Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
elblufer
Posts: 245
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:53 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby elblufer » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:11 pm

moneyball026 wrote:
rabbitrabbit wrote:I think "In Review" is okay; what's not okay, seemingly, is going "Complete" with a new date but no notice about faculty review...

Of course this is all a big, fun guessing game to some extent, but my motto is when in doubt, assume the worst!


Anyone else sitting at under review from october/november without getting faculty review or complete?


Me. 11/21, no update today.

User avatar
wert3813
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby wert3813 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:08 am

cslouisck wrote:This is the point at which I go back through all the prior years' graphs on LSN, looking for people with similar numbers who got rejected trying to see what got them dinged. Then I remind myself that no one's going to be like, "Additional Information: I'm a douche."


I laughed.

User avatar
haider
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:33 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby haider » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:11 am

tsr92 wrote:
Apparently, about 1/8 of people who are under faculty review will get in. Also, in order to be waitlisted, you first have to go under faculty review.

From the TLS interview section:

TLS: What does the admissions process consist of, and how is an application rated?

Dean Tom: “Well, all the files are read, previewed initially by me or by one of my staff. I have 4 other people who help me with the application process initially. However, I read the bulk of them. I read about two-thirds of the applicant pool, while the other 4 read the other one-third.”

TLS: Wow, busy man.

Dean Tom: “Yeah. But it’s structured this way because I know what I’m looking for. And, if my staff finds an applicant whom they want to admit, they have to bring the file to me for a final review. Concurrent to this review process we also identify about 1400 to 1600 other applications that are very competitive, and these we send to our faculty admissions committee, comprised of 6 faculty and 12 students. Students serve in an advising capacity on the committee. I admit roughly 550 people through what I call the administrative review process, and the admissions committee (the faculty committee) admits about another 200 or so. So, we end up admitting about 700 to 750 people. The admissions committee also structures a waiting list, and then everyone else is denied, either administratively or by the Committee.


Good info. Thanks. So if I've got this right:

According to their website (http://www.law.berkeley.edu/47.htm#Q1), they have about 6,000 to 8,000 total applicants, of which they admit about 700 to 750 total. This means a total acceptance rate of about 8%-12%.

Under faculty review, there are 1600 in the pool, of which about 200 are admitted. This is a 12.5% acceptance rate. So your statistical chances of being accepted via faculty review is equal to (maybe slightly higher) than you chances of being accepted through either admissions process (because my total acceptance rate includes administrative + faculty review).

It'd be interesting to see stats of how many are placed on the wait list, and then accepted from the wait list. Assuming this happens at all (which it must) this would increase the likelihood of acceptance statistics of faculty review. Although then you'd have to wait even longer.

mmbt123
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:47 am

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby mmbt123 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:30 am

So let's say about 936-1092 people go to faculty review this year (taking 78% of the 1200-1400 number I saw floating around given that law apps are down by 22%ish).

If they divide the pile amongst the SIX professors, that's roughly 156-182 files PER PROFESSOR. No way are these profs looking at all these files. I bet they get these "advising capacity" only students to sift through and filter out a certain percentage. In the department I worked for (at a top 10 school), the professors could barely get through the 50 or so phd candidates the admissions front office narrowed it down to...

This makes me unhappy. I feel like students tend to be harder on students closer to them in age, etc. etc. and who knows that random criteria is being used to filter out ppl before they get to the profs?! Too bad, I really like you Berkeley!

User avatar
wert3813
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby wert3813 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:47 am

mmbt123 wrote:So let's say about 936-1092 people go to faculty review this year (taking 78% of the 1200-1400 number I saw floating around given that law apps are down by 22%ish).

If they divide the pile amongst the SIX professors, that's roughly 156-182 files PER PROFESSOR. No way are these profs looking at all these files. I bet they get these "advising capacity" only students to sift through and filter out a certain percentage. In the department I worked for (at a top 10 school), the professors could barely get through the 50 or so phd candidates the admissions front office narrowed it down to...

This makes me unhappy. I feel like students tend to be harder on students closer to them in age, etc. etc. and who knows that random criteria is being used to filter out ppl before they get to the profs?! Too bad, I really like you Berkeley!


Some schools don't allow students to look at apps for legal reasons they only serve on adcomm for decisions (application fee change, process stuff). However, for Berkeley didn't we waive the right to have students not look at our apps.

Also, IMO Berkeley is clearly the most holistic. Even more so than Harvard.

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby shntn » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:49 am

wert3813 wrote:However, for Berkeley didn't we waive the right to have students not look at our apps.

Exactly. You could easily opt out of this (and probably their whole admissions process by making their lives harder) right in your app.

User avatar
Jaqen
Posts: 947
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:23 am

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Jaqen » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:05 am

I just found a Waitlist/Faculty Review Support Group thread from last year.

down the rabbit hole I go

WhatOurBodiesAreFor
Posts: 369
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:45 am

FR! FR! Just happy to be here honestly

grapefruits
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:13 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby grapefruits » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:01 pm

haider wrote:
tsr92 wrote:
Apparently, about 1/8 of people who are under faculty review will get in. Also, in order to be waitlisted, you first have to go under faculty review.

From the TLS interview section:

TLS: What does the admissions process consist of, and how is an application rated?

Dean Tom: “Well, all the files are read, previewed initially by me or by one of my staff. I have 4 other people who help me with the application process initially. However, I read the bulk of them. I read about two-thirds of the applicant pool, while the other 4 read the other one-third.”

TLS: Wow, busy man.

Dean Tom: “Yeah. But it’s structured this way because I know what I’m looking for. And, if my staff finds an applicant whom they want to admit, they have to bring the file to me for a final review. Concurrent to this review process we also identify about 1400 to 1600 other applications that are very competitive, and these we send to our faculty admissions committee, comprised of 6 faculty and 12 students. Students serve in an advising capacity on the committee. I admit roughly 550 people through what I call the administrative review process, and the admissions committee (the faculty committee) admits about another 200 or so. So, we end up admitting about 700 to 750 people. The admissions committee also structures a waiting list, and then everyone else is denied, either administratively or by the Committee.


Good info. Thanks. So if I've got this right:

According to their website (http://www.law.berkeley.edu/47.htm#Q1), they have about 6,000 to 8,000 total applicants, of which they admit about 700 to 750 total. This means a total acceptance rate of about 8%-12%.

Under faculty review, there are 1600 in the pool, of which about 200 are admitted. This is a 12.5% acceptance rate. So your statistical chances of being accepted via faculty review is equal to (maybe slightly higher) than you chances of being accepted through either admissions process (because my total acceptance rate includes administrative + faculty review).

It'd be interesting to see stats of how many are placed on the wait list, and then accepted from the wait list. Assuming this happens at all (which it must) this would increase the likelihood of acceptance statistics of faculty review. Although then you'd have to wait even longer.



The problem is that you're competing against a vastly superior applicant pool; all of the auto-dings and other rejects are out of the picture.

Lexie_M_89
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:17 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Lexie_M_89 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:08 pm

grapefruits wrote:
haider wrote:
tsr92 wrote:
Apparently, about 1/8 of people who are under faculty review will get in. Also, in order to be waitlisted, you first have to go under faculty review.

From the TLS interview section:

TLS: What does the admissions process consist of, and how is an application rated?

Dean Tom: “Well, all the files are read, previewed initially by me or by one of my staff. I have 4 other people who help me with the application process initially. However, I read the bulk of them. I read about two-thirds of the applicant pool, while the other 4 read the other one-third.”

TLS: Wow, busy man.

Dean Tom: “Yeah. But it’s structured this way because I know what I’m looking for. And, if my staff finds an applicant whom they want to admit, they have to bring the file to me for a final review. Concurrent to this review process we also identify about 1400 to 1600 other applications that are very competitive, and these we send to our faculty admissions committee, comprised of 6 faculty and 12 students. Students serve in an advising capacity on the committee. I admit roughly 550 people through what I call the administrative review process, and the admissions committee (the faculty committee) admits about another 200 or so. So, we end up admitting about 700 to 750 people. The admissions committee also structures a waiting list, and then everyone else is denied, either administratively or by the Committee.


Good info. Thanks. So if I've got this right:

According to their website (http://www.law.berkeley.edu/47.htm#Q1), they have about 6,000 to 8,000 total applicants, of which they admit about 700 to 750 total. This means a total acceptance rate of about 8%-12%.

Under faculty review, there are 1600 in the pool, of which about 200 are admitted. This is a 12.5% acceptance rate. So your statistical chances of being accepted via faculty review is equal to (maybe slightly higher) than you chances of being accepted through either admissions process (because my total acceptance rate includes administrative + faculty review).

It'd be interesting to see stats of how many are placed on the wait list, and then accepted from the wait list. Assuming this happens at all (which it must) this would increase the likelihood of acceptance statistics of faculty review. Although then you'd have to wait even longer.



The problem is that you're competing against a vastly superior applicant pool; all of the auto-dings and other rejects are out of the picture.


+1

cslouisck
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:59 am

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby cslouisck » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:08 pm

So is there any consensus about what still being under review (neither 'complete' nor FR) means? Went UR 12/6. Ding? Or is there still hope for being admitted through the regular review process?

grapefruits
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:13 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby grapefruits » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:12 pm

cslouisck wrote:So is there any consensus about what still being under review (neither 'complete' nor FR) means? Went UR 12/6. Ding? Or is there still hope for being admitted through the regular review process?


My unqualified opinion is that you should expect either to go UFR or get dinged.

WhatOurBodiesAreFor
Posts: 369
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:18 pm

grapefruits wrote:
haider wrote:
tsr92 wrote:
Apparently, about 1/8 of people who are under faculty review will get in. Also, in order to be waitlisted, you first have to go under faculty review.

From the TLS interview section:

TLS: What does the admissions process consist of, and how is an application rated?

Dean Tom: “Well, all the files are read, previewed initially by me or by one of my staff. I have 4 other people who help me with the application process initially. However, I read the bulk of them. I read about two-thirds of the applicant pool, while the other 4 read the other one-third.”

TLS: Wow, busy man.

Dean Tom: “Yeah. But it’s structured this way because I know what I’m looking for. And, if my staff finds an applicant whom they want to admit, they have to bring the file to me for a final review. Concurrent to this review process we also identify about 1400 to 1600 other applications that are very competitive, and these we send to our faculty admissions committee, comprised of 6 faculty and 12 students. Students serve in an advising capacity on the committee. I admit roughly 550 people through what I call the administrative review process, and the admissions committee (the faculty committee) admits about another 200 or so. So, we end up admitting about 700 to 750 people. The admissions committee also structures a waiting list, and then everyone else is denied, either administratively or by the Committee.


Good info. Thanks. So if I've got this right:

According to their website (http://www.law.berkeley.edu/47.htm#Q1), they have about 6,000 to 8,000 total applicants, of which they admit about 700 to 750 total. This means a total acceptance rate of about 8%-12%.

Under faculty review, there are 1600 in the pool, of which about 200 are admitted. This is a 12.5% acceptance rate. So your statistical chances of being accepted via faculty review is equal to (maybe slightly higher) than you chances of being accepted through either admissions process (because my total acceptance rate includes administrative + faculty review).

It'd be interesting to see stats of how many are placed on the wait list, and then accepted from the wait list. Assuming this happens at all (which it must) this would increase the likelihood of acceptance statistics of faculty review. Although then you'd have to wait even longer.



The problem is that you're competing against a vastly superior applicant pool; all of the auto-dings and other rejects are out of the picture.


Yes but the 12.5% doesn't include WLs does it? There's also a lot of applicants who are FR who are already set on T-6. Just saying, our chances don't seem quite so terrible.

User avatar
sean21
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:45 am

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby sean21 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:50 pm

Has anyone gotten an email about FR yet? Im on vacation and instead of spending the morning on the beach I read last year's forum from around this time. This is what I got:

Email should be coming soon with a date they will make decisions on the first round of faculty review by. Last year it was Feb 17, although some decisions came a bit earlier. That included acceptances, WL and a bloodbath of denials.

Right after that a second wave of status checker changes came and an email for faculty review round two. The decision date noted was March 9. Most in the second round applied later, going complete sometime in December or later. Same percentage was admitted in both FR rounds.

ggnore
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:09 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby ggnore » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:19 pm

sean21 wrote:Has anyone gotten an email about FR yet? Im on vacation and instead of spending the morning on the beach I read last year's forum from around this time. This is what I got:

Email should be coming soon with a date they will make decisions on the first round of faculty review by. Last year it was Feb 17, although some decisions came a bit earlier. That included acceptances, WL and a bloodbath of denials.

Right after that a second wave of status checker changes came and an email for faculty review round two. The decision date noted was March 9. Most in the second round applied later, going complete sometime in December or later. Same percentage was admitted in both FR rounds.


Do you know the number of weeks for when applicants were notified of FR during round 1 and round 2 in relation to the Feb 17th date?

User avatar
sean21
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:45 am

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby sean21 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:27 pm

ggnore wrote:
sean21 wrote:Has anyone gotten an email about FR yet? Im on vacation and instead of spending the morning on the beach I read last year's forum from around this time. This is what I got:

Email should be coming soon with a date they will make decisions on the first round of faculty review by. Last year it was Feb 17, although some decisions came a bit earlier. That included acceptances, WL and a bloodbath of denials.

Right after that a second wave of status checker changes came and an email for faculty review round two. The decision date noted was March 9. Most in the second round applied later, going complete sometime in December or later. Same percentage was admitted in both FR rounds.


Do you know the number of weeks for when applicants were notified of FR during round 1 and round 2 in relation to the Feb 17th date?


Not sure I fully understand the question but the first round of FR was notified on January 26 and it seems like they were applicants who went complete from oct to late nov. second round of FR was notified I believe around feb 18 with most being applicants who went complete from dec. to late jan.

User avatar
amsong
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:42 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby amsong » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:57 pm

I am under faculty review after all!

User avatar
VeeD101
Posts: 333
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:49 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby VeeD101 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:03 pm

amsong wrote:I am under faculty review after all!


Did your status change today?

User avatar
goden
Posts: 2268
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:52 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby goden » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:03 pm

Looks like I missed the FR boat :evil:

User avatar
VeeD101
Posts: 333
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:49 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby VeeD101 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:04 pm

Not if its still happening today.

User avatar
sitwaitwish
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:31 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby sitwaitwish » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:07 pm

FR status updated 1/24

User avatar
amsong
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:42 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby amsong » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:11 pm

VeeD101 wrote:
amsong wrote:I am under faculty review after all!


Did your status change today?


Yes -- I changed to "Your file is complete" yesterday evening, and then it changed again today back to under review with a new header.

User avatar
JamesDean1955
Posts: 744
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby JamesDean1955 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:12 pm

sitwaitwish wrote:FR status updated 1/24


+1. So who is going to start the Berkeley Waitlist/Faculty Review Support Group 2013 thread? Looks like one was done for each previous application cycle.

Also, from reading those threads, it looks like Faculty Review is where applications go to die...

User avatar
VeeD101
Posts: 333
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:49 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby VeeD101 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:14 pm

amsong wrote:
VeeD101 wrote:
amsong wrote:I am under faculty review after all!


Did your status change today?


Yes -- I changed to "Your file is complete" yesterday evening, and then it changed again today back to under review with a new header.


Ahh your file originally changed yesterday then. I guess I did miss the FR1 boat...no more false platitudes haha

User avatar
gingerbreadsmouse
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:51 pm

Re: Berkeley c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby gingerbreadsmouse » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:15 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:
sitwaitwish wrote:FR status updated 1/24


+1. So who is going to start the Berkeley Waitlist/Faculty Review Support Group 2013 thread? Looks like one was done for each previous application cycle.

Also, from reading those threads, it looks like Faculty Review is where applications go to die...


gotta say I'm happier with my application dying slowly and quietly than getting a rejection. Less crying, ya know?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”