Reporting in: UIUC waitlist

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
aspenex

Re: Reporting in: UIUC waitlist

Postby aspenex » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:31 pm

So I guess 'several offers' means like 4 people accepted off the WL or what.....I expected to see at least a little movement on TLS and LSN

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:19 pm

aspenex wrote:So I guess 'several offers' means like 4 people accepted off the WL or what.....I expected to see at least a little movement on TLS and LSN

Not hearing anything this week really crushed any hope I have left... spending a night in Chicago just reminded me how much I want to stay in this region, maybe one of the lesser ranked Chicago school would accept me. But meh, I'd love to go to U of I and stay in BIGTEN.

RCJH

Postby RCJH » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:30 am

aspenex wrote:So I guess 'several offers' means like 4 people accepted off the WL or what.....I expected to see at least a little movement on TLS and LSN

I wouldn't freak out JUST yet. She sent that last email out on a Wednesday.
I was thinking that 2 days was not enough time for everyone to respond to the email. I bet there is some movement this week.

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:14 pm

On the plus side, one more withdraw on LSN, good news for us.

tlahood

Postby tlahood » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:16 pm

kyle010723 wrote:On the plus side, one more withdraw on LSN, good news for us.

Lol. I thought I was pretty hardcore about the UIUC wailist, but you most definetely have me beat.

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:57 pm

Soo... Anyone hear anything...?

brotoss

Postby brotoss » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:44 pm

Nope...I want to know how many people are actually on the WL, so if we actually have a shot or if we're 1 out of like 1000 because there aren't many rejections on LSN.

ashen

Postby ashen » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:16 pm

brotoss wrote:Nope...I want to know how many people are actually on the WL, so if we actually have a shot or if we're 1 out of like 1000 because there aren't many rejections on LSN.

my guess is around 300?
this is a completely wild and uneducated guess but it seems about right to me. :idea:

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:18 pm

brotoss wrote:Nope...I want to know how many people are actually on the WL, so if we actually have a shot or if we're 1 out of like 1000 because there aren't many rejections on LSN.

I think you might be able to call and ask how many people are on the waitlist, they just wouldn't tell you if you have any shot of getting in.

diegoforlan10

Postby diegoforlan10 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:26 pm

ashen wrote:

my guess is around 300?
this is a completely wild and uneducated guess but it seems about right to me. :idea:

That sounds like WAY too big of a number. The entire class of 2015 will be ~240 people.

Of course, I have no idea what the real number is but my guess would 50 people tops.

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:28 pm

ashen wrote:my guess is around 300?

I hope Illinois is not pulling a no rejection all waitlist stunt like some other school do.

peet

Postby peet » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:24 pm

kyle010723 wrote:

I think you might be able to call and ask how many people are on the waitlist, they just wouldn't tell you if you have any shot of getting in.

I'm kinda curious myself...Any volunteers out there? :)

brotoss

Postby brotoss » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:58 pm

Of course, I have no idea what the real number is but my guess would 50 people tops.

I hope you're right

I hope Illinois is not pulling a no rejection all waitlist stunt like some other school do.

I dont think this is the case. But there are only like 3 reported rejections on LSN, while at peer schools is seems there are a lot more rejections. I'm not making any assumptions because I don't want to jinx it lol

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:12 pm

*insert positive thinking* Judging by the fact that the survey Director Carroll sent out last week is still available, maybe they are waiting till the survey is closed.

timetopretend

Postby timetopretend » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:55 pm

kyle010723 wrote:*insert positive thinking* Judging by the fact that the survey Director Carroll sent out last week is still available, maybe they are waiting till the survey is closed.

Agreed! Love your optimism!

brotoss

Postby brotoss » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:12 pm

Optimism: The WL count is lower. Survey response rate is relatively low, so they're keeping it open for the rest

Pessimism: The WL count is higher. Survey response was high so it doesnt matter if they close it

or, someone forgot to close it or they DGAF

tmon

Postby tmon » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:15 pm

kyle010723 wrote:Here's an idea for LOCI

Dear Director Carroll,

Hey, I'm still waiting
And this is crazy
But you have my number
So call me maybe?

Sincerely,

Wishful Applicant

lulz. I've picked you as the person I'm rooting for based solely on this.

peet

Postby peet » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:20 pm

brotoss wrote:Optimism: The WL count is lower. Survey response rate is relatively low, so they're keeping it open for the rest

Pessimism: The WL count is higher. Survey response was high so it doesnt matter if they close it

or, someone forgot to close it or they DGAF

Realism: Somewhere in between. While there are relatively few Rejections on LSN, Dean Carroll said there will be several ppl pulled off the WL this week, and I doubt she is going to flat out lie after everything UIUC has been through over the past year.

... my hope is that at least a few of us are on that list of acceptances this week!!

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:16 pm

As a completely hopeless engineer, I can't help but to do some extremely non-scientific calculation with extremely high possibility of inaccuracy and error.

Last year, there were 4200 applicants, this year, LSAC is calling for a 10% or more decrease across the board, so we will asume there are about 3800 total applicants this year.

According to LSN, there were about 45 waitlisted out of the total of 300 applicants, so that is about 15%. (Granted, LSN is a limited sample size and most likely do not reflect the actual applicant pool)

By using the estimated 3800 applicants, 15% of the total applicant would be 570, so we will assume about 570 applicants are on the waitlist.

Using the UIUC profile from TLS, which states "About [5% to 15%] of the class comes from the waitlist each year," consider the extremely high withdrawal rate on LSN and the so called scandal, we will use the high side of 15%. Director Carroll mentioned in her post earlier that they are aiming for a class of 240. 15% of 240 is 36 people.

So ignoring all factors and numbers, pure statistical likelihood for any waitlist applicant to get off waitlist is roughly about 36 / 570 * 100 = 6.32%

Therefore, using number calculated, as well as educated guess, I am going to say the 570 waitlisted applicant is on the high side as LSN usually represent applicant with higher numbers; and the 15% class of waitlist is on the low side with all the withdrawal we've seen on LSN. Taking into account that if you are browsing TLS, that most likely means you have an above average number, I am going to adjust the probability of accepted off waitlist to 7% and perhaps 8%.

I rest my case now that I know I did not completely wasted my time on an engineering degree.

timetopretend

Postby timetopretend » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:37 pm

kyle010723 wrote:As a completely hopeless engineer, I can't help but to do some extremely non-scientific calculation with extremely high possibility of inaccuracy and error.

Last year, there were 4200 applicants, this year, LSAC is calling for a 10% or more decrease across the board, so we will asume there are about 3800 total applicants this year.

According to LSN, there were about 45 waitlisted out of the total of 300 applicants, so that is about 15%. (Granted, LSN is a limited sample size and most likely do not reflect the actual applicant pool)

By using the estimated 3800 applicants, 15% of the total applicant would be 570, so we will assume about 570 applicants are on the waitlist.

Using the UIUC profile from TLS, which states "About [5% to 15%] of the class comes from the waitlist each year," consider the extremely high withdrawal rate on LSN and the so called scandal, we will use the high side of 15%. Director Carroll mentioned in her post earlier that they are aiming for a class of 240. 15% of 240 is 36 people.

So ignoring all factors and numbers, pure statistical likelihood for any waitlist applicant to get off waitlist is roughly about 36 / 570 * 100 = 6.32%

Therefore, using number calculated, as well as educated guess, I am going to say the 570 waitlisted applicant is on the high side as LSN usually represent applicant with higher numbers; and the 15% class of waitlist is on the low side with all the withdrawal we've seen on LSN. Taking into account that if you are browsing TLS, that most likely means you have an above average number, I am going to adjust the probability of accepted off waitlist to 7% and perhaps 8%.

I rest my case now that I know I did not completely wasted my time on an engineering degree.

--->To quote the epic work of cinema that is Dumb and Dumber: "...SO YOU'RE TELLIN' ME THERE'S A CHANCE!":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5jNnDMfxA

peet

Postby peet » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:51 pm

kyle010723 wrote:As a completely hopeless engineer, I can't help but to do some extremely non-scientific calculation with extremely high possibility of inaccuracy and error.

Good analysis. Hopefully, we may have a bit of a better chance because there was a huge dropoff of Applicants from last year to this year, according to LSN. So for UIUC, maybe the decrease is closer to 20%

Also, the likelihood of getting pulled off the waitlist may be a little higher than 6.32% because not everyone that gets off the Waitlist will ultimately Accept... It may be that 50 people get pulled off and 36 actually accept, for example.

nshapkar

Postby nshapkar » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:04 pm

mattviphky wrote:
Philipsssssss wrote:I was rejected last year and accepted this year. Don't loose hope.

same here. I didn't even get waitlisted last year. I hope you guys get in, but if it doesn't happen, you can always retake and reapply. For me, it was definitely worth it. Good luck!

Same exact thing happened to me last year, straight rejection. Best of luck to you guys, but if it doesn't work out and you really want to go retaking and reapplying isn't as bad as it sounds.

aykim2188

Postby aykim2188 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:18 pm

As stated above..there is a chance! :]

ashen

Postby ashen » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:28 am

Waitlist-Schmaitlist... :?

Just registered for the October LSAT administration (an hour ago) and will be sitting for the test at Northwestern Law. Won't be getting in unless I score mid 170s and get some WE but taking the test at a T14 school might serve as inspiration and motivation to score higher 8)

Now just praying that I'm in that "8%" that gets admitted so I can get a partial refund for registering for the LSAT haha...

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:02 pm

Speaking of statistic, I heard these words of wisdom during an ASD at another school,

"Ninety percent of you will not be the top ten percent of your class."

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”