GW Waitlist 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
camillefisch

Re: GW Waitlist 2012

Postby camillefisch » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:43 pm

GULC!!!!

blurose

Postby blurose » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:27 pm

Wow, that's awesome, congratulations!

PoliticalJunkie73

Postby PoliticalJunkie73 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:44 pm

Anybody else get a "gauging interest" email just now? I feel like I've gotten it before....

nellie_bly

Postby nellie_bly » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:50 pm

Just admitted of the WL!!!! :D :D :D

For those who also got in through this process and were offered $$, was merit aid included in your mailed acceptance packet or did you have to email them and negotiate it? They didn't mention $ in my acceptance email.

blurose

Postby blurose » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:54 pm

I had to negotiate. Also you have to do their fin aid form and the parental section of the FAFSA, if you're under 29. It takes a while to process so do it now.

nellie_bly

Postby nellie_bly » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:58 pm

blurose wrote:I had to negotiate. Also you have to do their fin aid form and the parental section of the FAFSA, if you're under 29. It takes a while to process so do it now.

But I can't do the fin aid form until I get my acceptance packet with my GW id number and to see what, if any, merit offers I received, right? You can't apply for need based aid if you're offered more than $16,000 a year (although it is completely unlikely that this will be the case)

Luckily, I think I already did the parental section of the FAFSA. ;)

blurose

Postby blurose » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:09 pm

The fin form is on the admitted students website, you don't need a gw id. You should get the email telling you about it soon. If not pm me and I'll email you the form.

censored311

Postby censored311 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:30 pm

Just got in off the wait list on Friday!!

I'm assuming I'm going to have to negotiate for some scholarship $$. I've been reading about strategies for it elsewhere on TLS, but for those that were successful was there anything in particular that worked other than persistence?

DC_Patent_Law

Postby DC_Patent_Law » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:12 am

Just got in Friday as well. I'm trying to decide between going to USD in SoCal vs. GW in DC :(

Wily

Postby Wily » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:54 am

censored311 wrote:Just got in off the wait list on Friday!!

I'm assuming I'm going to have to negotiate for some scholarship $$. I've been reading about strategies for it elsewhere on TLS, but for those that were successful was there anything in particular that worked other than persistence?

What I did was immediately email the admissions office with my scholarship letters/emails from other comparable schools. I did this before they sent me their scholarship letter. I think it may have helped in getting me an award that was higher than what my numbers alone would've gotten me. After I got their initial (high) offer, though, I have had no success in raising it any further. YMMV.

DC_Patent_Law

Postby DC_Patent_Law » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:24 am

@Wily: This probably won't work for schools that waitlist you since you barely got in. For example, I have $$ from USD, Lewis and Clark etc but that won't work as leverage for schools like GW which are ranked much higher. Is this correct?

Wily wrote:
censored311 wrote:Just got in off the wait list on Friday!!

What I did was immediately email the admissions office with my scholarship letters/emails from other comparable schools. I did this before they sent me their scholarship letter. I think it may have helped in getting me an award that was higher than what my numbers alone would've gotten me. After I got their initial (high) offer, though, I have had no success in raising it any further. YMMV.

Wily

Postby Wily » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:02 pm

DC_Patent_Law wrote:@Wily: This probably won't work for schools that waitlist you since you barely got in. For example, I have $$ from USD, Lewis and Clark etc but that won't work as leverage for schools like GW which are ranked much higher. Is this correct?

Well, I did get off the WL for GW and offered $25k/year, so I do think it can work for GW. The schools I was using as comparisons for GW were slightly to significantly lower ranked, WUSTL, Wake Forest, W&M, and Cardozo.

nellie_bly

Postby nellie_bly » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:45 pm

After sending the negotiation email, how long did it take for them to get back to you?

BmoreOrLess

Postby BmoreOrLess » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:09 pm

nellie_bly wrote:After sending the negotiation email, how long did it take for them to get back to you?

First time it took them about a week. I had them extend my deadline to see if there was more cash available after the June 1st deadline. They came back with slightly more money on the following Monday. You kind of have to keep on them, because I usually didn't get a response until I sent them a follow up email.

blurose

Postby blurose » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:30 am

BmoreOrLess wrote:
nellie_bly wrote:After sending the negotiation email, how long did it take for them to get back to you?

First time it took them about a week. I had them extend my deadline to see if there was more cash available after the June 1st deadline. They came back with slightly more money on the following Monday. You kind of have to keep on them, because I usually didn't get a response until I sent them a follow up email.

I only got one offer, they never increased mine. Mine is need-based, they supposedly ran out of the merit-based aid. Then they accidentally sent me an email saying I received merit-based aid, then rescinded it over the phone. I did get the Aston though. I asked for more, bu I was told they've run out of money and I am on a list "if more money frees up." Not holding my breath though.

aeiouy

Postby aeiouy » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:56 pm

Where have you guys been sending your merit-based scholarship requests/negotiations? I've emailed three times over the course of 2 months and have yet to receive a response.

Imezing

Postby Imezing » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:15 pm

Checking in. Still holding out a shred of hope. Has anyone who responded to their "level of interest" message sent out on the 8th received any response? I sent it twice just to make sure but still haven't heard anything from them...

Nammertat

Postby Nammertat » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:19 pm

Imezing wrote:Checking in. Still holding out a shred of hope. Has anyone who responded to their "level of interest" message sent out on the 8th received any response? I sent it twice just to make sure but still haven't heard anything from them...

I received a response.

diegoforlan10

Postby diegoforlan10 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:53 pm

Nammertat wrote:
Imezing wrote:Checking in. Still holding out a shred of hope. Has anyone who responded to their "level of interest" message sent out on the 8th received any response? I sent it twice just to make sure but still haven't heard anything from them...

I received a response.

Interesting...I sent my reply on Monday and received no response. What did their message say?

Nammertat

Postby Nammertat » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:57 pm

diegoforlan10 wrote:
Nammertat wrote:

I received a response.

Interesting...I sent my reply on Monday and received no response. What did their message say?

LOL... well they got my name wrong (albeit close)... Just the standard thank you for indicating your continued interest blah blah blah

Imezing

Postby Imezing » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:21 pm

[Update] I received a response this morning. It seemed personalized but what do I know? haha How long are you guys willing to ride this out? Is there any way to tell how many students are still on the waitlist?

censored311

Postby censored311 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:42 pm

How long did it take those of you who sent emails negotiating scholarships to get a response?

I sent an email on Monday and still haven't heard anything, and the deadline is approaching fast...

I think I'm just going to call them

wisbey

Postby wisbey » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:55 pm

Imezing wrote:[Update] I received a response this morning. It seemed personalized but what do I know? haha How long are you guys willing to ride this out? Is there any way to tell how many students are still on the waitlist?

I got what looked like a personal response as well, Matt referenced what I had discussed in the email. I've already gotten into UW and I am a resident so it is reasonably cheap at $25,000. I told GW in my response that I am still interested, but that they need to give my something to justify the increased cost. They said that they would work on it...but I'm still on the waitlist so I guess I just get to keep waiting, it doesn't seem to hurt anything. Does anyone know when the next update is supposed to come in?

nellie_bly

Postby nellie_bly » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:59 am

The combined seat deposit deadline is tomorrow, and they haven't responded to my merit aid negotiating email. Should I call them today?

ub3rm3nsch

Postby ub3rm3nsch » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:32 am

[deleted]
Last edited by ub3rm3nsch on Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”