Your Most Random Acceptance That Reeks of Desperation?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
splitbrain
Posts: 656
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:38 pm

Re: Your Most Random Acceptance That Reeks of Desperation?

Postby splitbrain » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:47 pm

justonemoregame wrote:Michigan sent me a waitlist update and said they really like me (good personality), but that they can't take me right now (wouldn't hit it). But I know they're just trying to make me beg, desperate TTTTT14

That + your avatar = 180

User avatar
Ohiobumpkin
Posts: 465
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:50 am

Re: Your Most Random Acceptance That Reeks of Desperation?

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:57 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:Why didn't you respond and tell them you wouldn't be attending? That's pretty douchey.


+1

abc12345675
Posts: 373
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:27 am

Re: Your Most Random Acceptance That Reeks of Desperation?

Postby abc12345675 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:02 pm

Ohiobumpkin wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:Why didn't you respond and tell them you wouldn't be attending? That's pretty douchey.


+1


Didn't I answer this? They said at the very beginning that if you don't respond and accept your waitlist position you're off. Why would I respond to a school that can't even stick to their own rules?

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Your Most Random Acceptance That Reeks of Desperation?

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:09 pm

abc12345675 wrote:
Ohiobumpkin wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:Why didn't you respond and tell them you wouldn't be attending? That's pretty douchey.


+1


Didn't I answer this? They said at the very beginning that if you don't respond and accept your waitlist position you're off. Why would I respond to a school that can't even stick to their own rules?

Just because you responded to it in a douchey way doesn't mean you aren't still being douchey. HTH.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Your Most Random Acceptance That Reeks of Desperation?

Postby kwais » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:13 pm

boo. boo hiss

User avatar
pinkcamellia
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Your Most Random Acceptance That Reeks of Desperation?

Postby pinkcamellia » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:16 pm

Florida Coastal still checks in with me now and again. They're like that facebook friend request you get from that one annoying girl every couple of months and you always select "not now" when you really mean "never".

User avatar
manofjustice
Posts: 1323
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:01 pm

Re: Your Most Random Acceptance That Reeks of Desperation?

Postby manofjustice » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:40 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
abc12345675 wrote:
Ohiobumpkin wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:Why didn't you respond and tell them you wouldn't be attending? That's pretty douchey.


+1


Didn't I answer this? They said at the very beginning that if you don't respond and accept your waitlist position you're off. Why would I respond to a school that can't even stick to their own rules?

Just because you responded to it in a douchey way doesn't mean you aren't still being douchey. HTH.


What's the BFD? He responded to it logically.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Your Most Random Acceptance That Reeks of Desperation?

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:43 am

Yes, this comment is high on logic and low on douche. :roll:

abc12345675 wrote:As for why I didn't later, well because their ridiculous overtures didn't warrant a reply in my opinion.

User avatar
MavEryck
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:33 pm

Re: Your Most Random Acceptance That Reeks of Desperation?

Postby MavEryck » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:36 pm

Ok, I think this is the proper place to post this...

I received an unsolicited e-mail from Cornell. (I had never considered applying to their institution prior to the e-mail)

Without going back to re-read it...the message stated something to the effect of "We realize the application deadline has passed. However, we have waived the deadline. The application fee will also be waived if you respond to this message. We thought you may consider applying. You will receive another message shortly."

Five minutes later... (2nd e-mail) Basically, the same as the first.

So, I thought it over for about 3 seconds while I opened Google to look them up. Obviously they are a good school. So, I applied.

Then, I waited and waited for a response. Two months later, I get some "cut and paste" standard "we regret that we were not able to offer you admission. Due to the high number of qualified candidates blah blah blah. This should not be viewed as a negative blah blah blah."

I was thinking... You took the time to ask me to apply, just to make me wait two months and then deny me?

Random :?:

thederangedwang
Posts: 1124
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:44 pm

Re: Your Most Random Acceptance That Reeks of Desperation?

Postby thederangedwang » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:37 pm

prob wanted to up their selectivity...kinda a douche move but whatever

User avatar
manofjustice
Posts: 1323
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:01 pm

Re: Your Most Random Acceptance That Reeks of Desperation?

Postby manofjustice » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:04 am

MavEryck wrote:Ok, I think this is the proper place to post this...

I received an unsolicited e-mail from Cornell. (I had never considered applying to their institution prior to the e-mail)

Without going back to re-read it...the message stated something to the effect of "We realize the application deadline has passed. However, we have waived the deadline. The application fee will also be waived if you respond to this message. We thought you may consider applying. You will receive another message shortly."

Five minutes later... (2nd e-mail) Basically, the same as the first.

So, I thought it over for about 3 seconds while I opened Google to look them up. Obviously they are a good school. So, I applied.

Then, I waited and waited for a response. Two months later, I get some "cut and paste" standard "we regret that we were not able to offer you admission. Due to the high number of qualified candidates blah blah blah. This should not be viewed as a negative blah blah blah."

I was thinking... You took the time to ask me to apply, just to make me wait two months and then deny me?

Random :?:


Douche? Yes. Random? No.

It bumps up how selective their school appears. When they have more applicants they deny, they look more selective. This apparent selectivity improves their US News and World Report ranking.

Unless your numbers are fantastic (and if they are, they why wouldn't you have already applied) don't apply to ANY school this late in the cycle. A lot of schools play this game around this time of year.

ArtyIvy
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:45 am

Re: Your Most Random Acceptance That Reeks of Desperation?

Postby ArtyIvy » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:30 pm

That's what Minnesota did to me. I spent $21 (I'm unemployed, it's a lot to me right now) to be rejected in 2 weeks time. I'd been receiving emails from them a few times a week. It's like that guy you know you don't like who just keeps asking you out, until you give them a pity date.

But at least that guy doesn't turn around and reject you. Stalk, maybe...


MavEryck wrote:Ok, I think this is the proper place to post this...

I received an unsolicited e-mail from Cornell. (I had never considered applying to their institution prior to the e-mail)

Without going back to re-read it...the message stated something to the effect of "We realize the application deadline has passed. However, we have waived the deadline. The application fee will also be waived if you respond to this message. We thought you may consider applying. You will receive another message shortly."

Five minutes later... (2nd e-mail) Basically, the same as the first.

So, I thought it over for about 3 seconds while I opened Google to look them up. Obviously they are a good school. So, I applied.

Then, I waited and waited for a response. Two months later, I get some "cut and paste" standard "we regret that we were not able to offer you admission. Due to the high number of qualified candidates blah blah blah. This should not be viewed as a negative blah blah blah."

I was thinking... You took the time to ask me to apply, just to make me wait two months and then deny me?

Random :?:




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], texteach, TudoBem, zeglo and 11 guests