Seeking Advice for Getting off of a Waitlist Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tnjones87

New

Seeking Advice for Getting off of a Waitlist

Post by tnjones87 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:19 pm

I have been waitlisted by my top choice. I would love to hear from people who were successful in employing proactive measures to get into a school from the waitlist.

Thanks

splitsplat

Silver

Re: Seeking Advice for Getting off of a Waitlist

Post by splitsplat » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:29 pm

Depends on the school.
Some schools specifically ask waitlisted students NOT to contact them for any reason and just wait. Other schools will mention that waitlisted students can "update" the school which could mean anything from LOCIs, new grades, new LSAT scores, new LORs etc. I think you could get more focused information if you posted in the school thread that you are waitlisted at + check previous year's thread for that school.

tnjones87

New

Post by tnjones87 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:50 pm

I am waitlisted at a school that allows for additional LOCI and LOR. I figure about half of the waitlisted candidates will be proactive within the realm of additional information. What I am looking for is individuals who went beyond these two actions.

I posted this as a general question and not school specific because people who got into other law schools may have tactics they employed that were useful. To be more specific I am referring to a school in the top 14. I have looked at other posts and have seen nothing beyond writing a LOCI and gathering an additional LOR.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:09 pm

My boss of two years sent in a LOR and I was accepted off the waitlist within a week of him sending the letter. But my numbers were otherwise competitive for that school.

cpinker3

New

Post by cpinker3 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:54 am

I have not been accepted off of a wait list yet, but have my fingers crossed because I was waitlisted at my top two schools. But as of right now I have sent in an LOCI to both schools and am sending in an LOR when it gets to the LSAC. I also have heard that if you can go sit in on a class and schedule a tour of the school that that can help your chances.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cav3d

New

Post by Cav3d » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:08 am

One thing to keep in mind as you look to go beyond what the school recommends:

http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... alker.aspx

jackattack17

Bronze

Post by jackattack17 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:59 am

depends on the school-check your WL email carefully. if they don't say "absolutely do not contact us", a LOCI is appropriate, as is a visit if you're in the area, even if you just pop your head into the admissions office and tell them who you are and that you're on the WL. good luck! i got in off the WL to my top school at the end of July, so being patient can pay off!

kgus22

New

Post by kgus22 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:16 pm

definitely don't overstep the boundaries of a school but here is what I did that worked.

-if you can afford to, make a personal visit out to the school and meet with the dean. not everyone will be able to do this and it shows that you are committed to the school. you can also then express in person why you want to go there.
-LOCI, obvious. again, tell them it is your first choice school, why you want to go there, why it is a good fit for you. make it fairly obvious without directly stating that if you get accepted there, you will attend. update them with NEW and relevant information. what have you been doing since you applied? did you gain any academic honors? are you working on any large projects (show you aren't slacking your last semester in school)?
-LOR, depending on what you sent before (all academic references, etc) include maybe one LOR from a different perspective than before

best of luck.

patientlywaiting

New

Post by patientlywaiting » Mon May 07, 2012 5:51 pm

kgus22 wrote:definitely don't overstep the boundaries of a school but here is what I did that worked.

-if you can afford to, make a personal visit out to the school and meet with the dean. not everyone will be able to do this and it shows that you are committed to the school. you can also then express in person why you want to go there.
-LOCI, obvious. again, tell them it is your first choice school, why you want to go there, why it is a good fit for you. make it fairly obvious without directly stating that if you get accepted there, you will attend. update them with NEW and relevant information. what have you been doing since you applied? did you gain any academic honors? are you working on any large projects (show you aren't slacking your last semester in school)?
-LOR, depending on what you sent before (all academic references, etc) include maybe one LOR from a different perspective than before

best of luck.
Hello
I just ready your post, and I am strongly considering taking your advice. Just wanted to ask if I should see the Director of Admission or the Dean of my selected Law School as you suggested?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kgus22

New

Post by kgus22 » Mon May 07, 2012 11:15 pm

I would say the dean/director of admissions. they are the one who has the bigger hand in the decision, I don't think the dean of the law school itself really has much say at all actually.

rglifberg

Bronze

Post by rglifberg » Tue May 08, 2012 12:10 am

I hate to hijack this thread but I think the OP could benefit from this question. Generally how long is the wait-list acceptance process?

Jaybaybay4

New

Post by Jaybaybay4 » Tue May 08, 2012 1:28 am

I just got off the waitlist at my top choice and I can say without a doubt that visiting the school sealed the deal. My significant other and I were able to sit and chat with the dean of admissions and the personal contact was huge. If you are reasonably personable and have the numbers to get in I would definitely make it a point to visit the school and specifically the dean.

success888

New

Post by success888 » Tue May 08, 2012 2:29 am

how do you all recommend we go about asking to see the dean of admissions? you all make them sound so very accessible....

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

davidfett

New

Post by davidfett » Tue May 08, 2012 10:00 am

Tell them you're not interested. That'll get you right off the wait list.

Elendil

Silver

Post by Elendil » Tue May 08, 2012 10:05 am

davidfett wrote:Tell them you're not interested. That'll get you right off the wait list.
Unless it's Harvard, which we have seen accept or offer an interview to multiple people this cycle AFTER they tried to withdraw... :lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”