USC vs Loyola $$$

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

USC or Loyola $$$

USC
64%
Loyola
36%

Total votes: 11

Alej.barajas

USC vs Loyola $$$

Postby Alej.barajas » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:55 pm

Hello friends,

Currently I am debating between Loyola (Los Angeles) who has offered me a full-ride + books with a 3.2 GPA stipulation that they estimate to be between the top 45% to 50% of the class, and USC who has offered me a 15K guaranteed no strings attached scholarship for all three years. As of now I want to practice criminal law or immigration law and I don't think that I would ever want to try Biglaw, but as we all know, apparently JD students are quite the floppers. I am also a URM and fluent in Spanish, which I think will help me stand out when it comes to finding a job afterwards. I would obviously love to attend USC but I don't think it's worth the money.I have to leave deposits at Loyola and USC this Monday and Tuesday so I have some serious pondering to do this weekend.

ANY help/advice/comments will be greatly appreciated.

moneybagsphd

Re: USC vs Loyola $$$

Postby moneybagsphd » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:00 pm

Alej.barajas wrote:Hello friends,

Currently I am debating between Loyola (Los Angeles) who has offered me a full-ride + books with a 3.2 GPA stipulation that they estimate to be between the top 45% to 50% of the class, and USC who has offered me a 15K guaranteed no strings attached scholarship for all three years. As of now I want to practice criminal law or immigration law and I don't think that I would ever want to try Biglaw, but as we all know, apparently JD students are quite the floppers. I am also a URM and fluent in Spanish, which I think will help me stand out when it comes to finding a job afterwards. I would obviously love to attend USC but I don't think it's worth the money.I have to leave deposits at Loyola and USC this Monday and Tuesday so I have some serious pondering to do this weekend.

ANY help/advice/comments will be greatly appreciated.

What's your GPA? Regardless, you should probably retake. If I had a "URM boost," I wouldn't settle for less than HYS, or lower T14 w/ $$$$.

Alej.barajas

Postby Alej.barajas » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:50 pm

My GPA was a 3.68 and LSAT was 164 which is pretty weak. But i took it twice, cancelled my first score. I was also thinking retaking but will taking it a third time look bad? I think i could score a 169ish score. Think that would be worth waiting? I also got waitlisted at UCLA, Berkeley, Georgetown, NYU, Chicago, and Stanford which is also why I may want to retake and apply early next cycle (I applied pretty late this round because I took the December LSAT after cancelling the October.

So you vote retake?

moneybagsphd

Postby moneybagsphd » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:42 pm

Alej.barajas wrote:My GPA was a 3.68 and LSAT was 164 which is pretty weak. But i took it twice, cancelled my first score. I was also thinking retaking but will taking it a third time look bad? I think i could score a 169ish score. Think that would be worth waiting? I also got waitlisted at UCLA, Berkeley, Georgetown, NYU, Chicago, and Stanford which is also why I may want to retake and apply early next cycle (I applied pretty late this round because I took the December LSAT after cancelling the October.

So you vote retake?

Yes. Full disclosure: I'm going to USC next year (w/ a 120k scholarship).

Alej.barajas

Postby Alej.barajas » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:48 pm

congrats moneybag!! that is amazing!! jelly beans all around. I think you may be right. I have to milk this URM card as best I can, even if it means biting the bullet and waiting another year. Thanks for the input and good luck with the trojans

Postby 071816 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:48 pm

Because you sound like you're leaning toward a retake anyway and because it seems like you'll be able to get a higher score, I would retake. Loyola's stipulations suck and you could probably get a shitload of money at USC/UCLA and money at some T14s if you retake.

moneybagsphd

Postby moneybagsphd » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:09 pm

Alej.barajas wrote:congrats moneybag!! that is amazing!! jelly beans all around. I think you may be right. I have to milk this URM card as best I can, even if it means biting the bullet and waiting another year. Thanks for the input and good luck with the trojans

Thanks. :D I think with a 170+ you'd be pretty solid for CCN. Or a full scholly at SC, etc.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”