'm now under review.

the same situation. Under review 1/15 and just got an email: thank you for submitting an application to the U.C. Berkeley School of Law (Boalt Hall). We write to inform you that it was processed successfully and is now under review.

Me too, status checker still says the 15th too

Me too.


+1

az21833
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby az21833 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:56 pm

hey i was admitted on 1/22. should i be expecting anything in the snail mail or is it all through their admitted students website?

User avatar
LSATSCORES2012
Posts: 770
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:12 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:56 pm

az21833 wrote:hey i was admitted on 1/22. should i be expecting anything in the snail mail or is it all through their admitted students website?

Congrats, they send an admit package. I got mine about 10 days after the email.

az21833
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby az21833 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:05 pm

thanks! has anybody submitted a uva/umich/nu offer for matching yet or is TCR to wait?

thanks!

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby shntn » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:07 pm

az21833 wrote:thanks! has anybody submitted a uva/umich/nu offer for matching yet or is TCR to wait?

thanks!

NU matching doesn't happen. And NU also hasn't released scholarship stuff yet.

I'd wait and use whichever is the highest offer you get.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 88234, ad34964n, Assasindowntheavenue, at593, Baidu [Spider], Bearlyalive, carlos_danger, emirleee, Google Adsense [Bot], Houzy, laurlaur2112, LawSchoolTitan, mccracal, okf731, proteinshake, The_Pluviophile, xn3345 and 34 guests