Penn Waitlist 2012 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
#ifdef

New

Penn Waitlist 2012

Post by #ifdef » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:30 pm

The "we like you but not enough" thread for Penn. Who's going to ride out the waitlist with me?

Decided, after the application ED deadline unfortunately, that Penn is my first choice. Got waitlisted and going to do whatever I can get get off the waitlist.

cogitoergosum

Silver

Re: Penn Waitlist 2012

Post by cogitoergosum » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:31 pm

Me too! Wrote an LOCI last week, hoping for some WL love!

#ifdef

New

Post by #ifdef » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:37 pm

cogitoergosum wrote:Me too! Wrote an LOCI last week, hoping for some WL love!
Hopefully good news for the both of us soon :). Penn doesn't start looking at the waitlisted candidates until at least May so I'm going to take my time writing the LOCI. I will (hopefully) have an updated resume by then.

FavoriteColorGRUE

Bronze

Post by FavoriteColorGRUE » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:13 pm

Going to ride this one out as well. g/l all!

tadlbb

Bronze

Post by tadlbb » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:39 am

Checking in. I'm going to ride this one out. My #1 is definitely penn. Hoping for good news eventually.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cogitoergosum

Silver

Post by cogitoergosum » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:42 am

Penn has years where they take LOTS off the waitlist, and other years where they take almost nobody. As I'm seeing it, I think our shot at Penn will largely depend on what kind of year this is. In my terrible neurosis, I've compiled some LSN data trying to find some statistical basis for a prediction about what this year's WL movement will look like. I can't say there's anything compelling here, but maybe one of you will see something I'm not.

Hoping this is a good WL year!

2005/2006

Accepted: 212
Accepted -> Attending: 37
Accepted -> Withdrawn: 105
% Accepted -> Withdrawn: 49.5%
Waitlisted: 140
Waitlisted -> Withdrawn: 50

WL -> Accepted: 14

2006/2007

Accepted: 204
Accepted -> Attending: 32
Accepted -> Withdrawn: 118
% Accepted -> Withdrawn: 57.8%
Waitlisted: 270
Waitlisted -> Withdrawn: 106

WL -> Accepted: 26

2007/2008

Accepted: 219
Accepted -> Attending: 30
Accepted -> Withdrawn: 111
% Accepted -> Withdrawn: 50.7
Waitlisted: 229
Waitlisted -> Withdrawn: 106

WL -> Accepted: 17

2008/2009

Accepted: 162
Accepted -> Attending: 31
Accepted -> Withdrawn: 79
% Accepted -> Withdrawn: 48.8
Waitlisted: 246
Waitlisted -> Withdrawn: 112

WL -> Accepted: 3

2009/2010

Accepted: 192
Accepted -> Attending: 36
Accepted -> Withdrawn: 82
% Accepted -> Withdrawn: 42.7
Waitlisted: 221
Waitlisted -> Withdrawn: 118

WL -> Accepted: 8

2010/2011

Accepted: 165
Accepted -> Attending: 30
Accepted -> Withdrawn: 71
% Accepted -> Withdrawn: 43.0
Waitlisted: 152
Waitlisted -> Withdrawn: 84

WL -> Accepted: 2

2011/2012 (as of April 26, 9:00am)

Accepted: 184
Accepted -> Attending: 27
Accepted -> Withdrawn: 70
% Accepted -> Withdrawn: 38.0%
Waitlisted: 221
Waitlisted -> Withdrawn: 107

WL -> Accepted: ?????

The only thing that I think might be taken to mean something positive for us is that we're still five days pre-deadline, and the % Accepted -> Withdrawn number is already creeping up close to the last two years' numbers.

(usual caveats regarding LSN imperfections etc. apply)

Lawbro

Bronze

Post by Lawbro » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:07 am

Nice data. The trend doesn't look too favorable though, the number of waitlisted people getting accepted has been getting smaller.

gravityrides0

Silver

Post by gravityrides0 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:32 am

Wow, I find it crazy that the WL--> accept has varied between years from 3 to in the 100s... Do you think this is poor planning on their part, experimentation in the admissions process (like with YP on the low WL-->accept years), or what? Way interesting.

I sent Penn a LOCI too, and am wondering what you all think about the optional essay... Penn is the only WL I am on that suggests an essay as a supplement for WLers. Do you think they would want something interesting or creative, or something very Why Penn-ish? Do you think doing an essay looks better than just writing a bunch of LOCIs, or do you think it doesn't really matter?

gravityrides0

Silver

Post by gravityrides0 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:35 am

Sidenote, also interesting that the proportion of withdrawn/ total WL has increased over the years. I wonder what Penn's ranking was back in '05?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:36 am

gravityrides0 wrote:Wow, I find it crazy that the WL--> accept has varied between years from 3 to in the 100s... Do you think this is poor planning on their part, experimentation in the admissions process (like with YP on the low WL-->accept years), or what? Way interesting.

I sent Penn a LOCI too, and am wondering what you all think about the optional essay... Penn is the only WL I am on that suggests an essay as a supplement for WLers. Do you think they would want something interesting or creative, or something very Why Penn-ish? Do you think doing an essay looks better than just writing a bunch of LOCIs, or do you think it doesn't really matter?
IS the essay different than the LOCI? On the WL email it says you can submit ONE addition 2 pages essay on your choice of topic

gravityrides0

Silver

Post by gravityrides0 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:14 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
gravityrides0 wrote:Wow, I find it crazy that the WL--> accept has varied between years from 3 to in the 100s... Do you think this is poor planning on their part, experimentation in the admissions process (like with YP on the low WL-->accept years), or what? Way interesting.

IS the essay different than the LOCI? On the WL email it says you can submit ONE addition 2 pages essay on your choice of topic
I assumed that adding a two page essay to your app was different/more formal than a LOCI... hmmmm. If you think that for Penn a LOCI = the "essay", then I guess I missed my shot since I have already submitted a LOCI. =/

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:27 pm

gravityrides0 wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:

I assumed that adding a two page essay to your app was different/more formal than a LOCI... hmmmm. If you think that for Penn a LOCI = the "essay", then I guess I missed my shot since I have already submitted a LOCI. =/
I mean I don't know how they decipher LOCI vs. essay... But I think you are fine

cogitoergosum

Silver

Post by cogitoergosum » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:44 pm

gravityrides0 wrote:Wow, I find it crazy that the WL--> accept has varied between years from 3 to in the 100s...
Well, the WL-> Accept has varied quite a bit, but not to the 100's... did you mean 10's?
gravityrides0 wrote:Sidenote, also interesting that the proportion of withdrawn/ total WL has increased over the years. I wonder what Penn's ranking was back in '05?
My guess is that this is due to the increasing number of people blanketing t-14. If you applied without a lot of thought, you probably are more likely to withdraw after WL.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:24 pm

Anyone think Penn will take one of us lovelies from the WL?

cogitoergosum

Silver

Post by cogitoergosum » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:24 pm

msblaw89 wrote:Anyone think Penn will take one of us lovelies from the WL?
I'm sure hoping so...

This has been a LONG six months... Remember the Cornell thread in its glory days? Pretty sweet you're in with $$ now. Must be a nice safety blanket as you ride other WL's. Jelly.

Mr. Somebody

Silver

Post by Mr. Somebody » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:33 pm

cogitoergosum wrote:
I'm sure hoping so...

This has been a LONG six months... Remember the Cornell thread in its glory days? Pretty sweet you're in with $$ now. Must be a nice safety blanket as you ride other WL's. Jelly.

Unfortunately, I don't think us splitters have much of a chance. Past cycles indicate Penn targets GPAs off the WL. Not a lot of data to go on though.

Nammertat

Silver

Post by Nammertat » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:40 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:
cogitoergosum wrote:
I'm sure hoping so...

Unfortunately, I don't think us splitters have much of a chance. Past cycles indicate Penn targets GPAs off the WL. Not a lot of data to go on though.
Are you referring to LSN data or do you have another source?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:52 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:
cogitoergosum wrote:
I'm sure hoping so...

Never caught your GPA...not sure my 3.8 would make the cut either

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:54 pm

cogitoergosum wrote:
I'm sure hoping so...

Don't you have some t14 on lockdown?

cogitoergosum

Silver

Post by cogitoergosum » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:57 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
cogitoergosum wrote:
I'm sure hoping so...

Don't you have some t14 on lockdown?
Not yet. Got into Gtown, but couldn't swing it geographically. Currently deposited at Fordham.

Mr. Somebody

Silver

Post by Mr. Somebody » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:09 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:
cogitoergosum wrote:
I'm sure hoping so...

Never caught your GPA...not sure my 3.8 would make the cut either
You're a median protector with that GPA, and with falling apps that would definitely make the cut.

Interesting note on LSN - in the previous three cycles going back to 08-09, only one person with a 170+ score has been accepted off the waitlist.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:22 pm

^^ I suppose that is good news for sub 170 scorers. I just hope Penn threw alot of acceptances at people who got into HYS

cogitoergosum

Silver

Post by cogitoergosum » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:37 pm

I've spent lots of time looking through previous years' LSN data from Penn. My take: they usually seem to be out for LSAT or GPA (not both), and indeed, during the more recent years it has been GPA that they're after. But I don't think this alone suggests that they will be after GPA this year. It will depend upon the statistical profiles of those withdrawing, which in turn will depend (partially) upon the statistical profiles YHSCCN acceptances. I'm hanging on to optimism because I think NYU has dipped lower than usual into the LSAT pool.

Maybe, just maybe Penn will need help with their LSAT 75th this year..

msblaw89

Gold

Post by msblaw89 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:41 pm

cogitoergosum wrote:I've spent lots of time looking through previous years' LSN data from Penn. My take: they usually seem to be out for LSAT or GPA (not both), and indeed, during the more recent years it has been GPA that they're after. But I don't think this alone suggests that they will be after GPA this year. It will depend upon the statistical profiles of those withdrawing, which in turn will depend (partially) upon the statistical profiles YHSCCN acceptances. I'm hanging on to optimism because I think NYU has dipped lower than usual into the LSAT pool.

And solidifying its GPA median

cogitoergosum

Silver

Post by cogitoergosum » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:43 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
cogitoergosum wrote:I've spent lots of time looking through previous years' LSN data from Penn. My take: they usually seem to be out for LSAT or GPA (not both), and indeed, during the more recent years it has been GPA that they're after. But I don't think this alone suggests that they will be after GPA this year. It will depend upon the statistical profiles of those withdrawing, which in turn will depend (partially) upon the statistical profiles YHSCCN acceptances. I'm hanging on to optimism because I think NYU has dipped lower than usual into the LSAT pool.

And solidifying its GPA median
Yes, that too :D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”