Showing too much interest on WL hurt your chances?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bingbang1025

Showing too much interest on WL hurt your chances?

Postby bingbang1025 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:25 pm

I'm on several waitlists and have been as proactive as anybody with LOCIs, visits, etc. I've made it very clear to one o the schools that I will definitely attend if admitted (multiple times).

Can this hurt me since the school will know that they can accept me even at the very last second and I'll still likely attend? E.g., they can spend their time on accepting candidates they're not so certain will accept? Everyone I've talked to who's gotten in has done less than I have...mind you, I've followed the WL directions exactly.

Also more simply, isn't it just human psychology to not want to admit someone who seems more "desperate"? (really hope I haven't come off this way..)

law2015

Re: Showing too much interest on WL hurt your chances?

Postby law2015 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:33 pm

To be honest I don't think that can be more of a detriment than helpful. If anything at this point in the cycle schools are looking to accept applicants who will likely matriculate. Don't worry about it.

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:34 pm

I honestly dont think they give two shits about LOCI's and school visits one way or another. I wouldn't worry about it

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:37 pm

there is always the chance that they wait a little longer knowing that you'd accept at the last minute, but it's far better than the alternative: not getting in at all. I really don't accept the whole psychological aspect.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:37 pm

Stating clearly that you will accept if admitted is the only thing that will really help your chances. Everything else is just nice.

Also, schools care about their WL yield more than anything else. I wouldn't be worried about it hurting your chances.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:55 pm

BTW, OP, I contacted NYU and NU around 5-8 times each. Then again, I think UChicago's starting to get pissed at me bugging them all the time.

bingbang1025

Postby bingbang1025 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:56 pm

I used to snicker to myself when I read neurotic, overthinking-things posts like this on TLS. Now I'm one of "them". God I suck.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:01 pm

When a school is looking to fill a newly open spot with a WL's candidate they're looking to fill the spot as quickly as possible and with someone they know will attend. Why on Earth would it hurt you to be available? You're not thinking this through.

You could go too far and make them worried that you're a serial killer or some obsessive freak if you write a whole bunch of LOCIs, visit multiple times, and desperately inform them every couple of weeks that you're still ready to attend and you've moved to the city already and you have a shrine in your closet with a statue of the school founder made out of hair you stole from admissions officers' shower drains.

But there's not two adcomms in leather jackets smoking cigarettes sitting on backwards chairs going "this guy would actually attend. what a nerd. let's accept this cool student who already withdrew to attend Yale. He's got that bad-boy streak and devil-may-care attitude that totally gets our rocks off."

bingbang1025

Postby bingbang1025 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:05 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:When a school is looking to fill a newly open spot with a WL's candidate they're looking to fill the spot as quickly as possible and with someone they know will attend. Why on Earth would it hurt you to be available? You're not thinking this through.

You could go too far and make them worried that you're a serial killer or some obsessive freak if you write a whole bunch of LOCIs, visit multiple times, and desperately inform them every couple of weeks that you're still ready to attend and you've moved to the city already and you have a shrine in your closet with a statue of the school founder made out of hair you stole from admissions officers' shower drains.

But there's not two adcomms in leather jackets smoking cigarettes sitting on backwards chairs going "this guy would actually attend. what a nerd. let's accept this cool student who already withdrew to attend Yale. He's got that bad-boy streak and devil-may-care attitude that totally gets our rocks off."

i lol'd

I guess it's true...can't hurt to let them know that I'm available and ready to attend. I've already done every conceivable thing imaginable...in part because my GPA is close to their 75th, but my LSAT is 2 points below their 25th :(. i go on LSN and i literally have the lowest stats of ANYONE they waitlisted. ANYONE. insane...but also tells me that they must hav eliked something about my application.
Last edited by bingbang1025 on Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:07 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:When a school is looking to fill a newly open spot with a WL's candidate they're looking to fill the spot as quickly as possible and with someone they know will attend. Why on Earth would it hurt you to be available? You're not thinking this through.

bro, when is that Dean Perry hair sample gonna get to me?

Burton8219

Postby Burton8219 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:36 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:BTW, OP, I contacted NYU and NU around 5-8 times each. Then again, I think UChicago's starting to get pissed at me bugging them all the time.

Are some of those times you contacted them simply saying you'd accept if they offered admission? I was always under the assumption that you should send a LOCI every month or so and the only time you should contact the schools otherwise is when you have new info for them, but your way got you into some incredible schools so maybe I should take notes haha

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”