Acceptances after initial Rejection - June LSAT score

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
The Fiend
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 12:29 pm

Acceptances after initial Rejection - June LSAT score

Postby The Fiend » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:33 pm

I'm sure that this has been discussed many times, but since I've never come across a post about this, I thought I would share some info. After a disappointing LSAT performance in October, I was rejected from a handful of schools that I had anticipated being accepted with schollies to (based on practice tests). Due to reasons I'm not going to go into, I wasnt able to take the Dec or Feb LSATs, and so signed up for the June LSAT. Scored 8 points higher.

I emailed the admissions offices of the schools I had been rejected at when I received my score in July, and every single one reconsidered my application, and subsequently accepted me - I received scholarship offers from a handful of them too. A few of these schools even had explicit "decisions are final" sentences in their rejection letters. I am actually matriculating at one of such schools after all.

TLSers typically push retakes ad nauseum, and like any message, it gets fucking annoying no matter it's truth value. But even if it's the June LSAT; if you think you can do better, just take the damn test again.

ajax
Posts: 278
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:33 pm

Re: Acceptances after initial Rejection - June LSAT score

Postby ajax » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:12 pm

This is because school's are in dire need of students to fill up classes. Applicants are way down this year. Even if they admit someone paying 10% of the total tuition, this still benefits them. The marginal cost to a law school of adding an additional student is quite small, as long as said student meets their medians.

Most projections see applicants being down further for the 2013-2014 entering class. If there is anything you can do for a year to delay law school, I highly recommend it. You will likely save yourself thousands of dollars.

The ponzi scheme is at an end. The peak was last year. Applications are falling off a cliff with the actual employment statistics becoming more transparent. The ABA is partnering with LSAC to confirm entering class statistics that law schools must report to USNEWs, so schools won't be able to fudge their numbers. Therefore, not being able to lie, along with falling applications, schools will have to decrease the size of their entering classes, allot more scholarships, or just cut tuition. Welcome to a bubble collapse.

PS

Another smart idea at this time is to attend a school on full scholarship with no stipulations, and then transfer to a higher ranked school. Law schools do not have to report transfer student numbers to USNEWs, and therefore can collect tuition dollars without hurting their medians. If you look at the numbers, these transfer numbers are way up.
Last edited by ajax on Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
pinkcamellia
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Acceptances after initial Rejection - June LSAT score

Postby pinkcamellia » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:18 pm

ajax wrote:
PS

Another smart idea at this time is to attend a school on full scholarship with no stipulations, and then transfer to a higher ranked school. Law schools do not have to report transfer student numbers to USNEWs, and therefore can collect tuition dollars without hurting their medians. If you look at the numbers, these transfer numbers are way up.


PPS This last part is terrible advice. Never go to school with the intent to transfer.

ajax
Posts: 278
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:33 pm

Re: Acceptances after initial Rejection - June LSAT score

Postby ajax » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:23 pm

pinkcamellia wrote:
ajax wrote:
PS

Another smart idea at this time is to attend a school on full scholarship with no stipulations, and then transfer to a higher ranked school. Law schools do not have to report transfer student numbers to USNEWs, and therefore can collect tuition dollars without hurting their medians. If you look at the numbers, these transfer numbers are way up.


PPS This last part is terrible advice. Never go to school with the intent to transfer.



PPPS This USED to be terrible advice. Some people take longer than others to recognize trends.

ajax
Posts: 278
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:33 pm

Re: Acceptances after initial Rejection - June LSAT score

Postby ajax » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:28 pm

"This is not all: at least one top five school is now offering significant "scholarships" (discounted tuition) to potential transfer students from lower-ranked schools. The theory seems to be that if the incoming first year class is going to yield less revenue, then some of this can be made up by taking more transfers than ever before, even if some of them have to be purchased with cut-rate tuition."

http://insidethelawschoolscam.blogspot. ... mment-form

PolySuyGuy
Posts: 441
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:59 pm

Re: Acceptances after initial Rejection - June LSAT score

Postby PolySuyGuy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:16 pm




A sign of the coming apocalypse. Even Cooley is cutting class size.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Acceptances after initial Rejection - June LSAT score

Postby IAFG » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:23 pm

ajax wrote:
pinkcamellia wrote:
ajax wrote:
PS

Another smart idea at this time is to attend a school on full scholarship with no stipulations, and then transfer to a higher ranked school. Law schools do not have to report transfer student numbers to USNEWs, and therefore can collect tuition dollars without hurting their medians. If you look at the numbers, these transfer numbers are way up.


PPS This last part is terrible advice. Never go to school with the intent to transfer.



PPPS This USED to be terrible advice. Some people take longer than others to recognize trends.

It's still pure idiocy. Merely being admitted into a better school as a transfer is not going to lead to employment if your old school and grades made you an auto reject.

The fuck's wrong with you?

Dreas
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:58 pm

Re: Acceptances after initial Rejection - June LSAT score

Postby Dreas » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:13 pm

IAFG wrote:
ajax wrote:
pinkcamellia wrote:
ajax wrote:
PS

Another smart idea at this time is to attend a school on full scholarship with no stipulations, and then transfer to a higher ranked school. Law schools do not have to report transfer student numbers to USNEWs, and therefore can collect tuition dollars without hurting their medians. If you look at the numbers, these transfer numbers are way up.


PPS This last part is terrible advice. Never go to school with the intent to transfer.



PPPS This USED to be terrible advice. Some people take longer than others to recognize trends.

It's still pure idiocy. Merely being admitted into a better school as a transfer is not going to lead to employment if your old school and grades made you an auto reject.

The fuck's wrong with you?


If I'm understanding you correctly, your argument doesn't make much sense. If person X transfered to Y-T14 from a TTT, why would person X's UG GPA/LSAT be relevant at this point? And if you mean their TTT grades, then their grades are actually what are getting the person into the transfer school..

Especially when we're talking about employment prospects.. then again, maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Acceptances after initial Rejection - June LSAT score

Postby northwood » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:40 pm

It's okay to reapply next cycle.... Schools won't hold it against you even if u were admitted or denied the first time... However if u were just accepted now without a scholly, wait a year reapply in the fall and see if u can get a scholly... Worst case is that you don't but then I'd have a year if working to save money( and schools understand the need to save money an work ). But if u got into your dream school and u are okay with packing and moving ASAP then do it....

User avatar
smaug_
Posts: 2195
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: Acceptances after initial Rejection - June LSAT score

Postby smaug_ » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:50 pm

Dreas wrote:maybe I'm misunderstanding you.


You're misunderstanding her. If the 1L grades/rank from your original school aren't good enough, changing the name on your degree won't help you get that summer associateship. You can get from your TTT. But, the statement is that one should go to a school whose employment prospects are OK at the cost. If you're not OK with the prospects at your TTT, you shouldn't count on transferring. It still rests on you performing well during your 1L year and you can't count on that.

Dreas
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:58 pm

Re: Acceptances after initial Rejection - June LSAT score

Postby Dreas » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:04 pm

hibiki wrote:
Dreas wrote:maybe I'm misunderstanding you.


You're misunderstanding her. If the 1L grades/rank from your original school aren't good enough, changing the name on your degree won't help you get that summer associateship. You can get from your TTT. But, the statement is that one should go to a school whose employment prospects are OK at the cost. If you're not OK with the prospects at your TTT, you shouldn't count on transferring. It still rests on you performing well during your 1L year and you can't count on that.


Agreed, but I thought that that was a given?

Also, if you're transfering up doesn't that imply a good class rank to begin with?

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Acceptances after initial Rejection - June LSAT score

Postby IAFG » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:07 pm

Dreas wrote:
If I'm understanding you correctly, your argument doesn't make much sense. If person X transfered to Y-T14 from a TTT, why would person X's UG GPA/LSAT be relevant at this point? And if you mean their TTT grades, then their grades are actually what are getting the person into the transfer school..

Especially when we're talking about employment prospects.. then again, maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

Okay then how did this USED to be bad advice but is now credited? Do TTTs not grade on a curve anymore?

Dreas
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:58 pm

Re: Acceptances after initial Rejection - June LSAT score

Postby Dreas » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:13 pm

IAFG wrote:
Dreas wrote:
If I'm understanding you correctly, your argument doesn't make much sense. If person X transfered to Y-T14 from a TTT, why would person X's UG GPA/LSAT be relevant at this point? And if you mean their TTT grades, then their grades are actually what are getting the person into the transfer school..

Especially when we're talking about employment prospects.. then again, maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

Okay then how did this USED to be bad advice but is now credited? Do TTTs not grade on a curve anymore?


I'm not arguing that it's a good idea. Regardless, it all depends on 1L performance and if you're willing to gamble.

I was just questioning the said lack of improved employment prospects for a transfer (-ing up) student.

pearla
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Acceptances after initial Rejection - June LSAT score

Postby pearla » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:45 pm

Also, if you're transfering up doesn't that imply a good class rank to begin with?[/quote]

Can't tell how he missed that crucial point. :mrgreen:




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”