Harvard vs Stanford? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

HLS or SLS for non-law career?

HLS will provide better career options outside of the legal field.
65%
SLS will provide better options outside the legal field.
35%

Total votes: 57

Aqua

New

Harvard vs Stanford?

Post by Aqua » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:55 pm

I already submitted a deposit at Stanford and just got off the HLS waitlist. I know that there are tons of HLS vs SLS posts on TLS, but would greatly appreciate your feedback re:my specific situation. I hope to use my law degree to do policy work and ultimately start a nonprofit. Although HLS seems to have a stronger reputation for producing leaders, the entrepreneurial spirit of Silicon Valley definitely seems to have infused SLS. Please let me know which school you think will be better for my career ambitions. I visited both schools and don't feel that either one is a better "fit"--I loved them both.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Re: Harvard vs Stanford?

Post by Doorkeeper » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:58 pm

Do you want to work in DC? At the State level? Which state?

More specifics needed.

justwalkawayrenee

New

Post by justwalkawayrenee » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:01 pm

Seems like the career opportunities from both are very similar and the only real question is geography. The general rule is: west of the Rockies --> Stanford, east of the Rockies --> Harvard.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:06 pm

Both of them are known for producing successful entrepreneurs both inside and outside of law. I would venture to say that, controlling for all other factors, go with the cheaper one or choose according to weather (cold vs. warm). At this level, it's almost that simple.

sharktankdean

Silver

Post by sharktankdean » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:15 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Both of them are known for producing successful entrepreneurs both inside and outside of law. I would venture to say that, controlling for all other factors, go with the cheaper one or choose according to weather (cold vs. warm). At this level, it's almost that simple.

This is true.

In my opinion H and S are semi-interchangeable I don't think anyone has a great advantage over the other. I may actually come down to if you prefer saying "I am going to Harvard!!!!" to "I am going to Stanford!!!!"

Are you planning on getting an MBA? If you are, i think its harder to get into Stanford GSB than it is to get into HBS. Granted they are both hard to get into but Stanford has a single digit acceptance rate. But i do know that Stanford takes people without work experience (just assuming u don't have some)...I'm not sure if Harvard takes people without WE though..
Last edited by sharktankdean on Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:20 pm

I would think Stanford has the SF/Silicon Valley advantage, Harvard has the edge in DC...but there isn't a wrong choice here.

I think it comes down to personal preference for the climate, semester/quarter, vibes of student body, etc.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:23 pm

Personal preference, in my opinion. Nevertheless, if unhappy at Stanford, it would be easier to transfer to Harvard then vice-versa.

Geneva

Silver

Post by Geneva » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:56 pm

easier to register for classes outside the law school at sls, though also encouraged at hls. also i think the limit on non-law credits is significantly higher at sls. that being said, i agree with the people who said that this decision comes down to personal preference. congrats!

sharktankdean

Silver

Post by sharktankdean » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:30 pm

Geneva wrote:easier to register for classes outside the law school at sls, though also encouraged at hls. also i think the limit on non-law credits is significantly higher at sls. that being said, i agree with the people who said that this decision comes down to personal preference. congrats!

Geneva! Where have u been lol. Are we gonna be classmates?

What's the limit on non law classes at both schools?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

yojuro

New

Post by yojuro » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:10 am

Well, the H-bomb definitely elicited a more amazed response from people, at least where I live. :wink: Once I got past that, though, I realized, like everyone is saying here, the opportunities coming out of both are pretty similar. I'm just an 0L, but I don't think either school would be appreciably better for what you want to end up doing.
I think I would have been happy at either H or S (and I think it's safe to say most people would be happy at either). Though both visits were great, I did have a slightly better visit at one school; I also personally felt that the vibes I got re school cultures were different enough for me to make the call based on fit. PM me if you want to discuss your decision!

Now

New

Post by Now » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:06 am

yojuro wrote:Well, the H-bomb definitely elicited a more amazed response from people, at least where I live. :wink: Once I got past that, though, I realized, like everyone is saying here, the opportunities coming out of both are pretty similar. I'm just an 0L, but I don't think either school would be appreciably better for what you want to end up doing.
I think I would have been happy at either H or S (and I think it's safe to say most people would be happy at either). Though both visits were great, I did have a slightly better visit at one school; I also personally felt that the vibes I got re school cultures were different enough for me to make the call based on fit. PM me if you want to discuss your decision!
I'm in the same situation as the OP! I just PMed you:)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”