Is George Mason a losing game?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
justathought21
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:00 pm

Is George Mason a losing game?

Postby justathought21 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:05 pm

I have been offered the max. schollie at G.M. but cannot get comfortable with the idea of going there.
The school simply seems out-gunned.
It competes with Georgetown(600grads a year) and GW(400+ grads per year). AND it only carries a regional (VERY regional) placement.
Should I retake the LSAT and reapply or take my chances????

josh43299
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:29 pm

Re: Is George Mason a losing game?

Postby josh43299 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:08 pm

justathought21 wrote:I have been offered the max. schollie at G.M. but cannot get comfortable with the idea of going there.
The school simply seems out-gunned.
It competes with Georgetown(600grads a year) and GW(400+ grads per year). AND it only carries a regional (VERY regional) placement.
Should I retake the LSAT and reapply or take my chances????


What is the scholarship? What do you want to do?

justathought21
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:00 pm

Re: Is George Mason a losing game?

Postby justathought21 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:12 pm

josh43299 wrote:
justathought21 wrote:I have been offered the max. schollie at G.M. but cannot get comfortable with the idea of going there.
The school simply seems out-gunned.
It competes with Georgetown(600grads a year) and GW(400+ grads per year). AND it only carries a regional (VERY regional) placement.
Should I retake the LSAT and reapply or take my chances????


What is the scholarship? What do you want to do?



I am no certain what I want to do at this time...but hate the thought of being excluded from day 1 just because George Mason doesn't carry a strong name.

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: Is George Mason a losing game?

Postby top30man » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:13 pm

justathought21 wrote:I have been offered the max. schollie at G.M. but cannot get comfortable with the idea of going there.
The school simply seems out-gunned.
It competes with Georgetown(600grads a year) and GW(400+ grads per year). AND it only carries a regional (VERY regional) placement.
Should I retake the LSAT and reapply or take my chances????

Yes. Absolutely retake and reapply. Unless things have changed from last year, GMU only does full tuition for their joint phd in Econ program. The placement is generally pretty bad and durin the boom they placed less than 10 % in big law.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Is George Mason a losing game?

Postby Br3v » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:14 pm

JD/PhD Econ from GM is a day dream of mine

apollo2015
Posts: 359
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:13 am

Re: Is George Mason a losing game?

Postby apollo2015 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:15 pm

If you can afford to both pay for another LSAT and study materials, and to pay for living expenses while studying, then yes totally retake.

...and ED UVA.

George Mason has an interesting reputation. It might get you some love from the Romney administration.

josh43299
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:29 pm

Re: Is George Mason a losing game?

Postby josh43299 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:16 pm

justathought21 wrote:
josh43299 wrote:
justathought21 wrote:I have been offered the max. schollie at G.M. but cannot get comfortable with the idea of going there.
The school simply seems out-gunned.
It competes with Georgetown(600grads a year) and GW(400+ grads per year). AND it only carries a regional (VERY regional) placement.
Should I retake the LSAT and reapply or take my chances????


What is the scholarship? What do you want to do?



I am no certain what I want to do at this time...but hate the thought of being excluded from day 1 just because George Mason doesn't carry a strong name.


How much is it going to cost?

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: Is George Mason a losing game?

Postby top30man » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:18 pm

Br3v wrote:JD/PhD Econ from GM is a day dream of mine

Haha yeah. That's certainly a good program. If you want academia/public policy with a conservative leaning. For law it seems like a non-start.

justathought21
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:00 pm

Re: Is George Mason a losing game?

Postby justathought21 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:21 pm

apollo2015 wrote:If you can afford to both pay for another LSAT and study materials, and to pay for living expenses while studying, then yes totally retake.

...and ED UVA.

George Mason has an interesting reputation. It might get you some love from the Romney administration.



Georgetown grads per year: ~600
GW grads per year: ~500
UVA grads per year: ~200?

these three are schools are ranked FAR above George Mason. Then there is American, CUA, UM, Howard....Will i even have a chance at Big Law if I am in the top 10% of my class?

justathought21
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:00 pm

Re: Is George Mason a losing game?

Postby justathought21 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:26 pm

justathought21 wrote:
apollo2015 wrote:If you can afford to both pay for another LSAT and study materials, and to pay for living expenses while studying, then yes totally retake.

...and ED UVA.

George Mason has an interesting reputation. It might get you some love from the Romney administration.



Georgetown grads per year: ~600
GW grads per year: ~500
UVA grads per year: ~200?

these three are schools are ranked FAR above George Mason. Then there is American, CUA, UM, Howard....Will i even have a chance at Big Law if I am in the top 10% of my class?




My impression of the school after visiting was that it is EXCEPTIONALLY conservative? is this right? I had heard differently, especially of its proximity to DC and its location in Northern Virginia...but it felt very conservative.

justathought21
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:00 pm

Re: Is George Mason a losing game?

Postby justathought21 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:31 pm

josh43299 wrote:
justathought21 wrote:
josh43299 wrote:
justathought21 wrote:I have been offered the max. schollie at G.M. but cannot get comfortable with the idea of going there.
The school simply seems out-gunned.
It competes with Georgetown(600grads a year) and GW(400+ grads per year). AND it only carries a regional (VERY regional) placement.
Should I retake the LSAT and reapply or take my chances????


What is the scholarship? What do you want to do?



I am no certain what I want to do at this time...but hate the thought of being excluded from day 1 just because George Mason doesn't carry a strong name.


How much is it going to cost?


With COL in that area as high as it is...I think I will STILL have to take out around $30,000/year :shock: and the admissions office has not been very clear about how many people keep their schollies :evil:

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Is George Mason a losing game?

Postby Br3v » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:33 pm

justathought21 wrote:
apollo2015 wrote:If you can afford to both pay for another LSAT and study materials, and to pay for living expenses while studying, then yes totally retake.

...and ED UVA.

George Mason has an interesting reputation. It might get you some love from the Romney administration.



Georgetown grads per year: ~600
GW grads per year: ~500
UVA grads per year: ~200?

these three are schools are ranked FAR above George Mason. Then there is American, CUA, UM, Howard....Will i even have a chance at Big Law if I am in the top 10% of my class?


OP, yes those schools will make it incredibly hard for you to make Biglaw from GM, I don't know how well GM places locally (well outside if dc) if it's decently well, and you don't mind practicing there, take it.

If you don't mind waiting to next cycle and going to a higher ranked LS, I'd do that and retake

User avatar
pupshaw
Posts: 504
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: Is George Mason a losing game?

Postby pupshaw » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:34 pm

Sounds like you are definitely not into the idea of going to this school. So why not just retake and try to get in somewhere you're excited about?

justathought21
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:00 pm

Re: Is George Mason a losing game?

Postby justathought21 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:36 pm

Br3v wrote:
justathought21 wrote:
apollo2015 wrote:If you can afford to both pay for another LSAT and study materials, and to pay for living expenses while studying, then yes totally retake.

...and ED UVA.

George Mason has an interesting reputation. It might get you some love from the Romney administration.



Georgetown grads per year: ~600
GW grads per year: ~500
UVA grads per year: ~200?

these three are schools are ranked FAR above George Mason. Then there is American, CUA, UM, Howard....Will i even have a chance at Big Law if I am in the top 10% of my class?


OP, yes those schools will make it incredibly hard for you to make Biglaw from GM, I don't know how well GM places locally (well outside if dc) if it's decently well, and you don't mind practicing there, take it.

If you don't mind waiting to next cycle and going to a higher ranked LS, I'd do that and retake



Thats just it...I cant find out how well they place....the stats are not clear (for example, in one of there handouts for job placement they put asterics(*) and said that figure included BOTH full time and PART time....but no idea on what the spread was....I thought the ABA was gonna crack down on this stuff!

imadude
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:15 pm

Re: Is George Mason a losing game?

Postby imadude » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:39 pm

justathought21 wrote:
Br3v wrote:
justathought21 wrote:
apollo2015 wrote:If you can afford to both pay for another LSAT and study materials, and to pay for living expenses while studying, then yes totally retake.

...and ED UVA.

George Mason has an interesting reputation. It might get you some love from the Romney administration.



Georgetown grads per year: ~600
GW grads per year: ~500
UVA grads per year: ~200?

these three are schools are ranked FAR above George Mason. Then there is American, CUA, UM, Howard....Will i even have a chance at Big Law if I am in the top 10% of my class?


OP, yes those schools will make it incredibly hard for you to make Biglaw from GM, I don't know how well GM places locally (well outside if dc) if it's decently well, and you don't mind practicing there, take it.

If you don't mind waiting to next cycle and going to a higher ranked LS, I'd do that and retake



Thats just it...I cant find out how well they place....the stats are not clear (for example, in one of there handouts for job placement they put asterics(*) and said that figure included BOTH full time and PART time....but no idea on what the spread was....I thought the ABA was gonna crack down on this stuff!


I would go there and visit and talk to them about your concerns. They might not be completely honest, but at least you'll be on the campus to talk to them face to face.

justathought21
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:00 pm

Re: Is George Mason a losing game?

Postby justathought21 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:40 pm

justathought21 wrote:
Br3v wrote:
justathought21 wrote:
apollo2015 wrote:If you can afford to both pay for another LSAT and study materials, and to pay for living expenses while studying, then yes totally retake.

...and ED UVA.

George Mason has an interesting reputation. It might get you some love from the Romney administration.



Georgetown grads per year: ~600
GW grads per year: ~500
UVA grads per year: ~200?

these three are schools are ranked FAR above George Mason. Then there is American, CUA, UM, Howard....Will i even have a chance at Big Law if I am in the top 10% of my class?


OP, yes those schools will make it incredibly hard for you to make Biglaw from GM, I don't know how well GM places locally (well outside if dc) if it's decently well, and you don't mind practicing there, take it.

If you don't mind waiting to next cycle and going to a higher ranked LS, I'd do that and retake



Thats just it...I cant find out how well they place....the stats are not clear (for example, in one of there handouts for job placement they put asterics(*) and said that figure included BOTH full time and PART time....but no idea on what the spread was....I thought the ABA was gonna crack down on this stuff!



I just dont know if a "new kid on the block" like George Mason with a 35-year track record (compared to HUNDREDS of years of alumni networks with GW and Georgetown) will even give me a chance at BigLaw....A part of me thinks I should "grow a pair" and go for it...but it the game is played by a specific set of rules I also dont want to end up smashing my head up against a brick wall hoping that I am the SPECIAL one that it falls down for :roll:

josh43299
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:29 pm

Re: Is George Mason a losing game?

Postby josh43299 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:41 pm

cerealdan wrote:Sounds like you are definitely not into the idea of going to this school. So why not just retake and try to get in somewhere you're excited about?

justathought21
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:00 pm

Re: Is George Mason a losing game?

Postby justathought21 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:43 pm

josh43299 wrote:
cerealdan wrote:Sounds like you are definitely not into the idea of going to this school. So why not just retake and try to get in somewhere you're excited about?


I know...it sounds that way...but their addmissions office has implied that I probably will not get an offer anywhere close to what i have now if i dont take it this year! (it kind of rubbed me the wrong way to be honest)

josh43299
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:29 pm

Re: Is George Mason a losing game?

Postby josh43299 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:44 pm

justathought21 wrote:
josh43299 wrote:
cerealdan wrote:Sounds like you are definitely not into the idea of going to this school. So why not just retake and try to get in somewhere you're excited about?


I know...it sounds that way...but their addmissions office has implied that I probably will not get an offer anywhere close to what i have now if i dont take it this year! (it kind of rubbed me the wrong way to be honest)


what are your numbers?

justathought21
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:00 pm

Re: Is George Mason a losing game?

Postby justathought21 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:47 pm

josh43299 wrote:
justathought21 wrote:
josh43299 wrote:
cerealdan wrote:Sounds like you are definitely not into the idea of going to this school. So why not just retake and try to get in somewhere you're excited about?


I know...it sounds that way...but their addmissions office has implied that I probably will not get an offer anywhere close to what i have now if i dont take it this year! (it kind of rubbed me the wrong way to be honest)


what are your numbers?



3.9+ and high 160's

User avatar
pupshaw
Posts: 504
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: Is George Mason a losing game?

Postby pupshaw » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:48 pm

:shock:

justathought21
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:00 pm

Re: Is George Mason a losing game?

Postby justathought21 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:51 pm

justathought21 wrote:
apollo2015 wrote:If you can afford to both pay for another LSAT and study materials, and to pay for living expenses while studying, then yes totally retake.

...and ED UVA.

George Mason has an interesting reputation. It might get you some love from the Romney administration.



Georgetown grads per year: ~600
GW grads per year: ~500
UVA grads per year: ~200?

these three are schools are ranked FAR above George Mason. Then there is American, CUA, UM, Howard....Will i even have a chance at Big Law if I am in the top 10% of my class?



oh yeah...and i forgot all about William and Mary/Washington and Lee....so I have now pretty much concluded that GM will not give me much of a chance at Big Law! D-A-N-G I-T!

josh43299
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:29 pm

Re: Is George Mason a losing game?

Postby josh43299 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:54 pm

justathought21 wrote:
josh43299 wrote:
justathought21 wrote:
josh43299 wrote:


I know...it sounds that way...but their addmissions office has implied that I probably will not get an offer anywhere close to what i have now if i dont take it this year! (it kind of rubbed me the wrong way to be honest)


what are your numbers?



3.9+ and high 160's


Flame? Don't even think about GMU with those numbers. You dont have any better options than this? Retake, get a 173+ and enjoy your T6 or full scholarship at a school with good placement.

User avatar
AntipodeanPhil
Posts: 1300
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: Is George Mason a losing game?

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:16 pm

justathought21 wrote:A part of me thinks I should "grow a pair" and go for it

"growing a pair" = not going. Attending is the easy option. Get some work experience, study for the LSAT until you feel like bashing your head in, then retake.

Although, if those are your real numbers, you might be best to work out what is wrong with your application materials first.

User avatar
crumpledq
Posts: 335
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:28 pm

Re: Is George Mason a losing game?

Postby crumpledq » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:26 pm

GMU is exceptionally conservative, but it is an exceptional place to go if you are a conservative. Many GMU law profs are well-connected in Republican circles, and I know several GMU law grads who are now counsels to Republican offices on Capitol Hill. It has a reputation as a conservative institution that is viewed very favorably by conservative policy-makers and think tanks.

But if government or public policy is not your thing (and you are not conservative), then I'm not sure how strong a choice it is.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexandros, BuyaLittleMercy, carlos_danger, cd1945, Daaltaraan, Ferrisjso, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], jstans, lawschoolbound2017, nume2016, theothercat, Why??? and 34 guests