USC vs Loyola $$$ Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

USC or Loyola $$$

USC
64%
Loyola
36%

Total votes: 11

Alej.barajas

New

USC vs Loyola $$$

Post by Alej.barajas » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:55 pm

Hello friends,

Currently I am debating between Loyola (Los Angeles) who has offered me a full-ride + books with a 3.2 GPA stipulation that they estimate to be between the top 45% to 50% of the class, and USC who has offered me a 15K guaranteed no strings attached scholarship for all three years. As of now I want to practice criminal law or immigration law and I don't think that I would ever want to try Biglaw, but as we all know, apparently JD students are quite the floppers. I am also a URM and fluent in Spanish, which I think will help me stand out when it comes to finding a job afterwards. I would obviously love to attend USC but I don't think it's worth the money.I have to leave deposits at Loyola and USC this Monday and Tuesday so I have some serious pondering to do this weekend.

ANY help/advice/comments will be greatly appreciated.

moneybagsphd

Silver

Re: USC vs Loyola $$$

Post by moneybagsphd » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:00 pm

Alej.barajas wrote:Hello friends,

Currently I am debating between Loyola (Los Angeles) who has offered me a full-ride + books with a 3.2 GPA stipulation that they estimate to be between the top 45% to 50% of the class, and USC who has offered me a 15K guaranteed no strings attached scholarship for all three years. As of now I want to practice criminal law or immigration law and I don't think that I would ever want to try Biglaw, but as we all know, apparently JD students are quite the floppers. I am also a URM and fluent in Spanish, which I think will help me stand out when it comes to finding a job afterwards. I would obviously love to attend USC but I don't think it's worth the money.I have to leave deposits at Loyola and USC this Monday and Tuesday so I have some serious pondering to do this weekend.

ANY help/advice/comments will be greatly appreciated.
What's your GPA? Regardless, you should probably retake. If I had a "URM boost," I wouldn't settle for less than HYS, or lower T14 w/ $$$$.

Alej.barajas

New

Post by Alej.barajas » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:50 pm

My GPA was a 3.68 and LSAT was 164 which is pretty weak. But i took it twice, cancelled my first score. I was also thinking retaking but will taking it a third time look bad? I think i could score a 169ish score. Think that would be worth waiting? I also got waitlisted at UCLA, Berkeley, Georgetown, NYU, Chicago, and Stanford which is also why I may want to retake and apply early next cycle (I applied pretty late this round because I took the December LSAT after cancelling the October.

So you vote retake?

moneybagsphd

Silver

Post by moneybagsphd » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:42 pm

Alej.barajas wrote:My GPA was a 3.68 and LSAT was 164 which is pretty weak. But i took it twice, cancelled my first score. I was also thinking retaking but will taking it a third time look bad? I think i could score a 169ish score. Think that would be worth waiting? I also got waitlisted at UCLA, Berkeley, Georgetown, NYU, Chicago, and Stanford which is also why I may want to retake and apply early next cycle (I applied pretty late this round because I took the December LSAT after cancelling the October.

So you vote retake?
Yes. Full disclosure: I'm going to USC next year (w/ a 120k scholarship).

Alej.barajas

New

Post by Alej.barajas » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:48 pm

congrats moneybag!! that is amazing!! jelly beans all around. I think you may be right. I have to milk this URM card as best I can, even if it means biting the bullet and waiting another year. Thanks for the input and good luck with the trojans

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:48 pm

Because you sound like you're leaning toward a retake anyway and because it seems like you'll be able to get a higher score, I would retake. Loyola's stipulations suck and you could probably get a shitload of money at USC/UCLA and money at some T14s if you retake.

moneybagsphd

Silver

Post by moneybagsphd » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:09 pm

Alej.barajas wrote:congrats moneybag!! that is amazing!! jelly beans all around. I think you may be right. I have to milk this URM card as best I can, even if it means biting the bullet and waiting another year. Thanks for the input and good luck with the trojans
Thanks. :D I think with a 170+ you'd be pretty solid for CCN. Or a full scholly at SC, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”