Phi Beta Kappa Addendum/LOCI

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ACROOS170

Phi Beta Kappa Addendum/LOCI

Postby ACROOS170 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:50 pm

There has been some discussion about what warrants an addendum with a letter of continued interest. I was recently offered admission into Phi Beta Kappa... Would that warrant an updated resume? I haven't done anything new to get it but it is just an award based on what is already in my transcript/resume. My initial thought is NO, but I thought I would ask the TLS faithful for suggestions.

gravityrides0

Re: Phi Beta Kappa Addendum/LOCI

Postby gravityrides0 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:56 pm

ACROOS170 wrote:There has been some discussion about what warrants an addendum with a letter of continued interest. I was recently offered admission into Phi Beta Kappa... Would that warrant an updated resume? I haven't done anything new to get it but it is just an award based on what is already in my transcript/resume. My initial thought is NO, but I thought I would ask the TLS faithful for suggestions.

I would probs wait and add it to a LOCI when it's time to write a LOCI for you... if you add it as an addendum/new resume, it may slow things down for you? not sure though, that's tricky... I'm Phi Beta Kappa too btw... isn't it the most special, random surprise? :)

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:29 pm

There was a similar discussion a few months ago on the Law School Admissions Forum (about adding Phi Beta Kappa to a CV, I think).

I think most people thought it would be best not to add it - although a solid minority said they would/had. A few people even thought it displayed bad judgment (suggesting that Phi Beta Kappa is little more than a "Who's Who" scam).

I agree with the comment above: you might as well add it to an LOCI - it gives you something to say, at the least, and reminds them that you have a good GPA - but it doesn't seem like something that would be worth an LOCI on its own.

staloysius

Postby staloysius » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:34 pm

-
Last edited by staloysius on Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gravityrides0

Postby gravityrides0 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:37 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:There was a similar discussion a few months ago on the Law School Admissions Forum (about adding Phi Beta Kappa to a CV, I think).

I think most people thought it would be best not to add it - although a solid minority said they would/had. A few people even thought it displayed bad judgment (suggesting that Phi Beta Kappa is little more than a "Who's Who" scam).

I agree with the comment above: you might as well add it to an LOCI - it gives you something to say, at the least, and reminds them that you have a good GPA - but it doesn't seem like something that would be worth an LOCI on its own.

Yeah I think it looks kind of douchey to submit an addendum just for PBK since, as OP said, you don't actually *do* anything... but I really do think it's worth mentioning in a LOCI... it shows you were at the top of your class at your college, and it is definitely not a scam. Most other honors societies are a joke, but PBK is legit. When I got my invitation I thought "oh, cool I guess" and shrugged it off... but when I told my grandma she almost started crying. it's historically an honor to be a PBK... BUT definitely not worth nagging adcomms about in a LOCI if you have nothing else to say... a ton of PBK people apply to law school. I'm sure it's a slight resume boost, but it's not going to get you off a waitlist or anything, that's for sure.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:39 pm

It is a signal that you received great grades, which is already reflected by your GPA. It couldn't hurt for a LOCI, but probably won't help.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”