Harvard Waitlist 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lsatTakerguy
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:42 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2012

Postby lsatTakerguy » Thu May 10, 2012 2:20 pm

From everything I've heard from admissions personnel at schools on the West Coast, applications are down across the country (always, "with the exception of our school", of course).

I have to imagine that raw numbers mean less at this point than does "profile".

Perhaps high raw #'s are one category, but I also imagine categories such as... Vet, URM, business, activist, political etc.

If someone matching your category drops, you may be in luck...

I wish the waitlist form maker thought of this and had a drop down menu...

marcellus
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:41 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2012

Postby marcellus » Thu May 10, 2012 3:05 pm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=184369

Deposits are said to be way down at many schools. Will the big H be affected?

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2012

Postby Nelson » Thu May 10, 2012 3:08 pm

marcellus wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=184369

Deposits are said to be way down at many schools. Will the big H be affected?

I doubt it. Also, check your source.

User avatar
yepyepyep
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:36 am

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2012

Postby yepyepyep » Thu May 10, 2012 3:17 pm

Nelson wrote:
marcellus wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=184369

Deposits are said to be way down at many schools. Will the big H be affected?

I doubt it. Also, check your source.


especially given that H just rejected (instead of WLing) a bunch of applicants that hadn't heard yet. If they were concerned, they would have kept them on the WL at least for a bit.

adam1
Posts: 179
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:36 am

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2012

Postby adam1 » Thu May 10, 2012 3:23 pm

yepyepyep wrote:
Nelson wrote:
marcellus wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=184369

Deposits are said to be way down at many schools. Will the big H be affected?

I doubt it. Also, check your source.


especially given that H just rejected (instead of WLing) a bunch of applicants that hadn't heard yet. If they were concerned, they would have kept them on the WL at least for a bit.


This requires a number of assumptions.

User avatar
hypothalamus
Posts: 745
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:11 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2012

Postby hypothalamus » Thu May 10, 2012 4:12 pm

LOCI: sent.

Writing it was torture. I don't know how some of you have had the inspiration for two of those...

User avatar
thelawschoolproject
Posts: 1364
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:58 am

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2012

Postby thelawschoolproject » Thu May 10, 2012 4:20 pm

hypothalamus wrote:LOCI: sent.

Writing it was torture. I don't know how some of you have had the inspiration for two of those...



OMG. Details...what did you say? What all did you mention?

User avatar
StarLightSpectre
Posts: 339
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:32 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2012

Postby StarLightSpectre » Thu May 10, 2012 4:26 pm

Finished my LOCI package, sending tomorrow, it also included a Why Harvard that consisted of 3 words, "Cause it's Harvard!!!".

I suppose I'll be sending it tomorrow but IDK how much it'll actually help someone with my kind of numbers.

Edit. Missing Word
Last edited by StarLightSpectre on Thu May 10, 2012 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
hypothalamus
Posts: 745
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:11 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2012

Postby hypothalamus » Thu May 10, 2012 4:29 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:
hypothalamus wrote:LOCI: sent.

Writing it was torture. I don't know how some of you have had the inspiration for two of those...



OMG. Details...what did you say? What all did you mention?


It was mostly a string of 350 non-specific but nice-souding words and a mostly meaningless "job update" :D

But I figured it was still better to send one since I never did before.

User avatar
yepyepyep
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:36 am

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2012

Postby yepyepyep » Thu May 10, 2012 4:30 pm

adam1 wrote:
yepyepyep wrote:
Nelson wrote:
marcellus wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=184369

Deposits are said to be way down at many schools. Will the big H be affected?

I doubt it. Also, check your source.


especially given that H just rejected (instead of WLing) a bunch of applicants that hadn't heard yet. If they were concerned, they would have kept them on the WL at least for a bit.


This requires a number of assumptions.


Isn't that the case with most of what we obsess about on TLS?

adam1
Posts: 179
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:36 am

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2012

Postby adam1 » Thu May 10, 2012 4:33 pm

yepyepyep wrote:Isn't that the case with most of what we obsess about on TLS?


Yup.

I just prefer speculation that definitively anticipates bountiful KB1s.

User avatar
JDflowergirl
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 12:31 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2012

Postby JDflowergirl » Thu May 10, 2012 4:34 pm

Do LOCIs really help those on the WL...a friend of mine is deciding on whether to send one and he thinks that Harvard already has a list of people that should be getting off the WL by now is that true..i'm trying to make sure he does EVERYTHING possible.

User avatar
yepyepyep
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:36 am

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2012

Postby yepyepyep » Thu May 10, 2012 4:35 pm

adam1 wrote:
yepyepyep wrote:Isn't that the case with most of what we obsess about on TLS?


Yup.

I just prefer speculation that definitively anticipates bountiful KB1s.


Haha that's fair...I should stop being pessimistic.

User avatar
JDflowergirl
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 12:31 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2012

Postby JDflowergirl » Thu May 10, 2012 4:35 pm

StarLightSpectre wrote:Finished my LOCI package tomorrow, it also included a Why Harvard that consisted of 3 words, "Cause it's Harvard".

I suppose I'll be sending it tomorrow but IDK how much it'll actually help someone with my kind of numbers.



you never know...urms with your #'s are usually the 1st to get off the WL because of their high gpas! Look at the past WL threads

User avatar
adika86
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:16 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2012

Postby adika86 » Thu May 10, 2012 4:41 pm

yepyepyep wrote:
adam1 wrote:
yepyepyep wrote:Isn't that the case with most of what we obsess about on TLS?


Yup.

I just prefer speculation that definitively anticipates bountiful KB1s.


Haha that's fair...I should stop being pessimistic.


Yes, we need optimism in here. Tomorrow, KB1s for all.

User avatar
yepyepyep
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:36 am

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2012

Postby yepyepyep » Thu May 10, 2012 4:42 pm

JDflowergirl wrote:Do LOCIs really help those on the WL...a friend of mine is deciding on whether to send one and he thinks that Harvard already has a list of people that should be getting off the WL by now is that true..i'm trying to make sure he does EVERYTHING possible.


If he has something new (grades? new accolades?) it can definitely help. If he doesn't, it can still help to show interest. I don't think it hurts, unless it's poorly written, not taken seriously, or there are grammatical errors.
That being said, if there's any chance this waters down the application, think hard about it.

User avatar
JDflowergirl
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 12:31 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2012

Postby JDflowergirl » Thu May 10, 2012 4:56 pm

yepyepyep wrote:
JDflowergirl wrote:Do LOCIs really help those on the WL...a friend of mine is deciding on whether to send one and he thinks that Harvard already has a list of people that should be getting off the WL by now is that true..i'm trying to make sure he does EVERYTHING possible.


If he has something new (grades? new accolades?) it can definitely help. If he doesn't, it can still help to show interest. I don't think it hurts, unless it's poorly written, not taken seriously, or there are grammatical errors.
That being said, if there's any chance this waters down the application, think hard about it.



i said that but he believes that if u do not have much to update and you are just sending it to show interest there is no point because you have already done that by accepting to stay on the wait list.

User avatar
StarLightSpectre
Posts: 339
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:32 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2012

Postby StarLightSpectre » Thu May 10, 2012 6:06 pm

JDflowergirl wrote:
StarLightSpectre wrote:Finished my LOCI package tomorrow, it also included a Why Harvard that consisted of 3 words, "Cause it's Harvard".

I suppose I'll be sending it tomorrow but IDK how much it'll actually help someone with my kind of numbers.



you never know...urms with your #'s are usually the 1st to get off the WL because of their high gpas! Look at the past WL threads



Thanks for the encouragement. I would literally cry.

User avatar
hypothalamus
Posts: 745
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:11 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2012

Postby hypothalamus » Thu May 10, 2012 7:13 pm

My birthday is coming up and kinda wanna invite my TLS friends... Where would that fall on the awkwardness scale, from 1 to 10?

theboywiththebread87
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 7:38 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2012

Postby theboywiththebread87 » Thu May 10, 2012 7:54 pm

Checking in. Long time lurker, first time poster. Thought I'd join the party because I might need this board to keep sane in the next few months. Got wait listed on Wed. (5/9) with what seems like the last wave.

Does anyone know anything about sending in LOCIs? I already sent one in after I was held in Jan., and I'm not sure whether to update them again.

Good luck to everyone else!

Kran23
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:07 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2012

Postby Kran23 » Thu May 10, 2012 8:04 pm

hypothalamus wrote:My birthday is coming up and kinda wanna invite my TLS friends... Where would that fall on the awkwardness scale, from 1 to 10?


Not all, -10. Someone probably bakes a mean batch of cupcakes too.

User avatar
sharktankdean
Posts: 663
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:57 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2012

Postby sharktankdean » Fri May 11, 2012 10:22 am

Was today the day to hope for kb1s or was it Monday (technically I have been hoping since the day after i got wait listed so it may not make a difference) ?

edits
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:52 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2012

Postby edits » Fri May 11, 2012 10:28 am

sharktankdean wrote:Was today the day to hope for kb1s or was it Monday (technically I have been hoping since the day after i got wait listed so it may not make a difference) ?


+1. Every day is the day

User avatar
adika86
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:16 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2012

Postby adika86 » Fri May 11, 2012 10:30 am

sharktankdean wrote:Was today the day to hope for kb1s or was it Monday (technically I have been hoping since the day after i got wait listed so it may not make a difference) ?


I bet on Monday, but a KB1 invite today to schedule for early next week would be ideal.

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2012

Postby Doorkeeper » Fri May 11, 2012 10:36 am

Nah. I wouldn't think anything happens until next week, at the earliest. My thought is that the first waves come out either this monday/tuesday, or next monday/tuesday, so that they can kb1, interview, and kb2 in the same week.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”