University of Minnesota $$$ VS University of Virginia 2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

University of Minnesota $$$ VS University of Virginia 2013

U of MN 2012
45%
UVA 2013
55%

Total votes: 80

whatismylife

Bronze

Re: University of Minnesota $$$ VS University of Virginia 2013

Post by whatismylife » Mon May 14, 2012 12:50 pm

Thanks to everyone for the input so far!! It sounds like the general consensus is that UVA is worth waiting an additional year for, being away from the SO, and probably taking on close to a quarter mill in debt because of the increased job prospects/portability/and my desire for East Coast/hopefully Biglaw?

IHeartPhilly

New

Post by IHeartPhilly » Mon May 14, 2012 12:50 pm

whatismylife wrote:With my numbers, it's amazing that they want me at all and it's always been my dream to go to a T14
Irrelevant to your quesion but out of curiosity, can you give a ballpark of your numbers?? congrats on the acceptance!

whatismylife

Bronze

Post by whatismylife » Mon May 14, 2012 12:51 pm

IHeartPhilly wrote:
whatismylife wrote:With my numbers, it's amazing that they want me at all and it's always been my dream to go to a T14
Irrelevant to your quesion but out of curiosity, can you give a ballpark of your numbers?? congrats on the acceptance!
On my profile but 170 and 3.3
As you can see: It's a freaking miracle to even have the option of UVA

togepi

Silver

Post by togepi » Mon May 14, 2012 12:52 pm

I'm going to keep this as objective as possible, because I'll be forever alone :)

I would take UVA hands down. Ask yourself this question: If he proposed to you tomorrow, what would you say? If the answer is no, then honestly re-evaluate your relationship and if you don't think you can marry him then defer and go to UVA next year. The job opportunities would be way better, along with the weather. There's a chance that while in law school you could break up, and that would just be plain awful.

You can use this year to relax, maybe get an English teaching job abroad (currently doing that in South Korea) and sign a year contract and make a little dough and have something cool to talk about during interviews. I don't know this guy, but unless he's hung like Seabiscuit, take the opportunity that many people would kick a pregnant dog for.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon May 14, 2012 12:57 pm

whatismylife wrote:It's a freaking miracle to even have the option of UVA
With those numbers, not really. You had a pretty good shot had you ED'd early in the cycle.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon May 14, 2012 12:58 pm

whatismylife wrote:Thanks to everyone for the input so far!! It sounds like the general consensus is that UVA is worth waiting an additional year for, being away from the SO, and probably taking on close to a quarter mill in debt because of the increased job prospects/portability/and my desire for East Coast/hopefully Biglaw?
You and your SO are screwed if you go to UVA. HTH.

togepi

Silver

Post by togepi » Mon May 14, 2012 1:00 pm

rad lulz wrote:
whatismylife wrote:Thanks to everyone for the input so far!! It sounds like the general consensus is that UVA is worth waiting an additional year for, being away from the SO, and probably taking on close to a quarter mill in debt because of the increased job prospects/portability/and my desire for East Coast/hopefully Biglaw?
literally screwed...by other people. A 90 lb half Asian girl could get tossed around like a beach ball at a Nickelback concert if she wanted to while in law school.

Ohiobumpkin

Silver

Post by Ohiobumpkin » Mon May 14, 2012 1:16 pm

togepi wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
literally screwed...by other people. A 90 lb half Asian girl could get tossed around like a beach ball at a Nickelback concert if she wanted to while in law school.
Or eaten alive at a Metallica concert, lol.

Hate to be the romantic here among a den of would-be-attorneys, but I think your SO is the key here. If this is somebody you would like to spend your life with, or would have a hard time living w/o them emotionally, then I would say do MN. If not and this SO is basically an über boy toy, then go UVA and do something neat over the course of a year off. A law degree from UVA could really open a lot of doors professionally, and you're bound to find other SOs at UVA as well. BTW, where do you want to work and what kind of law do you want to practice? Personally being a romantic myself and debt averse, I would do MN, but this is your life. Best of luck with making your decision!

whatismylife

Bronze

Post by whatismylife » Mon May 14, 2012 2:15 pm

Ohiobumpkin wrote:
togepi wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Or eaten alive at a Metallica concert, lol.

Hate to be the romantic here among a den of would-be-attorneys, but I think your SO is the key here. If this is somebody you would like to spend your life with, or would have a hard time living w/o them emotionally, then I would say do MN. If not and this SO is basically an über boy toy, then go UVA and do something neat over the course of a year off. A law degree from UVA could really open a lot of doors professionally, and you're bound to find other SOs at UVA as well. BTW, where do you want to work and what kind of law do you want to practice? Personally being a romantic myself and debt averse, I would do MN, but this is your life. Best of luck with making your decision!
Thanks!! I'm having difficulty even bringing up the topic to him...everything is so set for MN with the apt and all, and he is super excited that we were able to get into the same school.
I dunno if I could spend my life with him, but do not have any desire to break up! Being w/o him will undoubtedly be difficult...at the same time I don't want to regret settling for UMN if we end up breaking up some day, or resent him for holding me back or w/e cuz that's totally unfair.

To answer your question, I'd like to work out east somewhere like NYC, DC, Boston, area. Maybe even Virginia if I like it enough (have never been there). I'm not Biglaw or bust but will try for Biglaw as that's my dream.

Aghhhhh soooo difficultttt

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bobbyh1919

Silver

Post by bobbyh1919 » Mon May 14, 2012 2:28 pm

I'll be in the UVA C/O 2016 and you should too.

But like others have said, it really depends on the SO. Does he want to get out of MN as well? Could he conceivably retake and ED UVA? (TLS would love that) It sounds like you guys had a great situation going, but maybe you can think outside the box and find a way for him to join you in Virginia next year.

togepi

Silver

Post by togepi » Mon May 14, 2012 2:31 pm

bobbyh1919 wrote:I'll be in the UVA C/O 2016 and you should too.

But like others have said, it really depends on the SO. Does he want to get out of MN as well? Could he conceivably retake and ED UVA? (TLS would love that) It sounds like you guys had a great situation going, but maybe you can think outside the box and find a way for him to join you in Virginia next year.
You could go to UVA and tell him "If you really love me, finish 1L in the top 5% and transfer here."

roaringeagle

Bronze

Post by roaringeagle » Mon May 14, 2012 2:31 pm

Enjoy UMN. They offered me 139k but I turned them down for WUSTL where I have a similar scholarship.

Background on me-I took the LSAT 4 years ago and got a 167. I skipped around 8-9 answers on LR Games. I feel that had I read the Powerscore LR Bible I probs could have pulled off a 173-174. My back kept me from going to law school 4 years ago. I have ruptured discs among other back problems that required surgery and the pain was horrible even after the surgery. Pain pills and other drugs+pain clouded my thinking. I have since had another surgery and tons of physical therapy, no drugs and I feel like a pitbull in heat. Could I wait a year, retake and score T14+$$$$? Maybe. However, my gut says to me start now. Follow your gut instinct.

bobbyh1919

Silver

Post by bobbyh1919 » Mon May 14, 2012 2:37 pm

togepi wrote:

You could go to UVA and tell him "If you really love me, finish 1L in the top 5% and transfer here."
Haha TCR.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

whatismylife

Bronze

Post by whatismylife » Mon May 14, 2012 2:37 pm

togepi wrote:

:D that would be ideal but extremely difficult

whatismylife

Bronze

Post by whatismylife » Mon May 14, 2012 2:45 pm

He wants MN..has been him dream school.

guinness1547

Silver

Post by guinness1547 » Mon May 14, 2012 2:46 pm

If you're not completely sure that you want to marry/spend the rest of your life with someone, then they have no place even being part of the consideration for a life decision of this magnitude. Take them entirely out of the equation and then decide.

whatismylife

Bronze

Post by whatismylife » Mon May 14, 2012 3:12 pm

guinness1547 wrote:If you're not completely sure that you want to marry/spend the rest of your life with someone, then they have no place even being part of the consideration for a life decision of this magnitude. Take them entirely out of the equation and then decide.
I agree...can you break the news to my SO for me then please? I can't bring myself to do it :(

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

togepi

Silver

Post by togepi » Mon May 14, 2012 3:14 pm

whatismylife wrote:
guinness1547 wrote:If you're not completely sure that you want to marry/spend the rest of your life with someone, then they have no place even being part of the consideration for a life decision of this magnitude. Take them entirely out of the equation and then decide.
I agree...can you break the news to my SO for me then please? I can't bring myself to do it :(
Just text him and say "T-14 or bust! haha just kidding...but no really we need to break up"

or

"I'm buying you a T-shirt that says 'My girlfriend chose UVA Law over me.' so yeah...about that"

whatismylife

Bronze

Post by whatismylife » Mon May 14, 2012 3:20 pm

togepi wrote:
whatismylife wrote:
Just text him and say "T-14 or bust! haha just kidding...but no really we need to break up"

or

"I'm buying you a T-shirt that says 'My girlfriend chose UVA Law over me.' so yeah...about that"
Togepi! You're not supposed to make me laugh! :cry: :lol: :cry: :lol: :cry:

aykim2188

New

Post by aykim2188 » Mon May 14, 2012 3:25 pm

This isn't as complex as you're making it out to be. I don't even know why you'd need other people's opinions on this. If you love him stay. If you don't than leave. Only you know how you feel about him. Considering how unsure you are I am going to assume you don't love him. So leave.

ryemanhattan

Bronze

Post by ryemanhattan » Mon May 14, 2012 3:31 pm

Tough call.

This is the sort of question that you really have to work out on your own. $40k debt from Minn is a great situation. But if you know you do not want to live and work there after law school it is not as solid an option as UVA, even with 220k debt.

The SO thing complicates things, but only you can say by how much. You're relationship will certainly not survive your decision to go to UVA. However, if you have any doubt that it will survive the next three years of law school in Minn, then you really need to make this decision w/out him in mind.

FYI, I'll be starting at UVA in 2013, and couldn't be happier. But an extra $180k debt is monstrous, and if I had a comparable option to Minn w/ $40k total debt I would definitely be considering it, SO or no.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tamlyric

Silver

Post by tamlyric » Mon May 14, 2012 3:41 pm

Have you asked MN for more money? Cost of living? Does the BF know about this opportunity? Are you sure he wouldn't tell you to go? Putting aside these questions, here's my .02.

Anyone who says that choosing UVA over UMN is a no brainer has been brainwashed. It depends on your circumstances. And that's if the money's even. UVA over UMN where the former is sticker and the latter is ... next to nothing? I think that's a close call even if you don't have strong personal reasons for going to UMN. But, of course, you do have those reasons. You said in one post that you're worried about resenting him if you don't end up married. Maybe. On the other hand, how are you going to feel if you flame out of UVA -- or, much more likely, just land in the bottom half of the class -- and are left with nothing? People matter more than prestige. Sacrificing the former for latter is not a good bet if you want to have a happy life, UNLESS you're damn sure you're OK without them in your life.

togepi

Silver

Post by togepi » Mon May 14, 2012 3:58 pm

whatismylife wrote:
togepi wrote:
whatismylife wrote:

or

Togepi! You're not supposed to make me laugh! :cry: :lol: :cry: :lol: :cry:
Sorry, just trying to cheer you up!

I guess what you really need to ask yourself is if you'd be happier in the long run with a good job, or with the chance of a good job and maybe a mediocre one and your SO. If you're more career oriented then definitely UVA, but if you think he's worth it, you've only got a small debt to pay to find out.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Mon May 14, 2012 4:47 pm

whatismylife wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:
whatismylife wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:Minnesota is TCR unless the idea of working in Minnesota is out of the question
It's not out of the question, but the winters are unbearable for me (I'm 100lb half-asian girl). I did my UG here and was really looking forward to getting out of Minny, but the SO got in and it became the best option. I guess I can stick it out for 3 years in lawl school if needed but would do everything I can to get out once I graduate.
Then you need to go to UVA. This isn't even an option.
Hmmm when I went to ASW, it sounded like quite a few grads had jobs lined up on the coasts though?
LOL

Seriously, unless this is the man you want to marry (in 10 years) go to UVA, and I dont think its close

rwhyAn

Bronze

Post by rwhyAn » Mon May 14, 2012 4:48 pm

tamlyric wrote:Have you asked MN for more money? Cost of living? Does the BF know about this opportunity? Are you sure he wouldn't tell you to go? Putting aside these questions, here's my .02.

Anyone who says that choosing UVA over UMN is a no brainer has been brainwashed. It depends on your circumstances. And that's if the money's even. UVA over UMN where the former is sticker and the latter is ... next to nothing? I think that's a close call even if you don't have strong personal reasons for going to UMN. But, of course, you do have those reasons. You said in one post that you're worried about resenting him if you don't end up married. Maybe. On the other hand, how are you going to feel if you flame out of UVA -- or, much more likely, just land in the bottom half of the class -- and are left with nothing? People matter more than prestige. Sacrificing the former for latter is not a good bet if you want to have a happy life, UNLESS you're damn sure you're OK without them in your life.
+1,000,000

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”