Georgetown Waitlist 2012 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ttho520

New

Re: Georgetown Waitlist 2012

Post by ttho520 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:58 pm

I wonder if anyone has taken June LSAT in order to advance off the wait list.

ned

Bronze

Post by ned » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:13 pm

ttho520 wrote:I wonder if anyone has taken June LSAT in order to advance off the wait list.
I did, but I don't think there will be spaces left by the time the score is reported. And I think I botched it.... Got reassigned to a different test center, didn't scout out the location ahead of time, got majorly lost on test day and walked in 10 minutes late, a bit frazzled. But we'll see.

Law4889

New

Post by Law4889 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:14 pm

ned wrote:
ttho520 wrote:I wonder if anyone has taken June LSAT in order to advance off the wait list.
I did, but I don't think there will be spaces left by the time the score is reported. And I think I botched it.... Got reassigned to a different test center, didn't scout out the location ahead of time, got majorly lost on test day and walked in 10 minutes late, a bit frazzled. But we'll see.
I wouldn't necessarily be so sure... particularly if what people are saying about acceptances stemming from the "trickle down effect" from recent Harvard WL (and other) acceptances

ned

Bronze

Post by ned » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:38 pm

I get Fridays off in the summer, which means I have too much time on my hands today. So I've been thinking about the implications of the Harvard wait list admitted wave of today and yesterday.

A) As I mentioned earlier, this could set off a chain of events causing dozens of spots to open up at each school on down the line. However, the farther from Harvard in the rankings, ostensibly, the lesser the impact.

B) GULC went up a spot and Harvard dropped a spot in the rankings. This might explain why Harvard is dipping deeper this year than last year (or so it seems), and why GULC might not need to. But all things being equal, GULC is larger and lower ranked, so one might posit that GULC must always take more wait listers than Harvard in a given year. This requires many assumptions regarding equivalent misjudgments by each school's admissions office. But it's a plausible scenario.

C) I now believe there may very well be a big wave at Georgetown leading up to the 25th, allowing a week or two for the dominoes to fall from HYS to CCN, on down to GULC.

D) I will now have to set about the task of deconstructing this intricately constructed delusion. again.

illy22

Bronze

Post by illy22 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:44 pm

ned i think you were right!

got an email from Alison this morning requesting an update on interest level, that the committee is meeting again soon, because some spaces "may" be opening up in the entering class.

anyone else get this or something similar?

i thought my blood pressure would have finally dropped back to its normal level by now, but nay...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PoliticalJunkie73

New

Post by PoliticalJunkie73 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:47 pm

illy22 wrote:ned i think you were right!

got an email from Alison this morning requesting an update on interest level, that the committee is meeting again soon, because some spaces "may" be opening up in the entering class.

i thought my blood pressure would have finally dropped back to its normal level by now, but nay...
No email for me. When did you last confirm interest level with them?

Law4889

New

Post by Law4889 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:49 pm

PoliticalJunkie73 wrote:

Me either- I'm regular waitlist though... Has anyone on the standard WL heard anything?

illy22

Bronze

Post by illy22 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:59 pm

PoliticalJunkie73 wrote:

towards the end of May, right before the June 1 2nd deposit deadline. so that may have been the reason for their contact.

but still, spaces! yay!

ned

Bronze

Post by ned » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:11 pm

No email for me. Congrats on the contact, illy! I'm PWL.

When was the last time you received an email? Around June 7th or 8th, right?

I told Admissions that I retook the June LSAT. Wonder if that put me on the back burner until July....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PoliticalJunkie73

New

Post by PoliticalJunkie73 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:12 pm

illy22 wrote:
PoliticalJunkie73 wrote:

towards the end of May, right before the June 1 2nd deposit deadline. so that may have been the reason for their contact.

but still, spaces! yay!

I've never gotten an email from Alison, so I'm not feeling so hot about my chances. But I've also been confirming interest almost weekly. Oh well, here's hoping for all of us.

illy22

Bronze

Post by illy22 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:20 pm

ned wrote:No email for me. Congrats on the contact, illy! I'm PWL.

I told Admissions that I retook the June LSAT. Wonder if that put me on the back burner until July....

thanks! yeah it was around then... that one came from andy, said i was still part of a "special group" to whom they would be turning if more spaces opened up. i didn't respond to it, though.

this is my first alison email, and i sure as heck replied right away.

hope we all get some positive news this week.

ned

Bronze

Post by ned » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:32 pm

illy22 wrote:
ned wrote:No email for me. Congrats on the contact, illy! I'm PWL.

thanks! yeah it was around then... that one came from andy, said i was still part of a "special group" to whom they would be turning if more spaces opened up. i didn't respond to it, though.

this is my first alison email, and i sure as heck replied right away.

hope we all get some positive news this week.
Looks like you were the only one who got an email today. Pretty sure you're in... not to jinx it....

ctk

New

Post by ctk » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:46 pm

It sounds like those "I can't tell you you are in but you are in" letters.

Congrats, man!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

justitiasuperomnia

New

Post by justitiasuperomnia » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:17 am

FWIW - I was on the regular waitlist at Gtown and got the e-mail from Alison back in early May, reiterated interest same day, and the next day got the "congrats, but shh! we don't e-mail acceptances :wink: ." I withdrew about two weeks ago, so there is definitely at least one spot.

Good luck, y'all!

sambeber

Bronze

Post by sambeber » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:26 am

I know it gets frustrating this time of year, but as someone who got into Georgetown in mid to late July last year, I urge you not to give up hope. Make alternative plans for where you're planning on going, get your mind set for the fall, but don't withdraw just because you're tired of waiting and getting frustrated. You never know when you'll get that email. Everything worked out well for me in the end (need-based aid that made it financially worthwhile, good grades that made it a good bet) and it can for you too. Obviously, there are no guarantees and all odds are long at this point, but Georgetown is a really incredible place -- keep the faith.

CCyeah

New

Post by CCyeah » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:34 am

sambeber wrote:I know it gets frustrating this time of year, but as someone who got into Georgetown in mid to late July last year, I urge you not to give up hope. Make alternative plans for where you're planning on going, get your mind set for the fall, but don't withdraw just because you're tired of waiting and getting frustrated. You never know when you'll get that email. Everything worked out well for me in the end (need-based aid that made it financially worthwhile, good grades that made it a good bet) and it can for you too. Obviously, there are no guarantees and all odds are long at this point, but Georgetown is a really incredible place -- keep the faith.
Thanks for making my morning just a tad bit better with that bit of positivity!

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:36 pm

What is the theoretical last date possible to be accepted? September 3? What if you begin school elsewhere the week before?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ned

Bronze

Post by ned » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:54 am

So Monday is the 25th Andy. You really gonna make us wait all weekend for the axe to fall?

NedStark12

New

Post by NedStark12 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:00 am

ned wrote:So Monday is the 25th Andy. You really gonna make us wait all weekend for the axe to fall?
the axe to fall?...no pun intended, ned. :lol:

PoliticalJunkie73

New

Post by PoliticalJunkie73 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:03 am

ned wrote:So Monday is the 25th Andy. You really gonna make us wait all weekend for the axe to fall?
I am dreading receiving another "we don't want you now but we might want you later so stay tuned" email. But I am dreading getting a rejection even more.

ned

Bronze

Post by ned » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:14 am

NedStark12 wrote:
the axe to fall?...no pun intended, ned. :lol:

This was indeed my reference. :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Robespierre

Silver

Post by Robespierre » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:51 pm

Illy - Did you hear anything further?

Ned - Your logic was impeccable, but it looks like no significant movement this week, eh?

Can't wait to see what spin Andy puts on all this on Monday. (Unless he puts out something late today.)

ttho520

New

Post by ttho520 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:06 pm

I pretty much gave up waiting for GULC mentally and am preparing to attend the school that I deposited. At this point, it's like waiting for lottery: you know you won't win the prize but still keep the ticket somewhere in the drawer hoping for miracle. It's just that if you win the lottery, you will have to pay 160K to the institution who sells the lottery before you can receive the prize. What a great business model!

illy22

Bronze

Post by illy22 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:11 pm

Robespierre wrote:Illy - Did you hear anything further?

Ned - Your logic was impeccable, but it looks like no significant movement this week, eh?

Can't wait to see what spin Andy puts on all this on Monday. (Unless he puts out something late today.)
Nothing for me but silence and anxiety.

I was fixin to celebrate tonight too... what. the. hell. Andy?

Does anyone remember seeing people get Saturday responses on this thread? Or am I making that up....

ttho520

New

Post by ttho520 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:18 pm

Last edited by ttho520 on Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”