Penn Waitlist 2012

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
thelawyler

Re: Penn Waitlist 2012

Postby thelawyler » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:35 pm

Well, checking in.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Tue May 01, 2012 11:57 am

cogitoergosum wrote:Penn has years where they take LOTS off the waitlist, and other years where they take almost nobody. As I'm seeing it, I think our shot at Penn will largely depend on what kind of year this is. In my terrible neurosis, I've compiled some LSN data trying to find some statistical basis for a prediction about what this year's WL movement will look like. I can't say there's anything compelling here, but maybe one of you will see something I'm not.

Hoping this is a good WL year!

2005/2006

Accepted: 212
Accepted -> Attending: 37
Accepted -> Withdrawn: 105
% Accepted -> Withdrawn: 49.5%
Waitlisted: 140
Waitlisted -> Withdrawn: 50

WL -> Accepted: 14

2006/2007

Accepted: 204
Accepted -> Attending: 32
Accepted -> Withdrawn: 118
% Accepted -> Withdrawn: 57.8%
Waitlisted: 270
Waitlisted -> Withdrawn: 106

WL -> Accepted: 26

2007/2008

Accepted: 219
Accepted -> Attending: 30
Accepted -> Withdrawn: 111
% Accepted -> Withdrawn: 50.7
Waitlisted: 229
Waitlisted -> Withdrawn: 106

WL -> Accepted: 17

2008/2009

Accepted: 162
Accepted -> Attending: 31
Accepted -> Withdrawn: 79
% Accepted -> Withdrawn: 48.8
Waitlisted: 246
Waitlisted -> Withdrawn: 112

WL -> Accepted: 3

2009/2010

Accepted: 192
Accepted -> Attending: 36
Accepted -> Withdrawn: 82
% Accepted -> Withdrawn: 42.7
Waitlisted: 221
Waitlisted -> Withdrawn: 118

WL -> Accepted: 8

2010/2011

Accepted: 165
Accepted -> Withdrawn: 71
% Accepted -> Withdrawn: 43.0
Waitlisted: 152
Waitlisted -> Withdrawn: 84

WL -> Accepted: 2

2011/2012 (as of May 1, 11:56am)

Accepted: 185
Accepted -> Withdrawn: 80
% Accepted -> Withdrawn: 43.2%
Waitlisted: 237
Waitlisted -> Withdrawn: 114

WL -> Accepted: ?????

The only thing that I think might be taken to mean something positive for us is that we're still five days pre-deadline, and the % Accepted -> Withdrawn number is already creeping up close to the last two years' numbers.

(usual caveats regarding LSN imperfections etc. apply)

Updated this cycle to today at 11:56 am est

rewritten

Postby rewritten » Tue May 01, 2012 11:38 pm

Checking in. Sticking around for this one. Those of you who are also waiting it out until the end: when are you planning to sign a lease for wherever you're deposited at? I'm worried that if I wait any longer all the good housing is going to be taken.

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Wed May 02, 2012 2:51 am

rewritten wrote:Checking in. Sticking around for this one. Those of you who are also waiting it out until the end: when are you planning to sign a lease for wherever you're deposited at? I'm worried that if I wait any longer all the good housing is going to be taken.

I've deposited at Cornell and I heard there's still options even in August. Also I don't think you have to sign a lease for the dorms there so thats my backup

cogitoergosum

Postby cogitoergosum » Wed May 02, 2012 10:57 am

Something to support those hoping Penn will be after LSATs off the WL this year:

The percentage of current applicants reporting on LSN that they will be attending Penn, who also have an LSAT score at/above Penn's 75th: 38%

Same number for the last two years:
2010/2011: 48%
2009/2010:57%

So yeah, it's LSN and all, but it's something to hang on to!

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Wed May 02, 2012 11:38 am

cogitoergosum wrote:Something to support those hoping Penn will be after LSATs off the WL this year:

The percentage of current applicants reporting on LSN that they will be attending Penn, who also have an LSAT score at/above Penn's 75th: 38%

Thanks nice to see some hope for us splitters. Is Penn one of those schools that cares about their 75ths?

cogitoergosum

Postby cogitoergosum » Wed May 02, 2012 11:44 am

Mr. Somebody wrote:
cogitoergosum wrote:Something to support those hoping Penn will be after LSATs off the WL this year:

Thanks nice to see some hope for us splitters. Is Penn one of those schools that cares about their 75ths?

I'm not sure about Penn specifically, but more and more I don't see medians even reported; it's always 25th/75th (Perhaps because it's harder to game the combination 25th/75th than the median?). At any rate, if this is what people are seeing, I would think they try to maintain it.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Wed May 02, 2012 2:37 pm

I wonder when UPenn will come to us with a thumbs up/thumbs down after they count deposits? How long should that take?

cogitoergosum

Postby cogitoergosum » Thu May 03, 2012 9:46 am

msblaw89 wrote:I wonder when UPenn will come to us with a thumbs up/thumbs down after they count deposits? How long should that take?

Last year they posted on May 4th here: http://www.law.upenn.edu/prospective/jdinsights.html

They don't appear to be doing the JD insights thing this year though.

I have to say, I was kind of disappointed with how uneventful May 1st was... I had envisioned masses of people updating their profiles with withdraws after depositing elsewhere. Instead we got maybe one or two! :cry:

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Thu May 03, 2012 10:00 am

cogitoergosum wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:I wonder when UPenn will come to us with a thumbs up/thumbs down after they count deposits? How long should that take?

Last year they posted on May 4th here: http://www.law.upenn.edu/prospective/jdinsights.html

I have to say, I was kind of disappointed with how uneventful May 1st was... I had envisioned masses of people updating their profiles with withdraws after depositing elsewhere. Instead we got maybe one or two! :cry:

True, but I don't think most of the people keep up with it very much...I don't and on the Duke LSN only 26 people confirmed they were going while like 200 never said Yes or No

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Thu May 03, 2012 10:01 am

msblaw89 wrote:
cogitoergosum wrote:

True, but I don't think most of the people keep up with it very much...I don't and on the Duke LSN only 26 people confirmed they were going while like 200 never said Yes or No

Or they never said they withdrew, but clicking on their profile shows they were going to Columbia or something

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Thu May 03, 2012 4:37 pm

I think gravityrides is a perfect case and point that UPenn wants GPAs

cogitoergosum

Postby cogitoergosum » Thu May 03, 2012 4:40 pm

Last edited by cogitoergosum on Fri May 04, 2012 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gravityrides0

Postby gravityrides0 » Thu May 03, 2012 4:41 pm

cogitoergosum wrote:Yeah, totally... For those who haven't seen, this is from the Penn CO 2015 Thread:

gravityrides0 wrote:"Greetings from Penn Law – I hope all is well! I realize this is a busy period for you as your time at XXXXXX wraps up, so I will try to keep this message brief.

As you will read in another email tomorrow, the Admissions Committee anticipates making a few offers to applicants currently on our waitlist, and we expect to start that process early next week. Different members of the Committee will present various candidates, and I would like to discuss your file with the other members. Because we did receive a good number of seat deposits, we are not making very many new offers at this stage; moreover, we are focusing on applicants who are still interested in and able to enroll at Penn Law.

In short, I am writing to explore your availability to accept an offer off our waitlist at this time. Any updates since your last communication may also help as I discuss your file. Again, in light of the limited number of open spots at this time, the Committee will prioritize candidates who can make the transition work and who are willing to withdraw from any schools to which they have been admitted (only after receiving an admission offer from us, of course).

Please feel free to share your thoughts with me via email or at the number below. I look forward to hearing from you!"

hi guys

hichvichwoh

Postby hichvichwoh » Thu May 03, 2012 5:19 pm

oh man, i saw this on the website "Following our deposit deadline, we are now able to say that the incoming class is at capacity. The commitments received so far met our class target. Although we may extend new offers in the summer, we do not know how many or when those offers will be necessary. At any rate, waitlisted candidates may arrange for informational meetings with a staff member by calling our office. (Other helpful information was listed in the February 4 Insight.) "

But then i read the date, lol.

HotSauce

Postby HotSauce » Fri May 04, 2012 1:24 am

hichvichwoh wrote:oh man, i saw this on the website "Following our deposit deadline, we are now able to say that the incoming class is at capacity. The commitments received so far met our class target. Although we may extend new offers in the summer, we do not know how many or when those offers will be necessary. At any rate, waitlisted candidates may arrange for informational meetings with a staff member by calling our office. (Other helpful information was listed in the February 4 Insight.) "

Just scared me at first too with that post!

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Fri May 04, 2012 1:29 am

HotSauce wrote:
hichvichwoh wrote:oh man, i saw this on the website "Following our deposit deadline, we are now able to say that the incoming class is at capacity. The commitments received so far met our class target. Although we may extend new offers in the summer, we do not know how many or when those offers will be necessary. At any rate, waitlisted candidates may arrange for informational meetings with a staff member by calling our office. (Other helpful information was listed in the February 4 Insight.) "

Just scared me at first too with that post!

what a troll haha

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Fri May 04, 2012 12:19 pm

Only one person on tls got that email?

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Fri May 04, 2012 12:48 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:Only one person on tls got that email?

So far yes...part of me is secretly hoping it was a hoax...but then again, Gravity does have a 4.07 GPA

gravityrides0

Postby gravityrides0 » Fri May 04, 2012 12:55 pm

msblaw89 wrote:

So far yes...part of me is secretly hoping it was a hoax...but then again, Gravity does have a 4.07 GPA

haha, yeah but a shoddy LSAT... and no, it's not a hoax-- I'm as surprised as you are. i'm just scared he'll email me again next week and be like "oh we reviewed your app again and sorry we can't offer you admission..." I'm gonna be obsessively refreshing gmail starting Monday =/

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Fri May 04, 2012 12:57 pm

gravityrides0 wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:

haha, yeah but a shoddy LSAT... and no, it's not a hoax-- I'm as surprised as you are. i'm just scared he'll email me again next week and be like "oh we reviewed your app again and sorry we can't offer you admission..." I'm gonna be obsessively refreshing gmail starting Monday =/

I really don't think you have anything to worry about. I HIGHLY doubt they would reach out to you then slam the door in your face...that would be bad PR

gravityrides0

Postby gravityrides0 » Fri May 04, 2012 1:34 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
gravityrides0 wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:

I really don't think you have anything to worry about. I HIGHLY doubt they would reach out to you then slam the door in your face...that would be bad PR

yeah well i'm hoping for the best!

FYI i may remove the message from the forum in case it was only sent to a handful of people and they go on these forums. i know that's super paranoid of me haha. feel free to PM me!

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Fri May 04, 2012 1:39 pm

gravityrides0 wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:

Let.me in and I can help offset that shoddy lsat lol

cogitoergosum

Postby cogitoergosum » Fri May 04, 2012 1:39 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
gravityrides0 wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:

Yeah, as I'm reading it, this is the email equivalent of the call that people have talked about in prior years, which is essentially to make sure that they're not wasting their time on you if you're no longer interested. They're trying to fill spots now, and usually give people a few days to a week to accept an offer off the WL. If they have to go through three people to get a "yes" they could waste as many as three weeks, which is time that someone could be planning to move to Philly instead of signing a lease somewhere else and getting locked in. I think you're probably in if you want it.

gravityrides0

Postby gravityrides0 » Fri May 04, 2012 1:43 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:Let.me in and I can help offset that shoddy lsat lol

I'm rooting for you!! :)

cogitoergosum wrote:Yeah, as I'm reading it, this is the email equivalent of the call that people have talked about in prior years, which is essentially to make sure that they're not wasting their time on you if you're no longer interested. They're trying to fill spots now, and usually give people a few days to a week to accept an offer off the WL. If they have to go through three people to get a "yes" they could waste as many as three weeks, which is time that someone could be planning to move to Philly instead of signing a lease somewhere else and getting locked in. I think you're probably in if you want it.

hope you're right... and i won't need a few days to a week to accept, I'll take it on the spot. haha.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”