How to ask for a deferral?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
quidprobono

How to ask for a deferral?

Postby quidprobono » Fri May 18, 2012 11:20 am

I'd like to defer for a year. Beyond writing a letter to the admissions office explaining my request, does anyone have any advice?

rinkrat19

Re: How to ask for a deferral?

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri May 18, 2012 11:21 am

Call the office and ask what they want. Some schools may require you to pay a seat deposit for this year first. (NU did.)

calverna

Postby calverna » Fri May 18, 2012 11:27 am

rinkrat19 wrote:Call the office and ask what they want. Some schools may require you to pay a seat deposit for this year first. (NU did.)

This.

Some schools want to see very specific information in a request (plans for what you will be doing, etc). Call and ask what their decision criteria are.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri May 18, 2012 11:30 am

Don't all law schools require a seat deposit in order to be eligible for a deferral ?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri May 18, 2012 11:33 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Don't all law schools require a seat deposit in order to be eligible for a deferral ?

No idea. By this point in the cycle, a person has likely already paid a deposit anyway, because otherwise they would have given up their spot in the class.

I had to pay a deposit even though I asked for my deferral 4 months before the seat deposit deadline, and I really don't understand why. If I hadn't been granted the deferral, I would have been out $750, because I wasn't going to matriculate last year. I can see requiring a deposit immediately upon approval of the request, but why before?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”