Help!! Need advice.

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
StarLightSpectre

Help!! Need advice.

Postby StarLightSpectre » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:55 pm

Stats: 162/3.8
Info: I was average pt'ing 168 before totally under performing on my actual test. I have been and will continue to study for the June test in hopes of scoring a 170+.

School: BU with 115$ Scholarship (65k total COA)
Career Goals: I want to clerk but I know that you can't really bank on that unless you go to Y. So...

TX Biglaw>>>>>>>NYC Biglaw>>>>Biglaw anywhere>>100K Job TX>>>>>100K Job anywhere>>>any job TX>>any job anywhere

I know I'm extremely fortunate to get that much especially with my numbers but I'm from Texas. Eventually I want to end up in either Houston or Dallas. Can BU bring me back home? Or am I stuck in Boston?

BU is my best option (highest ranks/best placement/best program) and ends up having the lowest COA of any school I applied to. However, I am on the waitlist at TX and Cornell.

Thanks in advance!

Chucky21

Re: Help!! Need advice.

Postby Chucky21 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:05 pm

StarLightSpectre wrote:Stats: 162/3.8
Info: I was average pt'ing 168 before totally under performing on my actual test. I have been and will continue to study for the June test in hopes of scoring a 170+.

School: BU with 115$ Scholarship (65k total COA)
Career Goals: I want to clerk but I know that you can't really bank on that unless you go to Y. So...

TX Biglaw>>>>>>>NYC Biglaw>>>>Biglaw anywhere>>100K Job TX>>>>>100K Job anywhere>>>any job TX>>any job anywhere

I know I'm extremely fortunate to get that much especially with my numbers but I'm from Texas. Eventually I want to end up in either Houston or Dallas. Can BU bring me back home? Or am I stuck in Boston?

BU is my best option (highest ranks/best placement/best program) and ends up having the lowest COA of any school I applied to. However, I am on the waitlist at TX and Cornell.

Thanks in advance!

If you get off the waitlist at Cornell then that is your best option for biglaw, as this is what Cornell does. Otherwise retake and re-evaluate at a later date.

StarLightSpectre

Postby StarLightSpectre » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:11 pm

Chucky21 wrote:
If you get off the waitlist at Cornell then that is your best option for biglaw, as this is what Cornell does. Otherwise retake and re-evaluate at a later date.

Thanks for the advice! I know Cornell is def great at placing into Biglaw in NYC but if I got off the waitlist I assume I'd be paying sticker (210K total COA). Which makes me shudder. I will for sure retake. I'm just worried Texas wont be a viable option with a BUJD.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:13 pm

If you do significantly better on the June LSAT, do you plan to lose your deposit and reapply?

StarLightSpectre

Postby StarLightSpectre » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:16 pm

Samara wrote:If you do significantly better on the June LSAT, do you plan to lose your deposit and reapply?

Yes, but it's hard to pin point exactly where that increase is significant enough.

StarLightSpectre

Postby StarLightSpectre » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:32 pm

Bump?

Desperately seeking input!

LSATNightmares

Postby LSATNightmares » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:16 pm

I don't know what placement in Texas is like, but there are plenty of Texans in my 1L class at BU. If you spend your summers interning down in Texas, I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to convince a firm that you want to be working down there permanently. It may take some traveling for interviews, but money is a really good thing.

StarLightSpectre

Postby StarLightSpectre » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:09 pm

LSATNightmares wrote:I don't know what placement in Texas is like, but there are plenty of Texans in my 1L class at BU. If you spend your summers interning down in Texas, I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to convince a firm that you want to be working down there permanently. It may take some traveling for interviews, but money is a really good thing.

Thanks LSATNightmares. It's relieving to know that there are others in my position that seem to be doing the same thing.

Being a 1L at BU is there anything that jumps out at you that a lowly 0L would benefit in knowing?

eaper

Postby eaper » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:08 pm

StarLightSpectre wrote:
LSATNightmares wrote:I don't know what placement in Texas is like, but there are plenty of Texans in my 1L class at BU. If you spend your summers interning down in Texas, I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to convince a firm that you want to be working down there permanently. It may take some traveling for interviews, but money is a really good thing.

Thanks LSATNightmares. It's relieving to know that there are others in my position that seem to be doing the same thing.

Being a 1L at BU is there anything that jumps out at you that a lowly 0L would benefit in knowing?

You also need to have a good reason on why you went out of state for law school- especially if you want to go back to Texas. IMO, if you want Texas, if you can get into UT, I'd go there over Cornell, especially if you have in state.

StarLightSpectre

Postby StarLightSpectre » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:34 pm

eaper wrote:
You also need to have a good reason on why you went out of state for law school- especially if you want to go back to Texas. IMO, if you want Texas, if you can get into UT, I'd go there over Cornell, especially if you have in state.

If I get of the waitlist at TX, I would be instate which would put COA at about 150K.

And other than being the best school I got into and at a lower cost than any other school I applied to I really don't have a reason per se. I mean I really like their programs, faculty, and their study abroad options but that's not really why I'm going.

elm84dr

Postby elm84dr » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:18 am

Go with the money at BU, you can't beat it, and I know people from Texas go back there from BU. There are a good amount of them in firms, in house counsel for oil companies, and working for the courts there.

I chose between Cornell and BU in the end, and the money from BU spoke to me. I am relieved and relaxed knowing how small a debt is over my head.

westcoast

Postby westcoast » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:16 pm

I can't imagine you'd have any trouble going to Texas from BU. People frequently leave their home states for grad school. Just tell them that you wanted to experience the northeast. Nothing wrong with that.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”