Georgetown Waitlist 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
illy22
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2012

Postby illy22 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:34 am

it was, in a word, weird.

just about 5-6 of us, not your typical interview at all. was mostly him talking about the school, the process, hoping to have answers to us after may 1, etc etc, then we did some group exercises. nothing too difficult. mostly a game of What Would You Do minus Marc Summers, as an admissions officer.

seems to have been the typical run of events from past group interviews. only change was, he'll know more after may 1. if that's news...

PoliticalJunkie73
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2012

Postby PoliticalJunkie73 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:12 am

illy22 wrote:it was, in a word, weird.

just about 5-6 of us, not your typical interview at all. was mostly him talking about the school, the process, hoping to have answers to us after may 1, etc etc, then we did some group exercises. nothing too difficult. mostly a game of What Would You Do minus Marc Summers, as an admissions officer.

seems to have been the typical run of events from past group interviews. only change was, he'll know more after may 1. if that's news...


That does sound weird. But thanks for the update!

gravityrides0
Posts: 552
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:22 pm

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2012

Postby gravityrides0 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:37 am

illy22 wrote:it was, in a word, weird.

just about 5-6 of us, not your typical interview at all. was mostly him talking about the school, the process, hoping to have answers to us after may 1, etc etc, then we did some group exercises. nothing too difficult. mostly a game of What Would You Do minus Marc Summers, as an admissions officer.

seems to have been the typical run of events from past group interviews. only change was, he'll know more after may 1. if that's news...


so basically a lot of smiling and nodding on your part?

User avatar
illy22
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2012

Postby illy22 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:43 am

gravityrides0 wrote:
illy22 wrote:it was, in a word, weird.

just about 5-6 of us, not your typical interview at all. was mostly him talking about the school, the process, hoping to have answers to us after may 1, etc etc, then we did some group exercises. nothing too difficult. mostly a game of What Would You Do minus Marc Summers, as an admissions officer.

seems to have been the typical run of events from past group interviews. only change was, he'll know more after may 1. if that's news...


so basically a lot of smiling and nodding on your part?



hah, you could say that, yeah. nervous smiling. and just quick little sessions where you give your 10-second opinion on a hypothetical admissions scenario. that was about it. done in under an hour, and felt like he did most of the talking.

User avatar
ned
Posts: 264
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:47 pm

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2012

Postby ned » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:59 am

illy22 wrote:
gravityrides0 wrote:
illy22 wrote:it was, in a word, weird.

just about 5-6 of us, not your typical interview at all. was mostly him talking about the school, the process, hoping to have answers to us after may 1, etc etc, then we did some group exercises. nothing too difficult. mostly a game of What Would You Do minus Marc Summers, as an admissions officer.

seems to have been the typical run of events from past group interviews. only change was, he'll know more after may 1. if that's news...


so basically a lot of smiling and nodding on your part?



hah, you could say that, yeah. nervous smiling. and just quick little sessions where you give your 10-second opinion on a hypothetical admissions scenario. that was about it. done in under an hour, and felt like he did most of the talking.


Sounds like the group interview is a gesture intended to help maintain your interest in GULC? My alumni interviewer had to submit an assessment after interviewing me. Was it Cornblatt you met with? Did he takes notes? How does he make an assessment when he's doing all the talking?

User avatar
illy22
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2012

Postby illy22 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:22 pm

ned wrote:
illy22 wrote:
gravityrides0 wrote:
illy22 wrote:it was, in a word, weird.

just about 5-6 of us, not your typical interview at all. was mostly him talking about the school, the process, hoping to have answers to us after may 1, etc etc, then we did some group exercises. nothing too difficult. mostly a game of What Would You Do minus Marc Summers, as an admissions officer.

seems to have been the typical run of events from past group interviews. only change was, he'll know more after may 1. if that's news...


so basically a lot of smiling and nodding on your part?



hah, you could say that, yeah. nervous smiling. and just quick little sessions where you give your 10-second opinion on a hypothetical admissions scenario. that was about it. done in under an hour, and felt like he did most of the talking.


Sounds like the group interview is a gesture intended to help maintain your interest in GULC? My alumni interviewer had to submit an assessment after interviewing me. Was it Cornblatt you met with? Did he takes notes? How does he make an assessment when he's doing all the talking?



He didnt do all of the talking, just most of it. I think i saw him taking down some notes as we were talking, but honestly can't be sure.

Ah, and yes it was Dean Cornblatt.

User avatar
Worker and Parasite
Posts: 360
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:53 am

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2012

Postby Worker and Parasite » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:50 pm

fwiw all the group interviewees that I went and contacted afterwards got preferred wait list so I think it's totally about gauging your interest.

Mac&Cheese89
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2012

Postby Mac&Cheese89 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:45 pm

Well, tomorrow is May 1st. I suppose that means all of us who are waiting should, for better of for worse, hear some news from Georgetown within the next 2 weeks. Best of luck to all the people who are keeping their fingers crossed!

PoliticalJunkie73
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2012

Postby PoliticalJunkie73 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:30 pm

Mac&Cheese89 wrote:Well, tomorrow is May 1st. I suppose that means all of us who are waiting should, for better of for worse, hear some news from Georgetown within the next 2 weeks. Best of luck to all the people who are keeping their fingers crossed!


+1, and the sooner the better...

User avatar
illy22
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2012

Postby illy22 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:10 pm

anyone know how quickly they started making offers after the may 1 deadline during last yr's cycle?

this could not come soon enough...

DCLaw1248
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2012

Postby DCLaw1248 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:24 pm

Correct big day today.. It seems on the other threads there are some withdrawals..

Also I know their are different advisors with the SPWL.. I wonder if that has any bearing on who comes off first?

User avatar
Worker and Parasite
Posts: 360
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:53 am

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2012

Postby Worker and Parasite » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:51 pm

DCLaw1248 wrote:Correct big day today.. It seems on the other threads there are some withdrawals..

Also I know their are different advisors with the SPWL.. I wonder if that has any bearing on who comes off first?


It's possible they just split up the alphabet for the SPWL, or maybe it's ranked? It's impossible to tell

User avatar
cjb0502
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2012

Postby cjb0502 » Tue May 01, 2012 6:13 am

so they made at least one wl admit before 5/1 - in off the plain old preferred wait list yesterday afternoon!

fwiw: applied in february, no interview, pt program

jozzy22
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:59 pm

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2012

Postby jozzy22 » Tue May 01, 2012 9:07 am

SPWL got an email stating there weren't spots left in FT program. They asked about PT interest.

jkong
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:01 pm

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2012

Postby jkong » Tue May 01, 2012 9:08 am

Congrats!!!
Given your score, wondering how come you were not SPWL. no wonder you got off the waitlist. Envy you.

User avatar
illy22
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2012

Postby illy22 » Tue May 01, 2012 9:17 am

jozzy22 wrote:SPWL got an email stating there weren't spots left in FT program. They asked about PT interest.




Oh god, really?

Well that makes me feel a certain way...

jozzy22
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:59 pm

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2012

Postby jozzy22 » Tue May 01, 2012 9:20 am

I wouldn't lose hope. I'm quite sure that after their deposit deadline they'll have a better idea of how much space they have.

PoliticalJunkie73
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2012

Postby PoliticalJunkie73 » Tue May 01, 2012 9:59 am

cjb0502 wrote:so they made at least one wl admit before 5/1 - in off the plain old preferred wait list yesterday afternoon!

fwiw: applied in february, no interview, pt program


Congratulations. Did you find out by email, phone call, or status checker?

User avatar
commonpleas
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2012

Postby commonpleas » Tue May 01, 2012 10:28 am

jozzy22 wrote:SPWL got an email stating there weren't spots left in FT program. They asked about PT interest.


I'm SPWL and didn't get this email...who is your designated contact person? Mine is Erica Smith--maybe she just hasn't sent her batch of emails out yet.

User avatar
ned
Posts: 264
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:47 pm

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2012

Postby ned » Tue May 01, 2012 11:24 am

commonpleas wrote:
jozzy22 wrote:SPWL got an email stating there weren't spots left in FT program. They asked about PT interest.


I'm SPWL and didn't get this email...who is your designated contact person? Mine is Erica Smith--maybe she just hasn't sent her batch of emails out yet.

So either they are fibbing, or they already received more than enough deposits to fill the class. Of course, deposits aren't binding, but this is discouraging....

jozzy22
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:59 pm

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2012

Postby jozzy22 » Tue May 01, 2012 11:27 am

email came from Esmith

jozzy22
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:59 pm

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2012

Postby jozzy22 » Tue May 01, 2012 11:28 am

I read through last year's thread about a month or so ago I do remember a few people getting an email similar to mine and then others getting in FT. I really wouldn't get discouraged though. I don't think any of us could figure out their waitlist process if we tried.

User avatar
commonpleas
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2012

Postby commonpleas » Tue May 01, 2012 11:35 am

jozzy22 wrote:I read through last year's thread about a month or so ago I do remember a few people getting an email similar to mine and then others getting in FT. I really wouldn't get discouraged though. I don't think any of us could figure out their waitlist process if we tried.


I wholeheartedly agree--to say I'm thoroughly confused would be an understatement.

Superfrankie
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:32 am

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2012

Postby Superfrankie » Tue May 01, 2012 12:26 pm

wow..anyone else got that email too. i didnt get it either

User avatar
cjb0502
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2012

Postby cjb0502 » Tue May 01, 2012 12:27 pm

PoliticalJunkie73 wrote:
cjb0502 wrote:so they made at least one wl admit before 5/1 - in off the plain old preferred wait list yesterday afternoon!

fwiw: applied in february, no interview, pt program


Congratulations. Did you find out by email, phone call, or status checker?


pretty funny email - stating that their policy is not to give decisions by email, but 'congratulations' and that I'll have access to the admitted students' site within a day.

I probably last looked at the status-check around 2 hours before the email came, and nothing was there at that time.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: addie1412, alex114, Assasindowntheavenue, Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], BrainsyK, chili_davis, curry1, genjustice, guybourdin, jtawil, laowhynot109, mccracal, NotAGolfer, pandaaa, potterotter, Pugnax, Sawtooth and 37 guests