Law School At Hastings wih 50% Scholarhips OR Medical School

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Hastings Law School with 50% Funding
7%
Medical School with Full Ride Military Scholarship
93%

Total votes: 15

justathought21

Postby justathought21 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:52 am

Which would you pick?

justathought21

Re: Law School At Hastings wih 50% Scholarhips OR Medical School

Postby justathought21 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:57 am

justathought21 wrote:Which would you pick?

I have been through once Doctorate program where I graduated first in my class. Despite its first place ranking in its field, jobs are still competitive. I don't know if I will be happy going through all that work in law school (even if its relatively cheap) just to come out with a degree that would not guarantee a job! Who care if its even free to go to law school if after three years, more wrinkles, and lost time, you still cant land a secure job?!

mh2015

Postby mh2015 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:08 am

Which one are you more passionate about? Both law school and med school are a ton of work and a huge investment of time, so it seems like you should go with whichever you care more about and which fits in better with what you want to do. Obviously financial considerations play in a whole lot too.

Asking random people on a forum may give you a bit of insight, but we don't know your personality, interests, or dreams - so it is impossible for us to give you any real advice that will be helpful. Ask close friends or family members, but ultimately go with the one that fits you the best.

Ignatius

Postby Ignatius » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:10 am

rhetorical/flame?

In a basic, fundamental sense, just think of supply/demand. Huge surplus of lawyers versus a looming massive shortage of doctors. Assuming your med school is US accredited, there isn't much question in terms of a "prudent" career decision here; moreover, even in the case that a personal preference for law takes precedent, it should accordingly be sufficiently strong enough to sustain the willpower, patience to re-take the LSAT, gain work/volunteer experience to improve your school and/or scholarship options for next cycle.

Best of luck with whatever you do decide to go forward with, though.

justathought21

Postby justathought21 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:13 am

Ignatius wrote:

rhetorical/flame?

In a basic, fundamental sense, just think of supply/demand. Huge surplus of lawyers versus a looming massive shortage of doctors. Assuming your med school is US accredited, there isn't much question in terms of a "prudent" career decision here; moreover, even in the case that a personal preference for law takes precedent, it should accordingly be sufficiently strong enough to sustain the willpower, patience to re-take the LSAT, gain work/volunteer experience to improve your school and/or scholarship options for next cycle.

Best of luck with whatever you do decide to go forward with, though.

LSAT is high and so is GPA, just applied late and want in stay in Nor Cal but not a fan of the culture at Berkeley! But, I didnt think Hastings was so CHEAP!

justathought21

Postby justathought21 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:15 am

Also, medical school IS U.S. accredited.

gaud

Postby gaud » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:20 am

Go to med school.

MentalGopher

Postby MentalGopher » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:30 am

If it's purely a matter of best bang out of your buck, then Med School seems like an obvious choice. Your debt ratio will probably be lower (full military scholarship) and the demand for jobs is generally much higher than for lawyers right now.

However, what this doesn't account for is which one will be better for you, or where you'd be looking to practice law or medicine. Is there a particular medical school to which you've been accepted? With regards to law, since your poll mentioned Hastings, are you looking to practice law in California (assuming that you're more interested in law, that is)? Another poster made a point that was absolutely valid: we know nothing about your personality or your interests. Why are you looking at law school? Why medical school?

Finally, you haven't told us what type of law or what area of medicine you're considering. Some fields of each are going to have more demand than others. My best advice to you would be to weigh all these factors, but also consider what's more likely to make you happy 20 years from now.

I hope this has helped you a little bit. :-)

lawgeekgrl

Postby lawgeekgrl » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:31 am

Lock.

JasonR

Postby JasonR » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:38 am

justathought21 wrote:LSAT is high and so is GPA

A 3.9+ GPA is "high," but, on this board at least, a "high 160s" LSAT (167? 168?) is not really "high." More like "very good." "High" starts at 170.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”