GW vs. University of San Diego

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

GW or USD?

GW
37
73%
USD
14
27%
 
Total votes: 51

User avatar
DC_Patent_Law
Posts: 139
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:03 pm

GW vs. University of San Diego

Postby DC_Patent_Law » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:17 pm

I know people at this board will consider me crazy but hear me out:

I've been wanting to go to Cali for about 3 years now but couldn't with the down economy. I've been working in patent law for about 8 years in D.C. as a Patent Agent, so getting a job out of law school will not be a problem.

Earlier this year I got into USD with 40% scholly, 2.0 stip. So, that was perfect, sunny Cali singing its sweet song to me, and so I started packing my bags.

I just got off the GW waitlist today. That throws me in a loop because a) the ranking b) its really good for patent law and c) my firm will cover about 40% tuition as well if I go to GW.

Just how much will I be shooting myself in the foot if I go to USD instead?

abc12345675
Posts: 373
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:27 am

Re: GW vs. University of San Diego

Postby abc12345675 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:21 pm

DC_Patent_Law wrote:I know people at this board will consider me crazy but hear me out:

I've been wanting to go to Cali for about 3 years now but couldn't with the down economy. I've been working in patent law for about 8 years in D.C. as a Patent Agent, so getting a job out of law school will not be a problem.

Earlier this year I got into USD with 40% scholly, 2.0 stip. So, that was perfect, sunny Cali singing its sweet song to me, and so I started packing my bags.

I just got off the GW waitlist today. That throws me in a loop because a) the ranking b) its really good for patent law and c) my firm will cover about 40% tuition as well if I go to GW.

Just how much will I be shooting myself in the foot if I go to USD instead?


I'm not sure I understand your dilemma. So you believe you could get a job no matter what? And you want to live in CA? Go to USD then! GW is a good school, but isn't elite by any measure.

2012JayDee
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 10:49 pm

Re: GW vs. University of San Diego

Postby 2012JayDee » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:22 pm

Since you're already a patent agent any school that's "good for patent law" is now negligible. You've already got the patent bar, experience, and prior job.

Go to Cali, enjoy the sun, save your $$, and go back into patent work in Cali. If you pass the Cali bar great--if not you can still work in patent law, you can still do firm work as a patent agent, and of course you can still go back to the USPTO.

If you don't want to do patent work anymore, but really still want to live/work in DC you should probably go to GW.

jarofsoup
Posts: 1952
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: GW vs. University of San Diego

Postby jarofsoup » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:34 pm

GWU. Patent people do awesome there during OCI. At USD they do not know what to do with people with science backgrounds.

User avatar
DC_Patent_Law
Posts: 139
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:03 pm

Re: GW vs. University of San Diego

Postby DC_Patent_Law » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:41 pm

So it seems like the consensus is that I won't be missing out anything sweet if I don't go to GW? I think USD will give me a better hold in the SoCal market than GW will #gut-feeling

Eco
Posts: 325
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:37 pm

Re: GW vs. University of San Diego

Postby Eco » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:43 pm

If you weren't interested in patent law, I would say go to UC San Diego especially with the 40% scholly. But patent-law folks at GW do amazing.

User avatar
SDPalmTree
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: GW vs. University of San Diego

Postby SDPalmTree » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:10 pm

DC_Patent_Law wrote:I've been wanting to go to Cali for about 3 years now but couldn't with the down economy.
...
Just how much will I be shooting myself in the foot if I go to USD instead?


I'd say that if your goal is practicing in California, you should go to USD. It's a great school, and pretty much the only law school worth mentioning in SD county. Moreover, with the Aerospace, Naval, and UCSD industries churning out patanable inventions, you shouldn't have any trouble finding someone willing to hire you once you get your JD and pass the bar. Also, a lot of San Diego firms would rather hire graduates out of USD than even other places in CA, much less a law school 3k miles away. That said, if you don't care about where you end up and just want to do patent law, then I'd say go to GW and save yourself some money on moving expenses.

What is your ultimate goal anyway? Where do you want to be 5yrs from now? If you can answer these questions, it should make your choice fairly easy.

User avatar
DC_Patent_Law
Posts: 139
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:03 pm

Re: GW vs. University of San Diego

Postby DC_Patent_Law » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:37 am

I definitely want to be in the SoCal market. LA preferably, will a USD degree help me more for that than a GW degree in 5 years? How about making partner? I hear that a top tier school will be better for that?

SDPalmTree wrote:
DC_Patent_Law wrote:I've been wanting to go to Cali for about 3 years now but couldn't with the down economy.
...
Just how much will I be shooting myself in the foot if I go to USD instead?


I'd say that if your goal is practicing in California, you should go to USD. It's a great school, and pretty much the only law school worth mentioning in SD county. Moreover, with the Aerospace, Naval, and UCSD industries churning out patanable inventions, you shouldn't have any trouble finding someone willing to hire you once you get your JD and pass the bar. Also, a lot of San Diego firms would rather hire graduates out of USD than even other places in CA, much less a law school 3k miles away. That said, if you don't care about where you end up and just want to do patent law, then I'd say go to GW and save yourself some money on moving expenses.

What is your ultimate goal anyway? Where do you want to be 5yrs from now? If you can answer these questions, it should make your choice fairly easy.

jarofsoup
Posts: 1952
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: GW vs. University of San Diego

Postby jarofsoup » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:39 am

DC_Patent_Law wrote:I definitely want to be in the SoCal market. LA preferably, will a USD degree help me more for that than a GW degree in 5 years? How about making partner? I hear that a top tier school will be better for that?

SDPalmTree wrote:
DC_Patent_Law wrote:I've been wanting to go to Cali for about 3 years now but couldn't with the down economy.
...
Just how much will I be shooting myself in the foot if I go to USD instead?


I'd say that if your goal is practicing in California, you should go to USD. It's a great school, and pretty much the only law school worth mentioning in SD county. Moreover, with the Aerospace, Naval, and UCSD industries churning out patanable inventions, you shouldn't have any trouble finding someone willing to hire you once you get your JD and pass the bar. Also, a lot of San Diego firms would rather hire graduates out of USD than even other places in CA, much less a law school 3k miles away. That said, if you don't care about where you end up and just want to do patent law, then I'd say go to GW and save yourself some money on moving expenses.

What is your ultimate goal anyway? Where do you want to be 5yrs from now? If you can answer these questions, it should make your choice fairly easy.


Wont take you more pass OC. But Irvine will make that competitive

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: GW vs. University of San Diego

Postby dood » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:07 am

email UCSD and ask for a list of employers who interviewed on campus. not going to help u if the IP firms dont come to interview.

send me PM with ur email and i can send u GWs list if employers from 2011. i can assure u that u can get IP at CA big firm from GW. i 100% guarantee it. i cant say anything about ucsd bc i didnt go there.

User avatar
DC_Patent_Law
Posts: 139
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:03 pm

Re: GW vs. University of San Diego

Postby DC_Patent_Law » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:25 am

Thanks, just sent you a pm with my email.

dood wrote:email UCSD and ask for a list of employers who interviewed on campus. not going to help u if the IP firms dont come to interview.

send me PM with ur email and i can send u GWs list if employers from 2011. i can assure u that u can get IP at CA big firm from GW. i 100% guarantee it. i cant say anything about ucsd bc i didnt go there.

User avatar
DC_Patent_Law
Posts: 139
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:03 pm

Re: GW vs. University of San Diego

Postby DC_Patent_Law » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:04 am

Wow, almost an even split between USD and GW. I did not expect that, especially at this forum!

User avatar
DC_Patent_Law
Posts: 139
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:03 pm

Re: GW vs. University of San Diego

Postby DC_Patent_Law » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:10 am

SDPalmTree wrote:
DC_Patent_Law wrote:I've been wanting to go to Cali for about 3 years now but couldn't with the down economy.
...
Just how much will I be shooting myself in the foot if I go to USD instead?


I'd say that if your goal is practicing in California, you should go to USD. It's a great school, and pretty much the only law school worth mentioning in SD county. Moreover, with the Aerospace, Naval, and UCSD industries churning out patanable inventions, you shouldn't have any trouble finding someone willing to hire you once you get your JD and pass the bar. Also, a lot of San Diego firms would rather hire graduates out of USD than even other places in CA, much less a law school 3k miles away. That said, if you don't care about where you end up and just want to do patent law, then I'd say go to GW and save yourself some money on moving expenses.

What is your ultimate goal anyway? Where do you want to be 5yrs from now? If you can answer these questions, it should make your choice fairly easy.


I've heard that a lot, USD grads have a great lock on the SD market, at least that's what I hear from USD admins. Its very hard to project 5 years into the future but I've really wanted to move to SoCal for quite a while now. 5 years down I see myself doing patent prosecution, opening a patent boutique or going in-house with some tech company. USD might not be bad for that. Plus I think USD will be good for building contacts in SoCal.

jarofsoup
Posts: 1952
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: GW vs. University of San Diego

Postby jarofsoup » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:57 am

DC_Patent_Law wrote:
SDPalmTree wrote:
DC_Patent_Law wrote:I've been wanting to go to Cali for about 3 years now but couldn't with the down economy.
...
Just how much will I be shooting myself in the foot if I go to USD instead?


I'd say that if your goal is practicing in California, you should go to USD. It's a great school, and pretty much the only law school worth mentioning in SD county. Moreover, with the Aerospace, Naval, and UCSD industries churning out patanable inventions, you shouldn't have any trouble finding someone willing to hire you once you get your JD and pass the bar. Also, a lot of San Diego firms would rather hire graduates out of USD than even other places in CA, much less a law school 3k miles away. That said, if you don't care about where you end up and just want to do patent law, then I'd say go to GW and save yourself some money on moving expenses.

What is your ultimate goal anyway? Where do you want to be 5yrs from now? If you can answer these questions, it should make your choice fairly easy.


I've heard that a lot, USD grads have a great lock on the SD market, at least that's what I hear from USD admins. Its very hard to project 5 years into the future but I've really wanted to move to SoCal for quite a while now. 5 years down I see myself doing patent prosecution, opening a patent boutique or going in-house with some tech company. USD might not be bad for that. Plus I think USD will be good for building contacts in SoCal.


The admins are telling a bit of a white lie that USD has a lock on the SD market and the problem is not that "A lot of San Diego firms would rather hire graduates out of USD than 3k miles away"... the problem is USC and UCLA have a heavy lock on the SoCal market outside of SD and have strong inroads into SD.

The career services have been pushing students out of the SD market heavily and encouraging us to go to remote markets like Utah, Arizona, and South Dakota.

But it seems like you have your heart set on SD and I can understand that. Just know that the San Diego market is suffering and is small. Furthermore, it is really an old boys club and not having gone to state or UCSD you may not have the inroads you think.

Edit: I did know a USD alumni who was in house counsel of a Pharma company in the bay area, but he also had a PHD in Bio or something like that. The thing is that the market it rather small and I have no idea who a lot of these companies contract with for there patent work. I worked for a company in Northern California who had there patent work done in NYC.

User avatar
MormonChristian
Posts: 214
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:33 pm

Re: GW vs. University of San Diego

Postby MormonChristian » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:39 pm

DC_Patent_Law wrote:Just how much will I be shooting myself in the foot if I go to USD instead?



Just the toes.


Image

User avatar
SDPalmTree
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: GW vs. University of San Diego

Postby SDPalmTree » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:09 pm

jarofsoup wrote:The admins are telling a bit of a white lie that USD has a lock on the SD market and the problem is not that "A lot of San Diego firms would rather hire graduates out of USD than 3k miles away"... the problem is USC and UCLA have a heavy lock on the SoCal market outside of SD and have strong inroads into SD.

The career services have been pushing students out of the SD market heavily and encouraging us to go to remote markets like Utah, Arizona, and South Dakota.

But it seems like you have your heart set on SD and I can understand that. Just know that the San Diego market is suffering and is small. Furthermore, it is really an old boys club and not having gone to state or UCSD you may not have the inroads you think.

Edit: I did know a USD alumni who was in house counsel of a Pharma company in the bay area, but he also had a PHD in Bio or something like that. The thing is that the market it rather small and I have no idea who a lot of these companies contract with for there patent work. I worked for a company in Northern California who had there patent work done in NYC.


Keep in mind folks, this guy has "8 years in D.C. as a Patent Agent". He's not some fresh-faced grad just out of his BA. Assuming he does well (which he would need to do regardless of whichever school he goes to) his previous work experience will be a significant boost to finding work in SD or wherever other place.

So, my recommendation is to go to USD if that is indeed where you want to live.

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: GW vs. University of San Diego

Postby Danteshek » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:35 pm

Be a big boy and keep showing up to work at your nice high paying job in DC and go to GW part-time... I think you would be really dumb to go to USD on a lark just because you think it would be cool to live in the sun.

abc12345675
Posts: 373
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:27 am

Re: GW vs. University of San Diego

Postby abc12345675 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:38 pm

I'm beyond confused as to why this is a question.

OP wants to live in Southern California
OP has credentials that make him a near slam dunk for IP anyway

Why wouldn't he go to USD?

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: GW vs. University of San Diego

Postby sunynp » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:44 pm

What is the difference in cost if you include your firm helping to pay for it? I think GW at sticker is ridiculous, but you have a company paying for 40% of it, and you can stay where you are living already, maybe you should go to GW?

You realize that jobs are hard to find, so I would stay where I am if it isn't much more than USD.

jarofsoup
Posts: 1952
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Re: GW vs. University of San Diego

Postby jarofsoup » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:25 pm

DC_Patent_Law wrote: c) my firm will cover about 40% tuition as well if I go to GW.

Just how much will I be shooting myself in the foot if I go to USD instead?



I did not read this the first time around. You have an employer that will pay for you to go to law school???? I did not know this still happened. Stick with them for the love of god.

User avatar
DC_Patent_Law
Posts: 139
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:03 pm

Re: GW vs. University of San Diego

Postby DC_Patent_Law » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:06 pm

Good point. Many recruiters have already said that I'll be golden for IP in SoCal. Its just that San Diego is ranked at 67, GW is ranked at 20 (with its IP program ranked #3).

abc12345675 wrote:I'm beyond confused as to why this is a question.

OP wants to live in Southern California
OP has credentials that make him a near slam dunk for IP anyway

Why wouldn't he go to USD?

User avatar
DC_Patent_Law
Posts: 139
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:03 pm

Re: GW vs. University of San Diego

Postby DC_Patent_Law » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:07 pm

Yeah, the firm will pay for most of it. I've wanted to relocate to SoCal for a while, just wondering if going to GW will be a significant improvement to my resume for the longterm.

sunynp wrote:What is the difference in cost if you include your firm helping to pay for it? I think GW at sticker is ridiculous, but you have a company paying for 40% of it, and you can stay where you are living already, maybe you should go to GW?

You realize that jobs are hard to find, so I would stay where I am if it isn't much more than USD.

2012JayDee
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 10:49 pm

Re: GW vs. University of San Diego

Postby 2012JayDee » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:13 pm

DC_Patent_Law wrote:Good point. Many recruiters have already said that I'll be golden for IP in SoCal. Its just that San Diego is ranked at 67, GW is ranked at 20 (with its IP program ranked #3).

abc12345675 wrote:I'm beyond confused as to why this is a question.

OP wants to live in Southern California
OP has credentials that make him a near slam dunk for IP anyway

Why wouldn't he go to USD?



Do you know how they came up with this ranking?
I don't. I have no idea what criteria they use, but I'm skeptical that it will make even a small difference in your options coming out.

I can't imagine a scenario going something like this:

SoCal Employer: So I see you have an IP background.
DCPatentLaw: Yes, and experience, and I'm top ___ of my class.
SoCal Employer: But why didn't you go to GW Law, their program is ranked 40 places above SD?

Your employer paying 40% of your tuition is an interesting revelation and should weigh considerably on your decision. What's the math on that come out to be for each school? I assume you've calculated how much you'll pay at each school based on this.

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: GW vs. University of San Diego

Postby Big Shrimpin » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:33 pm

dood wrote:email UCSD and ask for a list of employers who interviewed on campus. not going to help u if the IP firms dont come to interview.

send me PM with ur email and i can send u GWs list if employers from 2011. i can assure u that u can get IP at CA big firm from GW. i 100% guarantee it. i cant say anything about ucsd bc i didnt go there.


As another former geedubber with a patent background, this is pretty credited. I got a handful of callbacks from Cali firms at GWs OCI with ZERO ties (ultimately got a bunch of offers on the east coast). That said, I was a transfer with a less than stellar 1L GPA and 0 years of patent WE. I don't see how the other school (UCSD or whatever that is) is a choice here, unless you absolutely cannot live in DC anymore. If that's the case, good luck rolling the dice and getting a fraction of the exposure to employers that you'll get at GWs OCI (for comparision, my T2 transferor school's OCI had 3 firms looking for patent people...GW had over 30, IIRC).

tl;dr, dood's advice is probably TCR, so long as you don't get shit 1L grades (which is probably an equal probability at either school...I'm not going to engage in a discussion/argument as to the relative parity between student-body quality at TTs/T20s, but in my experience, I didn't notice much of a difference, e.g., ended up in about the same portion of the class at both schools).

User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: GW vs. University of San Diego

Postby sunynp » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:57 pm

jarofsoup wrote:
DC_Patent_Law wrote: c) my firm will cover about 40% tuition as well if I go to GW.

Just how much will I be shooting myself in the foot if I go to USD instead?



I did not read this the first time around. You have an employer that will pay for you to go to law school???? I did not know this still happened. Stick with them for the love of god.

My thoughts exactly. OP should stay in his job, go to school at GW and then move to California. Going to California now just because he wants to live there is extremely foolish. The California economy is extremely shaky, it is not a paradise.

I can't recommend that anyone give up a good job like this just to go to USD...Possibly not even Harvard or Yale.....




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”