Harvard Waitlist 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
thelawschoolproject

Re: Harvard Waitlist 2012

Postby thelawschoolproject » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:51 am

Doorkeeper wrote:
Further, spots in the class always arise in July/August, as evident on TLS/LSN. So I wouldn't assume "finalize the class" is always that "final".

They didn't last year.

Also, they've already done the WL so much differently than they have in past years. i.e. waiting until June to start WL movement.

ETA: Correction. One person reported getting of the WL last year on 7/22 on LSN. But the traditional August wave never happened.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:54 am

thelawschoolproject wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:
Further, spots in the class always arise in July/August, as evident on TLS/LSN. So I wouldn't assume "finalize the class" is always that "final".

They didn't last year.

Also, they've already done the WL so much differently than they have in past years. i.e. waiting until June to start WL movement.

Yes, they did. See: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/goodpupil, http://lawschoolnumbers.com/calvmpv

Re WL movement: Remember that they sent out the WL notifications 2-3 weeks later than they did in previous years, which I assume was due to staffing issues. That explains why WL JS1s came out 2-3 weeks later than normal. I don't think there is anything to show that this year's WL movement is inherently different than in years past.
Last edited by Doorkeeper on Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:57 am

Yeah, I edited myself before you posted that Door. I recognized the wrong. :)

I just think that there's nothing business-as-usual about what's happened at Harvard this year. Buuut that is merely my opinion. Differ as you will :mrgreen:

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:59 am

thelawschoolproject wrote:Yeah, I edited myself before you posted that Door. I recognized the wrong. :)

I just think that there's nothing business-as-usual about what's happened at Harvard this year. Buuut that is merely my opinion. Differ as you will :mrgreen:

Don't get me wrong. I totally think that the timing has been completely different than in years past, which I think has been in large part because of the staffing uncertainties. But there's nothing to show that the process by which Harvard is making their acceptance decisions is different as well. I think that's an important distinction.

ftw

Postby ftw » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:06 pm

Well, whatever the case, if our chances of getting a JS1/KB1 were 10-15% before, I doubt its even 1% now.

silverino123

Postby silverino123 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:09 pm

ftw wrote:Well, whatever the case, if our chances of getting a JS1/KB1 were 10-15% before, I doubt its even 1% now.

:(

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:13 pm

silverino123 wrote:
ftw wrote:Well, whatever the case, if our chances of getting a JS1/KB1 were 10-15% before, I doubt its even 1% now.

Traditionally, Harvard sends out rejection letters to those who are on the WL so you know that you're no longer in consideration.

Until you get one of those...don't give up hope :)

Elendil

Postby Elendil » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:16 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:
silverino123 wrote:

Traditionally, Harvard sends out rejection letters to those who are on the WL so you know that you're no longer in consideration.

Until you get one of those...don't give up hope :)

Yeah, but that usually doesn't happen until August, right?

marcellus

Postby marcellus » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:18 pm

Factors that could help out we the un-JS1ed:

1) More people get in off the Yale WL... who knows what is happening at the New Haven Chocolate Factory
2) Still-to-come SLS waitlist activity lures away Harvard admits
3) Admitted Harvard students defer or decide not to go
4) Unforeseen world-historical events cause admitted students to stick to their day-jobs over HYS acceptances

fingerscrossedxx

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:21 pm

Well, I just called the admissions office to ask if there was a particular timeframe they were hoping to get back to students who were interviewed last week. She gave me the generic "we have no timeline at all".

Sooooo... I guess I'm just gonna move on with my life then, up until if and when they call... not

ftw

Postby ftw » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:23 pm

marcellus wrote:Factors that could help out we the un-JS1ed:

1) More people get in off the Yale WL... who knows what is happening at the New Haven Chocolate Factory
4) Unforeseen world-historical events cause admitted students to stick to their day-jobs over HYS acceptances

I think all of those either already happened or won't affect the waitlist too much.

sharktankdean

Postby sharktankdean » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:28 pm

ftw wrote:
marcellus wrote:Factors that could help out we the un-JS1ed:

I think all of those either already happened or won't affect the waitlist too much.

The things in bold haven't happened...and depending on how much SLS pulls it could affect the WL movement.

Also for no 3. has the deferral deadline passed?

JDflowergirl

Postby JDflowergirl » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:39 pm

My Bf's said his KB1 went well...he kicked me out of the room because he said i was making him nervous :roll: :roll: :roll:

But from what he said it was quick, 6-7 mins. She wanted to know if he was still interested,what he was doing etc.

Even though I told him to ask when he will hear back, he didn't, so I have nothing to add to what TLSP already said.

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:40 pm

Yeah, I didn't ask either. She very much so voluntarily offered the information.

deluxe

Postby deluxe » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:42 pm

JDflowergirl wrote:My Bf's said his KB1 went well...he kicked me out of the room because he said i was making him nervous :roll: :roll: :roll:

But from what he said it was quick, 6-7 mins. She wanted to know if he was still interested,what he was doing etc.

Even though I told him to ask when he will hear back, he didn't, so I have nothing to add to what TLSP already said.

I'm glad even the Americans were nervous :lol:

marcellus

Postby marcellus » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:44 pm

sharktankdean wrote:Also for no 3. has the deferral deadline passed?

Yes, but I believe HLS will still let people defer anyway in some cases. Harvard is awesome, but it will still be there when people finish their Rhodes Scholarships, Fulbrights, Marshalls, Peace Corps, Teach for America, etc. And many will realize that, one hopes.

As for Stanford, Yale and Harvard had more WL activity this year than last; SLS could be the next shoe to drop. Dean Deal could abruptly un-finalize the Harvard Class of 2015, if and when she makes her move.

sharktankdean

Postby sharktankdean » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:19 pm

fingerscrossedxx wrote:Well, I just called the admissions office to ask if there was a particular timeframe they were hoping to get back to students who were interviewed last week. She gave me the generic "we have no timeline at all".

Sooooo... I guess I'm just gonna move on with my life then, up until if and when they call... not

Don't really take what they say over the phone as given. Remember when they told Strictlybusiness that they did not know IF or when there would be waitlist movement.....then we got out JS1s the next day....

fingerscrossedxx

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:20 pm

sharktankdean wrote:
fingerscrossedxx wrote:Well, I just called the admissions office to ask if there was a particular timeframe they were hoping to get back to students who were interviewed last week. She gave me the generic "we have no timeline at all".

Don't really take what they say over the phone as given. Remember when they told Strictlybusiness that they did not know IF or when there would be waitlist movement.....then we got out JS1s the next day....

True, I know she just gave me the stock answer, but I also didnt want to out myself too much!

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:54 pm

*Stares at work*
*Stares at phone*
*Stares at email*
/Repeat

I feel like this describes my workday for the past 8 months.

yepyepyep

Postby yepyepyep » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:08 pm

Well, don't want to state the obvious, but given that she said "Within a week" yesterday, that only gives us 3 more days at most to wait. It's going to be either tomorrow, Friday, or Monday. I think they'll spread them out over tomorrow and Friday, since the phones don't work in Cambridge on Mondays.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:09 pm

yepyepyep wrote:Well, don't want to state the obvious, but given that she said "Within a week" yesterday, that only gives us 3 more days at most to wait. It's going to be either tomorrow, Friday, or Monday. I think they'll spread them out over tomorrow and Friday, since the phones don't work in Cambridge on Mondays.

I tend to agree, but you never know.

I'm totally going to be productive at work tomorrow. It's going to be great.

fingerscrossedxx

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:14 pm

yepyepyep wrote:Well, don't want to state the obvious, but given that she said "Within a week" yesterday, that only gives us 3 more days at most to wait. It's going to be either tomorrow, Friday, or Monday. I think they'll spread them out over tomorrow and Friday, since the phones don't work in Cambridge on Mondays.

Hahaha, so so so true.

sharktankdean

Postby sharktankdean » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:24 pm

I think the JS2 might come out b4 the KB2s...i mean Jessica has had 3 days now to go through all the files and make her picks..

Elendil

Postby Elendil » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:25 pm

sharktankdean wrote:

I think the JS2 might come out b4 the KB2s...i mean Jessica has had 3 days now to go through all the files and make her picks..

I think the next batch of KB/JS1's is going to come out before the KB/JS2's... :lol:

fingerscrossedxx

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:26 pm

sharktankdean wrote:

I think the JS2 might come out b4 the KB2s...i mean Jessica has had 3 days now 9 months now to go through all the files and make her picks..

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”