For public interest law, rankings or $$?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sharon_s

For public interest law, rankings or $$?

Postby sharon_s » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:31 pm

I definitely want to do public interest law. I am accepted to Northwestern w/ $0 and have a lot of $ from Northeastern. Northeastern has the co-op system, so you get a lot of hands-on experience prior to graduation and their LRAP is excellent. In general, they are the highly ranked for public interest. Northwestern has a corporate slant and an okay LRAP but is much better ranked. Which should I choose?

rinkrat19

Re: For public interest law, rankings or $$?

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:38 pm

I have a hard time believing a TT has a better LRAP than a T14. Are you sure?

nini11

Postby nini11 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:06 pm

I would like to see those numbers before anything....

top30man

Postby top30man » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:19 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I have a hard time believing a TT has a better LRAP than a T14. Are you sure?

Agreed.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:22 pm

top30man wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:I have a hard time believing a TT has a better LRAP than a T14. Are you sure?

Agreed.

Especially since NU literally gives you more money than you need to pay the min. loan payments if you make a real PI salary (for 5 years, after that you just get the loans).

puremorning

Postby puremorning » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:30 pm

Depends on their placements post grad. Northeastern does have a kickass LRAP (covers every student eligible for 10 years, so long as your salary is under 50k I believe), but the majority of students get placed in public defender jobs, so if that's what you're going for that's great. If you have previous experience and are pretty sure you can land a PI job (which will be much easier with a Northwestern degree, as you'll probably have greater success getting placed in anything with that degree) then go for it. Once I did my research about LRAPs and the federal PSLF plan it put me so much more at ease. The amount to take out is scary, but the support is in place for you.

sharon_s

Postby sharon_s » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:02 pm

Thanks for your replies. I just spoke with financial aid office at Northwestern to clarify the details of their LRAP- it is actually a lot better than I thought. Their LRAP basically covers 100% Income Based Loan Repayments and give extra $ for the unpaid interest on your loans, which is unusual and gives you a lot more flexibility if you are to leave public interest. I am waiting to hear if I receive a full tuition scholarship at Northeastern, which would be great, otherwise Northwestern seems like the better choice.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”