University of Minnesota $$$ VS University of Virginia 2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

University of Minnesota $$$ VS University of Virginia 2013

U of MN 2012
45%
UVA 2013
55%

Total votes: 80

whatismylife

Bronze

Re: University of Minnesota $$$ VS University of Virginia 2013

Post by whatismylife » Fri May 18, 2012 10:45 am

Samara wrote:
FastLife wrote:
whatismylife wrote:
masked kavana wrote:I think saying hella may give you away a bit more :)
Oh shit does no one say "hella" anymore? I was also recently informed that no one says "awesome" anymore either.

Someone needs to educate me on these things asap
Hella is regional to Northern California and the Pacific Northwest. I (and everyone else) am guessing that you're from one of these places.
Or to No Doubt fans.
Nope I'm from Minnesota :P but I do like No Doubt!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri May 18, 2012 11:44 am

Although others write that Minnesota is non-negotiable regarding scholarship awards, I wouldn't be surprised if you receive an increased scholarship offer after you withdraw to attend Virginia. (Minnesota is having difficulty getting applicants to commit this year according to a law professor who monitors law school admissions & placement.)

whatismylife

Bronze

Post by whatismylife » Tue May 22, 2012 4:06 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Although others write that Minnesota is non-negotiable regarding scholarship awards, I wouldn't be surprised if you receive an increased scholarship offer after you withdraw to attend Virginia. (Minnesota is having difficulty getting applicants to commit this year according to a law professor who monitors law school admissions & placement.)
IT WORKED! UMN increased my scholly substantially! Have to withdraw from UVA by tomorrow at 4pm to receive it though. aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh *head explodes*

Ohiobumpkin

Silver

Post by Ohiobumpkin » Tue May 22, 2012 4:45 pm

whatismylife wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Although others write that Minnesota is non-negotiable regarding scholarship awards, I wouldn't be surprised if you receive an increased scholarship offer after you withdraw to attend Virginia. (Minnesota is having difficulty getting applicants to commit this year according to a law professor who monitors law school admissions & placement.)
IT WORKED! UMN increased my scholly substantially! Have to withdraw from UVA by tomorrow at 4pm to receive it though. aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh *head explodes*
Congrats! Enjoy!

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Tue May 22, 2012 4:53 pm

whatismylife wrote:
I'm a born and raised Minnesotan as well, and I ran into a very similar dilemma. UMN offered me nearly a full ride, but I got in at sticker to a bunch of lesser T14s. Like you, I wanted to work in MN and also wanted to work in Biglaw.

Here's what you have to decide. If you go to UMN, you have to go knowing that you're kissing biglaw goodbye. That's not necessarily a bad thing, you'll still probably get a good job in MN and hey, no debt.

If you got UVA at sticker, you will have a good shot at getting biglaw, and you can probably even take it back to Minnesota. But you'll probably have to do NYC / DC biglaw for a few years first to pay off your loans.

There's no wrong answer here. Just try and think about which would make you happier 10 years down the line. Would you feel like you settled at MN? Or would you be happy you didn't take on the risk of UVA debt?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

whatismylife

Bronze

Post by whatismylife » Tue May 22, 2012 4:58 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:
whatismylife wrote:
I'm a born and raised Minnesotan as well, and I ran into a very similar dilemma. UMN offered me nearly a full ride, but I got in at sticker to a bunch of lesser T14s. Like you, I wanted to work in MN and also wanted to work in Biglaw.

Here's what you have to decide. If you go to UMN, you have to go knowing that you're kissing biglaw goodbye. That's not necessarily a bad thing, you'll still probably get a good job in MN and hey, no debt.

If you got UVA at sticker, you will have a good shot at getting biglaw, and you can probably even take it back to Minnesota. But you'll probably have to do NYC / DC biglaw for a few years first to pay off your loans.

There's no wrong answer here. Just try and think about which would make you happier 10 years down the line. Would you feel like you settled at MN? Or would you be happy you didn't take on the risk of UVA debt?
Hey thanks rickgrimes! Just wondering, which did you go with??? Did you choose MN???

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Tue May 22, 2012 5:06 pm

whatismylife wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:
whatismylife wrote:

Hey thanks rickgrimes! Just wondering, which did you go with??? Did you choose MN???
Nope, I ended up getting a partial scholly from Duke and went with them. But if it had stayed a decision b/w UMN with $$$$ and a lesser T14 at sticker, I'm honestly not sure what I would have done - that's a lot of money, but represents a much larger payout. I certainly don't envy your decision. Best of luck to whatever you decide.
Last edited by rickgrimes69 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Tue May 22, 2012 5:32 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:
whatismylife wrote:

Let's not overstate the differences here. NYC Biglaw is not unattainable from UMN, it's just significantly more difficult. And UMN opens up Midwestern secondary markets for biglaw. You're looking a lower salary, but a lower cost of living too.

Ohiobumpkin

Silver

Post by Ohiobumpkin » Tue May 22, 2012 6:03 pm

Samara wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:
whatismylife wrote:

Let's not overstate the differences here. NYC Biglaw is not unattainable from UMN, it's just significantly more difficult. And UMN opens up Midwestern secondary markets for biglaw. You're looking a lower salary, but a lower cost of living too.

The "it's t-14 or bust" crowd would eat you alive for such an astute statement. :p

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Tue May 22, 2012 6:47 pm

Samara wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:
whatismylife wrote:

UMN places something like 10-15% in Biglaw. It's possible, but very unlikely. NYC biglaw is even more so. OP has to go into this knowing that UMN will almost certainly not end up with Biglaw anywhere, much less in NYC. Any less is to give false hope.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Tue May 22, 2012 8:33 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:UMN places something like 10-15% in Biglaw. It's possible, but very unlikely. NYC biglaw is even more so. OP has to go into this knowing that UMN will almost certainly not end up with Biglaw anywhere, much less in NYC. Any less is to give false hope.
10-15% is accurate for c/o 2010, but the latest NLJ data (c/o 2011?) has UMN placing almost 20% in biglaw. And sure, not many of those are NYC/DC. But, I wouldn't call those numbers very unlikely. Very unlikely is NYLS or TJSL. The odds are against you, but if you can graduate with almost no debt, I don't see how you can justify taking out $200k at a school like UVa, where biglaw is still far from certain. Unless you are dead set against the Midwest, UMN seems like the better choice. Throw in all the personal reasons and I'd definitely pick UMN.

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Tue May 22, 2012 9:30 pm

Samara wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:UMN places something like 10-15% in Biglaw. It's possible, but very unlikely. NYC biglaw is even more so. OP has to go into this knowing that UMN will almost certainly not end up with Biglaw anywhere, much less in NYC. Any less is to give false hope.
10-15% is accurate for c/o 2010, but the latest NLJ data (c/o 2011?) has UMN placing almost 20% in biglaw. And sure, not many of those are NYC/DC. But, I wouldn't call those numbers very unlikely. Very unlikely is NYLS or TJSL. The odds are against you, but if you can graduate with almost no debt, I don't see how you can justify taking out $200k at a school like UVa, where biglaw is still far from certain. Unless you are dead set against the Midwest, UMN seems like the better choice. Throw in all the personal reasons and I'd definitely pick UMN.
I don't disagree with this at all. Like I said, there's no wrong answer here.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Wed May 23, 2012 12:04 am

rickgrimes69 wrote:
Samara wrote:
I don't disagree with this at all. Like I said, there's no wrong answer here.
:)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fanmingrui

Bronze

Post by fanmingrui » Wed May 23, 2012 12:29 am

Law school debt keeps me up at night, and I'm in relatively good shape. Take UMN and enjoy not multiplying all your expenses by 8%/year.
ETA: took partial scholly @ T14 over $$$ at UMN.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Wed May 23, 2012 10:43 am

I'm happy that things went well for you but I gotta say I'm pretty angry they lied about their scholarship policy, almost makes me wish I hadn't deposited.

whatismylife

Bronze

Post by whatismylife » Wed May 23, 2012 11:16 am

minnbills wrote:I'm happy that things went well for you but I gotta say I'm pretty angry they lied about their scholarship policy, almost makes me wish I hadn't deposited.
When I tried to negotiate for more $$ earlier in the year, I got denied via a somewhat passive-aggressive email saying it was against their policy. That's why I was hesitant to try again but so glad I did.

Maybe they're getting desperate??

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Wed May 23, 2012 11:25 am

whatismylife wrote: When I tried to negotiate for more $$ earlier in the year, I got denied via a somewhat passive-aggressive email saying it was against their policy. That's why I was hesitant to try again but so glad I did.

Maybe they're getting desperate??
They might be in danger of losing their median or 75th and are now pursuing those candidates with more $$$.

Idk, when I asked BU/BC for waivers they both said they didn't offer them but then a week later both changed their minds. It made me think twice about whether or not I even wanted to go to school someplace that would lie like that.

I get it, they have to remain competitive and bringing in the most qualified class possible is a huge part of that, but I've definitely lost trust in the admissions department after this.

Anyways, congrats! I'll see you in Minneapolis!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”