Harvard Waitlist 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
snehpets

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2012

Postby snehpets » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:56 pm

I would be able to handle it better if I wasn't leaving for new York next Wednesday. If I decided to/got in I could still move to Boston from NYC but I'm stressed about the money and logistics just thinking about it. I hope we hear one way or the other this week.

I also wish I knew you guys IRL so i could stop checkin this thread and just hear when something finally happened via text, lol
Last edited by snehpets on Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:00 pm

My thoughts are two-fold:

1) Perhaps the pulls from the waitlist is much larger this year than in past years. I think this is true based upon the large number of TLS people who have already received JS1s. Therefore they need more time to do the interviews and make the decisions. They did the JS1s without full knowledge of everything in order to contact those students who were of the highest priority for them.

2) JS2s might not be totally automatic this year like they were in years past. Perhaps they are making decisions as to who to make the first round of JS2s offers to.

Or, JS just DGAF and is taking her sweet time to make her decisions!

sharktankdean

Postby sharktankdean » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:06 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:My thoughts are two-fold:

1) Perhaps the pulls from the waitlist is much larger this year than in past years. I think this is true based upon the large number of TLS people who have already received JS1s. Therefore they need more time to do the interviews and make the decisions. They did the JS1s without full knowledge of everything in order to contact those students who were of the highest priority for them.

If you are referring to all those who had interviews last week as high priority, then wouldn't they get them a decision ASAP..they know people's plans change...and the longer they wait the more time Stanford has to snatch a few people (Stanford has not moved at all...if people get JS2 and Stanford offers on or around the same day this would be bad for Harvard).

Doorkeeper wrote:My thoughts are two-fold:

2) JS2s might not be totally automatic this year like they were in years past. Perhaps they are making decisions as to who to make the first round of JS2s offers to.

Then why would they interview so many people?? They have shown that they were having some issues this year, why increase their burden by interviewing many people for less spots when they could just interview interview the # they need.

I guess it means
Doorkeeper wrote:JS just DGAF and is taking her sweet time to make her decisions!

fingerscrossedxx

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:13 pm

I love that you guys still have energy to make hypotheses haha

hypothalamus

Postby hypothalamus » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:17 pm

This might be a bad time to bring this up, but I've always been confused by the KB/JS versus "Admissions Committee" dichotomy at HLS. Blog posts keep talking about a committee - presumably consisting not just of one decision-maker, but rather a number of faculty and even students as well... Soooooo, like, what role does this AdComm have? Does it only play a role in regular decisions? Is it possible that KB/JS have to advocate for you all in front of said AdComm?

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:28 pm

hypothalamus wrote:This might be a bad time to bring this up, but I've always been confused by the KB/JS versus "Admissions Committee" dichotomy at HLS. Blog posts keep talking about a committee - presumably consisting not just of one decision-maker, but rather a number of faculty and even students as well... Soooooo, like, what role does this AdComm have? Does it only play a role in regular decisions? Is it possible that KB/JS have to advocate for you all in front of said AdComm?

I assume the "Admissions Committee" is just the group of all of the admissions staff who are involved in making admissions decisions. I don't think it's some special body separate and apart from the rest of the admissions staff.

neuropol

Postby neuropol » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:31 pm

yeah i noticed the speakerphone sound during my interview. made me nervous. I don't know though, when you're making a ton of calls, sometimes its easier just to sit in a room and use the speakerphone so you can write notes...

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:32 pm

neuropol wrote:yeah i noticed the speakerphone sound during my interview. made me nervous. I don't know though, when you're making a ton of calls, sometimes its easier just to sit in a room and use the speakerphone so you can write notes...

Thank God I didn't notice this.

hypothalamus

Postby hypothalamus » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:33 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
hypothalamus wrote:This might be a bad time to bring this up, but I've always been confused by the KB/JS versus "Admissions Committee" dichotomy at HLS. Blog posts keep talking about a committee - presumably consisting not just of one decision-maker, but rather a number of faculty and even students as well... Soooooo, like, what role does this AdComm have? Does it only play a role in regular decisions? Is it possible that KB/JS have to advocate for you all in front of said AdComm?

I assume the "Admissions Committee" is just the group of all of the admissions staff who are involved in making admissions decisions. I don't think it's some special body separate and apart from the rest of the admissions staff.

Hmm well, I know for a fact that some faculty and other law school officials are involved in some capacity in said "Admissions Committee," but I wouldn't be surprised if they only review applications earlier on... It's very confusing. Can't they be open about this stuff, like YLS?

fingerscrossedxx

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:36 pm

snehpets wrote:
neuropol wrote:yeah i noticed the speakerphone sound during my interview. made me nervous. I don't know though, when you're making a ton of calls, sometimes its easier just to sit in a room and use the speakerphone so you can write notes...

+1 I would have died.

sharktankdean

Postby sharktankdean » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:36 pm

snehpets wrote:

lol. I think you all just scared those who have KB1s tomorrow

sharktankdean

Postby sharktankdean » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:01 pm

Another day, another disappointment.... but one day our JS2s WILL come

fingerscrossedxx

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:12 pm

sharktankdean wrote:Another day, another disappointment.... but one day our JS2s WILL come

This. Makes me sad. I don't even know what day to look forward to anymore.

LaCumparsita

Postby LaCumparsita » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:20 pm

One week is nothing... I had my KB1 on November 7th, and my KB2 came on November 23rd! Don't lose hope peeps!

fingerscrossedxx

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:33 pm

LaCumparsita wrote:One week is nothing... I had my KB1 on November 7th, and my KB2 came on November 23rd! Don't lose hope peeps!

This would be horrible considering we're on the waitlist though. In November we wouldnt be worrying about signing leases! haha

yepyepyep

Postby yepyepyep » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:03 pm

Maybe KB is doing the interviews tomorrow and JS is doing the JS2s. There's always hope! Or maybe they'll intersperse JS2s with KB1s to lighten their day. I'm sure both conversations don't take that long.

*sigh*

But as Doorkeeper says, there's no real concern until one of us gets it and the rest of us don't. It just means they're holding on to them. It is terrible about leases/people having to move and not knowing, though.

I also don't think that JS is using the interviews for candidate selection at this point. The interview was incredibly short, and I don't think there were enough questions to distinguish half the candidates from that. If anything, they'd only deselect one or two, not an entire bunch.

sharktankdean

Postby sharktankdean » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:52 pm

Just so we can officially cross of tomorrow can people with interviews tomorrow post their interview times. If the times are all over the place then it's prob not gonna happen. If u don't want to post it could u PM me. Thanks.

Elendil

Postby Elendil » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:15 pm

sharktankdean wrote:Just so we can officially cross of tomorrow can people with interviews tomorrow post their interview times. If the times are all over the place then it's prob not gonna happen. If u don't want to post it could u PM me. Thanks.

Pretty sure only a few people have interviews scheduled for tomorrow, and I thought I remember seeing one or two on Wednesday.

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:01 pm

Elendil wrote:
sharktankdean wrote:Just so we can officially cross of tomorrow can people with interviews tomorrow post their interview times. If the times are all over the place then it's prob not gonna happen. If u don't want to post it could u PM me. Thanks.

Pretty sure only a few people have interviews scheduled for tomorrow, and I thought I remember seeing one or two on Wednesday.

I went back and read and didn't see any for Wednesday and 3-4 for Tuesday.

Elendil

Postby Elendil » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:24 pm

snehpets wrote:
Elendil wrote:

I went back and read and didn't see any for Wednesday and 3-4 for Tuesday.

Thanks for doing the work I was too lazy to do... :D

neuropol

Postby neuropol » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:28 pm

What time are they? All KBs?

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:39 pm

neuropol wrote:What time are they? All KBs?

I don't think anyone specified. I think they're all KBs though.

yepyepyep

Postby yepyepyep » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:50 pm

snehpets wrote:
neuropol wrote:What time are they? All KBs?

I don't think anyone specified. I think they're all KBs though.

I think one person said JS, but it may have been a typo

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:23 am

Had a Harvard WL nightmare last night. Need to get a life.

JDflowergirl

Postby JDflowergirl » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:39 am

In reference to the KB interviews...I think a simple reason would be that JS is taking today off and KB is filling in. I think that could explain the switch (especially since the KB1s are not that many, I doubt they split the files in half and KB could only come up with 3 TLS applicants)... Also since no invites went out Monday (at least on TLS), Wednesday-Thursday JS2s are plausible. I don't think they have sent invites scheduled for the next day or the day after so Thursday might be free for them as well.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”