June LSAT - for accepted students

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sequins

June LSAT - for accepted students

Postby sequins » Sat May 19, 2012 7:19 am

I've already signed up for the June LSAT (was originally gonna use it in getting off waitlists - esp. since I kinda took my last LSAT last minute without much preparing) But already got onto the schools I wanted and no longer really need it. Just wondering - is it still worth preparing and taking - or should I just try to get a refund. The main reason I'd have left to take it is to hopefully get a higher score and leverage a higher scholarship. So question is, will schools offer a higher scholarship in July - after everything is else is wrapped up already anyway - if I manage to get a substantially higher score?

Scotusnerd

Re: June LSAT - for accepted students

Postby Scotusnerd » Sat May 19, 2012 9:18 am

I'm going to assume that you've sent in your seat deposit.

I'm not sure you'd be in the best position to negotiate. "Hey guys, I know you already accepted me, but I'd like more money because I just got a higher score!" It MIGHT work...if you're nice, and they happen to have money. But they already have your signature on that piece of paper that means you're coming.

So I guess my answer is 'yes, you might get something, but don't count on it'. Can't hurt to ask!

Elendil

Postby Elendil » Sat May 19, 2012 12:28 pm

sequins wrote:I've already signed up for the June LSAT (was originally gonna use it in getting off waitlists - esp. since I kinda took my last LSAT last minute without much preparing) But already got onto the schools I wanted and no longer really need it. Just wondering - is it still worth preparing and taking - or should I just try to get a refund. The main reason I'd have left to take it is to hopefully get a higher score and leverage a higher scholarship. So question is, will schools offer a higher scholarship in July - after everything is else is wrapped up already anyway - if I manage to get a substantially higher score?

I think the risk here outweighes the potential benefits... if you're already accepted (and accepted off the waitlist), I think that if you do poorly, it could really come back to bite you.

gravityrides0

Postby gravityrides0 » Sat May 19, 2012 4:21 pm

Do they give refunds?

I'd say that if you have the time/money to prepare and are very confident that your score will be higher, why not? but if you think it's possible you could score the same or not high enough to get any leverage, don't waste your time. Maybe talk to someone at the school about the possibility of $ before making any sacrifices for the LSAT...

Nammertat

Postby Nammertat » Mon May 21, 2012 7:04 pm

Elendil wrote:
sequins wrote:I've already signed up for the June LSAT (was originally gonna use it in getting off waitlists - esp. since I kinda took my last LSAT last minute without much preparing) But already got onto the schools I wanted and no longer really need it. Just wondering - is it still worth preparing and taking - or should I just try to get a refund. The main reason I'd have left to take it is to hopefully get a higher score and leverage a higher scholarship. So question is, will schools offer a higher scholarship in July - after everything is else is wrapped up already anyway - if I manage to get a substantially higher score?

I think the risk here outweighes the potential benefits... if you're already accepted (and accepted off the waitlist), I think that if you do poorly, it could really come back to bite you.

This is completely absurd... they're simply not going to revoke an offer because you did poor on a test after they made it. Once you're accepted, there is no downside to retaking.

I would think that retaking in June COULD yield some $$ if you have significant improvement and position it as you're considering waiting a year and re-applying for financial reasons based on this new score.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Mon May 21, 2012 7:11 pm

depends on the school, I know for a fact that at least one does. I was in the same boat last year. I had deposited at a school, but opted to retake in June. If you improve nominally, then they might give you more money, and if you improve greatly, then you can reapply.

BuckinghamB

Postby BuckinghamB » Tue May 22, 2012 8:40 pm

Elendil wrote:

Yeah, I agree with the above poster that this is entirely wrong. If you're already accepted, it takes quite a bit to have that offer rescinded (read: failing several courses, trouble with the law, etc.). There is no way they would rescind if you did worse on the LSAT. You literally have nothing to lose besides the $160 or whatever if you're already accepted to a school you would be happy attending. However, if you are still waitlisted and not accepted yet, then scoring worse could potentially hurt you. HTH

confusedlaw

Postby confusedlaw » Tue May 22, 2012 10:09 pm

just take it, if you do much better, the school you deposited out will make you a larger scholly offer, this happened to me last summer, do it

sequins

Postby sequins » Wed May 23, 2012 12:13 am

Thanks. Yea already got into the school I wanted but wanted to see if anyone had any experience getting higher schollys. Cuz if not I'd rather not waste money/time/effort. But guess this means i should study

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Thu May 24, 2012 8:43 am

What do they look at for transferring to a better school? If I am attending a school in 1L and retake the LSAT in Oct, will that help in transferring?

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Thu May 24, 2012 10:06 am

jim-green wrote:What do they look at for transferring to a better school? If I am attending a school in 1L and retake the LSAT in Oct, will that help in transferring?

No. But if you want to retake the LSAT in order to transfer, then you might as well just study and retake the lsat without going to law school this year. It is WELL worth it IMO. I was admitted to a TTTT last year with a small scholarship after getting a 155 on the October 2010 test, but I studied really hard for retakes this past June and October. Now, I'm going to a T25 with a huge scholarship. Many, many people on this site have sat out for a retake, and none regret it.

Elendil

Postby Elendil » Thu May 24, 2012 10:56 am

Sorry if my post was "completely absurd." I still stand by my opinion, but carry on.

user1212

Postby user1212 » Fri May 25, 2012 9:43 am

Accepted off the waitlist about a month ago to my number one school, but i am still retaking the LSAT in June. I've spent too much studying at this point not to take it and I think it can only help. Also, you only get a partial refund if you cancel your registration so it's not even like you will be saving all your money by not taking it...I have talked to several people who did this last year -- some of whom it helped, others it had no effect... may as well just go for it, in my opinion. You've got nothing to lose.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri May 25, 2012 9:49 am

OP: If you're willing to prepare for the June sitting, then take it. If too busy to study, and you're happy with your BC scholarship, then enjoy your time before starting in the Fall.

Since you scored a 167 on your first attempt without much preparation, it seems likely that you could break into the 170s with serious preparation. If this occurs, then consider sitting out a year & reapplying if you don't get an increased scholarship.

sequins

Postby sequins » Fri May 25, 2012 12:10 pm

Umm how did u know I had bc scholarship? And not going there - going to USC

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri May 25, 2012 12:22 pm

sequins wrote:Umm how did u know I had bc scholarship? And not going there - going to USC

sequins wrote:I got into bc with scholly with same LSAT and lower gpa and wl at bu

jim-green

Postby jim-green » Fri May 25, 2012 12:29 pm

If I were 167 first attempt without much prep, I would definitely retake for 175 easy. I scored 165 first attempt after 1 yr study. Then 170 next time after another 6 months study. Obviously my plateau.

CanadianWolf wrote:OP: If you're willing to prepare for the June sitting, then take it. If too busy to study, and you're happy with your BC scholarship, then enjoy your time before starting in the Fall.

Since you scored a 167 on your first attempt without much preparation, it seems likely that you could break into the 170s with serious preparation. If this occurs, then consider sitting out a year & reapplying if you don't get an increased scholarship.

sequins

Postby sequins » Fri May 25, 2012 2:56 pm

Lol that was from different thread too - I'm amazed haha
Well I want ca, and preferably la so USC fits my preferences perfectly So dont think I'd reapply since I don't think there'd be any other schools I'd wanna go to besides t6+cal and my gpa will probably shut me out of those.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”