Texas $ vs. UVA Sticker

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
unlicensedpotato

Texas $ vs. UVA Sticker

Postby unlicensedpotato » Fri May 11, 2012 11:45 am

Would like to practice big law (most likely tax law) in Texas. Virginia is at sticker and UT is with the non resident tuition exemption and $28500 (9500 per) in merit. Looking for insight as to which places better in Texas and opinions on this choice in general.

Edit: One possible consideration is that a 1L SA position, although not particularly likely at either, seems to be more likely at UVA.

chem

Re: Texas $ vs. UVA Sticker

Postby chem » Fri May 11, 2012 11:56 am

unlicensedpotato wrote:Would like to practice big law (most likely tax law) in Texas. Virginia is at sticker and UT is with the non resident tuition exemption and $28500 (9500 per) in merit. Looking for insight as to which places better in Texas and opinions on this choice in general.

Edit: One possible consideration is that a 1L SA position, although not particularly likely at either, seems to be more likely at UVA.

You should make it a poll, and

Texas

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Fri May 11, 2012 11:57 am

any ties to TX?

with ties, UVA is a better choice for biglaw overall (even TX biglaw—although some people here overestimate the bump); without ties, UT for sure (but even then, would you rather have NYC biglaw or TX mid/small law?—cause if you're just toying with the idea of TX but really would much rather have a biglaw job, then UVA is the much safer bet)

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Fri May 11, 2012 12:05 pm

unlicensedpotato wrote:Would like to practice big law (most likely tax law) in Texas. Virginia is at sticker and UT is with the non resident tuition exemption and $28500 (9500 per) in merit. Looking for insight as to which places better in Texas and opinions on this choice in general.

UVA is not worth ~75K more than UT if you want to practice in Texas. Firms will higher a little deeper from UVA and you might be in a better position for a 1L SA if you do all the hustling yourself (keep in mind that this hustling really needs to be done on (or as close to as possible) December 1st). Those advantages really shouldn't make up for the money difference though. Plus, 2L OCI and callbacks will be a whole lot less stressful when you're coming from Austin and not Charlottesville. (Driving to Dallas or Houston a ton (or flying if you're really lazy) is very easy to do when both are around ~2 hours away (Dallas might be a little closer to 3).)

FWIW, I chose UT over UVA with about 60K difference between the two. I've been extremely happy with my decision.
Last edited by Richie Tenenbaum on Fri May 11, 2012 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri May 11, 2012 12:08 pm

Texas is probably the better option for you in light of your target market.

What is the total COA for each law school ?

unlicensedpotato

Postby unlicensedpotato » Fri May 11, 2012 1:11 pm

Ties: Yes, went to UT for undergrad and have a good number of connections from it.

fobolus: I agree that UVA probably does have an edge for big law even in Texas. Assuming I make solid grades at UT though, I can't see the edge being worth enough to compensate for the scholarship?

Richie Tenenbaum: Ya, I'm hoping to have all the 1L letters ready to go before I start school. Agree with you that UVA probably isn't worth that much more than UT if I want to practice in Texas which has me leaning toward UT. Obviously you've only taken classes at UT but did you feel like you could have been (or were) one of the top students? Basically do you think it would have been harder to make your grades at UVA vs. UT? Also, I posted this in Texas employment but didn't get a response. For Texas big law firms that start at 160, are the raises and bonuses generally lower than they would be in nyc?

COA: Not sure about tuition changes slash inflation adjustments but right now UVA would have me take out 71,800 in loans for the first year and UT would have me take out about $39,500 so it's a pretty substantial difference.

Thanks all for your help!

BVest

Postby BVest » Fri May 11, 2012 1:57 pm

Texas. No matter what you want to do, if it's in Texas, that's your answer.

I'll admit it's not a huge diff though... so if you're from Texas, have lived here all your life, and want to have an experience outside the state for once, by all means go to UVa. You won't get many other chances to experiment once you get settled.

BVest

Postby BVest » Fri May 11, 2012 1:59 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:(Driving to Dallas or Houston a ton (or flying if you're really lazy) is very easy to do when both are around ~2 hours away (Dallas might be a little closer to 3).)

Dallas is a lot closer to 3; often over. Houston is more than 2 unless headed to energy corridor.

azgirl514

Postby azgirl514 » Fri May 11, 2012 2:33 pm

I'd say Texas for sure on that one. First of all, it's a great school in its own right. Furthermore, from what I've heard, UT-Austin is a powerhouse in the area, so if you're looking to practice in that market, I'd suggest taking the money and avoiding as much debt as you can!

If you were trying to choose between Harvard/Yale/Stanford and Texas with $, I'd say go with HYS, but I don't think UVA -- despite being a great school -- is worth the extra cost, especially if you want to stay in Texas.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”