Your Most Random Acceptance That Reeks of Desperation? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
abc12345675

Bronze

Your Most Random Acceptance That Reeks of Desperation?

Post by abc12345675 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:21 am

So the guy who posted today that he got in to Rutgers without applying got me thinking- what experiences like this have others had?

The one I'll contribute is that last year I got waitlisted at Case Western (I suspect it's because I was careless and had another school's name in the PS. OOPS!). Well I didn't respond to my waitlist notification and just forgot about em. Well, around the 3rd week of June I get an email from them telling me not only was I admitted off the waitlist but I was offered $35,000 a year. I didn't respond to this either. 2 weeks after that I get another email saying that scholarship now has no stips. I didn't respond to that. Then about a week before classes start I get an email saying offer still stands.

birdlaw117

Gold

Re: Your Most Random Acceptance That Reeks of Desperation?

Post by birdlaw117 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:24 am

Why didn't you respond and tell them you wouldn't be attending? That's pretty douchey.

abc12345675

Bronze

Post by abc12345675 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:25 am

birdlaw117 wrote:Why didn't you respond and tell them you wouldn't be attending? That's pretty douchey.
Why would I do this? They said very clearly that you need to either accept the waitlist by a certain date or you aren't on it. So by not responding I told them I don't want to be on the waitlist...........As for why I didn't later, well because their ridiculous overtures didn't warrant a reply in my opinion.

Tekuo

New

Post by Tekuo » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:48 am

You are so cool. Thanks for sharing how cool you are.

pballer

Bronze

Post by pballer » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:52 am

This thread may have backfired

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

abc12345675

Bronze

Post by abc12345675 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:53 am

Tekuo wrote:You are so cool. Thanks for sharing how cool you are.
?? That really wasn't the point. There are threads popping up every week about something ridiculous a school did now that they are having trouble filling seats. I wanted to get them in one thread.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:54 am

pballer wrote:This thread may have backfired
lolol

abc12345675

Bronze

Post by abc12345675 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:55 am

Ha yeah no kidding............Smells to me of people who got rejected from Case and for some reason decide to take it out on me.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:56 am

abc12345675 wrote:
Ha yeah no kidding............Smells to me of people who got rejected from Case and for some reason decide to take it out on me.
go on...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:27 am

fatduck wrote:
abc12345675 wrote:
go on...

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:29 pm

fatduck wrote:
abc12345675 wrote:
go on...

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:33 pm

abc12345675 wrote:
Yes, an NYU 2L is madbro that he got dinged at Case...

ned

Bronze

Post by ned » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:53 pm

OP, the problem is that your example is not desperation, and also anyone still here is on a wait list. What happened to you is the normal wait list process. And by not responding to them, you dragged out someone else's waiting. No, it was not your fault, but you could have been a mensch and done a favor for someone else on the wait list.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:30 pm

Sounds like you got WLed as YP, so letting you in and giving you money is not desperation, Case was merely trying to get you to reply so they could accept you or get you out of their system.

Desperation is someone who shouldn't even be competitive at a school getting in off of the WL and getting $$$ offers. Campos posted on his blog a story about someone who was like below both medians getting into a T20 school (strongly implied GW) and managing to leverage 35k/year in scholarships. Similarly WUSTL has been giving money to people below both medians and sizeable offers to people with ~3.0/168s.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:31 pm

2014 wrote:Sounds like you got WLed as YP, so letting you in and giving you money is not desperation, Case was merely trying to get you to reply so they could accept you or get you out of their system.

Desperation is someone who shouldn't even be competitive at a school getting in off of the WL and getting $$$ offers. Campos posted on his blog a story about someone who was like below both medians getting into a T20 school (strongly implied GW) and managing to leverage 35k/year in scholarships. Similarly WUSTL has been giving money to people below both medians and sizeable offers to people with ~3.0/168s.
alternatively, desperation is applying to case western

nkp007

Bronze

Post by nkp007 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:34 pm

fatduck wrote:
abc12345675 wrote:
go on...
Thread delivers. OP definitely reeks of desperation.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:36 pm

fatduck wrote:alternatively, desperation is applying to case western
Dat #24 medical research university is super preftigious tho so the lawl school must be too!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PolySuyGuy

Bronze

Post by PolySuyGuy » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:48 pm

abc12345675 wrote:So the guy who posted today that he got in to Rutgers without applying got me thinking- what experiences like this have others had?

The one I'll contribute is that last year I got waitlisted at Case Western (I suspect it's because I was careless and had another school's name in the PS. OOPS!). Well I didn't respond to my waitlist notification and just forgot about em. Well, around the 3rd week of June I get an email from them telling me not only was I admitted off the waitlist but I was offered $35,000 a year. I didn't respond to this either. 2 weeks after that I get another email saying that scholarship now has no stips. I didn't respond to that. Then about a week before classes start I get an email saying offer still stands.

I like the story and I don't need to hate on you.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:55 pm

A few years ago, I got a letter in August from Melanie Nutt at Wake Forest asking that I submit an application and a short essay explaining why I had applied to law school. She advised me that the school was impressed with my LSAT score and that "significant scholarship money would be available" for me. Apparently, the school had lost out on several URM's, but I have no idea as to why Wake thought I would come when I was clearly qualified for better schools. The adcom expected me to make a decision in one week to attend a school that wasn't even on my radar.

Needless to say, I didn't submit the application...didn't want to...didn't need to.
Last edited by PDaddy on Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SnapSnapSnap

New

Post by SnapSnapSnap » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:57 pm

Why is everybody sippin' Hatorade on OP? I don't get it.

Not exactly the same, but University of La Verne offered me a FREE LUNCH if I attend an information session (read: sales pitch) at their campus. I am still considering it. I like lunch. :D

gobuffs10

Bronze

Post by gobuffs10 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:25 pm

I also had the Rutgers-Camden letter, just a few minutes ago, actually. Fee waiver, seat deposit waiver, and scholarship. The admit is sadly pretty consistent with the rest of my admits (SLU, Syracuse, Washburn, Denver). Every day I'm happier that I got into UW.

I also had the usual suspects, like Florida Coastal, Charlotte, Phoenix, but Rutgers was by far the most random.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Wily

Bronze

Post by Wily » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:32 pm

Cardozo accepted me very late in the cycle with a 8k scholarship. I showed them my full rides from TT schools and they raised it to $24k, and then $30k when I asked for more. I got into GW off the WL and told them, and they raised it to $42k/year. I withdrew anyway, and a few weeks later, they just now offered me a full ride ($49k)...

gobuffs10

Bronze

Post by gobuffs10 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:41 pm

Wily wrote:Cardozo accepted me very late in the cycle with a 8k scholarship. I showed them my full rides from TT schools and they raised it to $24k, and then $30k when I asked for more. I got into GW off the WL and told them, and they raised it to $42k/year. I withdrew anyway, and a few weeks later, they just now offered me a full ride ($49k)...
I assume you're going to GW despite the full ride?

Also, I liked OP's story, but I also liked the "so cool" reply. "So cool" is the new "cool story, bro."

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:51 pm

The Ol' pocket veto

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:58 pm

Michigan sent me a waitlist update and said they really like me (good personality), but that they can't take me right now (wouldn't hit it). But I know they're just trying to make me beg, desperate TTTTT14

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”